Sign in to follow this  
SelectThis

Bas blackhawks

Okay, so just to clarify:

BAS_60Effects = 0, documented as "Remove the dust and other effects", actually disables all blackhawk-related scripts in the PBO.

Countermeasures/flares: the current readme states:

Quote[/b] ]

Countermeasures/flares. These are automatically released when the helicopter comes under attack from missiles, and they go some way to offering protection from the missiles. However, they are not foolproof, so as in real life hasty diversion is your best protection.

There is also limited RADAR Jamming capability if the helicopter comes under fire from a Shilka. (However this relies on the distinctly dodgy HIT eventhandler)

No mention is given of timing between countermeasures. Is there something I'm missing?

Guest jacobaby
Hmmm, then try putting bringing one down with a DKM havoc equipt with gunpods  wow_o.gif Then well talk again crazy_o.gif

But seriously, the flares don't affect my framerate at all (well with the exception of the situation stated above blues.gif)

Arch.

Dont blame us if other addons are configured in such a way as to cause problems.......

Also I am not certain that you can turn off the flares.

Of course i can do a count of the flares launched on the local machine and limit them, but how do you get that var to work on a non local machine?

(Actually I DO have a fix for this which is rather clever but the more knowledgeable among you will know the problem this presents, as the INcoming Eventhandler is activated on all Helo's, mocal and remote.)

At any rate, there is no scenario I can envisage that would place a Havoc in the same airspace as an MH60/MH47E, so if you wanna make oddball conflicts then maybe expect oddball events........

That said I will endevaour to limit the number of flares to a realistic level on the final version of the MH60, when we see what 1.92 brings about...

TJ

Thx.

Guest jacobaby
Quote[/b] ]It does say in the readme that the scripted fast roping does not work in MP.

didnt use the scripted command.

those were the conditions:

tested map on local adsl server

->human mh60 pilot not grouped with cargo

ping= 73

-->human team leader in cargo with 3 ai members

ping= 45

*mh60 pilot gets in hold position

**mh60 pilot actions "fast rope insertion (for troops in cargo)"

***cargo fastropes -> high bandwith useage starts

------------------------

human team leader ping <300 ~ >600 ~ <100

desynch= ~10000 ... very laggy

human pilot ping <150 ~ >350 ~ <150

desynch= ~35 - ~0 ... not much lag

-------------------------

...gonna report again with dedicated 100mbit server and monitor- command

it could be very possible, that all the script information from each player would flood the server bandwith.

OK thanks pang, I will look into that.

In the meantime, all should work ok if you get the AI Leader to rope out the AI, NOT the pilot.

That said, is this on your own mission or on one of Naguals?

TJ

Hmmm, then try bringing one down with a DKM havoc equipt with gunpods  wow_o.gif Then well talk again crazy_o.gif

But seriously, the flares don't affect my framerate at all (well with the exception of the situation stated above blues.gif)

Arch.

Dont blame us if other addons are configured in such a way as to cause problems.......

Of course i can do a count of the flares launched on the local machine and limit them, but how do you get that var to work on a non local machine?

(Actually I DO have a fix for this which is rather clever but the more knowledgeable among you will know the problem this presents, as the INcoming Eventhandler is activated on all Helo's, mocal and remote.)

At any rate, there is no scenario I can envisage that would place a Havoc in the same airspace as an MH60/MH47E, so if you wanna make oddball conflicts then maybe expect oddball events........

That said I will endevaour to limit the number of flares to a realistic level on the final version of the MH60, when we see what 1.92 brings about...

TJ

Thx.

No man, I don't blame anyone, I knew the 23mm gunpods on the Havoc were configured as rockets/missiles and that they would trigger the flares. I just said it because the others said there was no slowdown at all, and well, there is none, except the situation I discribed. But that would be a rare exception tounge_o.gif

Arch.

my only slow down in fps is when im in cargo when Hardware T&L is off and textures are over 1024 x 768, but even if HWTL is on and textures are over 1024 x 768 itll still lag.. but i got a gay comp anyway ofp only runs in 16 bit high color.. wont run in 24 bit or 32.

waiting on my new pc..

One classical approach is to add a virtual custom animation. The animation phase is automatically transmitted across the network. You can use it as an indicator of for instance if the unit can fire a flare at a time index. Or you could use its as an ammo counter to limit the overall number of flares.

Personally I would solve it like this:

Let the animation phase be equal to the time when the flare is fired. When you receive an incoming missile event you check the current time against the time stored in animation phase. If that time is greater than the desired minimum interval between flares then fire a flare and set the animation phase to the current time. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Dont blame us if other addons are configured in such a way as to cause problems.......

On the philosophical issue of incompatibility between addons:

I'm sorry, the blackhawks are a great addon, and one I enjoy immensely, but this statement is in my opinion just flat-out wrong for two reasons:

A) Yes, in this case the "other addon" is using a hack (shotmissile for what we'd normally expect to be a shotbullet). But so is the addon being defended. From what I gathered, you're camcreating (the original OFP hack) flares (which are used by OFP for lighting purposes) on all local machines, and you're presumably monkeying with the guidance of the shotmissiles.

So, the "configured in such a way as to cause problems" cuts both ways.

Worse, the problem here isn't that a bunch of missiles are being fired at the BH all at once, but rather that the countermeasure hack being used doesn't keep the flare dispenser rate reasonable.

B) Every nonessential feature should have a switch on it, for precisely this reason. As we make our mods more complex, we need to be more vigilant in giving the mission editor control

to exclude features.

Quote[/b] ]Of course i can do a count of the flares launched on the local machine and limit them, but how do you get that var to work on a non local machine?

Very few things are impossible in OFP.

Okay, if OnIncomingMissile fires on all clients, then you can have the EH:

A) Check for the existence of an array such as (BAS_FlareDropUnits) -- if it doesn't exist, create it.

B) check for the unit in said array,

1) if it exists, get the index and check the value of a parallel array (BAS_FlareDropTime)

a)If the time - value < the interval and is > 0 (this last bit is necessary for the autosave bug), Terminate.

b)otherwise, update BAS_FlareDropTime with time and initiate countermeasures.

2) if it does not exist, add the unit to the end, and the current time to FlareDropTime; initiate countermeasures.

if you're worried about MP synch problems, then you can do FlareDropTime and the rest using dynamically-assigned variable names. Heck if you do it that way, you could even have the flare dispenser eventually run out.

The game crashes whenever this or your chinook respawns - would be nice if they could respawn.

Im using doolittles 1 script respawn.

The game crashes whenever this or your chinook respawns - would be nice if they could respawn.

Using a respawnscript or a "remove"-script or CTI like salvaging, while the chopper(like blackhawk, kiowa, mh47) is burning on the ground(using their own scripts), ofp will crash to desktop.

Big problem in CTI maps using the choppers, cause you buy them ingame and I don´t know how to add a command in the init field of a chopper that is not on the map on mission start.

MfG Lee sad_o.gif

ok two questions that i hope to be answered pls

this is wen ai are controlling the bh

why do the bh only attack infantry wen it is stationary?

also is there a script for the dap to attack infantry?

i tested the dap on desert map against standard bis soldiers and it didnt even fire a shot!! it got blown up after it made passes over the area many many times

is there anyway to make the dap attack infantry like the apache= a script built in??

i dont play mp so i hope u guys understand my situation

i also i dont like the apache always being my air support

the dap is such a good anti infantry wen ur flying it but not wen the ai is

if there isnt a script is it possible to have it on ver 1.1 like the apache addon u sent with ur bh.....that get targetted but make the attackers pay???

i love ur mod team im just reporting wat id like for the next version wen 1.92 comes out therefore im not demanding ,, if u guys dont make the script its fine with me, i still love ur addons and appreciate the hard and excellent work u do for the community

wink_o.gif

The DAP will attack infantry, try using different types of Waypoints (eg Guard). It might also be the location, sometimes buildings or hills might disrupt the DAP when it's doing a gun run and cause it not to shoot.

The reason we didnt add any cargo spaces to the DAP was to make it easier to use it in conjunction with ground units. If you have a AI leader soldier unit acting as spotter for a DAP in it's group, then the DAP will engage more often (as far I have seen)

re: "faked" cannon using missles.

I can assure you all that we will look at how this interacts with countermeasures. There will definitely be a variable to turn off Countermeasures, but hopefully we can come up with more automated systems, keep posting ideas if you have any. We will be doing an update after 1.92 comes out. (1.92 may also help with respawning problems)

SelectThis

Are addons using 'shotMissile' for fake cannons? Surely you

only need 'shotRocket'? The incoming EH can then decide

on whether the weapon is a guided missile or a rocket, and

only launch CM for (and spoof) the former.

The DAP will attack infantry, try using different types of Waypoints (eg Guard). It might also be the location, sometimes buildings or hills might disrupt the DAP when it's doing a gun run and cause it not to shoot.

The reason we didnt add any cargo spaces to the DAP was to make it easier to use it in conjunction with ground units. If you have a AI leader soldier unit acting as spotter for a DAP in it's group, then the DAP will engage more often (as far I have seen)

ive found out that u need to have a placement radius of about 50 to 100 or how large the area u need covered on waypoint guard

b4 i did not put a placement radius on waypointguard therefore the chopper did not attack, once i made a place ment radius of 50 and later 100 and added another dap to form 2 daps in a group they slaughtered the 2 bis infantry squads

but imagine its full potential and this is only 1.0

and it can already do damage

okay did further tests and 3 dap now were in one group taking on 3 bis squad infantry = they were all shot down but they did put up fight but not big enuff

okay my idea is that why not make the bh a bit tougher with more amour, since they are meant to be able to take one rpg hit in the armour area, with the windows have hit so that around 30 bullets at least should only break it

I'm using doolittles respawn script as well. What you need to do is increase the _delay = 200. This is because the script is trying to delete the vehicle before the vehicle has completed those fancy visual effects. This causes ofp to crash.

Hoz

Yeah the Blackhawl is to weak, If there is much infantry (like 2 squads) and you try to fastrope some rangers near the squads..your as good as dead (not the rangers the chopper biggrin_o.gif )

It should take more.

Of course i think the idea was not to make it invincible but the current setting is really to weak.

On the other hand when you play as russian you just need a rpk and get near the BH and AUTO FIRE...the BH will crash in like 10 sec?

Its not very durible.

But i think it shouldn´t take a RPG hit, since its 1 of the posibillities you have in opf (maybe the best, when you don´t have a stinger) to bring a chopper down.

Guest jacobaby
Yeah the Blackhawl is to weak, If there is much infantry (like 2 squads) and you try to fastrope some rangers near the squads..your as good as dead (not the rangers the chopper  biggrin_o.gif )

The very reason that when carrying out Fast roping ops, the crew dispense flash bangs and smokes to confuse the enemy.

(in real life I mean)

Maybe you could include a feature like this in your missions.

Guest jacobaby
One classical approach is to add a virtual custom animation.  The animation phase is automatically transmitted across the network.  You can use it as an indicator of for instance if the unit can fire a flare at a time index.  Or you could use its as an ammo counter to limit the overall number of flares.

Personally I would solve it like this:

Let the animation phase be equal to the time when the flare is fired.  When you receive an incoming missile event you check the current time against the time stored in animation phase.  If that time is greater than the desired minimum interval between flares then fire a flare and set the animation phase to the current time. smile_o.gif

Hehehe, I used the hidden animations extensively, both on this and the Mh47.

There is an issue with animations, but in this case it wouldnt matter.

My favoured method to limit the flares would be this;

The BH caries 30 flares I think, and I cfg'd it to fire 3 + 3 per incoming missile.

So 1/30 =0.033

0.033 * 6 =0.198

So at the start of each incoming event I will check if the phase is below 1, and if so add 0.198 to it. This also allows the option of refilling the pods when on the ground, which is something that might be cool.

In the worst case scenario there could be a max of 30 or so flares at any one time, and even the most grudging of PC's should be able to cope with that, I could even benchmark it.

TJ

Guest jacobaby
A) From what I gathered, you're camcreating (the original OFP hack) flares (which are used by OFP for lighting purposes) on all local machines, and you're presumably monkeying with the guidance of the shotmissiles.

B) Very few things are impossible in OFP.

C) Okay, if OnIncomingMissile fires on all clients, then you can have the EH:

i) Check for the existence of an array such as (BAS_FlareDropUnits) -- if it doesn't exist, create it.

ii) check for the unit in said array,

1) if it exists, get the index and check the value of a parallel array (BAS_FlareDropTime)

a)If the time - value < the interval and is > 0 (this last bit is necessary for the autosave bug), Terminate.

b)otherwise, update BAS_FlareDropTime with time and initiate countermeasures.

2) if it does not exist, add the unit to the end, and the current time to FlareDropTime; initiate countermeasures.

Points taken in turn.

A)  The sqs is pure dropped loveliness, nothing is camcreated. That used to be the way the flares worked on some models, a flare model with a huge invisible Hit plane that would cause the missile to crash into it, but I decided that wasnt accurate enough and so figured a way to divert the missile on its course (as a real flare does).

The "Flares" I drop do not actually cast any light, which has been critiscised, but the whole point of flares is to produce a massive Infra red signature, and obviously IR light is invisible.

I believe you can also get flares which only cast a light visible with NVG.

B) My motto  biggrin_o.gif

C) I am pretty certain this would be too slow. As it is the rockets fly at enormous velocity, and actually the flares already are fired after the missile has passed by.

Thanks for the suggestions though, the technique I will use is outlined above.

TJ

I've never tested this but do the flares work 100% of the time? I've flown about 2 or 3 missions where AA Soldiers were present but none were able to shoot me down, and this was with 3 to 5 rockets being fired at me over the course of each mission.

I've never tested this but do the flares work 100% of the time? I've flown about 2 or 3 missions where AA Soldiers were present but none were able to shoot me down, and this was with 3 to 5 rockets being fired at me over the course of each mission.

No, infact during MP testing with the blackhawk we were hit by a strela, flying at about 10m, the engine cut but miraculously we all survived...then we killed each other...

Cool. As long as it works.

Actually, now that 1.92 is out, you can initialize the BHs to an array on each machine, at which point my solution C would be:

1) look up the position of the BH in an array (a quick function can do this, like

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

private ["_array", "_element", "_result", "_i", "_count"];

_array = _this select 0;

_element = _this select 1;

_result = -1;

_count = count _array;

while {_i < _count} do {if (_array select _i == _element) then {_result = _i; _i = count} else {_i = _i + 1}};

_result

2) do a quick time comparison as described above.

superfast. ;)

Anyway, it's easy to come up with code and a theory. Implementation is the hard part. As long as you get something that works, I'm happy.

Dropped flares? Incidentally, we've put all our drops in functions with switches in them -- I assume you do the same. Just be sure one of those switches is the unit you're attaching to (if (IsNull _unit) then {_proceed = 0}). You never know when some idiot mission editor is going to delete your vehicle.

Once again, congratulations on a cool addon.

Forgive me if this has already been posted (and I posted in the wrong forum first time crazy_o.gif ) but I tried reading throught all 45pages and gave up after 7 or 8, but when I try to start a mission with fuel set to zero I get a fugged up start up audio sample that repeats itself for ever. When I acctivate the trigger to 'setfuel to 1' the animation fuggs up as well, there's about 1frame every 3seconds. It does this with the chinook as well(I only tried the BH & chinook). It's fine with the default helos' though sad_o.gif . I tried accessing the BAS site but I just get a timeout or 401 error...

Gorgeous models the lot!, and the JAM sounds are the bogs dollox!! biggrin_o.gif . I read somewhere that there's some British forces/units being made?, or is that out of date/cancelled nwews?...

Guest jacobaby
Forgive me if this has already been posted (and I posted in the wrong forum first time crazy_o.gif ) but I tried reading throught all 45pages and gave up after 7 or 8, but when I try to start a mission with fuel set to zero I get a fugged up start up audio sample that repeats itself for ever. When I acctivate the trigger to 'setfuel to 1' the animation fuggs up as well, there's about 1frame every 3seconds. It does this with the chinook as well(I only tried the BH & chinook). It's fine with the default helos' though sad_o.gif . I tried accessing the BAS site but I just get a timeout or 401 error...

Gorgeous models the lot!, and the JAM sounds are the bogs dollox!! biggrin_o.gif . I read somewhere that there's some British forces/units being made?, or is that out of date/cancelled nwews?...

will look into it.

When we have completed internal testing of 1.92 and had time to get a thorough reporting of ALL bugs/glitches then we will be in a position to release a final version, but there is NO way at this point we are able to give ANY idea on timescale.

TJ

Guest jacobaby
Dropped flares?  Incidentally, we've put all our drops in functions with switches in them -- I assume you do the same.  Just be sure one of those switches is the unit you're attaching to (if (IsNull _unit) then {_proceed = 0}).  You never know when some idiot mission editor is going to delete your vehicle.

I would appreciate the chance to talk privately about this.

Thanks

TJ