The Frenchman

Ofp moments in gameplay

I had created a mission using resistance on Kolgojev. Where I was play testing as a tank commander attacking a town at night. I was turned out, ever since I played OFP I not once been killed by small arms or machine gun fire while turned out. So I was feeling smug knowing the only chance of being killed was by sabot, AT missiles, mines or FARS (at the time, in the mission). Well, I knew was out of range of these at the moment.

While advancing the tank, I soon came under what I thought was machine gun fire, the tell tale sign of ricochets bouncing off the tank. I was thinking at the time, isn't this game realistic. Most games properly wouldn't bother to set the AI to fire at the tank with bullets.

It was dark, so I didn't now who was shooting at me and really wasn't that concerned. That was until the Mission failure came up and I found out that my opponent was a BMP-2. The 30mm Cannon was what the ricochets were all about and one had penetrated by helmet and killed me. ( In real life, it would properly blown my head off.) Wow, was I surprized, I was dead, but the rest of the crew and tank were intact. So a word of warning for those who turn out to much. Don't lose your head. ghostface.gif

When I was testing WEP for my planes,I had the Corsair going 6000kph and at 13000 meters (maybe 16000) my plane and I exploded,it surprised me!

I will never forget playing MP with my friend and he stole an enemy UAZ and came driving back to our base to pick me up apparantly.All I saw was a speeding UAZ driving towards me,I automatically shot the driver ,and it rolled up to me ,I then Identified that it was my teammate and he left the server and hasn't played with me since,like I am a teamkiller.(and the fact that we know how long it takes to actually get in a game and get playing)

This is a long story, so I'll try to cut it down whenever possible.

I have three friends, one of whom has three computers. About every two months, my other two friends and myself go to his house for a mini-LAN party. One of our favorite games to play is OFP. We each just so happened to own it.

Now, I said he only had three computers. I choose to bring my own. We get them all hooked up and then start to play.

One of the computers that my friend uses is terrible. I'm honestly surprised that it can run at all. That's the reason, however, why we play. That computer lags a little bit.

Running OFP Gold version 1.30, we usually play a map on Desert Island, where each of us gets a small "base" which consists of 3 AH-64s, 1 BRDM, 1 SCUD, 1 Jeep, a tent, a campfire, a few bunkers, and a machine gun. We then just screw around at random. Why? Because that's the kind of thing that OFP is suited for.

Now, one time, one of my friends went on a killing spree in his BRDM, randomly running us over as we hid in our camps. We'd try to take off in an Apache, but he would always see it and run us down. I jumped in my Jeep and tried to run away as quickly as possible.

He managed to catch me as I turned, and he slammed into me, sending the Jeep (and my body) flying into the ocean. Why does this happen? Tremendous lag on the lousy computer.

He almost suffocated because he was laughing so hard. He dubbed it "Jeep Bowling". We edited the map to include about 40 empty Jeeps in the center, and he would only touch them, and they'd fly about 200 yards into the ocean. At the time, I couldn't believe it. Once I figured out why it happens, that has simply become one of the first things I think about when somebody says "Flashpoint".

It was a "you had to be there experience", but seeing a BRDM hit a Jeep at 10 mph and send it flying the length of two football fields is completely priceless.

I remember when a hit from a LAW or RPG would send a jeep or UAZ to extraordinary heights.

It made Warthog launching look tame.

Then we used the satchel charges to send tractors miles, i remember i fired a tractor half way across malden, went to find it and it was on top of a building

I've induced a new farming method, take 3 satchels, place under tractor, blow it up, and you have a way of ploughing clouds.

Time for this to come back up to the top. Had an intense experience earlier.

I was creeping up on a few soldiers patrolling, when i hear tank tracks. Suddenly behind me 2 t-80s appear and are heading towards me. i get behind a bush praying they pass. They stop right next to my bush and the turrets start turning. I place 2 satchels right next them then leg it. BOOM i'm blown a few feet off the ground, injured but not killed. Unfortunately it was that moment the tanks blew up. End of mission.

The master of this thread has returned! blues.gif

It was during the Forum Nite and we began the mission Return to Eden. I was outloaded with the motar and we began to move up the hill. I decided to fire a motar at the church to make it easier.(TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOU GUYS, DAMNIT! crazy_o.gif ) The round began to drop. The round lands right on top of one of our squads. "Oh crap" I type....well, I'll let the picture describe what happened.

post-3-26016-speedyndwilco.JPG

(Resistance Track 3 plays)

first time i played the demo, i was in the small village when the russians engaged.

i saw the tanks coming and also a ural full of soldiers. the truck drove on the road, heading to the village. i searched cover in a bush east of the village and heared the truck coming closer.

the truck passed my bush and stopped. i was in total panic and - without visual contact - throwed a grenade in direction of the last noise.

scared and on my belly i tried to get back to the village. i found the truck and all soldiers where killed by my grenade, which hit the truck.

this was the moment when i decided: ofp is my game.

The master of this thread has returned! blues.gif

It was during the Forum Nite and we began the mission Return to Eden. I was outloaded with the motar and we began to move up the hill. I decided to fire a motar at the church to make it easier.(TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR YOU GUYS, DAMNIT! crazy_o.gif ) The round began to drop. The round lands right on top of one of our squads. "Oh crap" I type....well, I'll let the picture describe what happened.

biggrin_o.gif

When in some mission i got from the net where u were a Spetsnaz and you had to blow up yank fuel station and tank. I crouched to the tanks from behind and then blew it up.

When in some mission i got from the net where u were a Spetsnaz and you had to blow up yank fuel station and tank. I crouched to the tanks from behind and then blew it up.

No offense, but blowing up a fuel station while hiding behind some tanks doesn't seem like an amazing OFP experience... but that's just me! tounge_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

It's just the way OFP makes you feel so immersed, so that every such mission are an amazing OFP experience smile_o.gif

I like the rest have many great memories, like the first "huge mission" (big coop i made).. i almost cried at the end when we lost our blackhawk, we had it for hours and all over everon, came under fire and such.. it was our chopper, remeber me taking a printscreen of shar, at the crashed chopper.. feelings man ;)

but still have to say.. me, ugga, sole (i think), some others.. and shar again played on latha.. most people droped out, would it be connections, the bed or something else.. but me and shar we played on and on.. after 10 hours i got CTD (was the server), okey around 4 of those hours we didn't active play, but put our guys under a tree and got some sleep.. but 10 hours no restart just one game and not crash, has to be a ofp record ;)

EDIT.

OHH. have to add:

demo mission (no comment eveyone been there done that)

and the forest mission when you lost your squadmates and have to evac.. (same here, everyone has played.. you know the feeling)

Two pretty nice stories from recently...

First was in the PMC single mission "Search and Rescue" where you're looking for a pilot in Northern Malden.  I find a nice cozy place up on a mountain to stash my Blackhawk and divide my team in two, taking a medic, a machinegunner, and a Carl Gustav guy with me and leaving the rest of them to defend the bird.

The area we had to cover is pretty damn big and is patrolled by dozens of small Russian squads all set to "guard" or "sentry", so I set the guys into a staggered column and we move out, slowly and making maximum use of concealment.  Quite a few times we lay low in some trees as Russian squads go about their patrol routes at a distance and then we pick our way towards the crash site.

Well, the trick is finding the damn crash site, so we're walking around and trying to avoid contact, and I move us into one of those patches of weed-looking things that you'll find on Malden.  We go prone and take a timeout to check the map and plan our next move, only to have a Russian patrol walk right by this little hideout - there were six of them probably twenty feet away, and as luck would have it they decided to stand around for a few minutes.  I've told my team to hold fire and I'm trying to move my guys deeper into the cover - I can't understand how they haven't seen us because one or two of us were relatively exposed.

This Russian squad starts to walk away, and I think we can finally move, but sure enough they wander around a bit and come waltzing right back to our little hideout.

So for about ten minutes we're pinned there, nobody moving or making a sound, and the Russians finally decide to continue on their patrol route.  They walk off over a hill and we run like hell to get out of there.

That was tense...had a bead on the squad leader the whole time in case he looked my way, and had assigned all my other guys targets so we could get rid of them quickly if need be.

The other story is a WWII one....I set up a quick mission where US paratroopers and some Shermans attack a town, but there's really only one road in and thus one narrow lane to attack through.  Naturally I was liberal with mortars and MG42s, and even threw in a Panther for good luck.

Well, the attack kicks off and all our armor is destroyed within a minute and a half, and they've got our platoon pinned down behind cover like 400 meters from the town.  The Panther is blasting anybody who stands up, so most of the guys are just crawling around in circles...

So, feeling adventurous, I grab a pair of Hawkins mines and some extra Garand ammo and head off on a 5-minute flanking run through the hills over this town.  I slip into town from the rear - the direction nobody's looking - and run from building to building without getting spotted.  I low-crawl up behind the Panther, watching the turret the whole time with my heart pounding, plant my mines right behind the treads, and speed-crawl behind a rise.  I blow the mines, the crew bails out, and then the tank explodes.  Meanwhile, all the German infantry have no idea what the hell just happened, but the paratroopers have gotten to their feet and are moving on the town again.  I figure what the hell and start popping guys with my garand, and as the paratroopers start firing, the Germans fall back, so now i've got like a dozen guys all running my way without realizing where I am.  I bust out my .45 and start blasting guys as they run by - somehow nobody thought to shoot the paratrooper laying next to the destroyed tank - and one guy almost left bootprints on my face, but I blasted him with the pistol and was rewarded with a hearty THUD as he dropped right next to me.  

So the paratroopers finally get into the town to be greeted by me standing there next to the Panther with about a dozen German corpses all around me.  

So the paratroopers finally get into the town to be greeted by me standing there next to the Panther with about a dozen German corpses all around me.  

Sounds like something out of a Rambo movie! tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif

[Gareth Gates must die]

One of the best moments had to be the first time my friends and I linked up for a co-op game. So cool to watch a friend set up with a LAW while I lay down vehicle mines and then lay waste to a convoy.

Another great moment was when we were all driving around in a Bradley and suddent turned a corner to find a Russian checkpoint. My brother at the controls decided there wasn't time to stop, retreat, and plan an attack, so he just drove right through. The enemy UAZ with 2 people in it went flying.

There's always the first time someone aims the mortar straight up.

And of course, all the crazy escapes. Playing one mission, trying to escape in a jeep, pursued by T72s. My friend at the wheel. In our panicked driving, we put the car into a tree and have to go by foot. Figure we're done for. Tanks open fire, we both lose our legs. See a yellow sedan a short distance away and crawl to it. We somehow make it and drive off, weaving through tank fire, making it back to base. But we decide to avenge our legs when we see a helocopter at the base. We crawl into it, lift off, and track down the T72s. Great stuff.

I remember one of the best moments i ever had was in the original cwc campaign on the mission where you had to destroy all the soviet tanks at the base. Instead of just planting the charges, I stole one of the T80s as a gunner and let the driver get in. The rest of the soviets couldn't shoot at me as i blasted everything in the base. I even shot down the hind with the tank gun. Definitely one of the moments that remind me of how much freedom you get in your tactics.

The Retaliation campaign also has tons of exciting moments and escapes. There were too many moments where it seemed like it was you against an enormous enemy force, but i particularly remember the mission "Sleeping Beauties" where i took out a group of American black ops who were trying to attack my sentries, then using grenades to disable a landing UH60 and killing all the soldiers who got out. I encountered another American squad which i got rid of after a few tries. I then had to go into Morton, which had been overrun by American tanks, and collect my squad, which was amazingly still mostly intact.

I then had to destroy the radio and retreat, which was also very nerve-racking as the American tanks and troops converged on the town. I accomplished all that after saving repeatedly (I don't think anyone could've succeeded with one life on that mssion)

Some good stories in here! biggrin_o.gif

I'll add my bit to it: (it's long because it was crazy and involved) tounge_o.gif

I was testing a helo mission I'm making for BAS on Tonal Island. I landed my HH-60 on the edge of a firefight involving the Delta squad I was picking up against 2 armed UAZ's along with at least 2 squads of militia.

I hear bullets clinking off the hull but my gunner isn't firing! I think he's on cease fire so I hit fire again, then it says cease fire, so I hit fire again and the gun starts firing like crazy. This is happening while the Delta's are scrambling to get in the helo with bullets flying everywhere.

I see that most of the Delta's are in, the side minigun is still firing away and has been the whole time. (I'm watching from a right-hand side view while on the ground so I can watch incoming enemy troops) And then I notice the Delta's getting out of the helo! It was only damaged about half way and the engine was running so they shouldn't have got out.

I look from a different view and notice about 4 dead Delta's next to the left minigun. I take off due to militia members firing an RPG at me and luckily missing. As I'm flying, the gunner is still shooting! Even when I completely changed direction, constant fire... Then an A10 that was giving me air support during the pickup attacks me!

Somehow I get away from it, hit cease fire, look at my gunner and he's dead! He must have been dead the entire time, and when I hit fire again it killed the 4 Delta's!! He still showed up under my command the whole time though! crazy_o.gif

Then I finally get back to the airbase and they kill me when I get within range of the nearest Vulcan.

ghostface.gif

All I can say is that was intense, I had no idea what the hell happened, and it felt like a real battle!

biggrin_o.gif

Asmo

Well, I have not played multiplayer for a long, long time, but I remember one time when I was flying an AH-64(If my memory doesn't decieve me)

We were about... three or four players starting at the little peninsula on Malden. I think its name was "The malden war" or something very much like that. We were to fly to the mainland and destroy some tanks and stuff. So, we flew over the ocean and arrived at the mainland. So, we take out some targets and stuff together, then, if I remember correctly, I was hit by an AA missile, and I ejected. I reported that I had been shot down but was alive, but I guess no one cared/wanted to get me, I gave my position and all. So while all this is happening, I see Soviet troops head toward me. I got 'em all, but after some time, the server restarted. A bit Behind Enemy Lines-alike. I guess that's ONE best experiences.

By the way, do anyone here know any 1.96 servers that run coop missions? Perferably european servers, as I'm danish, and ping is an issue.

By the way, do anyone here know any 1.96 servers that run coop missions? Perferably european servers, as I'm danish, and ping is an issue.

CiA maybe?