Sign in to follow this  
Gollum1

Return of the king

The Big Moment is here...The third instalment of the film version of the Lord Of The Rings trilogy is having its world premiere tomorrow Dec.17.

Please share all your opinions in this thread. smile_o.gif

I have read the books three times, once in Finnish, once in Swedish and once in English and I own the Extended Edition DVDs, so I'm a bit of a fan. wink_o.gif

I'm going to see it 00.03 tonight (they only really get to show it Dec.17 so...) with some of my friends.

Going to have to drink lots of Red Bull to keep me awake! Wish me luck. wink_o.gif

1565116690.jpg

Edit: And yes, we all know that there is an animated version also, so no need to be a smartass. wink_o.gif

Well i am going to see all the 3 at the same time, so if you have free coca cola or red bulls then send em to me please smile_o.gif

Don't worry, I get to see it tonight! (I love having mates who work at the cinema. There will only be ten of us, so there will be no annoying little kids! )

I'll hold off on spoilers till you all see if though.

Well i am going to see all the 3 at the same time, so if you have free coca cola or red bulls then send em to me please  smile_o.gif

Ugh.

That sounds like a good idea now, but when the 3rd one comes up you'll be physically and mentally exhausted. sad_o.gif

...I'll bet.

Well i am going to see all the 3 at the same time, so if you have free coca cola or red bulls then send em to me please  smile_o.gif

Ugh.

That sounds like a good idea now, but when the 3rd one comes up you'll be physically and mentally exhausted. sad_o.gif

...I'll bet.

i am going to take a sleep 8 hours before it starts, it should be fine until the end of the 3..

i hope..

Eh? I think you've got it wrong, my friend.

Gollum is the name of the creature that the former hobbit Smeagol has turned into due to the effect of the Ring.

Gollum (who gets his name from the coughing sounds he often makes) has a split personality, and the kinder Smeagol sometimes surfaces.

Gollum and Smeagol are the names in the English version and many other languages also, it isn't just in the French version of the book.

Gollum is not = Smeagol, but it's close. smile_o.gif

BTW in Finnish Gollum's name is Klonkku (pronounced KLONKku)

Hope that cleared things up. smile_o.gif

Edit:

And I don't have a habit of stealing jewelry just because my name is Gollum! mad_o.gif  heh...wherever did you get that idea? smile_o.gif

<span id='ME'><center>Gollum1 looks around nervously... </center></span>

To clarify, leaving your possessions around me is perfectly safe. smile_o.gif

Eh? I think you've got it wrong, my friend.

Gollum is the name of the creature that the former hobbit Smeagol has turned into due to the effect of the Ring.

Gollum (who gets his name from the coughing sounds he often makes) has a split personality, and the kinder Smeagol sometimes surfaces.

Gollum and Smeagol are the names in the English version and many other languages also, it isn't just in the French version of the book.

Gollum is not = Smeagol, but it's close. smile_o.gif

BTW in Finnish Gollum's name is Klonkku (pronounced KLONKku)

Hope that cleared things up. smile_o.gif

aha, so iits a good move from me to go watch em all 3 simultaneously

a little offtopic:

Has it ever happend to anyone to watch a movie in cinema that it was so good that you didnt want it to end ?

...leaving your possessions around me is perfectly safe. smile_o.gif

I don't trust that little Stinker... mad_o.gif

biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

aha, so iits a good move from me to go watch em all 3 simultaneously

I don't recommend that mate, if I were you I'd watch them one after the other instead tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I don't recommend that mate, if I were you I'd watch them one after the other instead

For those of you who have 9 1/2 hours to spare, this could be interesting.

BTW - Has anyone called the third one "LOTR: ROTK"? I find that thought strangely amusing tounge_o.gif .

I'm gonna see it as soon as... ... I have some time. I read the books, and saw the first 2 parts, and am eagerly waiting for the third. But I'm just too damn bussy until christmas mad_o.gif

a little offtopic:

Has it ever happend to anyone to watch a movie in cinema that it was so good that you didnt want it to end ?

Yes. I just saw "Lost in Translation", a Sofia Coppola movie with Bill Murray and set in Tokyo. I loved it. I don't think its the kind of movie that most people would like, as it can seem slow, but I thought it to be one of the best movies I've ever seen, and I left the theater wanting it to never end.

LOTR is different, though, as it is long enough as a whole to satisfy. Granted, I haven't seen ROTK yet, but I'm sure it won't dissappoint. Watching all the movies together will be an almost 10-hour experience that I am looking forward to. That will be plenty long enough for me, especially as there is a clearly defined beginning and ending. Plus there are so many other books that Tolkien or his son wrote, that if I want to I can find out what happens afterwards.

With Lost in Translation, it was just like something amazing came out of nowhere and it had to end too soon.

I'm hoping they release DVD and i can go on LOTR-fest this summer. HEard DVD for last one was way better than the theatrical one.

Going to see it at 00:05 tonight (Yes I know two minutes after the rest of the world but who cares?  tounge_o.gif ) It is indeed going to be hard to get up and out of bed tomorrow. Some intentional oversleeping never did killl anyone...

EDIT: By the way I am boycotting the bleeding extended version, corporate sham! Although I did see them both but I am not going to pay for them wink_o.gif

http://www.nbc4.tv/entertainment/2707971/detail.html

Quote[/b] ]NY Critics Name 'Rings' Top Film Of 2003

Coppola Named Best Director

POSTED: 10:02 a.m. EST December 16, 2003

UPDATED: 12:19 p.m. EST December 16, 2003

Normally a champion of small indie films, the New York Film Critics Circle has chosen "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" as the top film of 2003.

The film is a sweeping spectacle of computer-generated imagery -- and it couldn't be more different from the rest of the films the group honored.

Sofia Coppola was named best director for "Lost in Translation." The film's star, Bill Murray, was named best actor.

"American Splendor" was honored as best first film. And in the supporting acting category, Eugene Levy won for his role as a washed-up folk singer in "A Mighty Wind."

The critics' group is composed of writers for the city's major newspapers and magazines.

The group usually honors films that stand as an intellectual counterpoint to the Oscar voters' more traditional choices.

I know i wont be seeing it tonight. Although i would love too see it tonight.

I really wanted to go sit through all 3 movies again tonight but i got school tomorrow so its not an option really lol.

Is anyone doing that? Seeing all 3 movies tonight. I know some theaters are having that. Id give credit to someone who could sit through all 3 movies and not be stiff or tired in the morning.

Ill probably see it this weekend.

You know its kinda sad that this is the last one. I mean every year for the past 3 years i would look forward to this and now its just about over. sad_o.gif Just like the old saying goes "All good things must come to an end." sad_o.gif

Anyone feel that they should/should've made the hobbit into a movie?

http://www.cnn.com/2003....ex.html

Quote[/b] ]AP) -- For would-be Hobbits, Elves and wizards, it's a can't-miss opportunity.

Die-hard "Lord of the Rings" fans are enjoying "Trilogy Tuesday," a back-to-back-to-back marathon of all three films, including the first public screenings of the third and final movie, "The Return of the King."

Most of the tickets had been purchased hours after they went on sale in October, but fans lined up for hours before the trilogy's noon start to stake a claim on the best seats.

The 99 theaters participating in the trilogy marathon arranged numerous treats for fans, with some setting up buffets for the breaks in between the movies. At the end of "Return of the King," everyone will receive a gift from New Line Cinema to commemorate the occasion.

Michael Brown, a 22-year-old student at Johns Hopkins University, was first in line at the 900-seat Senator Theatre in Baltimore, Maryland, arriving at 10:45 a.m. Monday with a tent, a sleeping bag and a box of PowerBars.

"I spent 10 hours waiting for 'The Two Towers' to open, and about the same for one of the 'Harry Potter' movies. I try to be first in line for just about everything that premieres here," Brown said. "I do this to myself because I love movies, and I feel like if I'm going to go see the movies, I might as well do it right."

Ordinary moviegoers, though, may feel daunted by the trilogy, directed by Peter Jackson and starring Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen and Sean Astin. It began with the "extended edition" of "The Fellowship of the Ring" from noon to 3:30 p.m. "The Two Towers," also in extended form, was to follow at 4:30 p.m., leaving time for a break of an hour and 45 minutes before the 10 p.m. start of "The Return of the King."

But for fans, the more "Rings" footage they get to see, the better.

Demand for trilogy tickets has been huge, with tickets selling on the auction site eBay and online ticket brokers for up to $250 apiece.

"I scheduled this a year ago," said Nancy Pierson, a toxicologist from Boston, Massachusetts, who paid $120 on eBay for a ticket and drove to Albany, New York, for the marathon. "I couldn't get anything closer."

In New York City, 45-year-old Daisy Martinez wore a green hooded cloak studded with pins of the characters, closed at the neck with a leaf pin that was part of the official movie merchandising.

"It speaks to the times, it speaks to the inner child inside everybody," Martinez said of author J.R.R. Tolkien's work. "The story that it tells is that the littlest person can make a huge difference in the world, and I just feel that with the stuff that's going on in the world today, we need to believe that."

A cheer arose from the line at a theater in Tampa, Florida, when the doors opened at 11:30 a.m. for start of the 1 p.m. marathon. About 200 people, a few in costume, snaked around the building. Unlike many LOTR devotees around the country, they waited in comfortable 70-degree weather.

Tony Straquadine, 29, was first in line, having arrived at 6:30 a.m. A group of his friends -- all bought tickets online -- arrived soon after with two boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

Straquadine, an engineer who happened to have Tuesday off, said he planned to up his intake of sugar and coffee to get through the marathon.

"A lot of chocolate," he said.

"I love the books, I love to get away on the fantasy side of things," he said, noting that he belongs to a medieval re-enactment group and often dons period costume for those events.

And he suggested that the marathon also might be a good way to meet women.

"I want the kind of women who are going to be attracted to a geek," he joked.

@ Dec. 17 2003,01:34)]Dammit... will have to see it on Thursday. Hate exam season.

Same here, but I went anyway. tounge_o.gif

@Goob

No need to boycott it, it's just that if they released it 45 minutes longer in the theater, no theater would have it!

You're really missing out, the EE's (extended editions) are soo much better. smile_o.gif

So I got about 3 hours sleep right now, but let me tell you, it was Worth It. Words can't describe. It's not perfect, of course, but it's a unique experience. The LOTR trilogy is now my favorite movie (yes, I see it as one movie). You can't show the director anything but respect for what he and the crew have accomplished here.

And people, unless you have a digital video projector and 6.1 DTS sound at home...see it in the theater first, not on DVD. TRUST me. wink_o.gif

If there only wasn't that weeping whimp Frodo...I've been a LOTR fan (books) since the age of 12 but the movies don't really cut it for me.

Main reason are the countless close ups of Frodo with shivering lower jaw and digitally enhanced tears in his eyes...he's so pathetic sometimes I wish a Nazgul would accidentially crash on him.

Effects and design are nice though and they did quite a good job in converting the incredibly detailed original story into a flick.

Well I am gonna see it tonight, I hope it's better than 1 and 2.

Well I still see planning extended versions as a bit of a sham. Very not-nice, and I have watched them both and I can't say that the first one impressed me that much. The things added in the extended version of the Two Towers really added substance though. But I still feel that those substance adding things should have been included in the film at first since a few references to what happened in the extended version of The two towers are in the third film.

But this installment was wonderful, a very epic film to say the least! And I couldn't have spent my night in any better way. The riders of Rohan coming to aid the forces of Gondor looked exactly like I imagined them in the book, and at the time the movie was over everything else felt unreal. Peter Jackson and company really did an astounding job on capturing the spirit of the books on film. And the film really drew me in.

Heya !

Thought this is the right place to say "Hi !"

I´m back from Congo.

I´m tired, shaky (Germany bought some snow during my absence), and have a lot of new experiences in my backpack.

But first I need to sort all my stuff and explore the comfort of a one man only water toilet.

More later on.

PS: Thx for setting up a thread for me wink_o.gif