Sign in to follow this  
vektorboson

F-117a nighthawk

Or more like Footmunche's MIG-27, one of the most fun aircraft in OFP smile_o.gif

The aircraft looks excellent bigpoppa, keep up the good work smile_o.gif

Nice work that F-117a. I also hope you could import the Mig27 Bombcamera to your plane. It's cool, althought i noticed a little camera display(?) in your F-117a. That display gonna work? Anyway, good luck!!!

Nice work that F-117a. I also hope you could import the Mig27 Bombcamera to your plane. It's cool, althought i noticed a little camera display(?) in your F-117a. That display gonna work? Anyway, good luck!!!

thanks,

the FLIR/DLIR-display is just some eye-candy; it doesn't work actually. Perhaps I include a dialog with which you can set the FLIR-target manually. This could come in handy for attacking buildings.

The F-117's handling is rather "heavy" right now. I don't want it have the turn radius of Hudson's F/A-18, because the F-117 doesn't have thrust vectoring. (and the FA18 actually, too)

A bomb-view camera won't be hard-coded into the addon. Perhaps I make it optional. You would have to make either visual reconaissance or satellite view to see whether you hit the target. But who knows.

I have rather some news about a working ILS-system. I'm fine tuning it, and it helps really landing a plane, especially if you have small view distance or wheather. As soon as I have all HUD instruments working, I'll make some screenshots.

About the scale thing: I think that my model has the right scale, so I won't touch it.

Can you add that RADAR screen that was on the BAS blackwawk and DKM's Mi28? smile_o.gif

You mean the radar that shows you from which direction the missile is heading? It will be in the right MFD. I have already created a dummy texture, I think it is visible on the cockpit screenshots.

The left MFD will have the map with its location marked.

Nice cockpit screeny. Especially the "display" (see-through). One thing is sure, best F-117 so far. Can't wait to test it ingame. Good luck

WOW! I like the looks of things so far biggrin_o.gif That cockpit looks sweet- I hope you take your time and make it perfect- it'll make a change to have an aeroplane addon that you prefer to fly with the inside view because of all the nice things in there rather than generally using the outside view to fly smile_o.gif Take you time with this one matey smile_o.gif

Cant wait smile_o.gif

Crippler smile_o.gif

Looks very nice! smile_o.gif

edit(after looking @ your site): oooh, JSOWs!!smile_o.gifwow_o.gif

On the 1st screenie, there is the message 'ILS activated for Nogova airport'. Does this work the same a for the RL system? I think hardrock was working on this for his Eurofighter, are you two co-operating?

BTW It looks excellent inside and out, I can't wait to go bombing!! biggrin_o.gif

You should change the script for the bomb doors opening from using a menu command to using the fired= eventhandler and just activate the door open/close animations. It'l work because the only weapons are the 2 bombs, and that's what the doors have to open for smile_o.gif

But then they'd have to open very, very, quick or else the bomb would just come through them. The action menu's fine for me.

It says ILS approach on your screenies. Where does that come from?

Hmmm

I could think of an autopilot.

OR what i think is more reasonable...that the Map screen is activated

Looks really great and i cant wait!

Here is an explanation of the ILS:

ils1.jpg

Pic1:

You see two markers that show you, were the ILS glide path is. One is the horizontal marker that shows you, which direction you have to fly to, to get to the glide path.

The other one is the vertical marker, showing you whether the glide path is under or over you.

------

ils2.jpg

Pic2:

Now here an example of an approach: the horizontal marker says, that you are left from the glide path. You have to turn a little bit to the right and wait after the marker is in the middle of the vertical marker.

The vertical marker says, that you are above the glide path, your height is to big. You have to loose height with either getting the velocity vector under the center line (slowing down speed) or you turn down the nose of the aircraft.

------

ils3.jpg

Pic3:

Here you see an almost perfect approach. The two markers intersect almost in the middle (well you're still a little bit too left) and the velocity vector (small circle in below the center) indicates a negative vertical speed.

If the addon was perfect, you just had to lay the velocity vector on the beginning of the runway and you wouldn't have to do anything, just wait until you touch-down  smile_o.gif

------

The ILS will be automatically enabled, as soon as your gear is down.

The nice thing about the ILS system is, that you can add an ILS approach target through an object, thus enabling every addon island for ILS approach. You even can use the ILS for carriers, since it is height sensitive, and it can even move!

One thing is, that it is not finished. It only works for 360°-Runways, and only for the 36-direction.

------

Concerning the baydoors: Sorry drewb99, but I will definitely not make them automatic. You have to use the action menu. But the interface won't be overloaded with action menu entries. The maximum shall be 2-3 actions at once.

The systems will be activated automatically from the context, like ILS with gear down.

------

I think I gonna try to make that FLIR/DLIR-screen functional with a dialog, because you can't lock on any buildings. Especially the GBU-27 would profit from this, because it is a devastating weapon if you make a direct hit (like all BLU-109 warheads).

If I could make one request in my entire life it would be this:

Please,please make a custom pilot for this aircraft! It looks so odd to see a helicopter pilot sitting in a super sonic fighter.

WHOA, if those ILS bars work as supposed to, you need to prod and torture other addon makers to impliment it into their fixed wing aircraft HUD's.

Man, I can't WAIT for this addon.  If this works correctly, this perfectly proves the reason for adding necessary features for aircraft in OFP 2.

Just to let you all know, the JSOW AGM-154A is the Smart Submunitions container.  It was discussed on the addon's web site, but not much.  I'm sure that it works by either entering a position either from GPS data or range data from a radar lock of a ground target.  Once it has the position locked in, you release the weapon and it glides to the target area. It is best used when over 10,000 to 15,000 ft up or higher for it to be really effective in an enemy enriched target area. As soon as it hits the submuntions release height, all of the smart submuntions drop from the bottom from like an upside-down egg carton. As they fall, the submuntions have their heat seeking tips facing the ground as they fall.

The smart submunitions follow heat signatures of the targets of vehicles in the air and burrow through the top armor.  The impact of them alone hitting the top part of the target is enough to destroy or disable most armored or non-armored vehicles.  Then the submunitions also have roughly a mortar's worth of explosive power in each one.

There is really no effective defense against such a weapon for exposed armored vehicles.  Despite covering and hiding, the only way for the vehicles to avoid hits from it is to be in a bunker type room covered with earth and a reinforced steel structure inside.

It's a VERY nasty and effective weapon to elminate the need for aircraft to get too close to ground fire and manpads.

You got a working velocity vector?!?!?

I can't really say yes. The velocity vector is just a vertical speed indicator used in a clever way  smile_o.gif

As for the ILS bars, they are working very fine. I had some low visibility and night landings. It helps really a lot, though you need a lot of training to use it properly.

I'll make the ILS-system as general as possible, so it can be used in any addon. I hope it will work good enough even for carrier landings.

As for the JSOWs: I tried to make them as they are supposed to work in real life; you fire them, they fly automatically to the target area and release the IR-seeking submunition or the cluster-submunition.

Well it turned out as nearly impractible, for several reasons:

- the JSOW itself had to be defined as a plane and had to have a pilot.

- therefore the JSOW-plane could've attacked any target on its way to the target area

- the JSOW had to rely on "dumb flying skills" of the AI

- overkill for OFP

Therefore I used following solution:

- the JSOW handles like a maverick, you have to lock on IR targets

- the JSOW flys towards the target, but releases short before impact its submunition; the velocity of the JSOW is added to a random velocity of the submunition

- therefore the JSOW AGM-154A works like a "missile-cluster-bomb"

- I'm still deciding how I should make the AGM-154B because it is rather effective against one target, than multiple.

Though this decisions, the JSOWs are still a devastating weapon that can take out or damage severely a tank platoon if the tanks aren't scattered widely.

Men, looks like you're really going for a good realistic F-117a and weapons system.  unclesam.gif  It looks great, hope you can fine-tune this baby. The way it goes now, i think this one's going to ROCK. (R.E.S.P.E.C.T). Keep up that good work!!!

PS: i also like the "REARM" layout. Any change that there could bee a "animated" rearm-crew? (maybee impossible, but that would bee SUPER). Hmmm, maybee i'm getting TO exated about this. Anyway, this will bee the BEST F-117a there is. "CHAPEAU"  blues.gif   biggrin_o.gif

I am glad to see that someone´s getting the real "spirit" behind the Nighthawk and bring it into OFP!

The scary feeling when the black shadow is flying high above releasing his deadly cargo. blues.gif

f117-5.jpg

Keep up the good work!

MfG Lee wink_o.gif