Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Operation flashpoint 2

Yes I would like present armoury / equipment as well .

Both regular forces and Spec-ops biggrin.gif

Hopefully with a better feeling of urban combat , it is my only

gripe with OPF actually . As sometimes I found the controls to be alittle bit " wrong " when it came to CQC .

( I`m TOTALLY aware it is NOT a CQC..LMAO ) , but someone

wants to have the cake and eat it tounge.gif

Though OPF 2 is not confirmed so we don`t even now if the OPF 2 " site " is by BIS at all..or ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Though OPF 2 is not confirmed so we don`t even now if the OPF 2 " site " is by BIS at all..or ? <span id='postcolor'>We do know that Bis Owns that webpage, yes smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpeedyDonkey @ Mar. 30 2003,15:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Though OPF 2 is not confirmed so we don`t even now if the OPF 2 " site " is by BIS at all..or ? <span id='postcolor'>We do know that Bis Owns that webpage, yes smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Oh I didn`t know ( didn`t have time to read the entire post )

though it makes me feel better for sure biggrin.gif

Which would you guys prefer: An OFP that simulates a larger land mass, including cities (with no/few indoor environments) or small towns (maybe a bit bigger than we have now) with fully enterable buildings and clipping problems solved? Imagine you had to pick one or the other.

I'd perfer vietnam, new weapons and units. Jungle combat wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Mar. 30 2003,18:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I can say is I hope BIS do their best to make user addons backwards compatable...otherwise starting from scratch again will be a BIG headfuck!<span id='postcolor'>

I think they are taking that into account, they said they are working to make sure existing assets (addons) are still compatible with OFP2.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 30 2003,22:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which would you guys prefer: An OFP that simulates a larger land mass, including cities (with no/few indoor environments) or small towns (maybe a bit bigger than we have now) with fully enterable buildings and clipping problems solved? Imagine you had to pick one or the other.<span id='postcolor'>

I would prefer clipping problems solved , more urban combat ,

and smaller Islands...NOT that I got a problem with the OPF

Islands but most of the time we don`t need all the space .

Though it is in the nature of the game and contribute to the unique atmosphere OPF has biggrin.gif

Why would you actually need smaller islands? The mission designers choose the area of their mission, having smaller islands means more missions in the same areas... this all makes no sense to me i'm afraid confused.gif

Unless you mean for those who still get lost in OFP, I would suggest learning navigation smile.gif

Personally I think the bigger the better, BIS should be pushing for larger areas of play not smaller wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Mar. 30 2003,22:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif5--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Mar. 30 2003,18wow.gif5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I can say is I hope BIS do their best to make user addons backwards compatable...otherwise starting from scratch again will be a BIG headfuck!<span id='postcolor'>

I think they are taking that into account, they said they are working to make sure existing assets (addons) are still compatible with OFP2.<span id='postcolor'>

They said they will do their best. Which sort of reads as they will try, but no guarrantee. confused.gif

Guest jacobaby

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Mar. 31 2003,01:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Mar. 30 2003,22:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Mar. 30 2003,18wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I can say is I hope BIS do their best to make user addons backwards compatable...otherwise starting from scratch again will be a BIG headfuck!<span id='postcolor'>

I think they are taking that into account, they said they are working to make sure existing assets (addons) are still compatible with OFP2.<span id='postcolor'>

They said they will do their best. Which sort of reads as they will try, but no guarrantee.  <!--emo&confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It will depend on addon makers using the correct format in the scripting too I believe, going on what the comref hints at.

Bare in mind that many existing limitations that most addon makers complain about (e.g only one active door gun on choppers, tanks cannot support commander machine gun) were limitations on the original OFP engine.

Now BIS would be doing their best to overcome these limitations in the new OFP2 engine while at the same time providing backward compatability. In these cases I imagine if BIS had to choose between allowing backward compatability or overcoming the existing engine limitations I think they would rather render the old addons incompatible, and implement the new features in the engine.

This means addon makers can take advantage of the new features to update their addons for compability and they also have the opportunity of adding new features, eg Huey's with two door guns smile.gif

I know most addon makers would prefer to have an engine without these limitations rather than have the limitations preserved in order to keep compatability.

But surely an engine that could support two guns per vehicle would also allow you to have only one, right?

Yeah I don't know a lot about it but I'm just saying that it could pose a problem, for example if addons were originally constructed in a way that made these limitations and in OFP2 in order to have models that had no such limitations they had to totally change how they were made or their configuration.

Hey who knows BIS may have already gotten beyond this stage of developement and it's a nonissue smile.gif

I am just explaining a possible reason for why Marek said they would "try" to keep old addons compatable rather than simply saying they would do it.

Yeah, I can see the sense in all that. Hopefully it won't be too hard to update addons. I imagine that they are building objects for OFP2 in Oxygen, or some sort of updated version of it. So one has to think that there would be ways to update addons through Oxygen without too many problems. Hopefully the same would be true for islands. Scripting and functions might be a bit more difficult.

On the positive side of things I was amazed when the first addons (or retexturing) came out by users for OFP, and have been constantly impressed ever since. So if OFP2 doesn't have complete backwards compatability, I suspect it won't take too long before some bright sparks out there figure some ways around it. I've got a lot of faith in you guys smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Mar. 31 2003,04:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I imagine that they are building objects for OFP2 in Oxygen, or some sort of updated version of it.<span id='postcolor'>

and if they dont I'm sure if it is at all possible someone will

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Mar. 31 2003,01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why would you actually need smaller islands? The mission designers choose the area of their mission, having smaller islands means more missions in the same areas... this all makes no sense to me i'm afraid  confused.gif

Unless you mean for those who still get lost in OFP, I would suggest learning navigation smile.gif

Personally I think the bigger the better, BIS should be pushing for larger areas of play not smaller  wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

NO !! I don`t want smaller Islands it is just if I HAD to chose. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ArchangelSKT @ Mar. 31 2003,00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif2--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hellfish6 @ Mar. 30 2003,22wow.gif2)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Which would you guys prefer: An OFP that simulates a larger land mass, including cities (with no/few indoor environments) or small towns (maybe a bit bigger than we have now) with fully enterable buildings and clipping problems solved? Imagine you had to pick one or the other.<span id='postcolor'>

I would prefer clipping problems solved , more urban combat ,

and smaller Islands...NOT that I got a problem with the OPF

Islands but most of the time we don`t need all the space .

Though it is in the nature of the game and contribute to the unique atmosphere OPF has  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OFP is make to simulate big Island ! and that's very good I find ! I love this game for this big environement !

Vladimir

After playing Opf it's very hard to go back to games with small environments and "hidden" walls, I've been playing a bit of Vietcong but find it quite laughable when there's a clump of bushes stopping me from going somewhere biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 31 2003,19:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After playing Opf it's very hard to go back to games with small environments and "hidden" walls, I've been playing a bit of Vietcong but find it quite laughable when there's a clump of bushes stopping me from going somewhere  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I know exactly what you mean. I dusted off Return To Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honour: Allied Assault to get my World War II fix, and I was constantly bumping into shit that I couldnt blow up/go around/go over. And it made me totally mental. So I fired up OFP, went into the mission editor, dropped a bunch of vehicles and aircraft on Nogova and just flew around, drove around, boated to an island... generally explored. And what i love about OFP and why I have generally stopped playing most other FPS games is that I -can- go anywhere and do virtually anything. All I hope is that OFP2 takes this and builds on it, rather than buying into a smaller is easier mentality.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Mar. 31 2003,19:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All I hope is that OFP2 takes this and builds on it,<span id='postcolor'>

I would assume so, after all the large islands is perhaps the number one thing (along with the whole infantry AND vehicle thing) that sets it aside from all other games out there, and puts it at the no1 spot in the genre (by a long long way) smile.gif

Hm actually despite my previous post about modern equipment in OPF2 , I really wouldn`t mind if OPF2

would be a WWII shooter... wow.gif I can see the tigers coming

and I only got a rifle crazy.gif

Yeah I hate playing inside arenas and shooting at wooden objects with an rpg and having it not blow up.

If there was 1 thing I want in OFP2 is the ability to have alot of units fightng at once (over 500).

Ben

don`t the add-on makers keep back ups of their work in other formats??

Speaking of vietnam made me think that having some rivers running through OFP islands would be a cool,with shallow or narrow bits so ur men to get across,so u could have boats moving through the island rather than around them biggrin.gif

Since the first Flashpoint game was set in a fictious past of "what-if" then my bet would have to be the fictious past of "what-if" related around the Cuban Missile Crisis. Just a quess however. I mean really, a Russia/Czech war would not appeal to the average American (not trying to be arrogant, thats where alot of the $$$$ is) and doing a Nato intervention again would be lame. Really though, could you think of any other bigger "Flashpoint"?