Sign in to follow this  
feersum.endjinn

Finnish defence forces mod 1.0 released!

I must say, it is very nice.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that you can't hit anything with a full auto assault rifle unless your prone. You gave the recoil of a large caliber battle rifle to a small caliber assault rifle. Thats the only thing I see wrong.

I downloaded and tested it yesterday and I love it! The new sounds are great. New weapons and recoil settings and all that are wonderful. And the most important thing, the Finnish Defence Forces, kick ass. OFP has a totally new feeling to it. (Especially fighting russians is much more intense than with NATO forces  tounge_o.gif )

I downloaded and tested it yesterday and I love it! The new sounds are great. New weapons and recoil settings and all that are wonderful. And the most important thing, the Finnish Defence Forces, kick ass. OFP has a totally new feeling to it. (Especially fighting russians is much more intense than with NATO forces  tounge_o.gif )

Only yesterday? What kind of a Finn are you!? wink_o.gif

I downloaded and tested it yesterday and I love it! The new sounds are great. New weapons and recoil settings and all that are wonderful. And the most important thing, the Finnish Defence Forces, kick ass. OFP has a totally new feeling to it. (Especially fighting russians is much more intense than with NATO forces tounge_o.gif )

Maybe he just bought Resistance wow_o.gif Which gives us another reason to ask, what kind of OFP player are you? biggrin_o.gif

5.56x45mm(M16)/5.45x39mm(Ak74)/7.62x39mm(Ak47, RK62)

They're rather small when compared to a .308 Win(7.62x51mm).

Frankly, you don't hit anything firing 7.62x39 full-auto.

At least I didn't, recoil is too strong for sustained fire, only small burts could hit somewhere if fired from standing position. Pretty much waste of ammo beyond 30 meters.

I can hardly hit anything with bursts either. Anyway, its still to high.

I've seen Marines with M16s on the rifle range, and you can hardly see ANY recoil.(That somewhat neat shoulder moving effect, it was barely visible.)

I know well what the recoil of 7.62x39mm rounds is noticable. But that isn't really my point.

I just loaded three soldiers from West(XMS), East(Ak74), and an FDF Soldier(RK 62). I placed each the same distanc and the same spot from that hill on the Desert Island and fired one magazine from each.

Doing this test, I noticed that each weapon hit in the same spot, and therefore had the SAME recoil settings. And the whole point of this argument is that they are ALL(Assault Rifles) set too high.

When you fire a full-auto M14 or an HK G3, you see effects like that.

7.62x39 rifles have bigger recoil setting in fact, but the difference is not very big but should be noticable.

But full-auto is still useful on close range combat, especially in villages/cities. I don't think we should change this concept, but we will certainly tune recoild for next FDF version.

but we will certainly tune recoild for next FDF version.

Well that´s good to hear, while the high recoil is realistic for the player the AI often doesn´t hit anything with it.

Maybe he just bought Resistance  wow_o.gif Which gives us another reason to ask, what kind of OFP player are you? biggrin_o.gif

No I just got broadband about a month ago. And last week I realised that now I can download FDF-mod. wow_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

More news...

Maxim m09/21

After the Finnish Civil War of 1918, captured Russian water-cooled 7.62mm Maxims proved to be suitable heavy automatic weapons for the Finnish Army. A domestic version with a tripod instead of the Sokolov wheeled mount was therefore put into production in 1921 and it was designated Maxim m09-21. Later m09-32 model featured improvements such as a jacket for rapid snow cooling and recoil booster. Maxim machineguns were retained in service well into the 60s and 70s, finally being phased out by the KvKK m62 LMG.

maxim1.jpg

Click for a larger screenshot

Now there is no reason NOT to make that "Ryssän kauhu"-ofp conversion. biggrin_o.gif

Well, I have mixed feelings about toning down the recoil again. Maybe if it's possible to slightly reduce recoil for assault rifles chambered in 5.56 or a similar calibre, it would be okay, but I really would miss the current weapon handling feeling.

On the other hand, I still think that the finmod weapons are too low on damage. Thanks to the openess of the finmod .cpp, I was able to fiddle around a bit with the damage values. I changed it so that 7.62x51 and 7.62x54 rounds cause a damage of 11.3, while 5.56x45 and the soviet equivalent used in the ak74 cause a damage of 11.2. I then decided that 7.62x39 should do 11.1 and sidearms should do between 10 and 10.4.

Now you might be thinking why the rifle values are so close to each other. Well, I was trying to get to the point where death is caused with either one or two rounds. A damage of 11.1 will mostly kill in 2 shots, but has a fair chance to kill with 1 round sometimes. With the 11.2 damage, you will have an even chance of either 1 shot or 2 shot kills. With 11.3 again, you will have mostly kill with one hit, but still often have to hit a second time in order to score a kill.

I for one think that those values are perfectly balanced. In standard OFP they would be overkill, due to the way too good accuracy of the weapons. But with Finmods accuracy ruleset, the increased damage works out nicely and really adds to the realism feeling. It's hard to hit, but if you hit, the target will notice this. Machineguns finnally have a real pupose and can manage to mow down whole infantry squads if and suppress human players, as they know they will most likely die when hit. In standard OFP the damage of 8 is a joke and I have yet to see someone duck because of an m60 or pk.

I would really like these values to be used with the next release of finmod. I for one think that they are very believable.

smile_o.gif

you do realize that it would be retarded to give the 5.56nato a higher damage than the 7.62x39mm. I think the 7.62x39mm has something like 25-30% more impact energy than the 5.56

Also the 7.62x51/54 are wayy to close in terms of damage should be more

5.56mm rounds have proven to be much more lethal than 7.62x39 rounds, although they are indeed smaller. Well, size doesn't always matter.

The increased leathality comes from the small bullet spinning around and causing more havoc inside the body and furthermore the rounds are a lot faster.

5.56mm rounds have proven to be  much more lethal than 7.62x39 rounds, although they are indeed smaller. Well, size doesn't always matter.

The increased leathality comes from the small bullet spinning around and causing more havoc inside the body and furthermore the rounds are a lot faster.

Fragmentation only occurs if bullet velocity is still high enough when hitting target, and with newer weapons (like M4) having shorter barrels this doesn't happen nearly as often people think.

The 7.62x39mm doesn't have that good a performance.

Quote[/b] ]Well, I have mixed feelings about toning down the recoil again. Maybe if it's possible to slightly reduce recoil for assault rifles chambered in 5.56 or a similar calibre, it would be okay, but I really would miss the current weapon handling feeling.

On the other hand, I still think that the finmod weapons are too low on damage. Thanks to the openess of the finmod .cpp, I was able to fiddle around a bit with the damage values. I changed it so that 7.62x51 and 7.62x54 rounds cause a damage of 11.3, while 5.56x45 and the soviet equivalent used in the ak74 cause a damage of 11.2. I then decided that 7.62x39 should do 11.1 and sidearms should do between 10 and 10.4.

Now you might be thinking why the rifle values are so close to each other. Well, I was trying to get to the point where death is caused with either one or two rounds. A damage of 11.1 will mostly kill in 2 shots, but has a fair chance to kill with 1 round sometimes. With the 11.2 damage, you will have an even chance of either 1 shot or 2 shot kills. With 11.3 again, you will have mostly kill with one hit, but still often have to hit a second time in order to score a kill.

I for one think that those values are perfectly balanced. In standard OFP they would be overkill, due to the way too good accuracy of the weapons. But with Finmods accuracy ruleset, the increased damage works out nicely and really adds to the realism feeling. It's hard to hit, but if you hit, the target will notice this. Machineguns finnally have a real pupose and can manage to mow down whole infantry squads if and suppress human players, as they know they will most likely die when hit. In standard OFP the damage of 8 is a joke and I have yet to see someone duck because of an m60 or pk.

I would really like these values to be used with the next release of finmod. I for one think that they are very believable.

Sounds good to me.

More news...

L-39 AT Rifle

The 1930s trend was to build AT rifles to counter enemy armor, especially the lighter vehicles. Finland followed the suit and just before Winter War in late 1939 the 20mm L-39 AT rifle entered service. It proved to be excellent weapon in it's

class with semiautomatic operation, 10-round clip and capability to penetrate 20mm of armor in 60 degrees angle at a distance of 300 meters. This fearsome weapon

weighs 49kg and is 2,24 meters long, making it cumbersome like all other AT rifles. Needless to say it proved ineffective against late-war armor and in the summer battles

of 1944 it was modified to shoot down armored ground-attack planes. Curiously, it was retained as an anti-helicopter weapon until 1980s.

lahti1.jpg

Click for a larger screenshot

How powerful is it in OFP?

How many shots does it take to incapacitate a BMP, for example?

4-7 shots. If you shoot at the turret you'll be able to incapacitate it faster or even destroy the gun barrel.

Back to the good old times of first .50 cal addons......... squads of snipers taking out tank squads wink_o.gif

Thanks to OFP's hyper-realistic armor modelling, it is entirely possible to shoot anything with anything if you are just patient enough...

But anyway using L-39 against tanks will leave you dead or out of ammo since it takes much more shots against tanks.

APCs are quite hard to kill, but shooting to turret will soon kill the gunner/commander.