Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

New bas thread

Sigma didnt make the tanks "for" BAS, but we decided to co-operate on the project to produce the best addons for us, and you, the end user.

Whats the difference?

Sigma-6 makes tanks "for" RHS and we improve them with scripting and cargo animations...

So you are trying to say that he made them at his own whim (edit) in his own time, while he is busy with real life and the other mod teams (/edit) without even realizing that you were going to ask him to help "co-operate" in the pack?

So you are trying to say that he made them at his own whim (edit) in his own time, while he is busy with real life and the other mod teams (/edit) without even realizing that you were going to ask him to help "co-operate" in the pack?

Actually, yes...

He had made the tanks long before the Desert Pack had even been proposed, and whilst I was commenting on it (the des pack) in your old forums, before we were "seperated" Sigma said something along the lines of "I have models for them, maybe we could co-op on it", to which I replied "hell yeah!"

So we took his models, which he no longer had time to work on (due to his making practically every T variant for RHS, and the Canadian tanks for Northstar), and have totally re-worked the models.

So, in future Blackdog, please do not post "your version of events" on the topic if you do not know the ins and outs of the whole story...

I told AngusHeaf this idea for a desert (insert peeved/angry smiley here) HMMWV with TOW.

What about having the HMMWV have to come to a full stop, use an action menu action to 'supported' mode, and then switch to a static model where driver would then be commander in the static 'turret', the gunner would still be gunner. Cargo would either be ejected or stay in as cargo. I believe they have to come to a full stop IRL to fire.

OK, you win. But here's the last post from the previous page which you may have missed.... advice smile_o.gif

Yeah, I saw it, dont know if we [bAS] will do anything about it, you never know...

Yes BD i saw footage from Iraq of a TOW Hummer firing at a disabled Iraqi tank to destroy it completley wow was some sight the Hummer stopped the TV crew was shooting the footage the Gunner then took aim , *BOOM*...

Besides to get a 100% chance of a hit stopping is necesarry , these missiles arent locked are they? rock.gif

Besides to get a 100% chance of a hit stopping is necesarry , these missiles arent locked are they?  rock.gif

Nope, they arent locked, they are steered via a wire guideance line to the target via the SACLOS (Semi-Active Command to Line Of Sight) guidance system.

OFP has the "lock" function to enable gamers without any military experience to use the missiles effectively.

Edit: My SACLOS phonetic was wrong sad_o.gif (not anymore smile_o.gif )

I knew you would say that i always have heard this wire guided term... what does it means i mean how does a missile fire in such a system is it guided by a wire ? rock.gif , Where is the wire in this whole scenario ? Plz explain this deadmeat , i't'll be appreciated if you can since theres no article on this on your website even smile_o.gif

Basically, you fire the missile, and it trails out a LONG (think 2 km) thin (very very thin) wire behind it, from the launcher.

Now here comes the science bit:

The gunner, looking through his sight, has a little joystick (like the shitty ones you get on old laptops) that he uses to make corrections to the missiles flight path.

When he moves the joystick, it sends electronic pulses down the long thin wire, which activates servo motors attached to the guidance fins.

These servo motors move the fins, thus chaning the missiles flight profile, and making it change course (much like the Ailerons on an aircraft)

So that way, the gunner can tweak, rather than massively alter, the flightpath of the TOW missile, and be much more accurate on hitting the target.

Does that clear it up? or do you want me to explain in more detail (I'll be happy to do so)

Hmm yes now i am clear about it just as i thought i wire is dragging behind it ... biggrin_o.gif ... i was afraid to say that myself thought i'd make a fool of myself but it turns out that this really happens.... So does this wire snap off later or not? I mean if the targets range is a bit extreme say 1900 or 2100 m what does the gunner do then? What if the wire yanks the gunners whole position OFF the turret crazy_o.gif

Also is this missile hand loaded and does it takes much time to replace it? Meaning its a bit useless for direct contacts with more then one vehicle?

Yes the wire snaps, it's not a whale-harpoon you know biggrin_o.gif It's a really REALLY thin wire. The TOW has to be reloaded manually. This takes time indeed. Remember that even the M2 bradley only has two of them loaded. If they are used they have to be reloaded manually by the crew.

Yeah, its snaps off, so no probs there.

The wire isnt attached to the launcher per-say, but to the launch tube, so all you have to do is plug in a new tube, and you're away smile_o.gif

For a more indepth look at SACLOS go here: SACLOS Info Page

And here for more info on the TOW Missile: TOW II Info Page

...The TOW has to be reloaded manually. This takes time indeed...

Actually, no they dont take long to reload, as they are a modular system, its just like changing mags on a rifle.

(Things have changed a lot since the Panzerfaust days tounge_o.gif )

Ah ok thanks for the links will check them out smile_o.gif

One question is there anyother vehicle in the world which uses such a wire system of firing a missile from it .. either from the soviets or chinese etc etc?

One question is there anyother vehicle in the world which uses such a wire system of firing a missile from it .. either from the soviets or chinese etc etc?

Yeah, all kinds of ATGM's are wire guided, the Soviet Kornets, the British MILAN and MR TRIGAT, and plenty of other systems use wire guidance.

Remember, lasers havent been around all that long, and before them wire or radio was the only way to guide your missiles wink_o.gif

...The TOW has to be reloaded manually. This takes time indeed...

Actually, no they dont take long to reload, as they are a modular system, its just like changing mags on a rifle.

(Things have changed a lot since the Panzerfaust days tounge_o.gif )

I didn't say it takes a long time. It's just that it's not an auto-reload system. For engaging more than one target the TOW HMMWV really has to depend on stealth.

Wire-guided missiles can sometimes be better than laser-guided. Laser-guided missiles can now effectively be detected and jammed.

A wireguided missile strikes (almost) without warning. And because it's guided by the wire and the gunner directly, it cannot be jammed.

Yeah, all kinds of ATGM's are wire guided, the Soviet Kornets, the British MILAN and MR TRIGAT, and plenty of other systems use wire guidance.

Remember, lasers havent been around all that long, and before them wire or radio was the only way to guide your missiles wink_o.gif

Yep they were evan using infa-red lasers in the Vietnam war, Good or what biggrin_o.gif

Wire-guided missiles can sometimes be better than laser-guided. Laser-guided missiles can now effectively be detected and jammed.

Hence the reason it is still in common use today.

A practical example of the users preference for wire guidance is the Isralies.

The prefer the AH-1 with wire guided TOW over the AH-64 with radar guided hellfire when striking palestinian targets, as the gunner has the oppertunity to fly the missile in to the target building, often through the window, whereas the hellfire will strike the target smack in the center.

The TOW is preferred in that situation because it minimalises collateral damage. However, the visual guidance system is vulnerable to poor weather (you can guide it if you cant see it) and smoke screens, where the radar guided weapon is not...

So, as with all things, its "swings and roundabouts" choosing the right weapon for the job smile_o.gif

The new airforce new fad is actully GPS guided weapons becuase these can be used any any wether types, the only drawback is that it isn't has accurate is infa-red

Quote[/b] ]Tank Crewman (Desert)

Driver (Desert - Boonie hat)

M2 A3 Bradley IFV

M6 Bradley Linebacker

M3 A3 Bradley CFV

M1 A1 HA Abrams Heavy Armour

M1 A2 Abrams SEP

M60 A3 Patton (Marines Variant)

M113 A3 APC

M901 A3 TOW (Modified M113)

M577 A3 Mobile Command Unit

M998 HMMWV (Army/Marines Variants)

M998 HMMWV Open (Army/Marines Variants)

M1035 HMMWV Ambulance

M1025 HMMWV M2 HB (Army/Marines Variants)

M1025 HMMWV M240G (Army/Marines Variants)

M1025 HMMWV Mk19 GL (Army/Marines Variants)

M1097 HMMWV Cargo/Troop Carrier

M1037 HMMWV Shelter Carrier

M270 MLRS

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck Open

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck (M2 HB)

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck (M2 HB) Open

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck (Fuel)

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck (Ammo)

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck (M240)

M939 A2 5-Ton Truck (M240) Open

M977 HEMTT 11-Ton Truck

M978 HEMTT 11-Ton Truck (Fuel)

M984 A1 HEMTT Recovery Truck

M983 HEMTT Truck Tractor

M2 HB in Fortified Position

M220 TOW Launcher in Fortified Position

Modular Tent and Shelter Systems

And some bouns Vehicles:

M163 A2 Vulcan

M730 A2 Chapraral

M1 Abrams

About this list.

I know its called the desert pack and i know that you dont say much about your projects. But is there any plans on making these in "green" camo aswell?? Since it would be a even bigger thing for the game in "green" camo than in desert camo.

just askin if the new delta units will have better ai since they are delta force

like quicker reactions in spotting and shooting an enemy

and is the handgun script that in which they will only use handguns wen they are 1m away be implemented?

Seems if I put in Deltas w/ .75-full exp setting, they acquire and eliminate targets with alarming efficiency! Maybee just "luck" in the times I've done this though.

As an aside, I'm sure it has been mentioned (didn't wanna read through over a hundred pages of BAS threads (this and the Delta/Ranger set), but I just noticed it last night. The Ranger Heavy Mgunner (m240) shows the muzzle flash on his shadow. Not when he fires, it is always there. (Never saw a shadow for a muzzle flash in any case. Never noticed it on this guy either, just noticed it by chance last night.

Ah ok thanks for the links will check them out  smile_o.gif

The Mk.48 ADCAP torpedo can be wire guided smile_o.gif

As can many other torpedos.

Also until recently, the main drawback of JDAMs (GPS guidance kit fitted Mk.82s, Mk.84s, Mk.83s) is that the targets have to be pre-programmed before the flight, which means that it can't be used against TOEs, but now, the capability to programme the bomb inflight is being introduced, which makes the JDAM practically a perfect weapon smile_o.gif

Deadmeat i dont know if you actully know this or not but sigma's Abrams which you are modifying/remaking has a big bug with 2003 m1a2 ammo values in that they are far far to powerful. Because currently it will take out an oplot with a single shot the oplot dosent even stand a chance, even though it has the same 120mm cannon crazy_o.gif. This is highly in acurate as the Oplot should at least match the M1a2 on fire and probably has better armour.

I would hate to think that we have a situation where this thing can wipe out anything it goes up against even allegedly

superior soviet armour sad_o.gif