Sign in to follow this  
Gollum1

Return of the king

I really liked ROTK. It was my favorite book, acctually I read them all together, in one volume, but by far my favorite. The movie did a better job than I ever could have hoped for. It was really strange that nothing more was shown of Gimli and Leogolas. I missed that. Also it would have been really nice to see the completion of Aragorn and Arwen story. Anyways, it was a really great movie, and I thouroghly enjoyed it.

All the Gaps you mention above will be in the Extended edition DVD dude! dont you worry about that!

I have seen it, and the Battle for Gondor is about 25 minutes longer !

smile_o.gif

All the Gaps you mention above will be in the Extended edition DVD dude! dont you worry about that!

smile_o.gif

Except the Scouring of the Shire. Apparently they didn't even bother shooting it.

Quote[/b] ]All the Gaps you mention above will be in the Extended edition DVD dude! dont you worry about that!

Funny, cause in a recent interview Peter Jackson estimated the extended DVD would be about 40 minutes longer WHEN HE DID IT. Future tense.

Just got back from seeing it myself. It was of course great, but I found many things lacking that I think were important for the story. And there was a bit to much attention to stuff that wasn't as important.

But still, it is a great movie in its own right.

I saw it today too, and had the same feeling. They should've made 4 films, splitting the last book in two. The battle at Minas Tirith and the journey through Mordor just seemed too easy when shown at this speed.

And it was a bloody shame they didn't included the scouring of the shire. Before watching I was informed it wasn't included, but I thoughed they would've found another way for Wormtongue to finish off Saruman, but that was completely left out sad_o.gif

Anyway, despite the critisism above, it was a great film! A good job filming that what seemed impossible, and a nice ending to the serie in which, just as in the books, the second part is the best in my oppinion.

Awesome. I haven't seen it yet, but I'm a HUGE J.R.R. Tolkien fan. I must have read the trilogy about 10 times since I was 8 yrs old and so far I've very much enjoyed the first two movies by Peter Jackson even if they did leave things out.

I've been busy working to meet deadlines so I haven't been able to go out to see a movie, but I can't to see it. From what you guys say, it seems about what I expect...although I'm kinda disapointed that you guys say that the story of Arwen and Aragorn are not told to the conclusion. I hope the DVD version has that. The passing of Arwen at the end of the Return of the King is truly heart wrenching. sad_o.gif There was a glimpse of that in "The Two Towers" when Elrond was telling her what would happen if she was to choose Aragorn as her husband. That scene and the incredibly sad music brought tears to my eyes.

To me, that and the passing of the Elves, Gandalf, Frodo, ect.. into the west to Tol Eresea (I think that's the name of the mythical island) is truly the end of the story...well sort of.

There is still the amazing prequel story of the Silmarillion. The actual book bombed because Tolkien's son Christopher wrote it like a history book so its very dull. However quite smartly he published the original versions of the Silmarillion in his father's original words (with notes and all) and the difference is dramatic. The story of Beren and Tinuviel (sp?) is as beautifully written as the Lord of the Rings in my opinion. There is also the story of the fall of Gondolin (sp?), the eleven kingdom from which the sword of Gandalf (Glamdring-the Goblin Cleaver), and Frodo (Sting) came from. More interesting it has very odd prophecies and things that make you feel as if you're reading some great religious text from ancient times.

There is also much in there about the origins of the 9 rings and the one ring that rules them all. What's so cool is how little things in the Lord of the Rings tie into the greater story of the Silmarillion. Like that little glass vial that Galadriel gave to Frodo upon leaving Lothlorien... in it is a bit of the Silmaril if I remember correctly.

Anyhoo.... I hope that Peter Jackson will seek to create the Silmarillion based upon the Book of Lost Tales. If I remember correctly Legolas is in that story as was Elrond and Galadriel (since they are immortal) so he'd have to make it soon to use the same actors. But I'm sure right now he's taking a well deserved rest. smile_o.gif

I personally thought that the trilogy could never been given justice by any movie, but I think Peter Jackson has proven me wrong by capturing the power and beauty of the triology remarkably well even if a few bits were left out or the story altered slightly for various reasons.

So anyhoo... I say we petition Mr. Jackson to do the Silmarillion!!!! smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I say we petition Mr. Jackson to do the Silmarillion!!!!

lol how should that work? It's not even one real story. It's more like a history book. Hehehe maybe a "histroy channel"-like TV spin-off series

I watched the movie last night and I thought It was pretty good.Pretty intense fighting scenes and could you imagine those freekin orcs busting down your door!!

Yes that's what I said in my post...the Silmarillion reads like a history book.  However the Book of Lost Tales most definitely does not.  It is the original writings of J.R.R. Tolkien from which the Silmarillion is based upon.  Read it sometime and you'll see what I'm talking about.   If the story of Beren and Tenuviel (I think her name later was changed to Luthien in the final versions in J.R.R. Tolkien's notes)  alone I think would be worthy of a beautiful movie.  The closest I've seen to it so far is the movie "Legend".   It was directed by Ridley Scott however he never mentions the "Silmarillion" as having anything to do with the idea for that movie even though their stories are incredibly similar. Lili dancing around the dark lord in the movie is almost identical to that of Luthien dancing around Morgoth who in the Silmarillion is essentially Satan and who Sauron is but one of his servants. (Shelob the spider and the Balrog from "Fellowship of the Ring" were other such servants of Morgoth).

In both stories Luthien and Lili transform themselves to seduce and enchant the dark lords. In the Silmarillian she turns into a vampire bat-like creature as she dances for Morgoth while in Legend Lili turns into some kind of dark vampire-like creature as she dances to seduce the dark lord. In the Silmarillion her and Beren steal the silmarillion, while in Legend they steal the unicorn's horn back.

However in the Silmarillion it is the Valar that ultimately cast Morgoth into "the void" while in Legend, the character played by Tom Cruise does this.

At any rate, I still think the story of Beren and Luthien (or Tinuviel) would make for a wonderful movie along with other bits of the Book of Lost Tales.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

What I didn't like is the long "Gay Hobbit happiness" ending.

I haven't read the books, so I'm not sure if it's appropiate.

Overall ROTK is a good film imo. crazy_o.gif

Just saw it today, (It was released here boxing day, thanks stupid cinema traditions)

Anyway, it was a great film, but it went a tad too long for my liking. There were many opportunites for the director to cut it shorter in the final scenes, after the ring was disposed, and in my stubborness, I drank a jumbo Coke (after a big night out), so I was dying to releave myself about 30 minutes from the end, and cursing that the damn thing kept dragging on. There was about four occasions where I thought the film had actually ended.

Good film though. I think theres room for another installment, but we'll see.

i saw it today too, surely the final scenes cutting is not really good(and about the "Gay Hobbit happiness".........well its really "gay" imo), but well, it still a great film

Saw it a 2nd time yesterday...still GREAT, but I did notice that oft-mentioned "endless parade of false endings".

Twice or thrice the movie fades to black after a semi-suitable ending, leaving the audience confused and almost saying "IS THIS IT!?"

The Charge of the Rohirrim sent shivers down my spine! Brr! biggrin_o.gif

The never-ending ending is obviously a result of having to patch together a suitable cut of the film in time for a theatrical release. I wouldn't be surprised to see the extended edition have a much different ending.

The ending is a bit too long but I'm very glad that they included the Grey Havens as I really thought they'd leave it out and just have it all end at Mt Doom / Minas T. Best scene in the film has to be the charge of the Roherim. That was just awesome.

It's good, I liked it. There is however one bad thing in common for the entire series: they don't utilize the film medium. You can clearly see that it is a very literal adaption of a book and as such it doesn't fully use cinematic paradigms as a base.

It's sort of more of a visualization of the books, rather than something built for the big screen. I think it could had been a lot better, had they not been so attached to the books and had they taken more artistic liberties and fully used the film medium. Film narration is actually quite different than book narration, and I think that Peter Jackson missed that entirely.

Otherwise it's very nice and visually stunning. I havn't read the books, so I have no complaints there.

It's good, I liked it. There is however one bad thing in common for the entire series: they don't utilize the film medium. You can clearly see that it is a very literal adaption of a book and as such it doesn't fully use cinematic paradigms as a base.

It's sort of more of a visualization of the books, rather than something built for the big screen. I think it could had been a lot better, had they not been so attached to the books and had they taken more artistic liberties and fully used the film medium. Film narration is actually quite different than book narration, and I think that Peter Jackson missed that entirely.

Otherwise it's very nice and visually stunning. I havn't read the books, so I have no complaints there.

crazy_o.gif burn the heretic tounge_o.gif

I havent read the books either, but it was a great movie. A few editing mistakes here and there (people with their hands in the air in one cut have them behind their back in the next), but it was still entertaining.

I didnt dislike the LoTR movies, but neither did i really enjoy them, read the book maybe a dozen times before watching any of the movies, didnt quite capture middle earth or the characters the way i pictured. Not saying its a bad trilogy but could of been better imo, spose they had to appease the masses sad_o.gif

just watched it yesterday and its by far my favorite of the trilogy.

I read LOTR some 20 years ago *feels old*  sad_o.gif  and all the scenes i pictured are so bloody similar to what the movie is...Peter Jackson was a spot on choice for director role (rumour has it he is a Hobbit).

Quote[/b] ]Best scene in the film has to be the charge of the Roherim.
Aye,it was brilliant,and true to the fact that the cavalry always gets there late biggrin_o.gif

Edit: Problem is that my girlfriend has become maniacaly jealous of Liv Tyler blues.gif

Quote[/b] ]Peter Jackson was a spot on choice for director role (rumour has it he is a Hobbit).

Indeed a relative of Bilbo. Aside from his three obvious cameos, the little portraits over Bilbo's fireplace are Peter and ( as I remember ) Fran Walsh.

Actually, I've been a fan of Peter Jackson for a while and I always thought he was a good choice and if I don't agree with all his decisions I don't honestly think we could have had a much better adaption.

I just watched 'The ninth Gate' last night having just read the book and it was a horrible, distorted mess. It reminded me that these films had a LOT more respect for the source material than most adaptions ever show.

Man I hated the ending, it was like 30 minutes!! It plays then blacks out and everyone thinks its over and then it comes back on again!! Argh crazy_o.gif

I felt sorry for Theodan, getting a little emotional there when watching him die. He was one of my favorite characters. Dunno why, but he was.

I saw it like 2 weeks ago. Im going to go see it again today also.

I thought it was really good. One of the best movies ive seen yet.

Anyone think they should make the hobbit into a movie? I sure do. I think that was a pretty good book. Not as great as the LOTR but worth seeing.

Out of all the the movies which was your favorite?