Sign in to follow this  
soul_assassin

Red Hammer Studios

I think that it would be better to release the weapons as a single .pbo. The weapons pack will be a very popular addon. Most East addonmakers will probably want to use it to equip their units. But by releasing it in many seperate PBO's, it is a pain for everyone. The thing I hate most about Mailman's weapons pack is that it is ~30 files.

on the other hand.. seperate pbo's are easier to patch if a weapon needs to be patched, there is no need to download everything again, just the weapon that needs to be patched.

i agree with pfc_mike. it sucks, having every weapon from a pack ( !!! ) in a seperate pbo.

as for the update thing:

theres a programm to make update files... clickteam´s patchmaker

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The pack won't be released as a standalone addon. It will be released with different units.

<span id='postcolor'>

surely tha means its not a pak... more that its a bunch of seperate weapons people made to go with thier units.  confused.gif

I wonder what takes so long... the weapons are all converted from CS so whats the big deal?

Takes a few days to do.

Dont get me wrong i think its no bad idea to import weapons from CS if you contacted the maker.

But i dont think then you should not act like its all done by yourself...

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow NX @ 08 May 2003,19wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder what takes so long... the weapons are all converted from CS so whats the big deal?

Takes a few days to do.<span id='postcolor'>

They maybe conversions, but it takes a hell of a job to make a smart conversion with all correct LODs. And besides we are not talking about 5 -10 weapons here, more like 20-30 different versions (AK's I mean so far):

- AK47

- AK47SD

- AK47GP25

- AK47SDGP25

- AK47 + Bayonet

- AKS47

- AKS47 + Bayonet

- AKM

- AKM + Bayonet

- AKMS

- AKMSSD

- AK74

- AK74SD

- AK74GP25

- AK74SDGP25

- AK74 + Bayonet

- AKS74

- AK74M

- AKS74M

- AK74MSD

- AK74MGP25

- AK74MSDGP25

- AK74U

- AK74USD

- AK101

- AK102

- AK103

- AK104

so yes it is a big deal to us and we want to do it right.

Only base models were converted like one AK47 and one AK74 but all the diferent modifications were made and compiled ourselves.

Ok thats an point.

Only thing i dont like is i always hear RSS Weapon pack and never any credit to the original makers of the base versions.

"...you may include it in any custom model pack. as long as it is credited correctly to the authors..."

Ive had this conversation with others...I understand your concern but be assured the autors will be credited.

You have to understand that it is a RSS Weapon pack cuz they were converted by us, made operational by us, sounds by us, modifyed by us etc. model and textures are only half the job. Thats why it is not "bob's, alex's, mark' and others pack".

To make another point clear....there are only a handful editors that credit BIS in creating the OFP models which everyone edits...but no one says anything....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Soul_Assassin @ 08 May 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ive had this conversation with others...I understand your concern but be assured the autors will be credited.

You have to understand that it is a RSS Weapon pack cuz they were converted by us, made operational by us, sounds by us, modifyed by us etc. model and textures are only half the job. Thats why it is not "bob's, alex's, mark' and others pack".

To make another point clear....there are only a handful editors that credit BIS in creating the OFP models which everyone edits...but no one says anything....<span id='postcolor'>

Ok good point.

Then keep up the good work guys, the weapons are not the thing i wait for, but the Tank pack looks really great smile.gif

Speaking of the weapon pack here is a little update screenie:

weapon15.jpg

There are the new AK47 and AKM models as well as the AK74M with a new handquard.

Are the tanks imported from CS too?

wink.gif

j/k that's what I'm waiting for as well. Actually, I want the whole thing and I want it NOW!

biggrin.gif

Don't worry guys, credit where needed will be given. Some things we made ourselves, for example the wood on the AKM is by me, also the silencer, textures on the Ak74M, and some other things as well.

Please release it as a single pbo. 30 of them is f---ing insane! Think of all the duplicate .cpp coding.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Soul_Assassin @ 08 May 2003,19:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow NX @ 08 May 2003,19<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder what takes so long... the weapons are all converted from CS so whats the big deal?

Takes a few days to do.<span id='postcolor'>

They maybe conversions, but it takes a hell of a job to make a smart conversion with all correct LODs. And besides we are not talking about 5 -10 weapons here, more like 20-30 different versions (AK's I mean so far):

- AK47

- AK47SD

- AK47GP25

- AK47SDGP25

- AK47 + Bayonet

- AKS47

- AKS47 + Bayonet

- AKM

- AKM + Bayonet

- AKMS

- AKMSSD

- AK74

- AK74SD

- AK74GP25

- AK74SDGP25

- AK74 + Bayonet

- AKS74

- AK74M

- AKS74M

- AK74MSD

- AK74MGP25

- AK74MSDGP25

- AK74U

- AK74USD

- AK101

- AK102

- AK103

- AK104

so yes it is a big deal to us and we want to do it right.

Only base models were converted like one AK47 and one AK74 but all the diferent modifications were made and compiled ourselves.<span id='postcolor'>

Guys,

There is no AK74SD in real life! The 5.45 round of AK-74 is ill suited for sub-sonic conversion; that's why you only see Russian spetsnaz and recon put silencers on their old AKMs.

I realize that you have already made the model, but please don't put it into the pack for realism sake!

Peace,

DreDay

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ 09 May 2003,00:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Please release it as a single pbo. 30 of them is f---ing insane! Think of all the duplicate .cpp coding.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually releasing lots of smaller pbos is better than 1 big one. This is because the smaller cpps (which DON'T need to be duplicated - as they can easily inherit data from other cpps - the same way as practically every addon inherits its data from the game config.bin) are processed much faster than large ones. It also saves space on the file swap cache, as the smaller files can be passed through much quicker, without using all of it.

From experience - with the BAS units, and messing around with the SEB Nam Pack II, using smaller cpp's in seperate pbo's is much better for gameplay, speed of loading and ease of updating.

If you were to introduce a bug fix on the vehicles, then you would only have to replace or patch one smaller pbo, which would be much quicker and easier than doing a huge 100Mb+ pbo.

if its relesed as seperate .pbo's,thats gd for two things: a) the people hoo dnt want to have an ak74sd dnt have to, and b) thjne those ppl with loads of addons dnt have to add a single large pbo and only the weapons they want.

o and btw, if u dnt want to use the AK74sd DreDay, u dnt have to. crazy.gif i think it wold be kool. mebbe theyre special new bulets fro spetznatz in my missions. i dunno. If u want to comp[lain abt that kinda realism mebbe u sholdnt have bourt this game... i dnt think the russians evr did invade some islands caled the malden islands... wow.gif

well y doesnt evryone make the planes in OFP go Mach 2? cuz it would feel weird.

The original BMP is scaled wrongly...

Tarship troopers never existed but there are poeple stil releasing stuff...

im not trying to prove u wrond, we know there are only a few silenced AK's but for gameplay's sake we will release it. It is your choice to use it or not.

I thought the AK74su had fittings for silencers. And i dont understand why the AK74M/AK74 couldn't have the same. Afterall there are loads of different AK47/74 versions in use that never see surface due to secrecy and lack of mass producing. And please release a AK74 with silencer, we dont need uber realism we need gameplay. And also if you make a silenced version ad want to keep it fairly realistic make the sound a muffled version of the original, since i hear silencers on the AK series don't do all that much. In comparisson to the MPSD5 were you will only hear the "pluck pluck pluck" sound wich is the firing mechanism (i think, and so i have been told)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GoOB @ 09 May 2003,18:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I thought the AK74su had fittings for silencers. And i dont understand why the AK74M/AK74 couldn't have the same. Afterall there are loads of different AK47/74 versions in use that never see surface due to secrecy and lack of mass producing. And please release a AK74 with silencer, we dont need uber realism we need gameplay. And also if you make a silenced version ad want to keep it fairly realistic make the sound a muffled version of the original, since i hear silencers on the AK series don't do all that much. In comparisson to the MPSD5 were you will only hear the "pluck pluck pluck" sound wich is the firing mechanism (i think, and so i have been told)<span id='postcolor'>

But still the sound isn't that loud as in unsilenced version. And yes, AKSU was fitted with the silenced but we have Bizon remember ?

I also thought that the AK74/M can have silencers, I mean the AKS74U also has it, and it uses the exact same round. confused.gif We are still going to make silenced versions of the AK47/AKM, since those are more realistic to be silenced.

Oh and please people, stop complaining that the guns are imports, they actually look very good, and I have asked some of the original authors for permission already. Not to mention a LOT of the work has been done by ourselves, for example the LOD's, CPP (the cpp is huge), some textures, some model parts (such as the AKM hand guard), silencers, also model compiling (adding silencers, magazines, grenade launchers, etc). It's not that little work. Plus the VSS has largely been made by ourselves. smile.gif

I for one am pro conversions, if there are good models around use e'm. It makes the work go quicker while still maintaining high quality.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaztheducky @ 09 May 2003,23:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">is there gonna be a aks-74u(i always called it the ak-74su) sd version?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. The AKS74U is the proper name btw, not AK74SU.