Sign in to follow this  
dutchsoldier

New official unit !

First off note I said "if you have time on your hands make a BRDM2" so I did not whine about the camel.

Now, news,

There is a WWI mod http://members/lycos.nl/nomansland/

home of the SE5a and a fokker eindekker.

Next, the official name is Sopwith F.1 "camel" being an unofficial nickname.

3rd minor carp, the colors are slighly wrong AFAIK no F.1 ever had a red cowling, only Sopwith Pups from 2nd Aero RFC used a red nose.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pzvg @ Dec. 22 2002,00:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">3rd minor carp, the colors are slighly wrong AFAIK no F.1 ever had a red cowling, only Sopwith Pups from 2nd Aero RFC used a red nose.<span id='postcolor'>

Pic1.jpg

Cavanugh Flight Museum - Sopwith Camel

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Araon @ Dec. 21 2002,23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pzvg @ Dec. 22 2002,00:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">3rd minor carp, the colors are slighly wrong AFAIK no F.1 ever had a red cowling, only Sopwith Pups from 2nd Aero RFC used a red nose.<span id='postcolor'>

Pic1.jpg

Cavanugh Flight Museum - Sopwith Camel<span id='postcolor'>

Ohh, someone just got told tounge.gifxmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Araon @ Dec. 21 2002,23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pzvg @ Dec. 22 2002,00:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">3rd minor carp, the colors are slighly wrong AFAIK no F.1 ever had a red cowling, only Sopwith Pups from 2nd Aero RFC used a red nose.<span id='postcolor'>

Pic1.jpg

Cavanugh Flight Museum - Sopwith Camel<span id='postcolor'>

icon_lol.gif

Hahaha!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Acidcrash @ Dec. 22 2002,16:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Dec. 21 2002,21wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Am i the only one that ges my ass spanked by the MG's in that SP mission. I'll make my first run, go to turn around, and on the second run they blast the fart out of me. confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

no, they are lethal i agree, they get me within a minute of the first strafe<span id='postcolor'>

Don't get me wrong though, its nice to see em shoot at you while you're flying biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nagual @ Dec. 21 2002,12:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here is a mini-mission for this cool plane. MP, player vs player, simply made to enjoy the camel.

Fun Runners<span id='postcolor'>

Here is what happened the very first time I played the mission:

I got everyone into the truck and took off with it. I was driving for maybe 30 seconds, on the road, using 3rd Person view.

All of a sudden I hear an engine noise, and out of nowhere comes a Camel just a few feet off the ground and crashes into the back of the truck -- we're all dead. He never fired his guns that I could tell.

I guess when BIS worked on the AI in V1.90 to avoid in-flight collisions, they only considered other aircraft. biggrin.gif

I played the mission a few more times after that, always on the Resistance side. I love hearing the engine noise from a group of Camels appear from the distance, and then you see them swoop over the town. They don't seem to be very aggressive though, usually they don't attack until I fire on them at damage the plane, and I've also not been able to get the troops under my command to engage the aircraft with their rifles.

uh you guys arent thinkin bout a Fokker Dr1 anytime soon are ya?. . .like to have a classic WWI dogfight. Snoopy agasint  Barron von Richtofen aka The Red Barron.    w00t! great addon guys. . .you still NEVER cease to amaze me with your game and addons

and a note to the creators, programers, and all who helped to make and contribute to this game. .great job guys (and girls if there are any). . .and to anyone who wants to bitch and moan. .why cant it do this, wahy cant it do that, .. the one guy "what purpose does this serve in the game?" about the camel. . .to them i say FECK OFF. . .i love this game. .and EVERY addon ever made. .and as far as im concerned. .the sopwith camel is the best prop plane addon for the game yet!. . .

PS guys (and unoffical addon makers: id love to see a Dr1 fokker triplane. . .) wink.gif

Araon, nice try mate,

However considering that 90% of musuem pieces are wearing incorrect paint jobs, <I worked at Aberdeen, I know that first hand>

I'd rather you show DOCUMENTATION. tounge.gif

Cheers,

<It's still a nice bit of work>

The Camel was perhaps the best Allied fighter of WWI, successfully downing 1,924 aircraft in only 16 months of fighting. It was known for being extremely agile and for having a fast rate of climb, and perhaps most notably, the great Baron von Richthofen fell to the guns of a 209 Squadron RAF Camel flown by Canadian Roy Brown in 1918.

Roy Browns personal paint sceme featured the Red Cowling

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Quote (toadeater @ Dec. 21 2002,14:43)

What was the purpose of this? Is this the remnant of some kind of test? I hope it isn't the complete waste of time it appears to be.

Please fix the @#+*$^*(*%^!!! game's bugs and stop fooling around.

I don't think you are in a position to dictate what BIS (or any individual BIS employees) should or should not do with their time...

<span id='postcolor'>

Was I dictating to them? I asked a question. I find someone spending the time to make WW1 airplanes and bicycles in light of the current situation with the OFP engine a bit strange.

I mean, they could have put a turret on the BRDM2, or maybe a TOW launcher on the Humvee, or add a Russian heavy machine gun, or the countless other things we have actually been asking for and could use. But no, instead we got a bicycle and an obsolete airplane that doesn't fit into the OFP time period.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pzvg @ Dec. 22 2002,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KevBaz, interesting, source?<span id='postcolor'>

The Killer Camel

The Red Baron's Last Moments

At all paintings of Roy Brown's fight with Richthofen's Fokker is clearly visible red cowling on Camel.

And btw... my Camels are replicas and i can paint them as i want wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PiNs_Da_Smoka @ Dec. 21 2002,22:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Am i the only one that ges my ass spanked by the MG's in that SP mission. I'll make my first run, go to turn around, and on the second run they blast the fart out of me. confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I found out it worked to go in high, make a bombing dive and in that way to gain some speed. Then with the high speed you have achieved you run away while staying close to the ground and doing evasive maneuvers. At the first chance you dissapear behind a terrain object.

My main conclusion was that the easiest way to get killed is to be too slow.

xmas.gif Thx for the Xmas present BIS.... Lovely textures... That red cowling... is that the correct shade of red ? just joking.. wink.gif

Merry Xmas and Happy Gaming... xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Araon @ Dec. 22 2002,06:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (pzvg @ Dec. 22 2002,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KevBaz, interesting, source?<span id='postcolor'>

The Killer Camel

The Red Baron's Last Moments

At all paintings of Roy Brown's fight with Richthofen's Fokker is clearly visible red cowling on Camel.

And btw... my Camels are replicas and i can paint them as i want wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Off topic: Actually (despite what most people think), Captain Roy Brown didn't kill the red baron, but it was one of the soldiers in the ground (can't remember his name). Von Richthofen had a single bullet entry on his right side, wich could not have been made by Captain Roy Brown (for a bunch of reasons, but I can't remember most of them).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gonk @ Dec. 22 2002,14:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That red cowling... is that the correct shade of red ?  just joking.. wink.gif  <span id='postcolor'>

Dunno... compare it with this smile.gif

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Pic 5

Pic 6

Pic 7Pic 8

...and of course - Pic 9 wink.gif

Why should addon makers, official or not have to justisfy what they make and give out for free to anybody?

If you have a beef with an addon then by all means state it, but the onus should be on YOU, not the addon maker, to prove something should be different.

PS: great job Araon!

SelectThis

Hey your right it does match the Leggo version... biggrin.gif and they are never wrong. Very good add-on.. It makes my flare gun look like it was done by an amature... oh it was..hehe.

Fantstic Addon! Thank you Araon. It's a beauty. I love the cockpit. I can almost smell the wood! wink.gif

Dogfighting is hard, but aiming grenades out of the cockpit is even harder... Tremendous Fun, I say!

Cheers,

Cyrille

PS: A french Spad would be cool too wink.gif

Has anyone developped any good aiming tecniques?

I tried doing if with a 45 degree divebombing, and i did succeed in destroying the factory, but it took all of the first bombload and nearly all of the second.

Post your suggestions for aiming bombs.

Strip bombing. I can't really explain how I do this. It's just gotten into my motormemory. Using the speed and altitude and basic geometery I do quickly in my head, I can bomb targets. I saw just practice with it and the skill of bombing just sticks into you.

Dive bombing. How fun! biggrin.gif Using the same technique as with the A10 LGB it's great. I fly high to the target. And when I ge about 150-200m out of it, dive. As steep as you can go. Get your lineup with the target. And release! The bombs will hit very close, if not on the target.

And getting away from those MG's, thats simple. Get a nice angle up and shake your wings. When you lose too much speed, dive for a moment and do it again till your out of range. Also flying low helps, cuase once you get over a hill they can't target you anymore.

xmas.gif

well i flew half way landed then yomped to the factory and proceeded to get ontop of the factory from there took out a few troops with some nades, i then went and nicked a PK from a smokin corpse, and i returned to the roof again from their i was able to take out the 2 camels and the rest of the troops once the area was secure i went to the ammo box and grabed some satchels b4 laying them i drove all of the trucks right up to the factory so they were touching it, i then placed 4 satchels on the ground floor 3 more on the 1st florr and annother 3 on the roof, i also had enough satchels to put in each of the hangars, i located the snipers body took his rifle jumped into a uaz and drove to the hills with the houses from there i blew the satchels and watched the whole place go up! then i proceeded to that town which is "heavily guarded" and hid in the tree line, from there i used all 3 mags wasting as many troops as possible, once all ammo was spent i ditched the rifle jumped back into the UAZ and sped off to find my plane, i then located it but the landing wasnt great as it was resting on its props (lol) so i had no chice but to throw my last gren at it so the enemy forces couldnt get our technology wink.gif i also then took out all the wheels on the uaz and yomped home to victory ahh great fun

Backed by solid evidence <finally someone gets it> I concede the point, good show all.

Selectthis, If you make it the onus is on you, way it is, I don't have to prove a ford is reliable, ford does.