Maio

Arma 3: Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION

Apologies in advance if I'm telling you something that you already know (just trying to help :-)...

This is related to the ARMA series in general as they all use a similar control system...

Out of curiosity I've just started using the Xbox controller under the left hand (only cost £16) and re-mapped all the controls...

With the Xbox controller layed flat on the desk...

I control the analogue stick with my middle finger (resting on top) leaving my index finger free for changing stance, weapons etc...

There's actually 4 progressive movement speeds (from creeping to sprinting) for the upright position, 4 speeds for the crouching position and 2 when prone (i never knew this) :-s

So you just push the stick (with one finger) in the direction you want to go, and the amount you push determines the speed (instead of tying three fingers into an elaborate plait)

So...

Xbox controller under left hand (movement)

Mouse in right hand (turning, aiming & firing)

Trackir on head (looking & leaning)

keyboard (other commands & functions)

Hopefully when ARMA 3 is released this method will work even better :-)

No more W,A,S,D for me

Try it :-)

Which is all good if you have a PC-compatible Xbox controller and TrackIR. I don't feel like going out and buying one of each and besides, I kinda like WASD and alt-freelook. Still, nice setup, probably simpler than this.

Regarding my suggestion for a better improved armor rating system:

T_90.png

Here is a picture that shows the armor layout of the T-90A's turret. As can be seen, the frontal arc is about 4-5 times the thickness of the side and rear plates... And that is without the additional Kontakt-5 ERA blocks...

With the Kontakt-5 ERA blocks, the frontal protection is even 7 times the effectiveness of the thin RHA plates at the side and rear...

I tried to apply this same armor layout for the T-90A addon in Arma 2 game, however the game engine won't let me. When I tried to edit the "Armor" level from 1000 to 5000,

it not only increased the front value, but for the flanks and rear as well. Since there is only ONE "Armor" value to edit, I can't make it any more specific.

And this is why we need better armor rating system in ArmA 3, please!

- Almost zero weapon dancing/shaking when walking slowly (aiming down the sights).

- Much less weapon dancing/shaking when walking quickly or normaly (aiming down the sights).

- Less intrusive comms menus.

- Faster imput response (keyboard).

- Better and more impressive sounds.

- Better transsition between anims (from on the move to stop & from stop or slow to Oscar Mike).

anyone with me on the idea of helmets working properly and making bullets riqochet when they hit the sides??

I hope all armor, (helmets,vests etc.) should stop bullets realistically. Bi did say they would make different gear offer varying amounts of protection, but that was along time ago and it seems the "confirmed features" list isnt really 100% confirmed so...

Since there are weapons that never made it like the commanche in Arma 3 how about a russian weapon and US tank that never made it such as the expeditionary tank and 1K17 Szhatie [bottom picture].

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmEV3E9uyZhZ1EUIH2vsjJ13S3U_u0w4RFUdY9uj-6dzIvYR9l

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqzjX9Z0wMJmhpEZ1-T0PkBYci0jsUr99K2KtDGOfdaDbh2Z-e

Edited by Meester

Would it be a nice idea to make a guide for Arma 3?

I like the idea very much!!

A physical sort of guide with detailed information on the new weapon system, vehicles, islands and background story would be a very good thing to do in my opinion. It could perhaps be made in a sort of "security reports" style and contain a collection of public and "classified" files in addition to the normal printed tutorials which explain the basic mechanics and how to play the game.

I hope at some point they take the bunch of suggestions for melee combat and finally implement it. Both non-lethal knockouts and lethal moves. Lethal being A: stealthy quick kill or B: fisticuffs/hitting with bayonet (they still use those and should keep using them)/using rifle stock.

I was wondering if bohemia interactive should make a co-op editor in witch you and your friends could edit the same mission. Me and my friend have been trying to make missions for our Unit in arma 2 but we don't know exactly what they want. so we figured if we had like a co-op editor mode it would make things a little easier...

My wishes:

Difficult:

1. Large-scale naval warfare with controllable destroyers etc. (hard to implement)

2. Stratis and Limnos on the same map (travellable area between) (even harder to implement)

Maybe difficult:

3. An effort by the community to make this game flourish with modding. As in, large scale 60+ vs 60+ player battles, as well as smaller scenarios of Team Deathmatch, CTF, King of the Hill, etc, all made possible by the community. I hope ARMA 3 can adapt and become BF3, COD, ARMA, OFP, and any other modern day shooter out there.

Edited by ruhtraeel

As I already stated more than a year ago: Please port it on Linux! Don't miss the train, BIS! W8 is a reason to do so. You could deliver a free linux parallel installation software (like many Linux distributions do) AND your game at the same time. BIS and Linux is one thought, it matches: Open, private data protective and creative!

The software can even run faster, like shown here with the game Left4dead.

Pres D, I don't believe it'd make things easier since a "two people can edit at once" editor could lead to conflicting mission building (as opposed to simply allowing the second player to place units as well), while a "one person edits but the second player can join into a preview session" may be difficult to set up to work correctly.

- Almost zero weapon dancing/shaking when walking slowly (aiming down the sights).

- Much less weapon dancing/shaking when walking quickly or normaly (aiming down the sights).

This, all of this!

As I brought up in the 'no discussion' thread, what I'd like to see is attachments not be artificially limited to a weapon category, especially when ARMA 3 is already doing a bunch of "for the sake of gameplay" stuff like weapons never jamming. :p

Obviously a pistol suppressor won't fit onto a rifle (unless it's somehow a pistol-caliber carbine or using a rifle suppressor on an AR pistol lol), and a pistol-length slide or "underbarrel rail-attached over-the-slide" optic rail may not be long enough to mount a magnified scope meant for rifles... What I'd like for the assault rifles and submachine guns to allow attaching magnified scopes above 4x (it seems that the scope in the E3 videos is basically an ACOG analogue), while both marksman rifles and pistols would be able to mount collimator/reflex sights (or at least marksman rifles mounting the assault rifles' combined 4x/collimator optic), and any of the above could be suppressed.

Before you accuse me of facilitating trickshooting (in the case of marksman rifles with red dot sights) or being too Battlefield 3-like, let me point out that it wouldn't make them a GM6 any more handling-wise suited for close quarters! :)

LINKS of proof that these ARE realistic (in the sense of "done in real life"):

The pistol on an above-the-slide rail is a real thing (the third pic is for a Glock-specific model), but so are pistol reflex

("first person ADS view" video). Likewise,

Is there a compressed list with all wishes compressed to one or two sentences as an overview?

No, unless someone is up to the task of doing it themselves, like the Confirmed Features thread.

I think the whole concept of the "The Community wishes & ideas- DISCUSSION" thread would be greatly improved if it could be at least subdivided into different categories ie AI, PhysX, Vehicles, Editor and so on.

I was wondering if bohemia interactive should make a co-op editor in witch you and your friends could edit the same mission. Me and my friend have been trying to make missions for our Unit in arma 2 but we don't know exactly what they want. so we figured if we had like a co-op editor mode it would make things a little easier...

Hey PresD, welcome the the forums.

This is a good idea and I'm sure it would solve a lot of headaches. In the meantime though you should check out MCC Sandbox if you haven't already. I think it might be similar to what you're asking for. Sort of like a "dungeon master" tool for Arma2.

My biggest wish:

An eventual 3D editor so people can have more tools at hand and be more precise at modding, which can give us quality fresh gameplay.

Cut the campaign or something, but the 3D editor can make up for it if people can make their own campaigns.

^ I agree with the 3D editor, as a big part of the community, but I have to disagree about cutting the campaign. Believe it or not, some people like arma´s SP aspect and it seems (as stated by interviews and so on) that BIS have been working pretty hard on the campaign this time.

Also how are the new custom reload animations impact modded weapons? Could the standard wave reload animation still be used for them or would the modder have to do such animation on his own?

Edited by lolipoyi

^ I agree with the 3D editor, as a big part of the community, but I have to disagree about cutting the campaign. Believe it or not, some people like arma´s SP aspect and it seems (as stated by interviews and so on) that BIS have been working pretty hard on the campaign this time.
Well, they do -- or at least did, who knows if it's still the same -- have a clear vision of the campaign's purpose, to act as an extended tutorial of sorts for the gameplay mechanics.
Also how are the new custom reload animations impact modded weapons? Could the standard wave reload animation still be used for them or would the modder have to do such animation on his own?
I would imagine that there'd be standard animations for if the custom/modded weapon has a conventionally placed magazine (forward of the trigger) or whether it's a bullpup, though no idea whether the engine could actually detect this or whether it'd simply be an animation option for the modder.

What if there were a trading system or something alike?

For example, if You're out of magazines or low on ammo, you can ask a friendly to give you a mag, or just to switch weapons with each other, instead of droping them to the ground.

What if there were a trading system or something alike?

For example, if You're out of magazines or low on ammo, you can ask a friendly to give you a mag, or just to switch weapons with each other, instead of droping them to the ground.

/agree

A way to trade with other players that is more direct than having our way with each others packs, or using the ground, would be most welcome. I saw some footage of the Arma 3 inventory system and it looks much improved but this would be a nice feature =)

Forgot to put this in this thread. I put it in the No Discussions thread a while ago.

A deeper(and optional) reload system. Also loose ammunition

Have 4 different types of reload and animations.

1. (By Pressing R Once - Magazine Not Empty - Long Reload) Soldier pulls out magazine from vest and does a tactical reload and replaces magazine in vest(Can be refilled with loose ammunition, magazine is in inventory for later use {Also +1 Round})

2. (By pressing R twice {or more} - Magazine Not Empty - Short Reload) Soldier drops magazine from weapon on to the ground and inserts new one (Used magazine does not go back into inventory {Also +1 Round} - In game object, can be picked up)

3. (By Pressing R Once - Magazine Empty - Long Reload) Soldier pulls out magazine from pouch and does a tac reload and replaces magazine in dump pouch - Uses bolt catch or racks bolt{Dependent on weapon} (Can be refilled with loose ammunition, empty magazine is in inventory for later use)

4. (By pressing R twice {or more} - Magazine Empty - Short Reload) Soldier drops magazine from weapon to the ground and inserts new one - Uses bolt catch or racks bolt {Dependent on weapon} (Used magazine does not go back into inventory/dump pouch - In game object, can be picked up)

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/35200

small, not really a mind blowing suggestion: please add speakers selection in game (headphones, stereo, 4.0 surround, 5.1 surround, 7.1 surround, dolby digital). Using 3d surround headphones, and in games, with selectable speakers through the game, i'm having really nice 3d surround, which do i miss in arma a lot.

:confused:

As far as I know, Arma2 already uses windows sound api's for surround. So you speaker configuration has to be set to surround, in the windows/soundcard config.

Or do you want to change that during a session?

Edited by ozzbik

I saw that there will be Helmet Cameras... So I thought maybe add players with Helm-Cam and record it, and in the Debrief or back at base, you can export it to your PC (each player can export) and see the combat or do an AAR using that, and also maybe do as they did in VBS2, that you can add cameras and also export from that footage and use it....