Sign in to follow this  

Ask a mod

What's happened to BoweryBaker?

His threads were the only reason I visited here on a Friday night. biggrin_o.gif

...so who's getting into the holiday spirit with themed avatars? So far I've noticed myself and Mr. Burns... xmas_o.gif

<span id='ME'><center>EiZei jumps aboard</center></span>

...so who's getting into the holiday spirit with themed avatars? So far I've noticed myself and Mr. Burns... xmas_o.gif

<span id='ME'><center>EiZei jumps aboard</center></span>

You all need some lens flare Jesus in your lives, boys.

Dear Moderators!

Hate to bother you (well not really you know smile_o.gif ) but I would like to ask you a favour! Would it be possible to make a rule about the length of quotes from newspapers etc. I am - like most people here - a keen reader of newspapers and find it a bit boring having to read something like two full A4 pages full of quotes whenever there's news about the tsunami catastrophy. It should be possible for the forum members to paste and quote the most relevant stuff and provide us with a link for the rest of the article.

Happy new year - everything considered!

find it a bit boring having to read something like two full A4 pages full of quotes whenever there's news about the tsunami catastrophy. It should be possible for the forum members to paste and quote the most relevant stuff and provide us with a link for the rest of the article.

Hmm whilst I can sympathise with your complaint I don't think it's really necessary to enforce a rule on such a micro-managerial level, if an article is interesting and well written you will read it all (no matter how long), if the article is poor, or boring, or just not interesting to you then you will skip it and move on to the next post smile_o.gif

Just don't quote another poster's quote on the article in whole, or the thread will be unecessary long. smile_o.gif

Just don't quote another poster's quote on the article in whole, or the thread will be unecessary long. smile_o.gif

Now this is indeed a good point. I spend a lot of time in the MilitaryPhotos forums and it seems there are no rules for these things there.

People quote images (forbidden here) and long qoutes are simply quoted again. Very irritating and you read the same thing over and over.

Perhaps you could make a 'guideline' or a rule that you only quote the relevant parts of the other posters quote when quoting his post. But since this does not happen a lot here, I doubt it is really needed.

I agree - I am at MilitaryPhotos.net almost as much as I am on here and I find it so irritating when people quote like 10 images just to say "Cool!" or "Is he Delta?".

By contrast, though, I don't usually mind when people quote long text. I often find that people on this forum will highlight specific passages from quoted text, which is useful to point out what they're talking about.

If someone quotes two pages of text to reply with a one line answer I'll often have a little whinge at them, it doesn't happen too often so there's no need to pounce on it too heavily I think smile_o.gif

Are you allowed a name change? I've converted to dmakatra in all forums, communities and whatever except this one. Kinda bugs me. smile_o.gif

EDIT: Sorry if this has been asked already, but searching through 109 pages doesn't exactley fancy me. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Are you allowed a name change? I've converted to dmakatra in all forums, communities and whatever except this one. Kinda bugs me.

You can... sort of.

When I did it I had to have my old account post restricted, and removed the email address.  Then create a new account with your e-mail, and they'll transfer the posts.

Quote[/b] ]Are you allowed a name change? I've converted to dmakatra in all forums, communities and whatever except this one. Kinda bugs me.

You can... sort of.

When I did it I had to have my old account post restricted, and removed the email address.  Then create a new account with your e-mail, and they'll transfer the posts.

rock.gif That's very strange. In other forums it can be changed by the mod(s). It should be possible here.

You can... sort of.

When I did it I had to have my old account post restricted, and removed the email address. Then create a new account with your e-mail, and they'll transfer the posts.

rock.gif That's very strange. In other forums it can be changed by the mod(s). It should be possible here.

Well, its not possible here. Its to do with the board software, some support it, but this one doesn't.

Say, about the "not reviving topic older then two months" rule:

What about making an exeption for a entertaining kind of topic, say OFP war stories, OFP funny pics, OFP combat photograpy (imagine that empty for two months crazy_o.gif ) and a Bug Report topic... topics like those can be "bumped" up after longer then two months without starting the apocalypse, right?

The rule applies if it was a "normal" discussion topic offcourse, or a poll...

Say, about the "not reviving topic older then two months" rule:

What about making an exeption for a entertaining kind of topic, say OFP war stories,  OFP funny pics, OFP combat photograpy (imagine  that empty for two months crazy_o.gif ) and a Bug Report topic...  topics like those can be "bumped" up after longer then two months without starting the apocalypse, right?

The rule applies if it was a "normal" discussion topic offcourse, or a poll...

I think the rules are very clear. We should leave it to the mods to decide what topics can be allowed to revived, but we should not try to do so with every topic which we think is entertaining.

If the situation occurs I think the best way is to start a new topic and in the first post you write that it's refering to some old thread and you post a link to it. That way you can continue the thread without actually reviving the old one (and because of the posted link the old one can still be found with the new thread)

What do the mods think about this?

edit;

fuck! Mods beat me to it mad_o.giftounge_o.gif

As long as the topic is some classic OFP-material like the OFP warstories and funny pics I see no problem with it.

But don't do this with every single old OFP-topic smile_o.gif

If you're unsure, then either ask a mod or do what Corporal Frostbite here say:"start a new topic and in the first post you write that it's refering to some old thread and you post a link to it".

I put this in (the origin is in the OFP photo discussion thread) as i would like to hear some moderators new inputs in public about this situation.

Just a thought about VBS screenshots.. Why are they allowed in the OFP CP thread? It's not Operation Flashpoint which this forum is about. It's not even a game but a training tool. Any discussion about VBS on the otherhand is forbidden.

I have no problems with them but it's strange.

At first i would have disagreed with statements like this, primarly because i like to see screenshots from both OFP and VBS1, but considering Llauma argument about allowing screens and forbidding discussion because VBS1 is not OFP, technically i can only totally agree because it sounds fair.

It has already been stated several times in this forum and in other ones (even VBS1 dedicaced) that VBS1 was not OFP.

And so, with that in mind, i don't understand why making screenshot of VBS1 (-that are a kind of advertisements for VBS1- even if it is not the purpose of the one sharing the screenshot) in this forum is allowed, while no discussion about VBS1 is allowed because it has been said VBS1 was not OFP.

Can we have more precision about this ?

Ah, ok that is more clear for me now, thanks.

So not all the VBS1 discussions are forbidden, that makes sense with the allowed screenshots situation now.

I should visit the other BI forum , as i visit usually only the Operation Flahspoint ones smile_o.gif

i didn't know this policy some hours ago and was also thinking that all VBS related comments are forbidden... then i checked this thread a 2nd time... biggrin_o.gif

I replied to Llauma's question so will paste it here as the conversation has been transferred into here.....

VBS uses a modified/enhanced version of the Opf1 engine, Opf2 will use a modified/enhanced version of the Opf1 engine, thus VBS screenshots are a glimpse at the possible future look of Opf2, so I decided that in such a context we would allow VBS into these forums smile_o.gif

In that situation, can i suggest to move the VBS1 disucssion policy pinned in the BI General forum to the Operation Flashpoint General forum ?

Actually i am a bit ashamed, but before Raedor pointed me to this url , i had completely forgotten that such a BI General forum existed (as my bookmarks lead me directly to the Operation Flashpoint forums since years).

For a "sensible" subject as VBS1 , it should be a good idea to put it where it can't be missed.

Good idea but I think 5 pinned topics is more than enough for that forum. It's quite rare for someone to make the mistake of posting about VBS in general so we should be ok for now, either way I've added the info into General Discussion's "Forum Rules" smile_o.gif