My request is more for visual representation when you are outside the zone. if it is possible. 

It's pure f*****g frustration trying to create even a small particle effect, not really sure if i want to continue trying tbh.....I load up Arma for joy....not frustration.  :936:

That being said, here is what I have so far, let me know what you guys think..... 

When it comes to particle effects, I think the only (insane) person who actually enjoys making them is AliasCartoon! ^^

It's pure f*****g frustration trying to create even a small particle effect, not really sure if i want to continue trying tbh.....I load up Arma for joy....not frustration.  :936:

That being said, here is what I have so far, let me know what you guys think.....

I mean, it's nice to have some sort of visualization of the area from afar, but if it's too frustrating to implement, then I honestly don't want you to worry about it, cause I'm certain the first thing that people would want updated is that effect. Hopefully when the whole perimeter system is hashed out the player can be some distance from the area, but start to get the effects of the area gradually added so it gives the impression of "hey I'm close to a bad place" but they haven't arrived yet.

• Like 1

I mean, it's nice to have some sort of visualization of the area from afar, but if it's too frustrating to implement, then I honestly don't want you to worry about it, cause I'm certain the first thing that people would want updated is that effect. Hopefully when the whole perimeter system is hashed out the player can be some distance from the area, but start to get the effects of the area gradually added so it gives the impression of "hey I'm close to a bad place" but they haven't arrived yet.

Beside, radiations are invisible, so are bacteriological hazards... as far as gas like SARIN VX or SIENYTE (hope it spells like that) are like a white cloud of smoke... so I guess the "fog" effect is fine for me...

ps: (maybe I'm just over thinking here..but just in case)..

...note to FBI/CIA/HOMELAND SECURITY/SECRET SERVICES OF ANY COUNTRY: :P we're just gamers...we  are NOT affiliate to ANY terrorist organization, and we DO NOT support any kind of war or violence outside the video games.!!!

• Like 3

Thanks to Soolie and Zagor for taking the time to work on this UI for the detector, I will be implementing the following here as soon as I can!

• Like 2

Thanks to Soolie and Zagor for taking the time to work on this UI for the detector, I will be implementing the following here as soon as I can!

It looks so smooth, good job guys!!

:coop:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

It looks so smooth, good job guys!!

:coop:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

If I'm not wrong you chipped in on that..correct?

If I'm not wrong you chipped in on that..correct?

Maybe a little bit, but not much to mention. You guys made all of it   :thumb:

• Like 1

Alright, got the cold to warm to hot zone stuff working now as well, at least to the point where I can use it to continue with other features, the detector will now beep slower/faster depending on the perimeter level in which your player character is in. There are four levels of perimeter, each 25% larger than the "dead zone" radius before it, i.e., a 200m radius contaminated area would have perimeter zones at 250m, 300m, 350m , and 400m from dead zone center. I will probably add a "micro zone" when your're within 5m of the originating object, but only if there is an originating object (as you can use the module position as well, which in that case an absolute origin doesn't make sense). You will not be injured within the perimeter zones, only in the dead zone, which is the user defined radius of the contaminated area.

I can make this overly modular as well in the sense that the user can define how far out the detector can detect, then simply *insert math here* to create 'x' number of perimeter zones based on that input, just not right now, I want to get this out there in the public eye before I start to clamp down on this. But I think people will be happy with what is given, at least for a while.

• Like 4

Alright, got the cold to warm to hot zone stuff working now as well, at least to the point where I can use it to continue with other features, the detector will now beep slower/faster depending on the perimeter level in which your player character is in. There are four levels of perimeter, each 25% larger than the "dead zone" radius before it, i.e., a 200m radius contaminated area would have perimeter zones at 250m, 300m, 350m , and 400m from dead zone center. I will probably add a "micro zone" when your're within 5m of the originating object, but only if there is an originating object (as you can use the module position as well, which in that case an absolute origin doesn't make sense). You will not be injured within the perimeter zones, only in the dead zone, which is the user defined radius of the contaminated area.

I can make this overly modular as well in the sense that the user can define how far out the detector can detect, then simply *insert math here* to create 'x' number of perimeter zones based on that input, just not right now, I want to get this out there in the public eye before I start to clamp down on this. But I think people will be happy with what is given, at least for a while.

They had better be. I mean I haven't seen any mod or script as practical as this mod in arma series. I don't know if it gives trouble in mp, but in sp it is the best mod ever!

• Like 1

They had better be. I mean I haven't seen any mod or script as practical as this mod in arma series. I don't know if it gives trouble in mp, but in sp it is the best mod ever!

^^^THIS + 1 :yeahthat:

Its going to be MP compatible yeah?

MP compatibility is the intent, some features may only be in SP due to performance requirements. Half the time I have to go back to make sure it will work SP when I'm coding it for MP.

I've yet to test large scale MP with it, but I've gotten a couple friends to play with me here and there on my showcase mission (which is coming along nicely) and they haven't noticed any sort of frame drop with what I have currently (barring this most recent addition of the perimeters). Once I get this mod to basically a releasable "beta" stage I will probably get my unit to make a few missions with it, that way I can get 20-30 people on MP to stress and test it out, before I push public.

A lot of this mod is handled exclusivley on the client, which makes SP coding and MP coding overly simple. The diffculty comes when the server (which handles the information on the areas) has to update clients on connect or when new areas are added dynamically. The other difficulty I see as a future issue is overall security of the mod from an MP standpoint, lots of variables and functions that can be accessed from a client to inherently change gameplay overall, but I'm hoping it won't come to that, even if it did, I'm not really sure I would take too much action on it, at least not quickly.

@Ltf, most practical in the Arma series is going a little far no :p. I mean, this is my first big scale project I've worked on, and I've only been playing since the later days of A2. I'm sure there are some better, if not more practical mods out there. But I can see where the comment comes from, and it's appreciated :thumb:.

• Like 2

hi jshock,

good work, i've been looking for something like this

apologies if this is already covered but would it be possible to set the atmosphere to toxic by default and then define safezones instead? i ask this because i tried to do something similar to simulate a toxic atmosphere with oxygenated buildings (as in hab modules on another planet).

i was trying to adapt this script:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27918

which is the only other contamination zone kinda mod i've seen. it was the weekend so i can't really remember if it worked or not : /

hi jshock,

good work, i've been looking for something like this

apologies if this is already covered but would it be possible to set the atmosphere to toxic by default and then define safezones instead? i ask this because i tried to do something similar to simulate a toxic atmosphere with oxygenated buildings (as in hab modules on another planet).

i was trying to adapt this script:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=27918

which is the only other contamination zone kinda mod i've seen. it was the weekend so i can't really remember if it worked or not : /

I actually hadn't thought of that, but that should be easy to implement :D.

• Like 2

@Ltf, most practical in the Arma series is going a little far no :P. I mean, this is my first big scale project I've worked on, and I've only been playing since the later days of A2. I'm sure there are some better, if not more practical mods out there. But I can see where the comment comes from, and it's appreciated :thumb:.

I meant on its category. Otherwise comparing this to a medical system or something other wouldn't make sense. Still the best contamination area mod ever!

set the atmosphere to toxic by default and then define safezones instead

Both features done.  B)

Just make sure when you do this that the player is already loaded out (pre mission) with all required gear, or you have them start in a safe zone or else the players will have ~20secs before they die, lol.

• Like 6

I was working on something similar like 2 years ago (

check 1:34 min), I think a lot of players wants something like this so good job :)
  • Like 2

I was working on something similar like 2 years ago, I think a lot of players wants something like this so good job :)

Well, I want the gear for sure :p, but I actually like that the sound changes once your in the deadly hot zone, I'll see about doing something like that :).

But seriously if your're up for helping me with the gear itself and adding some diversity to what is there in the video, it would be awesome.

• Like 1

Well, I want the gear for sure :P, but I actually like that the sound changes once your in the deadly hot zone, I'll see about doing something like that :).

But seriously if your're up for helping me with the gear itself and adding some diversity to what is there in the video, it would be awesome.

^^^^THIS +1000000000..

Seriously dude...put a hand over your heart and feel my pain...now that I've see that gear..I'm gonna be sleepless until you kindly allow our master :P  to use it..PLEASEEEE???? :D  :D  :D  

kindly allow our master

What is this f*cking Lord of Rings now, lol (or Harry Potter whichever you prefer) in which case I can give you all rings and socks if that will make you all happy.

I forgot to update from last night, got the vehicles working now as well, so vehicles are now mobile safe zones :).

• Like 1

As I said I was working on it like 2 years ago, forgot about this, formated PC and lost all data rip :P I've posted it because we've used same sounds for detection.