spanishsurfer

If A4 actually came to fruition, is it even necessary/possible for BIS to use a new modern engine?

I dream of an Arma as detailed and intuitive a Star Citizen with the action of Planetside 2/Battleground Europe. In reality though... Arma's future engine will likely still be just a few improvements over it's relative engine. I don't think we really need VR yet, because the Engine itself still needs a variety of improvements to bring it up to a level where full large scale sandbox experiences can be had. This includes things like the view distance limit needs to die, and be redone. Interaction menu... cough, TKOH interaction still better, Cough. I like the idea that wildlife could be a thing in the new Engine, ex. Wolves/Bears, imagine Arma 4, modern day Vietnam, fighting the CSAT PLA, but you have to infiltrate through jungle which have tigers. Could very well be a possibility. Although, it's comforting to see BI have fixed the Shadows protruding through objects, nearly. About time that feature made it.

Last I heard (2014) they were working on a new engine, based on the A3/DAYZ improvements to RV, and fusing that one with the engine they built to make Carrier Command. That info/rumour might be terribly outdated though. Right now its a very developed engine, only things it needs is improvements to vehicle systems simulation and AI. The rest is pretty much there already.

I think people are too hung up on the idea of a new engine. While it has some problems, RV does things no other game engine does. People criticize the Ai for being "stupid" but the ai have far more freedom than in most games.they have to navigate a massive and unforgiving terrain,move through houses,drive,fly,swim,shoot,avoid and place mines,have 9 different stances...

The RV engine is in my opinion an amazing engine, and the idea of throwing it out makes no sense. Of course it has problems-some of which are quite severe.But I think it should be modified and adapted instead of starting over from scratch.

• Like 2

When I say POSSIBILITY is there even a game engine out there that can do everything that the ARMA engine does BETTER? Massive draw distances, enormous maps, realistic bullet drop, ballistic penetration, manipulation of objects in the world, large player #s...

I would say the CIG CryEngine build is that engine. Definitely yes. yep-yep-yep

star_citizen_2016_notables.jpg

I would say, get a license to CryEngine. Call up Chris Roberts (because he's a nice guy) and see if they'd send over their engine build. Done deal! Never look back.

Whatever ArmA4 ends up being, it has to be up to this level of fidelity.

People keep suggesting commercial engines. Why? BI is a big enough company they can afford to create their own new engine, and we all know they have experience creating a large scale engine they need

People keep suggesting commercial engines. Why? BI is a big enough company they can afford to create their own new engine, and we all know they have experience creating a large scale engine they need

Yeah this. All that CryEngine hype already caused hundreds of topics here, going nowhere.

The most concerning to me is how the actual engine handles physics. I can't bear anymore a tank being stoped by a small rock.

I don't think they need to buy a new engine. BI just need to be loaned and given enough resources to unlock their dream project's true potential. I  think BI know what they want from their Engine, they've learned from Operation Flashpoint, to Arma 1, 2, TKOH, Arma 3, TKOM, and now DayZ. Their most successful titles are big, sandboxes with massive potential. IF they had the man power, and resources to overhaul their Engine to where they dream it should be, i can only assume it might be just as good as the ones running BF1, or Star Citizen, or GTAV, but in Bohemia's own special way.

I don't think they need to buy a new engine. BI just need to be loaned and given enough resources to unlock their dream project's true potential. I  think BI know what they want from their Engine, they've learned from Operation Flashpoint, to Arma 1, 2, TKOH, Arma 3, TKOM, and now DayZ. Their most successful titles are big, sandboxes with massive potential. IF they had the man power, and resources to overhaul their Engine to where they dream it should be, i can only assume it might be just as good as the ones running BF1, or Star Citizen, or GTAV, but in Bohemia's own special way.

They have more than 100 employees, they are capable of making an engine they want

They have more than 100 employees, they are capable of making an engine they want

Not alot when not all 100 employees specialize in Engine coding and such. Some are designers of different areas (graphic, art, concept, etc.), while others maybe specialize in web, or logistical tasks throughout the company. That's like saying 500 athletes can build a Gym. But each athlete specializes in their own area...

Not alot when not all 100 employees specialize in Engine coding and such. Some are designers of different areas (graphic, art, concept, etc.), while others maybe specialize in web, or logistical tasks throughout the company. That's like saying 500 athletes can build a Gym. But each athlete specializes in their own area...

Well, yeah, but I am sure more than a few of them are part of the engine team. I would argue a good percentage of their programmers are working on the new engine, and upgrading existing features in the current one to transition to the new one

It would be maybe cool if BI did like a little episode or mini series with in depth looks at Engine work. Maybe this could serve as some form of informational insight. Though to be fair i wasn't saying BI couldn't develop their Engine. I was saying that BI would need a substantially larger team to amplify that effort, which would bring a more robust engine and possibly title sooner than we have now.

• Like 1

Wouldn't that be something.To truly understand limitations.To know what is arhaic and what is causing issues.What is limiting factor.

That would make difference in the way of how people understand why things can't be done, and what it takes to fix it and

approximate how long would take to overhaul.

Almost like Tesla opening patents to accelerate advent of electric vehicles.

What would it take to build robust engines?Splitting engine into different categories

AI

Visual

Arhitecture (multithreading, parallelization, 64bit #on for phyX, rendering, algorithems)

Gameplay (interaction, animation)

All this on low level core.So breaking down to where it all starts causing everything to bug out as result but I would rather

wait 4 years to achieve part of this job rather then have next year another dlc with bolted in features with limitation because

of underlying outdated system.

While I'd love to see this kind of detailed documentation, it would be economical suicide for BI to give away all their knowledge and corporate secrets.

I binge-watched those Bugsmasher episodes and was in complete awe of Mark's talent. That dude can fix anything! (wizard)

• Like 1

^^^ Yup. Seriously Star Citizen is fuckin ambitious I cant help but cheer on this impossible dream. Just redownloaded (again) after a many month hiatus and to test out my new build (6600k@4.8/16gb 3200 ddram/gtx 1060) and boy does this puppy look and feel polished. Almost in a unreal way.

I don't see a commercial engine which can be used by ArmA. "A new engine", also if made by BIS, is a big thing at all. Years of pain, because 100 million things have been fixed, and 100s of millions are gone or different.

Everybody of us here is the first to say: "I cannot live without feature XY, give it back to us, you are evil".

What I can say about DayZ Standalone, I was impressed the framerates are stable or muuuuch higher in areas like Elektrozavodsk, and they have made every building enterable I think. So this is the "many 3d objects side". I don't know how it behaves on CPU with many simulations, I guess they don't do so many simulations in DayZ (I wouldn't).

I think I'd also be happy if they invest more manpower into the existing engine. I'd buy lazy DLCs to support them.

I binge-watched those Bugsmasher episodes and was in complete awe of Mark's talent. That dude can fix anything! (wizard)

Thanks, I love watching such stuff. That guy Stefano from Assetto Corsa also did do public and live coding sessions.

Economical suicide is not something I can see here. ArmA is such a beast, whatever you give away, everybody would decades away from rebuilding it.

BIS could do such a session indeed, good for linking with the community. Some format like: "Look, today we try to fix issue 3487364"... Honestly, BIS, do it, I guess MAAAAANY scriters and modders would be interested. Probably we'd also see that things are not easy to solve, but that's also good.

I WNATS IT. It does have to be a skilled coder then, BIS, please not always your frontstore video PR guy, who is pleasing for the gay or female players eyes... ;) I'm a bit tired of him.

I don't see a commercial engine which can be used by ArmA. "A new engine", also if made by BIS, is a big thing at all. Years of pain, because 100 million things have been fixed, and 100s of millions are gone or different.

Everybody of us here is the first to say: "I cannot live without feature XY, give it back to us, you are evil".

What I can say about DayZ Standalone, I was impressed the framerates are stable or muuuuch higher in areas like Elektrozavodsk, and they have made every building enterable I think. So this is the "many 3d objects side". I don't know how it behaves on CPU with many simulations, I guess they don't do so many simulations in DayZ (I wouldn't).

I think I'd also be happy if they invest more manpower into the existing engine. I'd buy lazy DLCs to support them.

Thanks, I love watching such stuff. That guy Stefano from Assetto Corsa also did do public and live coding sessions.

Economical suicide is not something I can see here. ArmA is such a beast, whatever you give away, everybody would decades away from rebuilding it.

BIS could do such a session indeed, good for linking with the community. Some format like: "Look, today we try to fix issue 3487364"... Honestly, BIS, do it, I guess MAAAAANY scriters and modders would be interested. Probably we'd also see that things are not easy to solve, but that's also good.

I WNATS IT. It does have to be a skilled coder then, BIS, please not always your frontstore video PR guy, who is pleasing for the gay or female players eyes... ;) I'm a bit tired of him.

they are already making a new engine for future bis titles called the enfusion engine which is being written from the ground up, so it will be fairly friendly to future and present computer hardware. currently the engine is being used on the testbed also known as "DayZ", so more then likely the game engine will take advantage of multicore cpu and help reduce CPU overhead with native DX 12 or better yet vulkan support.

[enfusion] used on the testbed also known as "DayZ", so more then likely the game engine will take advantage

Enfusion to be implanted into a future ArmA: Source please.

they are already making a new engine for future bis titles called the enfusion engine which is being written from the ground up, so it will be fairly friendly to future and present computer hardware. currently the engine is being used on the testbed also known as "DayZ", so more then likely the game engine will take advantage of multicore cpu and help reduce CPU overhead with native DX 12 or better yet vulkan support.

From what I've seen Enfusion IS RV4 with some tweaks.  Definitely not from the ground up, more like from the ceiling to the roof.

From what I've seen Enfusion IS RV4 with some tweaks.  Definitely not from the ground up, more like from the ceiling to the roof.

Dayz is the test bed for certain things... the real version of enfusion will be used in future arma titles. 

Enfusion to be implanted into a future ArmA: Source please.

use google you have it... you will find sources from the dev team...