Sign in to follow this  
Mister Frag

Lock on: modern air combat

Although I know nothing about flight sims and flying in general, this is the game that's probably going to change that.

So this demo will save my weekend. (=

Maybe I will even forget the HL2 delay over this!

maybe not...

I'm glad they finally released the demo, but is there any reason why they couldn't have put it on fileplanet or something, as much as I hate fileplanet, atleast their downloads are faster than 10kb/second. crazy_o.gif

Damn, I might just be stupid. But I cannot and I repeat cannot get the bloody time compression to be normal. At the moment I have to press enter continuously to make something move. But I am enjoying watching my A10 crash and my MIG-29A going up in flames smile_o.gif

by the time i try to target and look for the fire button i get shot down by this missile crazy_o.gif

Damn, I still cant get the time to be "normal" I have to keep pressing enter to get any movement what-so-ever on the screen. Any advice?

Well I don't know anyone who has gotten that demo to work properly. I can only get decent framerate when I drop all visual details to low, even on medium settings framerate drops to 5-10fps which is when plane gets completely uncontrollable. This is on Athlon 1800+ which is way above minimum specs (I know, I know... tounge_o.gif) published by Ubi Soft but it seems people get same kind of shitty performance even on 3GHz P4s with GF4's or newer Radeons.

If this is how final game is going to be, I don't know who is going to buy this game. Right now flying A10 is about just fun as playing CTF with lotsa vehicles on OFP's desert island.

Seems like another f**ked up release, way to go Ubi Soft...

I do not think it has to do with my hardware to press enter all the time. It ticks by frame by frame, so if I press enter really fast it slide on fairly well. But when I don't press enter at all it just stands still...

The demo is seriously bugged, while it does run ok for me normally, whenever I fire rockets or missiles the fps drops to near zero. Also when flying near/in the clouds the fps just goes dooown and doooown. And thats not all, the force effects are _seriously_ flawed, there is no centering spring at all when moving the stick to the left or forwards which makes it quite impossible to fly properly. And there isnt even a switch to turn the effects off, duh! The sounds are also broken for me, first the engine sounds fine, but whenever I get the female voice warning about things the engine sound just vanishes.

I surely hope that they are going to improve the game _alot_ before release.

It runs fairly well w/ most the stuff on low, but when I put most of the options on high or medium, there are some serious problems w/ textures flashing/appearing white and stuff, in addition to it being slow as hell.

I'm mystified as to why it said my hydraulics were failing

hydraulics.jpgbiggrin_o.gif

How am I supposed to shoot anything down? Even with no damage and infinite ammo I'd unable to lock on that Mirage, let alone shoot it down. crazy_o.gif

I know, knowing the keys would help. But there are just too many of them. wow_o.gif

And in what order am I supposed to press them? tounge_o.gif

I hate arcade games, but I really lack experience with a flight sim. And so I'm getting owned again and again...

If I could at least read the HUD.

Maybe someone has a step by step guide for a flightsim nub like me how to beat that Mirage, like

1. Press key "a" for blabla...

2. Press key "b" to activate blablabla

and so on. biggrin_o.gif

To shoot down the Mirage, it seems like you really have to get it when it passes in front of you, unless you want to dog fight for 2 hours.  Once you've unpaused the game(by pressing S), press 4(to get the hud in the right mode) and then I(to turn on the radar).  There should be a circle on the hud.  Try to get the Mirage in the circle.  When it is positioned in the circle press tab to lock on and press space bar (or fire button on your joystick) to fire a missile(its probably best to fire atleast 2).

If the hud's in Russian, I think there's an option to change that.

There's also a step-by-step guide in the readme.txt in the directory you installed LO-MAC smile_o.gif

To shoot down the Mirage, it seems like you really have to get it when it passes in front of you, unless you want to dog fight for 2 hours.  Once you've unpaused the game(by pressing S), press 4(to get the hud in the right mode) and then I(to turn on the radar).  There should be a circle on the hud.  Try to get the Mirage in the circle.  When it is positioned in the circle press tab to lock on and press space bar (or fire button on your joystick) to fire a missile(its probably best to fire atleast 2).

If the hud's in Russian, I think there's an option to change that.

It’s much easier to use the vertical scan mode. Press 3 instead of 4 and just press tab when the mirage is in the vertical band, then just fire away. Very simple.

Haha I was indeed dogfighting it for a long time, but at least a few minutes, then the Mirage was out of ammo or bingo fuel and decided to ignore me (or maybe was frustrated because I was invulnerable wink_o.gif ), and just flew home, I followed it but was unable to lock a missile onto it because I had no clue how and cycleing through various radar modes didnt seem to help but rather quick we both arrived at the airfield and I managed to land my Mig without crashing it. (Yea I even figured the wheel break thing)

Then I tried to shoot all my cannon ammo into the air but realized I had unlimited ammo enabled.

I also realized the program simulated even the recoil of the cannon and I was moving a bit backwards.

"Hell" I though, "this could be fun" and continued shooting. This got me faster and faster and when I reached the end of the runway I had almost -200 whateverspeedunitthatis.

I hit the brakes again and stopped, started the engines again and the afterburner and took off. Flew around a little bit more, then noticed that funny red flashing light on the left trying to tell me something. I realized I was out of fuel, but just ahead of me was this long straight road.

Airbrakes on, gear down and a nice landing on that road.

Then I pressed ctrl-e and bailed out.

Now I'm waiting at this road for someone with a tow-bar that fits my Mig-29. tounge_o.gif

Is there any *normal* way to download it? i.e not through that tor... application?

Edit: Never mind. I found a French mirror with a decent transfer rate (4 MB/s) smile_o.gif

Is there any *normal* way to download it? i.e not through that tor... application?

I've found a few direct download sites, but they're all getting hit pretty hard. The only one I could actually connect to was giving me 2.7 Kbps blues.gif

Edit: Never mind. I found a French mirror with a decent transfer rate (4 MB/s) smile_o.gif

Try fragland.net (if you are able to access their site)

I got it through bittorent. Had an avg 40 KB/s. Seems to have calmed down after a few hours...

Don't. My comp isn't really up to the task of running LOMAC properly. I can run it at maximum detail smootlhy at 1024x768, medium at 1280x1024 and low at 1280x1200. I can forget about running it at my standard resolution (1920x1200) sad_o.gif

Anyway, it looks nice. I get shot down or crash more or less instantly. And how the hell do I fire the weapons??

I have configured the buttons on the joystick for both "change weapon", "fire" and "cannon mode", but nothing happens. crazy_o.gif

Just finished d/ling, installing now.

And I don't really hate you Denoir, it's just that damnable smug "ooh, I just downloaded a 122 mb file in the time it took for Tex to post how much difficulty he's having finding mirrors" attitude tounge_o.gif