Sign in to follow this  
ag_smith

Uss nimitz by hawk & dasquade

This is the neatest addon I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I remember back in the days when a REAL landable carrier was impossible.

I DEMAND (yes, thats right DEMAND) somebody post some links to aircraft addons in this topic. tounge_o.gif

I don't think the carrier is to scale (the real one would seem even larger, I would think) but you could literally play a deathmatch game onboard it (the real life one and the even the addon)

Also, how come the defensive missiles miss some simple WWI Camels? And fire real late? Also notice when they're destroyed a AI west guy pops out? I bet you can man one with moveingunner...

I am also impressed, obviously still beta (its got HMS Hermes Icon!!!)

It seems Hawk worked out how to place it without it being a 'group' which as I guessed would involve scripting (anyone checked this works in mp?).

This partly explains why I didn't do it that way, am not that good with scripting.

So far all I can say is WOW, makes Hermes seems quite a little ship..

Yeah this carrier is Ownage only one thing....

There is a parking lot for the pleanes underneat but it's not enterbale. I hope HAWK could make the lift works and at the parking lot for the planes.

Wow, this is one sweet addon. Makes you realise how big these beasts really are. Running fore to aft takes ages! biggrin_o.gif

Unfortunately I can't get any of the defence systems to work. The Phalanx guns seem to start unmanned (you can get in them and operate them) and the Sea Sparrows won't fire at enemy aircraft. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Hmm are you sure this BETA is meant for public rock.gif I'd feel guilty downloading it if its not sad_o.gif

It's available on his public ftp, so he is probably aware of the fact that anybody can find and download it. rock.gif

you hope tounge_o.gif i just reinstalled ofp after i reformated downloading everythig i like biggrin_o.gif so much stuff this is very nice biggrin_o.gif

The catapults are kind of tricky. AFAIK, only the forwardmost catapults work (3 & 4) and you have to angle your nose at along the ship's bearing, but not along the catapult's bearing. I aligned myself to the catapult, and the launcher told me my nose was still too far to the left.

There are also a couple of shallow holes in the deck just forward of the arresting wires, where if you drive or walk into them, your vehicle will start bouncing around like mad.

Otherwise, I'm still highly impressed.

The catapults are kind of tricky. AFAIK, only the forwardmost catapults work (3 & 4) and you have to angle your nose at along the ship's bearing, but not along the catapult's bearing. I aligned myself to the catapult, and the launcher told me my nose was still too far to the left.

There are also a couple of shallow holes in the deck just forward of the arresting wires, where if you drive or walk into them, your vehicle will start bouncing around like mad.

Otherwise, I'm still highly impressed.

Hm lets see what else...

When behind the conn tower\bridge, everything on the other side (objects) turns invisible...

Fall out windows in tower...

AI AA missile silos can't hit the broad side of a barn.

AI gatling guns can't either, but they're a little better then the AA missile.

They both have slow reaction time...

Hm... besides that everything is peacy, I think.

Night.

HOLY BUTTCRAP!!!!!!!

this is good, but to the extent of how good you may not realise, you can actually use the catapults for helos too, looks strange but seriously cool biggrin_o.gif

i'll tell ya'all how tod o it later, or if your that interested pm me

HOLY BUTTCRAP!!!!!!!

this is good, but to the extent of how good you may not realise, you can actually use the catapults for helos too, looks strange but seriously cool biggrin_o.gif

i'll tell ya'all how tod o it later, or if your that interested pm me

How do you do it?? I just tried and I end up meeting the deck at a rate of knots head first!

Hey guys, keep in mind that it's still half-unofficial beta. Let's just wait and hopefully Hawk will fix all the problems, especially the ones concerning on-board weapons.

get your helo roughly over the deck of the carrier and put on auto hover then gently and carefully while still high above the carrier move over to one of the catapults (i usually pick catty 2, 2nd tot he right when facing the front of the ship) and then hover down until your over the catty and face the right direction, if the catapult option doesnt show up make sure your facing the same angle as the catty strip and then lower yourself down a litle bit more (a hint so you dont crash, once the catapult starts counting down, switch OFF autohover as it makes you do the curve everytime and if your too low to the deck will destroy you, but launching with autohover off from pactically on the deck wont do any damage at all)

another thing ive noticed is if you leave autohover on, and stay adecent amount above the deck (like not really close about the height of a crouched soldier, the pic below also show the probable correct height you should be at to get no damage) you end up doing this super cool curve sorta like ___/ (but not as steep) its really good and cool looking, lol (tried the catapult helo launch with both the Regular AH-64 and the BAS littlebird, with my knowledge ive had ZERO problems getting em to take off this is one bug i hope isnt taken out because it is really fun (:D)

heres a pic just before catapult flings me biggrin_o.gif

Crazy Fun

Hey smith........ive noticed that although you cant assign people to them (well on the completely assembled versions) there is nothing stopping you walking up and then getting in them biggrin_o.gif, not much needs fixing cept the weapons, the lifts (and opening hangar doors leading to cargo bay i think) and a few minor clipping problems but hey......i always liekd to swim biggrin_o.gif

Just a size comparision for you all:

carriers2.jpg

From the left:

HMS Hermes by Falklands Mod

Admiral Kuznecov by ivan6425

USS Nimitz by DaSquade & Hawk

im amazed, the catapult can launch ANY moveable vehicle, so far ive tried a tank(m1a1), KLR 50 Bike and other stuff........its SO cool biggrin_o.gif but you cant launch yourself off it sad_o.gif( lol

Holy crap thats huge compared to the Hermes! Very nice! Are the catapults animated?

ag_smith tell hawk some bugs I noticed some parts you fall of and with landing choppers with the action menu you get on some the chopper crash to tower so he knows it maybe he knows that bugs but anyway wink_o.gif

One step closer to independence lost i guess. Its really amazing, and so cool to move around on the tower and bridge.

Its a shame OPF planes dont move back so we could manuever them and park them on the carrier, some navy sailors and those guys who operate on deck would also be great. Just made some nice landings with F18 hornet c by Hudson&Pennywise, its easier than landing on the ground wow_o.gif . only slight prob was when i folded the wings the jet started to jump and tiped over but thats not related to this addon...

One of the most amazing betas i ever had to pleasure to try, i wasnt expecting all this from such a small file, i cant believe this will get even better, big thanks to Hawk and Dasquade, unbelievable work and gift to OPF players smile_o.gif .

This is definately the best US. Carrier available! (hehe)

I do have doubts about it though, It doesn't really look like a Nimitz. The parts that catch my eye are the rear flight deck, the island and the radar near the meatball... what the hell is that supposed to be anyway?! I think the author used too much of his imagination, especially with the rear of the ship

nimitz8.jpg

As you can see, there is no large H for helicopters. He probably got the idea off the HMS Hermes. Also the flight deck is shaped differently.

The island should be further right and there should be a yellow vertical bar at the rear end of the ship. When the aircraft is aligned with the landing deck the bar is aligned with the runway's yellow centerline. He also should work on the Phalanx guns and the Sea Sparrow launchers.

Also the script's messages should be reworked. The arresting script could start with selecting "Call LSO" from the action menu, He then tells you something like "Wonder, Bearing *** range ****. Clear deck, call the ball in 3/4 miles. ". In 3/4 the script checks if the aircraft's heading matches the deck's heading and calls "Roger ball!" or "Wave off!" Maybe some voice files could be added to these scripts.

The range between the aircraft to the arresting wires should also be a LOT less. The aircraft needs to touch down at the wires or else there's no arrest. The LSO Should also call "Trap!" or "Cut power" after a succesful arrest or "Bolter!" if the aircraft misses the wires. Also The pilot should stay in the cockpit and exit whenever he feels like it.

As for the catapult scripts, the stupid countdown and "go, go, go" needs to be done away with. When the catapult gets ready to launch and the aircraft goes to full throttle the catapult officer could call "Going into tension" and "Cat 1/2/3/4" depending on the catapult when the aircraft is launched. Smoke and sound effects could be added too.

Anyway... it's still beta and the author has plenty of time to correct this.

Anyway... it's still beta and the author has plenty of time to correct this.

Imagining all the work and time they must have spent doing this amazing carrier for free public release i could care less if the final version is called Nimitz or something else. It is similar but most importantly it looks awsome and it works great, would it be worth the trouble to make dramatic model changes just so it looks more like the real thing? Im more than satisfied with this beta w00t smile_o.gif .

I just hope Hawk and Dasquade never loose their imagination if they continue to create outstanding units to OPF wink_o.gif .