Sign in to follow this  
lennin

Ofp community history project

Dont want to be a beach bum but wat was OFPN. rock.gif

I bangged my head alot.........yes..........thats a good excuse biggrin_o.gif

the old times...

I remember my first "contribution" to the community, I digged all the scripting commands from the 1.0 exe shortly after the final version was out and posted it to the operationflashpoint.com forums. That I dont have anymore, but a bit later I made this with some descriptions too, though shortly after making that lustypooh (was it?) made a much better version so mine was a bit useless.

The first addon experiments I did was with some beta addons that leaked from BIS when OFP was at version 1.1 I believe. After playing a bit with the Su25 and Trabant, I wanted to know how those things were made. I managed to extract the PBO with some mission pbo extractor tool, and found the config.cpp file which apparently defined everything the addon was, and in a simple-to-edit manner. So I edited the Su-25 a bit, I only changed the name first I think (propbaly to "test" or something similar) but I couldn't get the edited version back to a PBO file, I cant remember was it because of the lack of a PBO making tool or that some PBO tool meant for missions didnt work for some reason with the addon. Then I figured that the OFP mission editor makes PBO's out of mission directories, so I used that to pack the edited addon back to a PBO file (as in, copied all the files from the addon PBO to a mission directory and exported that mission from the editor, the game didnt seem to mind having an extra mission.sqm file in the addon ;), and *poof*, it worked.

After that test I did another test, this time it was a Su-25 with some properties copied from the Trabant, which resulted in a flying Trabant smile_o.gif

shot 1, shot 2, shot 3

At the same time I was doing these, I remember the-lone-wolf did some similar things, and I think he released some colored smokes addon. After this, I dont remember too well how things went forward. I think the first ever addon I released to the public was the "objects1" addon which added trees and buildings to the mission editor, and then the "objects2" addon which added even more objects. Gunslingers "editor upgrade" was based on these, he did alot of work on giving proper names for all the objects which I only named "tree 1", "tree 2", and so forth. If you'll extract some Gunslingers Editor Upgrade version, you'll find a mission.sqm file as he was still using the mission editor to make PBO's at that time smile_o.gif

Also I remember that some patch added support for JPG files, meant for the custom faces, which I tried to use to replace textures for islands with a hex editor in the WRP file. At first I did a typo for the file path, which resulted in a plain white ground for Kolgujev, from which I got the idea for the first winter island after I noticed the typo and got my custom JPG ground texture working. At some point I released an islands addon with some ground textures replaced from Kolgujev and Desert Island.

shot

I also did some more texture replacements, at that time there were no tools available to read PAA/PAC files so the only option was to re-draw the whole textures, while guessing what it should contain and where. I remember some addons I made such as the M16 Shotgun (the texture was made from an edited in-game screenshot of the M16 with grenade launcher) and the Javelin AT missile launcher. At this time many people were already doing all kinds of tests with addons and ofpec had tutorials and forums about addon configs. BIS didn't seem to have anything againist making addons and people editing things from the game, and they released texview at some point which was a nice sign that it was really OK to do this stuff (I remember with the islands1 addon, I didn't want to put the edited WRP files straight into the addon as I was worried with distributing the files from the game so I programmed a small tool that replaces paths from the WRP files).

The Winter Kolgujev version with snowy trees and bushes, instead of just a replaced ground texture, was the addon many people remember me from. When I released that I even got an email from Marek where he told me it was amazing which was really nice. He also told me that they were planning on doing an official Winter Kolgujev before I released mine, which got me thinking that if I hadn't released mine, would BIS have released a much better winter island? ;P

After that test I did another test, this time it was a Su-25 with some properties copied from the Trabant, which resulted in a flying Trabant smile_o.gif

shot 1, shot 2, shot 3

Harry Potter got nothing on you. tounge_o.gif

Yeah even though ive been around the ofp comunity for awhile i missed alot of the eraly stuff that happened here as i used to bum around oflash.org as the adf forums were there and would like to see something like this.

just one question what were the ofpn forums a forerunner to the bis ones we have now?

shot 1, shot 2, shot 3

An oldie: search The FAQ for "flying bmp". tounge_o.gif

flyingbmps.jpg

@Kegety.

One song togo with your Flying Trabent

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love, Hi ho Chitty Chitty Bang Bang we love you too."

biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  It could very well be I made that shot! I remember sending you shots of flying BMP's right after the first people (including myself) reported the bug on the forums.  smile_o.gif

If I knew for certain it was you, I would gladly credit you for it.

Since I can't, the least I can do is belatedly thank you for the heads up. smile_o.gif

just some stuff I can think of

[spring 2001]

- 0.36 Demo

- Axleonline (@gamespy) hosts custom demo missions

- 1.00 comes out

- Operationflashpoint.com forums become my forum home

- ofp.com goes down about a month after the release of OFP

- Axleonline becomes my new forum home

- Kegetys releases a cessna with machinegun (wow! at the time)

- Config edited addons start apearing more

- reskinning becomes possible with Texview and texswap

- Axleonline goes down

- MMGN (OFPMatch) forums become my home

- Red Hammer falls upon Nato (I never got Red Hammer tbh wow_o.gif)

- remodeling of demo models becomes possible with xpack, p3d2obj, milkshape and obj2p3d

- O2 goes into beta (for wich you had to sign up, I still got the letter from BIS in my room somewhere biggrin_o.gif)

- I release a human missile equiped A10

- Resistance strikes back

- MMGN (OFPMatch) starts to disintegrate and goes down

- screenshot of human missile A10 reaches PC Gamer UK and wins me a soundcard biggrin_o.gif

- O2 becomes public

[summer 2002]

thats my (personal) contribution for now, ive left out mission editing and island editing because I never got into that. tounge_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  It could very well be I made that shot! I remember sending you shots of flying BMP's right after the first people (including myself) reported the bug on the forums.  smile_o.gif

If I knew for certain it was you, I would gladly credit you for it.

Since I can't, the least I can do is belatedly thank you for the heads up. smile_o.gif

You can't eat credits (or were you talking about crackers? tounge_o.gif). It was just fun to see that picture again.

we need an evolution of addons. It should go something like this:

The Evolution of EAST Soldier:

BIS>>LSR>ORCS>S&E Naval Infantry :P

http://members.lycos.co.uk/milkman06/evolution.jpg

Man u better stick UCE somewhere there, without him many would have dropped OFP way before these came out.  tounge_o.gif

I originally had UCE's Naval infantry in there but they wouldn't show up ingame so I had to leave him out. sad_o.gif

Hmm, I just remember how I started scripting because I died all the time when ejecting out of Su-25 at low altitudes (in that times you were simply set beside the plane). Result was the first ejection seat...damn I was proud about that one...

just some stuff I can think of

[spring 2001]

- 0.36 Demo

- Axleonline (@gamespy) hosts custom demo missions

- 1.00 comes out

- Operationflashpoint.com forums become my forum home

- ofp.com goes down about a month after the release of OFP

- Axleonline becomes my new forum home

- Kegetys releases a cessna with machinegun (wow! at the time)

- Config edited addons start apearing more

- Axleonline goes down

- MMGN (OFPMatch) forums become my home

- Red Hammer falls upon Nato (I never got Red Hammer tbh wow_o.gif)

- remodeling of demo models becomes possible with xpack, p3d2obj, milkshape and obj2p3d

- O2 goes into beta (for wich you had to sign up, I still got the letter from BIS in my room somewhere biggrin_o.gif)

- I release a human missile equiped A10

- Resistance strikes back

- MMGN (OFPMatch) starts to disintegrate and goes down

- screenshot of human missile A10 reaches PC Gamer UK and wins me a soundcard biggrin_o.gif

- O2 becomes public

[summer 2002]

thats my (personal) contribution for now, ive left out mission editing and island editing because I never got into that. tounge_o.gif

I remember downloading tons of those custom demo missions on my old 56k, I have been with OFP from the start. But I never surfed any of the forums due to that ultra slow, and ultra expensive 56k connection (8.50 SEK/H)

Like Kegetys said, reskinning was possible before those tools. I remember reading tutorials about hex-editing and viewing new textures in mission overview window tounge_o.gif.

Whatever happened to Ruskie?

Remember the deal with him and his giant star?

Hahaha, good times.

And I was a newbie asking daily how the bloody hell to add actions to objects... wait, I still am (okay, I know how to do almost everything now; I actually have a coop mission in the works. we'll see soon </shameless plug>)

Do these boards still have the giant star avatar?

Heh.

I joined the wonderful world of OFP when 0.36 demo was released. I didn't feel so good and I took a day of from school tounge_o.gif. Then I decided to download the demo, and since then I've been playing or editing for OFP.

My first success in addon making was Resistance BMP2 which was a remake of dberka's Resistance BMP. And it even made to OFP-info's addons section biggrin_o.gif.

Then in spring 2003 I joined FDF mod and became one its texture makers. It all began when I tried to retexture Sigma's T72M1 to finnish colours, it was also the first time I really tried to use Photoshop's features in texture making. Then in few weeks I learned how to make good textures from scratch smile_o.gif. In case someone is interested here's full list of things I made or edited textures for:

BMP1, BMP2, T72M1, T55M, T54, Leopard 2, ItPsv 90, CV9030, BTR-60, R-Vene, bicycle, reservists, Masi, Rasi + some new thingies that will be in 1.3 wink_o.gif.

shot 1, shot 2, shot 3

I bet u the author of Harry POTter (obviously has smoked some heavy stuff but regardless) has also played OFP and copied ur idea. This is clear violation of intelectual propert rights. Sue them.

dont forget the official stunt treath tounge_o.gif

Indeed, that was great. We should have a "best thread of all times" election, there were some really good. Remember the old 'Trivia' thread started by L24A were people asked and answered each others trivia-questions.

Or the 'Bang your head on the keyboard' thread. biggrin_o.gif

Of course, these days such a thread wouldn't last five minutes, but amazingly it went on for pages and pages, mainly of nothing but people's personal 'results' like aklskfjweroi. LOL. tounge_o.gif

Best time for me was in the days of the 3dactionplanet forum where we all had cartoony faces and there was the ultra-useful forum with all the latest replies in it so you didn't have to trawl through each section individually. That was the time when Wobble, Pete, Lowjack, et al were the main posters. Funny how those guys were so prominent and then pretty much disappeared without a word. Maybe they got bored of OFP or found another game or forum to pass the time. Wobble always amused me with his bizarre midget fascination. Oh yes, and Placebo wasn't a moderator! He was just one of the guys. Same with Ex-Ronin.

Ah, those were the days. And I could go on forever about them. Is the forum getting sentimental in its old age? unclesam.gif

and Placebo wasn't a moderator! He was just one of the guys. Same with Ex-Ronin.

I'm afraid your memory is half failing you, I was always a moderator from day one of the actionplanet forums, it was before that when the forums were hosted through http://www.ofpnetwork(don't go here, owner sold it to a skanky adult site).com/ that I wasn't a moderator smile_o.gif

If you want a flashback here are the old 3dactionplanet forums smile_o.gif

http://www.forumplanet.com/3dactionplanet/opflashpoint/index.asp People are still posting in there crazy_o.gif

kevinblake came back and he didn't tell us, nor did avon wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gifmad_o.gif

He could have had the decency to say 'hi' at least mad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ](don't go here, owner sold it to a skanky adult site).

Thats more a invitation to some people then a deterent biggrin_o.gif