Sign in to follow this  
Tigershark_BAS

Just out of curiosity

Would BAS (or whoever starts selling addons) provide after

sale support for the addons? Provide helplines, email

addresses, Tech forum? Or are they all 'sold-as-seen'? If

the latter, how do you guarantee quality?

Given the nature of the addons, what's to stop someone

stomping on anyone else's Tag's (for example) and hence

producing tech problems for the original addon makers?

This could be a good sevice to 56kers or even as a jumpstart pack for people who just started playing OFP (i know they are still out there!). I have my own addon collection on cd made allready.

Just another 'Out of Curiosity', what do people think about paying for a CD to be sent to you containing addons?

I would expect a materials/shipping/handling fee.

This is similar to services such as FileFront, who let you compile CDs with free downloads to be shipped to you at a charge.

I love all BAS's work I've seen, but I love it more as it's a labour of love, not a money spinner. The difference between it's quality and BIS's comercial output is defined by this I believe. To be fair to BIS though, they could'nt afford to put the amount of time that BAS~dudes put into each model and make it pay, nobody could. To make a wage out of what BAS do, they'd have to half the quality and time put into what they do, and it's that quality and time that makes sure that a BAS addon is in 99.9% of all OFP addon users harddrives smile_o.gif ...

*EDIT*

I think it's in BIS's interests to see work of BAS quality proposed to gaming magazines, if they are trying to 'breathe' new life into OFP the exposure would do them good. It's about time CM started their OFP publicity campaign is'nt it? tounge_o.gif ...

I wouldn't pay for the addons themselves, but I would donate a little bit of cash for server bills. I would also pay to get my add-ons delivered to me on CD, especially with big stuff like FDF mod etc. But the add-ons themselves should always remain free. Or else the point of a modding community kinda gets lost, and if people payed for add-ons the demands would be so much higher. The whining about release dates would increase, the bug an quality issues and so on and so on.

I would never pay for an addon unless I was working on a commercial product to re-distribute or unless I was training military officers with the addon. Then I would request permission and or pay all addon/mod makers involved. wink_o.gif

And the addons would be freely available for download, the charge would be only for posting and packaging, the CD's and a little extra for the effort, not the addons themselves.

Straight away that is a violation of the EULA. FileFront (or similar) is the only way I would pay for a CD, because I can be sure that the addon maker is receiving no money and violating the EULA.

Of course the other thing to do would be to talk to BIS/Codemasters smile_o.gif

No, I won't pay for an addon. As Avon's sig says there are many addon which are really great, I think worthy of a rewarding. But they are just used far too little in MP to actually spend money and effort in getting them. And even if they were, mission makers are restrained from using addons because in some cases they'll force players to buy them for just that single mission.

I totally agree with GoOB, so never....But we must understand that OFP wouldn't bee this great without all the GREAT addons (like *quhh...BAS....and others) and i some way we SHOULD be thanking ALL those great addonmaker(s). I don't mean paying for a addon, but maybee "DONATIONS" (so out of sympathy) would have been a better topic...but unfortunatly i don't think that will work.   sad_o.gif

I just think money shouldn't become a "key" in further developments and new idea's. Since, i believe every addonmaker started makking addon as a "hobby" and not as a "job". Maybee those people should contact BIS... blues.gif  (hmm, maybee then we could see more then 1 free (CAMEL) addon...). But i don't blame BIS, let them make the game, and the community the addons.

PS: i only would pay a addonmaker(s) if they would make me everything i still want for OFP(1) biggrin_o.gif ....(how much you BAS guys ask for a USS Nimitz?  tounge_o.gif  )

No serieus, i hope money wont effect the game. It's the FREE addons that make OFP the best game ever... unclesam.gif

I would never pay money for an addon or mod. Not only do I not have a credit account, but I believe addon makers should do the work they do for the appreciation they recieve when they accomplish a great addon. There are so many more things to life than money, you don't need to get paid to feel appreciated. Donations would be alright, I see no reason that donations would be bad.

Keep up the excellent work BAS, and all addon makers, but don't expect me to ever pay for your work. wink_o.gif

i have a strange feeling about this, my jedi powers tell me bas is gonna charge for their addons one day sad_o.gif

All of you addon makers that use alot of your free time making the comunity happy that sometimes think that you are obligated to give them new addons,and treat you many many times unfair have my respect simply because you do it for nothing...You could keep all those gorgeus addons only on your hards and no one could really blame you for nothing...

I really think that you diserve something from the comunity in exchange for all your hard work but I don`t think that money would work...Unless some of you guys are in desparate situations rock.gif

I would donate money for new modelling tools, bandwidth, etc, but not explicitly pay for a new addon.

I'd definitely pay if addons were collected into a licsensed expansion, like someone already suggested, in which could be purchased on CD in a store

i would maybe pay for an addon, but paying over the internet is a problem for me

i would also donate money if i had the resources and methods

I would have paid for addons back when there was hardly any.

I would pay for addons still too, for example like someone said a nice AC carrier or such.

But even then , the addon would prolly get pirated and sent around for free.

And if addons were in a compilation like a whole mod, I would pay but how much? I already have alotta money into this game to begin with.And the mod would have to come with missions and such (not necessarily,the fun is making your own missions)

But then everyone would be stepping on feet and then there is ownership rights and things from the addons we wouldnt be able to use for our own mods, its hard to figure

Maybe try a donation thing (addon still free), and donaters would get the addons before the public or something if thats where this is headed

The reason I mentioned about a charity is because we had this idea a while ago when it came to distributing the mod once finished.. As it will most definetly be quite a hefty download (at least 400mb) we were looking at ways of distributing for non broadband users to enjoy.

We came up with the alternative option of having it on cd and then all monies recieved would go to some kind of War Memorial fund (South Atlantic Medal Association, British Legion,etc), we aint in it for the profit.

Obviously it would be a good idea if Pc Magazines could help to put them on coverdisks..

Has anyone thought about what happened to Counterstrike and Day of Defeat for HalfLIfe when they 'sold out'?  

Mods are and should always be free..  But tell that to a 56ker who has to spend 3 days downloading one...  sad_o.gif

Nope i wouldnt pay for an addon. Im not trying to be mean to the modlers but i would be broke if i had to pay for addons.

Even if they were on a cd i wouldnt want to buy it. I have BB (broadband) so I dont worry about dl addons. I think buying a cd full of addons is better for someone who has 56k.

The only time i would give some money would be if it was for a really good cause.

Im not trying to be greedy but i dont usually have spare money in my wallet. I usually get some stupid moth to come in and eat it. wink_o.giftounge_o.gif

Speaking of which *opens wallet and a moth flys out*

I'd buy it, but I'd refuse it to by it online..... If it went into stores I'd buy it in a jiff.

Guest ####

I'd pay if a few conditions are met, 1 they get licence from BIS, 2 it's a VW beetle.

How are Caucasus Mod preparing to sell their mod? I can't see that somehow...