The Frenchman

Ofp moments in gameplay

I have a couple of OFP moments myself.

I recently started working on a mission that involved two UH60's flying side by side at 23 feet, they land outside a russian base and drop off the troops. At the same time, a T72 roars out of the base and is like... 30 metres away from my face. The turret raised, and it fired. I heard an explosion behind me, and the Blackhawk I was just in had been hit. All I could think was, "holy..." when the T72 then aimed at us. Luckily, chalk 2 fired a Carl Gustav directly at it, and blew the git right into the stratosphere.

Another moment, was in a mission my friend made and let me try out. A convoy with two M1A1s, an M60 and a repair truck is driving down a road. The drive was really quite... boring, so I had "turned out" to get a better view. Suddenly, a rocket comes from the left and strikes the M60, destroying it. There was a bunch of AT soldiers not far off from the road. Not only did the AI panic, but *I* did too!

i´m with ofp since version 1.00, but yesterday i discovered a feature that never made it into my attention:

while i was playing around with the UA on tonal island and covering the enemy with some shells, i´ve been distrated by a strange thing while i was assigning a new aimpoint on the m-key map...

something near the border of the map was moving!

so i paid more attention to the objects on the map. finally i called in another arty strike and i realized: the map is interactive!

while a tree was falling b/c beeing hit by a mortar shell, the ingame map displayed its movement!

lol i´ve never seen this before. must be either a young feature or some kind of my ignorance tounge_o.gif

so after all i was pretty impressed. playing this game for years now and still discovering new stuff... priceless! smile_o.gif

I just had a funny moment in SP. I was playing in the editor, flying around in a DAP blasting some stuff. When I got out to inspect the damage, standing in front of the chopper, the AI gunner turned the minigun on me, instantly killing me! Then while I was dead, he got out and moved into the pilots seat and started the chopper again!

Maby he thort you where a very bad pilot and diddent want to whit you eny more.

STGN

i´m with ofp since version 1.00, but yesterday i discovered a feature that never made it into my attention:

while i was playing around with the UA on tonal island and covering the enemy with some shells, i´ve been distrated by a strange thing while i was assigning a new aimpoint on the m-key map...

something near the border of the map was moving!

so i paid more attention to the objects on the map. finally i called in another arty strike and i realized: the map is interactive!

while a tree was falling b/c beeing hit by a mortar shell, the ingame map displayed its movement!

lol i´ve never seen this before. must be either a young feature or some kind of my ignorance  tounge_o.gif

so after all i was pretty impressed. playing this game for years now and still discovering new stuff... priceless!  smile_o.gif

You are not alone pang, back in the day of 1.2, I was playing the single mission Heavy Metal. My tank was running over trees while I was looking at the map and I saw the trees move!

But that little tidbit is not why I am here, I am here to tell the story of my sacrifice. I was playing on The Citadel last saturday, we were playing a mission with BAS rangers in the desert. Everythign was going great, we killed the AT team, and out abrams destroyed th T-80's. All the sudden, two T-55's showed up and started shooting everyone. I Ran behind a rock, and then went right to flank the farthest tank. I had been smart enough to pick up a satchel at an ammo box, just for cases like this. I first fired a AT4 at the closest tank, it went through the tank, "Damn fire geometry," I muttered. I continued on my mission, reaching the other tank. Just as I was going to lay the satchel, the tank drove off. I started chasing it, but it got abou 100 meters ahead of me, then it stopped, went in to reverse, and started speeding towards me. The turret was turned the other way, so I knew I wasn't going to get shot, but even if I layed the charge in its path, I wouldn't have enough time to escape the blast. I made my choice, I layed the satchel in its path, and in less than a second later, the tank was at my feet, I detonated the satchel, sending me sky high. The tank flipped onto its side, exploded, and then fell back over. The others people on the server we grateful, I had taken on for the team. smile_o.gif

Sweep4.jpg

^ My body is behind the rock in the foreground, the T-55 is a burning wreck.

another OFP Johnny story, but from the other side. ghostface.gif

as usual, my day starts with PC booting up, check this forum and get some brain working by playing OFP. and when i do, i play 'Steal the car'.

today was somewhat different.

i was playing, and decided to go a bit ruthless, and started nading some commies instead of shooting them. when i turned around the corner, i noticed a commie standing near the house. so i naturaly aim for him, and was about to open fire, when evil Johnny sees me. To my surprise, he immediately walks backwards! and takes cover behind the nearest building.

here's a recreation of the moment. not taken at the moment, but to illustrate my point.

commie Johnny stands near the building and is reacting to several nades going off.

ofp_jcover1.jpg

and he discovers me, and takes cover by walking backwards!

ofp_jcover2.jpg

of course, i got him, but i never, in my 2 years of OFP experience see Johnny making such moves... wow_o.gif

He is growing, soon we may not be able to stop him at all! biggrin_o.gif

Johnny? His name is Johnny?

Aww, how cute! biggrin_o.gif

Soon, you'll be doing a stealth-only mission with Gastovski, and all of a sudden, Johnny will sneak up on you, and put a knife through the base of your skull.

(He's a ninja...)

Looks like I have had another "OFP moment"...

I was playing on the BAS Blackhawk mission (the one where you get to fly the blackhawks, not sit in the cargo) and all things had gone to plan. I had dropped the deltas off at the radio tower so they could sabotage it, and then I picked them up. I then dropped them off at the barracks and gave them covering fire from above at 2000 rounds per minute. I was then told to evac some Non-combatants that were about 500m away. So I go there, and a shilka, which was about 1000m started firing at me. Me being me, I got cocky and flew towards it, trying to take it out with the minigun. Suddenly, my armour was at 20% and my fuel was nill. I span towards the ground JUST OUTSIDE the village where the shilka was. Erk. I wasn't hurt badly in the crash, and the shilka was still a problem. I jumped out and told #2 to hold his position. Resorting to desperate measures, I chucked a few frag grenades at it. It blew up! I saved it just after that... so my survival is still at stake. But wow, I love having to survive after crashing. (All the other missions I've played involved the mission ending when you bail out/crash. Which leaves a sour taste in the mouth...)

This is getting wierder. for second day, OFP Evil Johnny is getting smarter. crazy_o.gif

I was, as usual, playing 'Steal the car', with INQ's HD weapon. i ran into a house after taking some enemies down, and was checking outside, when I realized that there is a foot step coming towards me. I turned around, and saw Evil Johnny walking up the stairs wow_o.gif  crazy_o.gif

I quickly shot him down, but i seldom saw OFP AI barge into building like this.....

and to add more goose bumps, before this one, I was killed by an Evil Johnny with Grenade launcher from 2nd floor of a building. ghostface.gif

ofp_johnny3.jpg

I was playing a custom mission. Two russian squads of airborne infantry versus four squads of canadians and two m113a1's in a small town. It was a quick make, and pretty simple.

Well, the Canadians were alerted by the boom of a grenade landing on top of one of their machine guns. The other team, coming from the East and down a hill were opening fire with everything. The two m113's were quickly destroyed, but not without a fight. The entire squad had been decimated by the withering gun fire.

All of my boys opened fire from a small hill to the south, machine guns blaring and AK74's at full auto. But the Canadians were soon to attention and concentrating on us and leaving the poor scattered squad two to rot under the fire of a 50.

Soon, my squad was being decimated from rifle grenades. I lost two riflemen nearby almost instantly, throwing them both back as a grenade dropped in between them. The blast wounded my medic, giving the Canucks a chance to let loose with the C6.

Of 9 men I started with, only four of us were left. Both machine guns were down, and the RPG's were too far away for my use.

Firing back, something caught my eye. Up out of the bush, my lucky #6 stood up and started running at the position. He had been hiding there for awhile, by the looks of it, and just now decided to join in.

The one Russian soldier stood against the paralysing enemy fire. Quickly, the had started running at the Canadians, braving the gunfire and machinegun bursts.

I was stunned as I saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a grenade, pulling the pin with his teeth and leaning back while in step. With one desperate throw, I watched as the black object moved against the blue horizon and smash into the small Canadian Group. I watched probobly an entire group all die from the deadly blast.

Alas, the poor soldier was killed just after he threw his grenade, a C9 catching up with his movements and tearing him down.

With this opening, I told my men to advance and attack the remaining foe. We had quickly seized the town a few minutes later. While small, the town gave us an important foothold in Everon and opened up a beach for our reserves to land.

It was fun.

i just tested SEB's DMS on Steal the car. as always, i'm running around, and i suddenly see 3 evil Johnnies aiming at me. i managed to take 1 down, but decided to not risk it and run into nearest building for shelter. I quickly ran upto second floor in hopes of getting away from enemy fire.

this works in most cases, except that this time, i forgot to clear the second floor before looking out the window. as soon as i entered the second floor, i looked outside, and started strafing to next room.

and there was another evil Johnnie there. and i did not see him. had my back completetly exposed and result was my death. sad_o.gif

I was, as usual, playing 'Steal the car', with INQ's HD weapon.
i just tested SEB's DMS on Steal the car.
i play 'Steal the car'.

Don't you play anything but Steal the car tounge_o.gif

lol. first mission i play to get warmed up is Steal the car, and to test new rifles, i usually test it with Steal the car. maybe it's that first OFP mission i ever played factor tounge_o.gif

I was playing that coop mission where you have to rescue the US hostages from Entre Deux, I think, with a buddy of mine...

He wasn't very good and rushed down into the town - all hell breaks loose.  I start picking people off with my trusty M16 and we manage to secure the town.  We get ready for the assault on the Soviet base, and he jumps in a tractor to get there quicker - he barely makes it out of the town before an entire squad goes prone in the road and lights him up from about 50 feet.  

I was following in our jeep and I bail out, putting the jeep between me and a 9-man Russian squad barely fifty feet from me - I'm lobbing grenades and taking headshots on the guys who stand up to dodge the frags.

Meanwhile, my buddy is a seagull and is screaming over the globalchat channel "where r u dood???"  He quits the game just as I walk over to the dead Russkies (I got em all!) to examine my Rambo handiwork.

We restart....

We take the town again, only this time a UAZ full of loons comes flying towards us and my genius partner busts out his LAW and puts a round into the side of the UAZ (as it zooms by him), incinerating himself and sending the burning, twisted wreckage flying through the air, straight at me....  crazy_o.gif  SPLAT wow_o.gif

Again, we restart...

We take the town and this time exercise a bit more caution heading for the base...we're running alongside the road and there are some pretty thick trees providing cover.  I've got the rifle grenade on the end of my M16, thinking that I'll blow away anyone I see at close range - well, I come out of this stand of trees looking eyeball to eyeball with a full squad of Russians - way too close to use that mortar.  I stop, backpedal, and manage to type "oh shit!" to alert my buddy before I'm gunned down.  

"What?" he asks, just as a machinegunner finds him.

D'oh tounge_o.gif

Good times, good times biggrin_o.gif

Well the most tense time i ever played OFP was acctauly a sp mission which i made where it was a vietnam style game like in We were soldiers. I had four hueys land and the men left the helos and get into their posistions to secure the area whiel the helos left to get more men. when i put the enemy soldiers i would of thought it would of been a quick fight which in ofp would normally go for about 5 mins the most. but the soldiers kept on comeing and then they acctauly surrounded me even though they all started out in one direction. the next wave of helos came in and two got shot down in the jungle while one was about 40 m's away. I started to freak out so i started to use all of my ammo cause they were getting in close as hell and firing crap loads of bullets. I thne grabbed a radio that was hooked up to the artillery and i called the rounds to come in with 5 different aiming points all around me. the rounds came in and blew up all around me while the enemy soldiers kept coming and shooting. i was out of ammo and too scared to get some ammo cause i didnt want ot die since this was the longest ofp mission i ever made. eventually in the end out of 96 american soldiers only 13 survied, and out of about 300 enemy soldiers all were dead, and this mission went on for about an hour and 15 minutes. This is acctauly the short verision of explaning of how it went cause if i sadi the full version you would be readding it for and hour and 15 mins. After that i earned a new respect for OFP and its possiblitys and tryed to create more missions like this.

most memorable moment in ofp for me is the beginning of mission "Counterattack" (in Resistance Campaign). You have just cleared and occupied a camp and as usual, you are scavenging for weapons because hey, this is the resistance campaign. Then from the corner of your eye you suddenly see waves of enemies rushing over the slopes of the hill. Hell, AI can be scarily realistic in OFP! It was nothing fancy SFX scripts stuff, just the sight of them rushing at me with such determination and grim faces. It combined the open feel of OFP's environments and the realism of units moving in that space. What was even better: I jumped into a machine gun and managed to mow the first wave down. The second wave however, by that time, had already split up, providing a case in point for AI's cleverness (I died a lot ...).

On a sidenote: What added to the tense atmosphere is that I myself had slipped away from work in the afternoon to go and play Resistance at home :O

I had a serious Johnny type moment, but this guy was english so it's a Clive moment, also he was number 10. (i was messin with bibmi's resistance royal marines pack)

This happened this morning when i was playin a custom mission on everon. I'd just gotten rid of some russian soldiers in that valley, y'know that long one with "Durray", and i was sending 2,3,4,5 and 6 to scout ahead. Suddenly 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 11 are killed by some snipers that must have been hiding. i take cover and order 12 to move to a house. Clive then legs it down the middle of the road, the snipers open up on him, all these bullets were flyng up behind him, he then starts firing and all i get is radio messages saying "i've got him" like 8 of them, clive then runs back to my position without a scratch on him, and the message "Clear" appears.

oh and i had a life saving johnny experience. i'm reloading to take out this russian, but he fires first, just as i'm expecting to die, johnny's body dives (y'know that combat run death sequence) in front of me and takes the bullet. i then shoot the russian.

I was reviewing a mission which included a crap load of armour...I couldn't handle all of them in a tank by myself, as a couple of heli's took out everyone else in my squad, so I hopped out, and began moving down RPG infantry to grap their launchers.

I routinely began taking out tanks and infantry as I came across them. It was inevitable that I'd eventually get hit by a stray bullet, and there was no med tent anywhere, so I had to be extra careful.

As I had aimed my RPG launcher at 1 of 2 T-90's, I heard footsteps behind me. I rotated and saw a machine gunner, aiming straight at me, as I was aiming my launcher at him. I swear to you, I saw him hesitate, and he didn't shoot at me. I figured that I would be dead anyway, so I took the shot, and blew him to kingdome come.

...and I survived. wink_o.gif

Anton

I was playing the single player level Ambush, which went uneventfully well until my squad reached the Houdan. Almost instantly when we were within 200 meters the squad's LAW soldier fell, and I saw others falling one by one to machinegun fire. I popped an officer who tried to run up to get a better shot at me and crawled up to the LAW soldier, ducking, running from cover to cover, and barely avoiding fire as the commies picked off the others first. When I got the man's last LAW, there were just two or three others left of our twelve man squad, and I didn't have a clear shot to the probably six or so enemy soldiers.

I knelt down, and fired the LAW at the machinegunners and grenadiers that had decimated us. It flew down and blew apart some of the remaining enemies and I used the distraction to run toward my squad leader, who was within 30 meters of the town and had somehow miraculously avoided death face-to-face with the enemy. We moved in and took out a few commies with our rifles, but as we entered the town, our other rifleman was mowed down by a machinegunner who had cleverly remained hidden. It did little good for him, as we both turned and wasted him.

My squad leader ran to stand in the middle of the north/south street in Houdan facing North. I heard what sounded like tank tracks, and grabbed an RPG launcher from a nearby soldier and ran into a North-facing house, RPG at the ready.

I heard them slow and pause, unloading troops. I sighted the RPG out of my clever house window hiding place at the street. Suddenly, I saw at least one T-72 and a BMP drive over the rise and break formation. I launched an RPG out the window. It smashed into the tread of the T-72, leaving it limping in circles. I reloaded and fired again, stopping it completely. Another T-72 showed up, supporting the BMP, and I had one RPG and the ammunition crates were over fifty yards away. I aimed carefully- It was a very tricky shot; I had one small chance to stop that T-72 before it blew my house to kingdom come.

My RPG sailed off, and arced right into the barrel of the T-72.

Just before the vehicles entered town, my squad leader made a run for the beach to the chopper, but I was quickly being surrounded as I held my ground. I decided to waste no time and ran for the ammo crates. Surely enough, the BMP was waiting nearby and and fired at me almost the whole duration of my run. I heard that sickening sound of the machinegun bullets hitting my body. I ducked behind the crate, badly wounded but still capable. I picked up some RPGs. I stood up, reloaded, and sighted. The BMP drove behind a house, but a Soviet machinegunner stood up and aimed right at me. I fired reflexively, nailing him with the RPG. I reloaded just as the BMP came around a house, and finished it. I got my rifle out just to see squads of infantry charging straight for me. I got into a shootout, and was hit by a rifle round.

I took out a couple of them, and when they fell back I sprinted behind a line of houses for the beach, with at least eight commies and a T-72 with a broken barrel trying to shoot me or run me down. I ran through the underbrush, zig-zagging until I lost them. I found my squad leader standing by the chopper still waiting. I ran the last few hundred yards without cover on the beach, and miraculously made it to the chopper where we boarded and were flown back home. If I'd had more time and squad members, I would have been able to finish off the T-72s and annihilate the surviving commies, but it was impossible due to the tragic ambush and killing of my entire squad except for myself and my squad leader.

Ambush was always my favorite map. When I only had the demo I kept playing that map for 3 months without getting sick of it. I came up with some clever ways to beat it, like running away in the beginning killing a RPG soldier running to Dourdan killing all the crews with a single RPG then stealing a T-72 and going on a rampage in Houdan or blowing up all the tanks in the end and holding the town. Great map I still love it.

Its the first game of the TNT World for Wales. We're playing Germany crazy_o.gif Highly respected and feared team, one of the favourites to qualify from my group; group 2. The first map is played on CTF Everon, this was our map pick, we chose it in order to limit the amount of flags they could take on us. The round starts with me and Tracer and Kerensky taking a jeep and heading for the valley north of Gravette. Just as we cross the valley I see a UAZ with Thunder and Greny hurtling towards us, they bail out in the trees, and show the signs of distorientation (spinning round wildly to get there bearings biggrin_o.gif ) I spot Greny, one shot G36 and hes down, Thunder quickly reacts to this and aims a burst in my direction, luckily the bullets fall short, and I am able to quickly dispatch him. We progress towards the German flag, with Tracer making kill after kill, as we continue to make steady progress, in the safe knowledge that Notorious has eyes on our flag, Beckbond is watching the beach and Taxman has the forrest in sight. I try to take the flag, but skillfull placing and better shooting by Demarco brings me down. For much of this round we are frustrated at not being able to make a flag cap. The round ends 0-0.

Next the German team picks La Riveriea, most of the game is contested in the middle of the map, with neither team making considerable headway, the performances of Erebos and Judge for team Germany stand out, had they not had such a good game we may have been able to make a cap. Again frustrated we are held to a 0-0 draw.

Now the deciding map, where the first flag scored wins, Beckbond (the welsh captain) and Erebos (German captain) decide that this map will be played on St Pierre. The greatest of all cqb ctf maps. The map starts with me and Beckbond heading for the beach bunker on bike and Kerensky making a dareing raid straight for the German flag, unfortunatley he is brought down almost immediatley. No progress is made untill suddenly Demarco and Thunder make progress down the middle of the map, Erebos takes our flag...quickly making my way out of spawn I manage to bring him down no more than 30ft from his own flag, Viper then skillfully aims at my muzzle flash and sends me back to respawn; Maverick then takes the German flag...20ft from the German pole..20ft from winning the game for Germany, but Beckbond manages to take both him and Viper down, giving him ample time to find a position in which to cover our stolen flag, Kerensky then makes a dash and manages to return our flag, although Thunder takes him out straight afterwards. I make progress up the left side, G36 full auto, take out Thunder and Demarco, Taxman goes into the German bunker, takes their flag, yet a nade thrown by Maverick brings him down. I then proceed to sneak up, steal the flag and leg it back to my own flag, Maverick gives pursuit but Noto brings him down with ones shot, Erebos fires wildly from the pub, hopeing for a lucky shot, but alas I was away, and I manage to score, bringing the game to an end. The final score is Wales 1-0 Germany.

I'd like to thank:

Wales:

[sBS] Taxman

[sBS] Kerensky

[sBS] Tracer

[MCY] Notorious

[MCY] Beckbond

Germany:

OSS

[MCY] Frantic

[MCY] Erebos

[MCY] Viper

[ARMY] Thunder

[DFA] Maverick

[MCY] Demarco

& any others whom I cannot remember now for perhaps the most thrilling CTF I've ever played.

To follow the TNT OFP World Cup visit this link http://www.tntleague.com/modules.php?name=worldcup

A looong time ago. The first time I played through the CWC campaign. without any hints or walkthroughs (not the Gold Edition, so I didn't have the Prima book either.)

I'd finally made it to "Red Dawn" the last mission and it had only cost me three keyboards ("Stupid ****ing game!!! *crunch*). I choose the direct route, load everybody into the 113, and drive straight out of the base on the north road.

I lead well enough to get through the first encounter without any casualties. Checking the map, I notice the road we're following will curve west and away from where I want us to go. "No problem," I mumble, "we'll just cut cross-country to this road near the coast and head straight for the SCUD."

I did not zoom in the map enough to see how close together the elevation lines were.

I turn right (driving in 3rd person view) and the track noses over the crest. Hmm. Looks a little steep.

Hmm, this thing's really picking up speed. Let's just tap the brakes... OK, let's MASH on the brakes... doesn't slow up down a bit.

OK, time to panic, woods ahead, let's just see if we can gently veer this way...

The thing rolls over on its side. Then top. The the other side. Then upright. Repeat. All the way down then mountainside where, miraculously, it slows and stops right side up on the road I had been trying to reach.

I couldn't believe it. My hand had been hovering over the ESC key ready to restart the mission, once I had witnessed the grisly *SPLAT!* or explosion once we reached terminal velocity. I don't even remember if I completed the mission that try, but if I hadn't been completely in love with the game up to that point, I was then.

I did a serious james bond impression earlier today. What happened was i was attackin a base full of russian vehicles and the like, i had 2 laws left, and this hind decided to come get me. I fire one law at the hind, hit it straight on the cockpit windows at the front. This made it sort of reverse in mid air, the crew ejected and the hind lands right in the middle of the base, blowing up a fuel station. This is turn blows up a bmp, which sets off a chain reaction right around the base. all these vehicles are blowing up killing all these men. Eventually after about 30 seconds of intense explosions, i run into the base to find just wrecks and bodies all over the place, all except for a small pedal bike. So i jump on that and ride off to home base.