Sign in to follow this  
m16a2m203

Iron sights

Make them look more realistic instead of a big black blur.

Make the 203 or 79 or whatever it is going to be in the game have a more realistic sight that actually works in a better fashion than the wag method.

Wag method?

You mean add sights with numbers on them, like the SVD.

So you can calculate, roughly where it will land.

Old terminology still in use in some backwater areas where I have been known to frequent.

WAG - Wild Ass Quess

And for those that spent a semester in college

SWAG - Scientific Wild Ass Quess

I think the iron sights could do with some touching up, so they look as good as the AA or VietCong sites...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Make the 203 or 79 or whatever it is going to be in the game have a more realistic sight that actually works in a better fashion than the wag method. <span id='postcolor'>

M203 isn't that hard when you use it after a while. You get some good SWAG's off it.

I think the sights are OK, but one thing that should be added, the option to use Irons even with a optical sight. if that goes, then using irons should be faster but less accurate.

Epita

I carried an M203 in the U.S. Army in the late 80's. Lemme tell ya... what you call the "WAG" method is the only way to do it. I tried relying on the flip-down sights on a qualification range and almost bolo'ed! Real-life is just like how it is in OFP with Grenade Launchers, right now. Guessing is the best and quickest method.

Check out the scene in "Hamburger Hill" where the NCO uses your WAG method while the F.N.G. fumbles with the flip-up sights on the M79.

-Uziyahu-IDF

http://www.idfsquad.com/

Also the animation of the soldier raising his gun to the shoulder would be neat, instead of having the sight turned on the moment you press V... smile_o.gif .

If they do put in a raising animation, I hope its not very long.  Half a sec or less would be about right IMO.

Yep, like the ones in BHD, they raize pretty fast, one of the few features well done in that game, the vc style ones wouldnt work because they dont put the sight close to the eye, something necessary in opf due to the long range shooting, bang smile_o.gif .

I think the iron sights could do with some touching up, so they look as good as the AA or VietCong sites...

VietCong ironsight definetly suck major ass, there must be some other way.

I vote for 3d modelled iron sights.

No point, its much better on system resources to model it, take a screenshot from the viewpoint of the gunner and then use that image as a template for a textured iron sight.

No point, its much better on system resources to model it, take a screenshot from the viewpoint of the gunner and then use that image as a template for a textured iron sight.

there is, because you'd see the sights bob a little when moving.

it might be just me, but i would like to be given the option to manipulate my iron sights while in the game....

maybe have a small area set up before playing a mission to get your riffle sighted in....or better yet have an option for "target range" on the opening interface...where you can choose from a drop down list every single gun or weapon that could be used....and have different shooting ranges. You could then set the sights how you want it and click save....and it will be saved in a file for all of the guns you have sighted in....

then in the game you can manipulate it depending on the distance and wind (if they decide to have wind affect bullets)

for those who don't want to fool with it they could have it auto sighted

there is, because you'd see the sights bob a little when moving.

Not unless the head/rifle moved, which they dont in ofp, not when able to put iron sights on anyway.

If you ever fire a gun though U'll notice that thesites are prety simila to flshpoint though because u are only focased on the ground ahead. If u notice it is bluredbecause ur not looking at it.

I wouldn't complain if these sites were replaced with 3D ones but i do think it is less realistic.

I would like if you can change the sights range on Granade launchers by zoom in an zoom out keys (instead of zooming), so the ironsight picture will change on M203 and the the muzzle will be differently elevated (to hit target at such a range) on GP-25 it would by only elevated...

Quote[/b] ]The grenade launcher assembled and ready for deployment: barrel and mount are attached to the main frame with grip and trigger. On the left side of mount one can see sighting scale: white marking are for direct fire; red markings are for curved trajectory. The front sight is of a pin type, adjustable for elevation. The side folding rear sight is of a "U"-notch type, non-adjustable. To set sights to any specific range, depress the knob located on the upper rib of sighting bracket and place an arrow against selected range marking. Firing on a curved trajectory, place an arrow against desired red marking. Once position of sighting pendulum coincides with position of the arrow, the range is set.

http://club.guns.ru/images/gp25/3.jpg

http://club.guns.ru/eng/gp25.html

Guess most folks here know how M203 ironsight works smile_o.gif

I almost forgot - to make it effective, use real muzzle velocities (71-76m/s).

Make them look more realistic instead of a big black blur.

Make the 203 or 79 or whatever it is going to be in the game have a more realistic sight that actually works in a better fashion than the wag method.

Maybe 3d Iron sight were the corners of the screen can a bit blurry or something because your eyes only focus on one point.

Personally I don't see the need to 3D model the iron sights & all it takes is practice to figure out the degree of 'WAG' needed at range. tounge_o.gif

I carried an M203 in the U.S. Army in the late 80's. Lemme tell ya... what you call the "WAG" method is the only way to do it. I tried relying on the flip-down sights on a qualification range and almost bolo'ed! Real-life is just like how it is in OFP with Grenade Launchers, right now. Guessing is the best and quickest method.

Check out the scene in "Hamburger Hill" where the NCO uses your WAG method while the F.N.G. fumbles with the flip-up sights on the M79.

-Uziyahu-IDF

http://www.idfsquad.com/

It's the same with russian GP-25. They come with iron sights but nobody uses them. In fact russian soldiers even dismantle the sights to lose some weight off the rifle. smile_o.gif

I hope you were cracking a good one there wow_o.gif

in VC the rear sight has no significance there and the weapon is like 2ft away from the player while looking through the sights.

It's the same with russian GP-25. They come with iron sights but nobody uses them. In fact russian soldiers even dismantle the sights to lose some weight off the rifle. smile_o.gif

It may be fun on 100m, but I found my accuracy greatly increased with GL by Earl and Suchey (well its a bit different method than adjusting sights, but when you have mark at angle (WAG?) you need do hit target on 250m, you have much better chance to hit it). I think they did great job painting markings exactly on specific ranges on sights. Of course, real muzzle velocity helps too, since in default OFP is bit decreased.

I would never dismantle the sights unless fighting in urban area. (Not that I don´t understand the benefits of light, short weapon).

True, that since I made my own M16M203 config (real mv), I was able to hit beacause I used parts of ironsights as marks (must train and than remember ranges and parts of sights) but I would realy realy like to have adjustable sights on GL.