Sign in to follow this  
Gollum1

Return of the king

Heya !

Thought this is the right place to say "Hi !"

I´m back from Congo.

I´m tired, shaky (Germany bought some snow during my absence), and have a lot of new experiences in my backpack.

But first I need to sort all my stuff and explore the comfort of a one man only water toilet.

More later on.

PS: Thx for setting up a thread for me  wink_o.gif

Welcome back! did you obtain the ring? smile_o.gifsmile_o.gif

LOL.

Welcome back, in one peice we hope. wink_o.gif

Must have been a terrorist camp in Congo. And you developed the (thread-)Hijacking to a new art smile_o.gif

So, I understood you right, we can see your pictures from the BIS/Prague trip on the CIA page tomorrow? It took long enough! biggrin_o.gif

(and to distract the mods) I hope to see LOTR:ROTK before christmas. Have already seen the SEs twice as double feature the last three weeks and planning another session undubbed.

i´ve seen the triple feature lotr yesterday (17.00 - 03.15) and it was not bad but i thought that the end would be better sad_o.gif

I just came home after seeing all the 3 movies in the world largest THX cinema (I think they're reffering to the number of seats...) Coloseum, Oslo, Norway. Watching the first two movies at 16.00 and 20.00 on the 16th. and then 09.00 the 17th the last. We even got breakfast in there biggrin_o.gif

Anyway I just love the story behind LOTR it's so detailed, that's what makes it the best story in the world! But one thing I don't like is how they make Legolas surf down on the shield in Helmsdeep, How he takes down the Oliphant and things like that... But anyway you gotta see this movie, in a THX certified cinema blues.gif

Heya !

Thought this is the right place to say "Hi !"

I´m back from Congo.

I´m tired, shaky (Germany bought some snow during my absence), and have a lot of new experiences in my backpack.

But first I need to sort all my stuff and explore the comfort of a one man only water toilet.

More later on.

Hey, no problem! biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

Great to have you back, I hope you still have those BIS/Prague photos and some stories from the Congo. smile_o.gif

Hi all

I just got the Two Towers Extended DVD an extra 45 minutes on the film. It also includes loads of commentaries and loads of other stuff.

Aparently the original cut of Return of the King is more than 6 Hours so that will be one heck of a DVD. It means Return of the King for the theatre release is only half as long but it still requires packed lunch and 20 minutes of Eyes, Brain and Toilet Break.

In the commentaries the director talks about their intention to eventualy release a supper extended 3 film with appendices ubber box set in chronological order.

The extended editions include loads of extra scenes and are well worth the money. The whole story is told in a far better form and it is far closer to the book.

The Ubber box set will also include all the after the battle is won stuff which explains what happened to all the surviving characters after the War For The Ring. If you have read the book you will agree that this is some of the best writing of the whole book. I particularly liked the scenes where the lives of Bilbo, Frodo, Sam and Aragorns lives come to an end. And the tale of the Grief of Arwen Last Elf left alone to wonder Middle Earth after Aragorn dies is particularly sad.

As is made clear in the commentaries such beautiful stories whizz right over the heads of the producers at Newline. They want that "the goodies won and they all lived happy ever after" version for an anesthetized "US" audience. Most US people I have spoken to dont agree with the Newline opinion, like me they wish that holywood would accept people can cope with sad stories.

Still in the end Newline have had the courage to put up the money for a trilogy that is pretty close to the book and is a success because of that; so my carping is not not meant to be too harsh. It could not have been made with out them.

In the end we will get a great version for DVD of more than 15 hours that is as close to the book as the medium of film will allow. I think the epic nature of the film means that comparisons to Birth of a Nation and The Jazz Singer as a watershead in film making are realistic. Hopefully its success will result in many more great books being filmed properly.

Kind Regards Walker

Quote[/b] ]Aparently the original cut of Return of the King is more than 6 Hours so that will be one heck of a DVD. It means Return of the King for the theatre release is only half as long but it still requires packed lunch and 20 minutes of Eyes, Brain and Toilet Break.

Hmm really? Because i saw an interview with Peter Jackson Where he predicted the DVD movie to be around 30 minutes longer. (Obviously excluding behind the scenes and stuff like that.)

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Aparently the original cut of Return of the King is more than 6 Hours so that will be one heck of a DVD. It means Return of the King for the theatre release is only half as long but it still requires packed lunch and 20 minutes of Eyes, Brain and Toilet Break.

Hmm really? Because i saw an interview with Peter Jackson Where he predicted the DVD movie to be around 30 minutes longer. (Obviously excluding behind the scenes and stuff like that.)

smile_o.gif

I heard that the ES for ROTK would be longer than the other two (the two others had about 45 min new footage, right?), but not 6 hours!. crazy_o.gif Maybe you confused it with the director saying that he would have had to have a 6 hour cut to fit all the things in the book in.

Or not. Link? smile_o.gif

smile_o.gif

I heard that the ES for ROTK would be longer than the other two (the two others had about 45 min new footage, right?), but not 6 hours!. crazy_o.gif Maybe you confused it with the director saying that he would have had to have a 6 hour cut to fit all the things in the book in.

Or not. Link? smile_o.gif

Im definitely sure that Peter was asked if the DVD would be any longer than the one in cinemas. And he said that the DVD wasn't done yet but he estimated it to be some 30 minutes longer.

Everything about ROTK screams extended edition,it's just needed.

Oh how I hated the whining people in the cinema who said it dragged on and on. mad_o.gif

Anyway,I loved every minute of it,the battle scenes were great,about as epic as i'd imagined them while reading the books.

Seeing the Rohirrim charge and beat down the orcs was brilliant,the whole battle scene with the riders,the orcs,the trebuchets and onagers,the siege towers,the nazgűl.... brilliant biggrin_o.gif

*is still psyched from just seeing it*

Well I have a numb bum and a stiff neck from being stuck too close to the screen. And I had to suffer a horrible bastardised spanish language version. But I enjoyed it.

I do feel it is the most flawed of the three films but most of the problems will be solved ( I'm sure ) in the DVD special edition. Most obviously it takes too long to get started because it has about 20 minutes of 'Two Towers' in it. At the same time too much stuff is lost because the cinema cut needed to be a reasonable length. Characters and plot lines get abandoned without real resolution. In particular Farimir and Eowyn. It also had the two worst hobbit stand in shots of the trilogy. But these things don't spoil it.

It still has lots of great moments. Everybody will find bits they like, my two favourites being the orc captain neatly avoiding a huge piece of stone and Elrond's face at the coronation. Agent Smith about to burst into tears is priceless.

No question though this was enough for the cinema, the audience I was with got fidgety toward the end and there was a collective sigh of relief when it said 'Fin'. Mind you I do feel robbed of the battle of the shire. It was a great end to the book.

Sad to have come to the end of this journey though.

One of my favourite scenes is Pippin singing as Faramir and row of riders charge against the orcs. A fine cinematic moment indeed!

One of my favourite scenes is Pippin singing as Faramir and row of riders charge against the orcs. A fine cinematic moment indeed!

The ending was so incredibly happy and sickly sweet that I should have been laughing, but I was just so happy for all the characters that I was grinning like an idiot. biggrin_o.gif

Remember this on the Pelennor?:

"That still only counts as one!"

Ok, predictable, but the whole theater laughed so I did too. biggrin_o.gif

hey.. this would maby be the right place to post this..:

I bought the two towers extended, but i was really dissepointed when the DTS sound didn't work. I have a brand new surround system and would like to hear the DTS sound with it. Same with all the two towers dvd's. Pisses me off.

Does anybody know something about this?

(by the way: DTS is just a nother better soundtrack just like dolby surround...) crazy_o.gif

Just saw the film.. took me a couple of minutes afterwords before i realised how incredible the film was. And the music.... wow smile_o.gif

@Freddern: You need to set the amplifier on DTS mode, too! You should be able to switch modes through your amplifier's remote control.

Only then will it decode and output the signal it's getting from the DVD. Of course, you need to select the DTS from the

LOTR DVD setup menu, too. You should also be able to switch soundtracks in the middle of the movie by pressing the "Audio" button on your DVD remote control! smile_o.gif

Hope that cleared things up, I don't have a surround system myself, just a 21" TV, a Philips micro-hifi stereo, hifi headphones and a cheap but very good Baier DVD player.

But my friend has a hifi 5.1 system with 32" TV at his apartment, so... wink_o.gif

Have you noticed that they play the same damned theme over and over and over again in all three LOTR films?

You know the one!

Baa badabaaa badabaaaaaaa BABABAAA BABABAA BABABAAA BAA BA BAA bababaaa etc.

Ahem.

tounge_o.gif

no. no. It's nothing wrong with my setup. I think it maybe is a big production fault with all zone2 versions of it. read it somewhere but havn't heard or read anymore information about it.... sad_o.gif

Hrm... My mate plays his region2 copy of the extended two towers just fine with DTS sound. Most odd crazy_o.gif

I wouldn't have cut like what I've just seen, it seems imbalanced.

I wouldn't have mind some shorter scenes.

I wouldn't have mind some better actors play.

I would have like to see a good french translation, not something crappy which makes some sentences look really stupid.

But one word pop up in my mind, just as I get out. Awesome! Perfect conclusion. Sad and tough. Really brilliant. Even when PJ got a little off the original story, he just fall perfectly back on his feet to get back on the Tolkien scheme.

War scenes are perfect, Nazgul scary, Rohirrim charge... breathetaking. I'm sure I've witnessed every single rider's death, it's so intense.

And, more important, everything is perfectly explained. The scene with the hobbit in the inn is perfect, for example. A must see.

Great that you are back and safe Balschoiw.

back to topic.

Looking at those great adaptations of the Lord of the Rings books , i really hope that mr Jackson will think about adapting The Silmarillion

He can adapt Bilbo the hobbit if he wants to , but The Silmarrillion has the highest priority mr Jackson !

Get ready to lose some other years of your life in those middle earth legends mr Jackson thanks to The Silmarillion

please ;)

adapting the silmarillion would be a huge task ... but some of the battles would be jaw droping eg the fall of gondolin.

Seeing anchalagon the Black dragon would be cool.

hmmm *dreams*

Chances are though, it wont happen.. but we can hope.