Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

New bas thread

Thnxs for the Update Avon and even thnxs for bringin this topic back to on-topic: Man i dont understand this crazy_o.gif

I know i dont may complain on how the forums are moderatored but!!!:

!!!"Wy The F*** does the mod's dont watch this Treaths because if you look at the G section and then the Pics well you just have to do 1 wrong thing and hey they are there and if you look at the AM:D or AM:C well the MOD's SUCHS at that place so FIX IT or il leave and go to OFPEC mad_o.gif

BTW: BAS 3 days till release from MH pack wink_o.gif

Guest jacobaby
Thnxs for the Update Avon and even thnxs for bringin this topic back to on-topic: Man i dont understand this  crazy_o.gif

I!!!"Wy The F*** does the mod's dont watch this Treaths because if you look at the G section and then the Pics well you just have to do 1 wrong thing and hey they are there and if you look at the AM:D or AM:C well the MOD's SUCHS at that place so FIX IT or il leave and go to OFPEC  mad_o.gif

BTW: BAS 3 days till release from MH pack  wink_o.gif

Avon, really, whats posted in the newsgroup is only a restatement of what is posted here or on OFPEC BAS thread.

I dont really know what Waffendennis is going on about......but when he says

Quote[/b] ]so FIX IT or il leave and go to OFPEC

I dont hear many dissenting voices.......so dont let the door bang on your ass on the way out eh?

Thanks for the news about 3 days to release though, we were wondering when it would be, and now we know. If you get a chance could you let us know when the desert pack is coming out too please......

TJ

If you get a chance could you let us know when the desert pack is coming out too please......

mad_o.gif WHEN IT'S DONE! mad_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I for one would appreciate it if after new releases the topic thread is used just to highlight "surprise" features you have found, things you especially like or find interesting, or links to pictures etc of the addon in action, or genuine questions about the addon that we neglected to include in the readme.

So basically you want us to heap praise on your addons and shut up about bugs, in this thread...  rock.gif

It all depends on JAM don't you think? But he's right about those three days (max), though. It's what you guys said.

AVON;

are you sure about that release date for the desert pack? I mean that's great news. I wouldn't want it to be released when it's 10% done. Good to hear your contacts with BAS provide us with such invaluable information from time to time.

thanks Avon.

AVON;

are you sure about that release date for the desert pack? I mean that's great news. I wouldn't want it to be released when it's 10% done. Good to hear your contacts with BAS provide us with such invaluable information from time to time.

thanks Avon.

*cough*

I never mentioned the desert pack.

*cough*

sad_o.gif don´t care about the desert pack at the moment..i want the blackhawk crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I for one would appreciate it if after new releases the topic thread is used just to highlight "surprise" features you have found, things you especially like or find interesting, or links to pictures etc of the addon in action, or genuine questions about the addon that we neglected to include in the readme.

So basically you want us to heap praise on your addons and shut up about bugs, in this thread...  rock.gif

Yes.

Good addons, they are the same as their BIS made cousins\counterparts execpt visually.

There seems to be a bug with one of the addons, though. Whenever I get in one of the addon'd helicopters and take off I can see my shadow on the ground but it's my shadow of me sitting in the seat and not the chopper, and sometimes the chopper randomly explodes for no reason whatsoever.

Oops, I forgot, no talking about bugs, right?

My bad.

Stop being such assholes people... mad_o.gif

sad_o.gif don´t care about the desert pack at the moment..i want the blackhawk  crazy_o.gif

man you like.. read my mind sometimes.

Guest jacobaby

We need to know about the bugs. Badly. Its the only way they can be fixed. And theres likely to be loads in such a big pack...

But unless they are reported properly we cant act on them, and so the words are wasted here, which doesnt help us or you at all. That is why we set up a Bug reporting page on our site.

If you feel like heaping praise, well thats very kind of you, a few words of commendation are very encouraging. However moans/complaints/unwarranted critiscisms tend to be a drag, especially when, as I have said, we have all done the best we can. The standard feeling amongst addon makers is that, if you dont like it, make it yourself or dont use it, but there's no need at all for all the bitching that is heaped upon nearly every addon released.

If we got paid for it it'd be different!!

@Omnimax ........pointless post...why bother?

TJ

The standard feeling amongst addon makers is that, if you dont like it, make it yourself...

I stick by my guns when I say that that is one of the most stupid things addonmakers say.It's simply ridiculous reasoning mad_o.gif

I know I've said this before but it just doesn't make sense to say that if we don't like an addon, then we should either (basically) shut up or make our own.

When you go for a meal and the meal isn't to your liking, does the chef tell you to make your own?Or if you've got a builder in the house making you an extension and you criticize his work, will he tell you to do it yourself?

NO!

rock.gif

for a meal and the meal isn't to your liking, does the chef tell you to make your own?Or if you've got a builder in the house making you an extension and you criticize his work, will he tell you to do it yourself?

NO!

rock.gif

Okay, but the main difference here is that you are paying the restaurant for a quality meal and you are paying the contractors for the extension. The BAS team does this at no cost to us.

When you go for a meal and the meal isn't to your liking, does the chef tell you to make your own?Or if you've got a builder in the house making you an extension and you criticize his work, will he tell you to do it yourself?

NO!

rock.gif

...but you pay for the meal and the addons are for free and that's the point!

Edit: Ok, Chomps was faster... wink_o.gif

So does this mean that we can't criticize the addons they make?

OK I understand that they have put a lot of time into the addon they've (not directing at any particular addonmaker here) released but you have to think honestly that addonmakers kinda hope for some recognition for the work they've done, and by telling us (the general non addonmaking OFP playing public) that we can't criticize the addon isn't going to achieve this.

Of course there are pointless,rude and completely unconstructive comments directed towards them (addonmakers) that should just be ignored but often a simple criticism is regarded as an insult and degenerates more often than not into either a maker closing a thread, going off on a sulk or falling into a flaming battle.

I just wish they could act more like regular OFP enjoying people rather than God's gift to the OFP community.Afterall there's no reason why they are making an addon other than for their own enjoyment and releasing it to the community is a way of exhibiting their work, so they should be able to either shrug off criticism or answer it in a non God's-gift-to-the-community type of way.

I am sure I will get some criticism for saying this but I am simply clearing my chest.I hope I am not the only one with this view.

I admire addonmakers for sharing their skills with the community, not because they are addonmakers.

We need to know about the bugs. Badly. Its the only way they can be fixed. And theres likely to be loads in such a big pack...

But unless they are reported properly we cant act on them, and so the words are wasted here, which doesnt help us or you at all. That is why we set up a Bug reporting page on our site.

Would it be possible to create a page to view bugs that have been previously submitted?

Regards,

Chris

Guest jacobaby
Would it be possible to create a page to view bugs that have been previously submitted?

Sounds like a good idea.......

Have to see what the boffins can do........I like the sound of that though, it would mean that currently known bugs are listed for everyone to see.

As for this comment;

Quote[/b] ]I just wish they could act more like regular OFP enjoying people rather than God's gift to the OFP community.Afterall there's no reason why they are making an addon other than for their own enjoyment and releasing it to the community is a way of exhibiting their work, so they should be able to either shrug off criticism or answer it in a non God's-gift-to-the-community type of way.

I guess its hard NOT to be defensive of something you devote lots of time and effort to. Maybe the problem comes from the younger elements of the community who have not developed socially enough to know how to "criticise" in a constructive way. Comments are much more likely to be recieved well if they are presented well, which as you know isn't always the case.

The point you make is interesting though, about making the addons primarily for ourselves. I cannot speak for the other guys in BAS or other addon teams, but personally, all the elements that I add or work on are what I think will be most useful to players who will use them. This is not an "exhibition" of my work in any way, but rather my efforts to make the game more enjoyable for the community. For instance, on the Mh47E I spent hundreds of hours and lost lots of money from lost income to make it as good as I could. Since its release however I have probably played with it only 9 or 10 times. We hardly get time to play with the stuff we make. So its not a way of exhibiting our work and getting some kind of "credit", what we do is done for the community at large. As such I feel your argument is flawed.

Basic good manners dictate that you dont take a pair of socks as a gift from your granny and then throw them back in her face if you dont like them. You just smile sweetly and chuck them out when you get home, the granny never needs to know.

So I dont think its too much to ask, on behalf of ALL addon makers, for basic good manners to prevail. Compared to other communities, it seems this one has a good deal of growing up to do.

TJ

Well I put forward my point of view in a grown up manner.

I can't begin to mention all the stupid manners in which a lot of this communities members put theirs forward. rock.gif

Did I ever say anything that would indicate I "throw in your face" addons I don't like?

Guest jacobaby
Did I ever say anything that would indicate I "throw in your face" addons I don't like?

My comments are not specifically aimed at you. Sorry if that was the impression given, it was not my intent.

TJ

So does this mean that we can't criticize the addons they make?

OK I understand that they have put a lot of time into the addon they've (not directing at any particular addonmaker here) released but you have to think honestly that addonmakers kinda hope for some recognition for the work they've done, and by telling us (the general non addonmaking OFP playing public) that we can't criticize the addon isn't going to achieve this.

Of course there are pointless,rude and completely unconstructive comments directed towards them (addonmakers) that should just be ignored but often a simple criticism is regarded as an insult and degenerates more often than not into either a maker closing a thread, going off on a sulk or falling into a flaming battle.

I just wish they could act more like regular OFP enjoying people rather than God's gift to the OFP community.Afterall there's no reason why they are making an addon other than for their own enjoyment and releasing it to the community is a way of exhibiting their work, so they should be able to either shrug off criticism or answer it in a non God's-gift-to-the-community type of way.

I am sure I will get some criticism for saying this but I am simply clearing my chest.I hope I am not the only one with this view.

I admire addonmakers for sharing their skills with the community, not because they are addonmakers.

While I agree with some of your points, you have to think of it from their perspective. Let's use your restraunt analogy. Say a friend of yours spent a lot of years refining his cooking skills to the point where he has become a gourmet chef. Now this friend decides to open a five star restraunt. A day before he officially opens, he holds a test run and invites all of his friends for a free meal to see how they like the restraunt. Everyone gets dressed up for the occassion and shows up. Meanwhile the chef has prepared for weeks for this occasion. He selects the finest ingredients, painstakingly plans the meal, selects the wines, and spends hours upon hours preparing the meal according to the utmost of his cooking skills. He literally has placed his pride and joy into the creation of a lovely dinner for his friends. His professional reputation is at stake and his ego is wrapped up in the project because he desperately wants to share his abilities with others and watch them recieve pleasure and gratification from his efforts, thus rewarding him for all the years he spent honing these skills and making them seem worthwhile. He serves this fine meal to all his guests without charge and sits back to watch them enjoy it. The pleasure they recieve from it his only reward. The guests, who contributed nothing to the effort but their opinion, bitch that the wine isn't good enough, the silverware isn't a pattern they like, the music he picked for atmosphere sucks, the chairs are too uncomfortable etc... Then they tell him he's a lousy chef and to go back into the kitchen and fix the problems immediately or they will eat at someone else's restraunt from now on.

How would you feel?

I'd be willing to bet that you would take comments like that as a personal insult. First of all (as with a new addon), a lot of the criticism had nothing directly to do with the effort itself, but with peripheral details. Second, because those details are not always completely sorted out, or their are unanticipated problems with the debut of any venture requiring an extreme amount of skill and effort to produce, the critics trash the effort in its entirety, which is just flat out stupid and the undeserved. Lastly, those doing the crticisizing paid nothing for the product they recieved, they put no time into it, lack the skills to produce anything remotely similar themselves, and recieved it solely for their own personal enjoyment and benefit. And yet they still have the balls to trash the effort! It show a complete lack of tact and regard for other people. These individuals have simply never progressed mentally and morally past the age of four year olds who have the mindset of: "The world revolves around me. Every one here is here only to meet my needs and provideme with gratification. I want it now! I want it my way! Me first! Me!, Me!, Me!"

See what I mean?

So while constructive criticism or comments are probably appreciated, they should be given with these ideas in mind. What you are criticisizing is somebody's labor of love, produced solely for you to enjoy, at the expense of countless hours, with no reward. The reward to the maker is that you enjoy what they have made. If you don't, it can be disturbing and hurtful, so make sure you critisize tactfully and respectfully, and not rudely or stupidly. wink_o.gif

Sometimes I wonder....It's like I'm speaking to a brick wall...

I clearly distanced myself from the people who whine and bitch about addons that have been painstakingly worked on for weeks/months...

All I was trying to say is that sometimes addonmakers seem to believe us addon users have no right to criticize their work...

Folks.........FIGHT WITH PM!!!!!!

DON`T ABUSE THIS THREAD!

Damn its always the same....

Guest jacobaby
All I was trying to say is that sometimes addonmakers seem to believe us addon users have no right to criticize their work...

You have the right to do anything you like. But whether it is RIGHT to complain about a gift given to you is a matter of opinion.

I know i'm getting on a bit now, but when I was a boy I was taught to be grateful for any gift. Sometimes I hated the gift, but I wouldnt have dreamed of telling the giver of the gift that.

The proverb says "more happiness in giving than recieving", well that depends on the response of the one recieving.

Also it depends on what you mean by critiscism.

Because addon makers value feedback such as ;

The color is like this in the picture I have, here's the link...

I found the interface a little clunky, the action menu is cluttered.......

Did you know theres a missing texture in one of the LODs, here's a picture.....

That kind of "critiscism" is constructive and is really the addon makers best friend. We depend on it at BAS and im sure the other mod teams do to. It would be impossible for us to test every aspect in the way the community can.

As you know, we also get such as this;

The colours are crappy, i wanted a green one...

The actions are buggy, it wont do anything....

There's stupid white bits all over it....

I think you know what I mean.

Again Shashman, those comments are not specifically at you, they are aimed at the ungrateful, rude, and abusive kids that post that stuff. And though we do let it wash over, its still de-moralizing.

Schoeler, thats a great post, it should be the motto of the addon and mod discussion thread!!

Lets have no more of this particular topic anyway, it's getting tedious.

Meanwhile the chrome is being polished on the Blackhawks, the helmets are being straightened on the SOARs, and the Magazines are being covered in JAM. Very soon we'll tie it all up in a big red bow and give it to you all.

Hope you like it.

smile_o.gif

TJ