The Frenchman

Ofp moments in gameplay

Playing an FDF mission - me and two other special forces guys slowly patrolling towards a ridgel line.

Suddenly a figure appears over the ridge line 100 metres away facing right at us. I immediately get looz and lupus lying down and we stay still, well the patrol started to grow in size as it came over...

They are in a relaxed mode and continue walking slowly towards us... well we are hiding near a tree just waiting for them to pass.

About 100 metres away the officer starts to walk right at us.

It took 4 minutes from the time we saw them for them to be 20 metres away, just slowly walking towards us.

Well the 3 of us got ready to die, as 12 guys walked right up in front of us 5 metres away.... the officer saw us at a range of 5 metres and i let off 7 rounds into his chest ... the firefight lasted 2 and a half seconds and we killed 5 of them however how the hell they found us, incredibly random fluke.

It's always so striking moment when you're middle of a fire fight proning, seeking for target trough your sight. And then you absolutely have to rise your head and SNAP!

One bullet in to your head and you're dead.

I can't descripe that feeling... I am still amazed of that  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif No other game can produce it

I once got scared sh*tless in a black op mission. I'd just blown up a fuel station to distract some soldiers, and was hiding in a bush. Suddenly this shape starts moving through the bush towards me and i come face to face with a NV goggled soldier......turned out to be some reinforcements from a C130 para-drop.

I once got scared sh*tless in a black op mission. I'd just blown up a fuel station to distract some soldiers, and was hiding in a bush. Suddenly this shape starts moving through the bush towards me and i come face to face with a NV goggled soldier......turned out to be some reinforcements from a C130 para-drop.

Something like that happened to me, only it was an enemy that came ... i shot him... only to find he was a officer ... his "squad" mates weren't to happy with me ghostface.gif

It's always so striking moment when you're middle of a fire fight proning, seeking for target trough your sight. And then you absolutely have to rise your head and SNAP!

One bullet in to your head and you're dead.

I can't descripe that feeling... I am still amazed of that  wow_o.gif  wow_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif No other game can produce it

lol I HATE when that happens and also when tema members in your formation stand between you and the ennemy mad_o.gif

Hehehe yep....just as you're about to take the most incredible sniper shot in the universe, one of your buddies runs right in front of you crazy_o.gif

Happens to me all the time...and the rifle grenadiers in the I44 demo are always hitting me in the back with the M7 rock.gif

'"Oops, sorry sarge..."

Ah what the hell, might as well dig it up again tounge_o.gif

Playing MFCTI 1.16 Everon....had taken Montingnac and set up some defenses there.  For a few hours we held off disorganized Soviet attacks until they finally overran the town...so I headed back to base to round up some more troops and armor, and within ten minutes the Badass Brigade was headed back to Montingnac with 4 M-1A1s.

We roll in there with some metal playing on the old CD player, looking around angrily for those little AI bastards...sure enough there's a squad made up of mostly Spetznaz with a couple of snipers - no heavy AT weapons to speak of.  They're prone near the flag, and for just a second they stare at us with looks of disbelief (if AI could have looks of disbelief tounge_o.gif), then they jump up and decide to re-enact part of Monty Python's "French Taunter" scene....

Me:  "Ah-ha, there you are!  Mwahahahahaha!"  *selects Ma Deuce*

Them:  "RUN AWAY!!!!!  RUN AWAY!!!!!" crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Me:  "AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!"  *.50 cal thunders* (more maniacal laughter)

You had to have been there tounge_o.gif

I had a very fun game of desert ambush when i was playing and feeling very in the zone. suddenly there was a tank circling our fortress made out of rocks. I picked up a dead friends launcher and hit it in the nose then ran towards the ammo crates for another shot. The tank circled around to beat me to the punch. I quickly got a round and hid behind a rock as the tank started to come giving me no time to load it. Behind the rock i began loading the round. I peaked out from behind the rock just as the tank was coming my way and hit him in the nose to finish him off. So if you didn't learn anything from my story or if you're a noob, it takes two rpg shots to destroy a T 72.

Was playing CTI44 - Coop - Rus - Sarugao today. Team mate pops out of tank by accident, I fire DShK, unhappy teammate.

I then had to destroy the radio and retreat, which was also very nerve-racking as the American tanks and troops converged on the town. I accomplished all that after saving repeatedly (I don't think anyone could've succeeded with one life on that mssion)

I did, but man it wasn't easy. In that mission, Sleeping Beauties, we were handled very roughly by the Americans. Once the Abrams charged at us I knew our position was indefensible and believe me I was already ordering my squad to retreat even before the official orders came in. So when they do I have to go back to the HQ, destroy the radio and pick up up the documents, and run like hell out of there.

I was fired on by a Cobra's machine gun and took cover under a tree on the western side of the road leading north from Morton. The remenants of my squad (two men) were on the eastern side in the woods. U.S. troops cut the road in between us so we were cut off, and so resigned to my fate I went north traveling from forest to forest and using the map to give the rest of my squad a route to follow. They made contact with Americans at least three times and each time I expected them to be killed but I kept hearing them reporting "Got him!" or "Officer is history" and figure they must've been doing some terrible damage to the U.S. patrols. Ultimately though they ran into trouble in some woods near Figaro and I lost contact with them. so I was on my own.

During my trek north I ran into U.S. patrols twice. The first time I was in the woods and they walked right by me, so when they had their back turns I legged it. The second time I was in the open running between two sets of woods when I look right and all the sudden I see a U.S. squad approaching me. Quick as hell I ducked down in some bushes and they literally walked by -right- infront of me. It was close. Then when they were gone I legged it again, and ran into no further trouble and made it to Morton.

There's definately a thrill in surviving on your own, through stealth, in enemy territory. Navigating using only a map and compass. It's one of the things I love about special forces in OFP. I have a great story about a Spetznaz mission I participated in to kill a U.S. Army colonel (also in the Retaliation campaign) but I'll save that one for later.

I had a serious james bond moment a few days ago. I was mucking about on Everon with the FLK Harrier, and decided to see what i could do against a Mig 21.

Re-started in editor and stuck a mig down, then played the game. Was flying over some trees when the mig opens fire with a missile, so i break right and the missile misses by inches, the mig is now bearing down on me, so i stick the harrier into Vtol and try and land, next thing i know i've pressed x instead of s and the harrier has just completed a 180 in mid air and the mig has flown right passed it. (as in straight passed the wing tips during the 180). I then foolishly roll the harrier, and take off in normal flight mode, 2 minutes later the mig is behind me with it's guns blazing, i go for Stol this time, land the harrier very quickly, mig flies over, take off quickly again and have to dodge some trees very bond like eventually i catch up with the mig and shoot him down using a sidewinder

I was playing the 90s Crisis the other day. The third mission is really hard. You have to stop three waves of enemy tanks at a road block. Brings back memories of Alamo, except Alamo was far easier! The first wave consisted of about three T 55s and a T 72. My AT guys took them out, but one got shot. Oh well. The Second wave took us by storm. I fired a Carl Gustev, accidently killing three teammates with the tank (ugh!). The last one was shot by a tank. But we defeated the second wave. Now the third wave. I got a mine and ran down and hid in some bushes. Laid the mine and ran back to the fortress beside the road. Thankfully the ammo crates with AT missles were just outside the door. One tank blew up on the mine, and the last three T 72s congregated around the fortress. The rest of the mission consisted of waiting by a loophole for a tank to drive past. Some how they didn't trig that I was in there wink_o.gif . I shot two of them this way, then got another missle and blasted the third. Mission complete!

Playing on TJ' server against some friends a while back.

I was on the Russian side defending the factory in Western Nogova they were Delta Force attacking at night using Littlebirds.

From a sniping position outside the compound I killed the pilot and shot down one of the attacking Littlebirds with a single shot from my Dragunov at a range of ~200 m in the dark.

Much to the amazement of everyone playing :-) including myself.

Definitely my most satisfying OPF moment (of many) so far

Had a flashpoint moment a few days ago, was very boring, so I decided to play a FDF campaign mission. Started some kinda mission, were you (finnish Jaeger) have to seize Trosky together with the Yankees. So I ran to the village, there was suddenly machine gun fire and explosions everywhere. I saw bullets flying in front of me, just a meter away from me. But I couldn't see any Russian! So I hit the dirt, at the moment I was lying an American guy in front of me got hit by several bullets. Luckily he had a M-60, so I picked it up, and looked around me. The M2's were driving around, scanning for enemy's. There were still explosions everywhere, and I got pinned down behind a house because of MG fire. So I threw a hand grenade to the muzzle flash, at the moment the grenade exploded, I ran forward, spraying with my M-60. Two Ruski's dead.

A minute after that the commander decided that I had to go up the hill, to the castle (overloaded with enemies). So I thought, can't I get some guys with me? Ran with the other guys up hill, killing all the Ruski's around the castle. When the AI didn't got in the castle, I realised that I had to do it by myself. So I picked a PK (much better than M60) and crawled under the wall, into the castle.

Switched to third person, there were enemies everywhere, not in front of my PK's, but behind walls and other obstacles. Killed two guys, but the rest was to hard to kill. So I grabbed a few hand grenades, and threw them at the enemies. 10 hand grenades later, the castle was ours (no, mine).

Just had an OFP moment.

Flying a not-so-manouverable US fighter with no AA missiles left, I've been chasing a damaged MIG, trailing smoke from some successful earlier strafings, courtesy of my plane's cannon.

I've been playing cat and mouse with it for 5-6 minutes. The real world was just totally locked out of my mind, while I concentrated on hitting it again.

After flying in circles for so long, the MIG finally made a sharp turn about 1200 meters away and so did I. Working on lining up my cannon, I was sure this would be the MIG's last breath.

It crashed right into me. I was so concentrated on doing this that I litterally jumped out of my office chair.

I should place yellow and red EJECT stickers on my seat to warn everyone around. wow_o.gif

when you hear the click... and have that silence between you firing and that BMP 500 metres away you fired at.... wil it hit.... please.... *bullets start flying , team returns fire*

c mmon....

*smoke train gone , missle is nothing more then one pixel*

pleaaaa...

*flash*

...eh?

*BANG!*

WOOHOO!!!!

and the whole screen fills with "gj" again smile_o.gif

Happened on the forum night.

The mission: Rebels Without Cause.

The operatives: Llauma, Bals and Skul (yup, it was just us 3)

We were driving along to some place, when Bals, having recently ingested 4 beers, crashed into a sign post, completely dsetroying the car's ability to move (much like Llauma did earlier, after which, we shot the car! biggrin_o.gif).

So, we decided to run along on foot. We take a left turn onto a dirt side road... except for Bals, who keeps jogging along merrily. So we stand there, looking at Bals workin' them sexy thighs. biggrin_o.gif

I look at Llauma, then back to Bals and send him a message along the lines of: "Er... Bals?"

Unfortunately, I lost connection shortly after that, but the last thing I saw was Bals turning to face us.

Even though I never got to see what happened after that, it was funny as hell. It was like some kind of comedy show. It makes me laugh thinking about it. Bals just running along while me and Llauma stand there, watching him disappear over the horizon. biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

I was fooling around with the mission editor on the beach on BDM Saint David, and had a pretty full scale battle going. Some US tanks and troops holding a small coastal village while motorized russian infantry attacked with hind gunship support. I previewed the mission (playing as a US soldier) and ran to the ammo crate to grab a stinger, I took aim at the hind as it was hovering above and fired. The missile hit it right in the belly, and it slowly lost power and then came right down towards me! It was crash landing on me!  crazy_o.gif  As i saw it landing right on top of me at the last minute i screamed aloud, "OH SHIIIT!" - the gunship crash-landed and *CRUNCH* i was no more! Bummer. tounge_o.gif

OPFOR:

3x T-72 Platoons (12 Tanks)

3x Mechanized Infantry Squads (3 BMPS, Unknown # of Inf, Take 3 and multiply it by however many men can fit in a BMP)

2x Recon Teams (2 BRDM, 8 Soldiers)

Friendly:

2x M-60 Platoons (8 Tanks easily taken out)

2x M2a2 Bradleys (2 Vehicles easily taken out)

2x Squad (12 guys each, including mine)

2x Medics

Story (Point of View: American):

After the M60 platoons, m2a2s and the 1st infantry squad were taken out about .5 km down the road I set some mines outside of Lany in preperation for the enemy attack. I order all my men on top of a hill and we watch the fireworks from there. Only 4 Tanks get taken out meaning there are 8 or so left plus the BMPs. So I order all my men to Lipany except for my Carl Gustav guy who waits for them to get there and then fires a rocket into a T-72 and we run away.

So after about an hour of guerilla combat against the enemy we have finally taken the town. So I leave my men in the town and hop in a jeep and start driving towards Velka Ves (the direction the enemy came from). As im  going down the road 3 guys shoot up the jeep and kill me. I then realized I forgot that there was a 3 truck enemy support convoy. So after fighting for 1 hour and 9 minutes I end up getting killed by 3 Truck Drivers.

Casualties within my squad: 1 Died after T-72 hit him with SABOT; 2 Die after one of them shoots a rocket into the other one in a poor attempt to take out a T-72 with the whole crew inside dead. Note: Rocket also kills one of the medics who wasnt in my squad and the other medic is almost killed when Im forced to Satchel a tank near him.

I had to tell the story cuz I am really pissed off right about now.

I was playing as a Special Forces unit. Me and another unit (ai controlled) were attacking a squad of Russian Spetz-Natz who were providing protection for a meeting of high level enemy commanders in Larche, Malden.

We approached Larche from the East at dusk during a heavy thunderstorm. Intel informed me that there was another squad of Spetz-Natz in the forests in the hills to the West of Larche that were on the way to backup the squad in town. A friendly squad of Airborne Rangers were North of Larche and were expected to stop the Spetz-Natz in the hills.

As we approached the edge of town, I heard the whoop-whoop of a Blackhawk providing CAS to the rangers to the north. I also heard the ripping sound of a Shilka south of Larche, firing at the Blackhawk.

As I peered around the corner of a house, I see a BMP parked in the center of town with a few Spetz-Natz standing guard. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the Blackhawk had been shot down and crashed full speed into the house I was crouched behind, creating a tremendous explosion. I fully expected the usual "You are dead" routine.

Like Avon lady, I jumped out of my chair a few inches! I wish this game wasn't so freakin addictive!!

Time of day: 0900 hours

story: none

The mission I made was easy, three chinese infantry squads, supported by a tank

squad and one bomber where ordered to attack the town of Lipany, occupied by 3

infantry squads, two M2A2 Bradley's , four M60A3 tanks, and two M163 "Vulcans"

Anti Air Artillery (AAA) Systems. I was playing as a US soldier on the southern

end of the town. both sides where also affected by a script that enhanced the AI's

ability to attack or defend using cover, support other squads, give covering fire,

and an improved overall ability to keep each other alive.

The mission began, with me standing right in the middle of the town. I checked

the anti-air, wich opened fire immediatly at the plane flying over our heads, I

searched for cover, and looked at how the M163's where desporatly trying to rip

the plane apart. The plane began it's first straferun, diving straight into the

AAA fire, that proved a mistake, it got hit and crashed somewhere north of the

town.

In the distance I still saw two dots in the sky, bombs. One hit the M163, but

the surrounding cover prevented the schrapnel from tearing me apart, the second

one was still on it's way,but it flew by me, and I felt relieved for the split

second the bomb dissapeared from my sight and the second the bodies, tank parts,

pieces of ammo, and weapons flew fast. judging by the number of explosions and

screams, about half of our forces where killed or injured by the second bomb.

The enemy didn't gave us allot of time to recover, when I ran back I could hear

the enemy tanks already opening fire. Since holding the town had already proved

to be a miserable attempt, I ran for an AT launcher and some ammo, and tried to

entrench myself in a single house. leaving the brave few that lived to get crush-

ed by the advancing tanks, atleast untill I got supernatural powers and could call

in an acid rain or something.

The enemy infantry had a hard time. Even though some tried to use a tank for cover

most of them simply cought a bullet in the open field and died. When the infantry

was at 1/5'th of it's strenght the chinese finally gave in and retreated. Our troops

managed to "hit" two of the enemy tanks, but didn't to enough damage to disable any

features.

I came out of "hiding" , to replenish my ammo, and to see what was left after four

tanks and three infantry squads tried to take over our town, The ammount of people

left could be counted on one hand, two people where hiding behind a bus stop, some

where running from one house to another, and some others simply lied between the

corpses. and burning wrecks. I didn't even found a new anti-tankgrenade when the

enemy tanks started to supress our positions with tankshells. I had searched the

entire town in look for something that could be used against tanks, I didn't found

a single rock.

I ran back, keeping destroyed tanks or houses between me and the tankshells at any

time. I lost sight of a machine gunner, and half a minute later, when I heard an ex-

plosion I looked back just in time to see some parts and bits fly from the wall he

lied against. I didn't have the time to see how bad he was hit. I stumbled across

some anti-tank grenades on accident, and I took everything there was left: two AT-4

rockets.I was making my way to the frontline, and thought the bus stop would be a

good place to fire upon the tanks. When I came there, I saw the two soldiers where

gone, and a bit of blood and a crater had taken their place. Maybe not such a good

spot afterall.

I moved to a diffrent location, a small, two-story flat. And peeked

around the corner. The random shelling had stopped, and the tanks where advancing

on our location again. I equipped my AT launcher, and fired at one of the tanks that

was going straight for my location, It hit, and the tank bursted out in a ball of

sparks, None of the crewmembers jumped out. I reloaded, and looked again, to see one

of the other tanks aiming directly at me, We shot at thesame time, he lived, I didn't.

while in the deathcam I saw the tanks sweeping the main road that ran trough the village.

A bit of MG fire now and then, and after that, everything went silent... The Chinese

"Liberation army" had won. tounge_o.gif

Now that sounds like an intense experience! You actually saw the bombs coming down?! OFP...what a wild ride!

The ai script you mentioned sounds like something I would be interested in. Is it a common one or did you homebrew it? Would it be possible to get a copy of it?

Chopper fun...

So I was playing some coop crCTI the other day with a friend of mine, and I was killed out in the field and respawned at our base. Having been killed while locating the enemy base, I buy a few blackops and am pondering how I want to use my friend and his squad as cannon fodder while I sneak into the base and blow it up.

My thoughts are interrupted as he returns with the remnants of his squad in a Black Hawk - an AI is flying him around. I figure what the hell, I'll have him give me a lift to the base and he can attack like a madman while I do the real work. Me and my commandos jump in.

I sidechat him that we're ready to go, since the AI pilot is dutifuly hovering there, waiting for orders. My friend gives the pilot a waypoint and it looks like we're ready to roll, and the Black Hawk scoots forward a few feet without gaining altitude, stops, and then flies BACKWARDS at full speed into a forest, dragging its nose along the ground and then getitng stuck in among the trees.

I know from experience that no good can come of this, so I quickly eject myself and my commandos and run like hell to get clear of the impending explosion - my friend is still sitting in the back typing "WTF?!??!!!??!?" over and over again. I stop and turn around and watch the chopper throw itself around inside the forest for a good thirty seconds, then finally it explodes.

Needless to say we humans did the driving for the rest of the round.

However, it didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped...we tried this again but loaded up with regular troops to go retake Montingac, which was a more pressing need at the time. My friend thinks he's a badass and gets six jeeps with machineguns and forms a big convoy. I go airmobile and load some heavy infantry into another Black Hawk. I get to Montingac long before he does, retake it, and then leave my men on the ground and scout around in the air a bit. A crapload of Russians are coming.

I order my men to pull back to a clear spot near the town so I can extract them, as we have no friendlies in the area, and I try to warn off my friend and his jeeps, but he rolls in and within about thirty seconds all his jeeps are wrecks. I pull my men out and limp back to base in my badly shot-up Black Hawk. He respawns as I reach our base and I flare to a hover over a repair truck. I start repairing, but apparantly I clip the truck with the landing gear and the chopper starts bucking wildly...it lurches sideways into a stand of trees before I can regain control and explodes, killing the truck, my squad, and a whole shitload of friendlies who were in our base.

We decided to keep it on the ground from that point forward.

Now that sounds like an intense experience! You actually saw the bombs coming down?! OFP...what a wild ride!

The ai script you mentioned sounds like something I would be interested in. Is it a common one or did you homebrew it? Would it be possible to get a copy of it?

the PLA use new AI scripts, AI will try to spress you, snipers will actually work over longer distances, they are "roomclearing" for as far as OFP allows it, it's great! you have to experience it to believe it!

download me!

I created a short mission on Dek Seang using eight squads of JJR Vietnam soldiers, and one squad of VC(me). Mission was pretty simple, stop two of those squads from travelling up the road and reiforce the village, stop four coming from the opposite direction, and then clearing out the village some distance ahead.

But I hadn't realise that I screwed up the waypoint synchronization with trigger and ended up having eight squads of really mad JJR soldiers running at me. What happened is taht those in the village were set on SAFE and Guard, while the others on a simple move command. I guess those two remaining squads in the village heard the commotion I had with the first two squads and started moving in my direction.

So when I was beginning to work on the four squads heading in my direction, another two appeared out of nowhere on my left and started opening up! I lost four guys from the withering gun fire, and I only had six remaining!

I put up a good defense. The four squads I had to take out with the help of my machine gunner. We had killed about four of the first squad when a grenade smashed my medic and RPG. But what was left of that squad we were firing at were taken out by a well thrown grenade from my second. Another five were killed by another grenade, this time from my fifth. But the two surprise squads had cut both of them down in a crossfire from the bushes. My position was beginning to look rather weak.

So, in the end, it was just me and my machinegunner. We both were able to finish off two squads from a good hill top position. About twenty dead after a moment. They really began to open up at that point, grenades and machine guns smashing the area around me. My MG was taken out by a pistol bullet from an officer that ran up next to him and fired, while I was busy reloading. Thankfully he was killed by an enemy grenade.

But before I could put in the fresh clip another officer ran up to me and jammed the pistol right under my coolie and opened up. By by brain crazy_o.gif