duda123

Advanced Urban Rappelling

Seriously a fantastic mod. Really up there with ACE and enhance movement! Cannot play ARMA without it now.

• Like 2

Quick suggestion/Question. In the Advanced Tow Mod, when you attach rope to vehicle (in exile) you have to have rope in your inventory. When detaching rope, the rope is held in your hand, and is still there if you let go of it. I'm wondering if when you detach from Rappelling, if the rope cans stay there, allowing you to either climb back up later, or simply take the rope with you when you're done via. pulling it down? (or is this just something that some Exile servers configured themselves?)

(also one more constructive criticism, is if the descending could be a bit smoother? Right now it's sort of like a micro descending, looks like nudging down the rope, and it makes it look like it's laggy/buggy, even though it's not?)

• Like 1

Great Mod.

Would it be possible to make it so you can assign the movement keys to the addons config controls (dont know the official name) so people who dont use the "Sprint" key can still jump off the wall aswell as if people want to make it so other keys than the norm is possible.

also make it so you have to carry rope and carabiner in your inventory so not everyone can use it :) 

• Like 1

I really don't like the idea of forcing people to have to have certain items in their inventory.

The magic of this mod isn't only its sheer brilliance of implementation, it's also that it's so damn easy to use.

• Like 1

Preview of what's to come...

If you know how to use the script version, you can find it on the Grappling github branch.

• Like 11

Works great man.

I fought this idea for some time... so happy to see someone accomplished it. 

• Like 2

You mind reader you! I am sure the community is eager for this feature. Looking great.

Have you considered using a climbing animation for when unit is at the top of the rappel climb?

• Like 1

Wow-these are exciting times we are in :) Excellent mod-I found myself wandering around Tanoa just to rapel down cliff faces and buildings-all while kitted up in my SAS Iranian embassy gear of course ;)

d4itzHt.jpg

• Like 5

Works great man.

I fought this idea for some time... so happy to see someone accomplished it. 

Reminds me of the grappling hook in the Just Cause game.

What do you think about the realism vs arcade-like balance?

Should it support shooting the rope that high? Should the climbing speed be increased to match the rappelling speed?

Preview of what's to come...

If you know how to use the script version, you can find it on the Grappling github branch.

that's cute.. eagerly waiting for it. :D

Thats awesome!! It reminds me good old project reality times. Offtopic but i gotta ask that, do you guys know any terrain with steep mountains that i can use with this mod?

Thats awesome!! It reminds me good old project reality times. Offtopic but i gotta ask that, do you guys know any terrain with steep mountains that i can use with this mod

Kerama Islands has a lot of rocky outcrops and a neat hidden submarine base that could be rappelled into.

Reminds me of the grappling hook in the Just Cause game.

What do you think about the realism vs arcade-like balance?

Should it support shooting the rope that high? Should the climbing speed be increased to match the rappelling speed?

I don't think that structure was overly high. I think it would be interesting to say have a grappling hook gun as an item that could do the higher stuff and let the player "throw" the hook to say 2-3 stories high.

Not sure how far you want to go with it.

I definately think the up speed should be slower then the rappelling down speed. That's just my opinion though.

Someone model this man a hook for the end of this rope lol ;)

• Like 2

I'm personally not really enjoying a lot of these suggestions that:

A. Make Duda's mods harder to use

B. Turn a military sim into fantasy land

I think his stuff is perfect as it is. Why mess with a good thing?

Don't get me wrong, options are good. And it's his mod. I just don't get the appeal in making these less accessible or more arcade-y?

Hey I love this mod, but I've noticed there are conflictions with ACE3, The damage handler for roping (urban and helicopter) that prevents damage from collisions messes with ACE3's damage handlers preventing features like no insta death and other advanced damage handlers. Is there a way you could make it compatible with ACE3? I would love to use this mod with my mil sim buddies while still having acsess to ACE3's damage system.

Hey I love this mod, but I've noticed there are conflictions with ACE3, The damage handler for roping (urban and helicopter) that prevents damage from collisions messes with ACE3's damage handlers preventing features like no insta death and other advanced damage handlers. Is there a way you could make it compatible with ACE3? I would love to use this mod with my mil sim buddies while still having acsess to ACE3's damage system.

Can you please give an example? There are no damage handlers used in rappelling. The only time damage is disabled (temporarily for 2 seconds via allowDamage) is when you land on the ground.

• Like 1

Heya Duda. Was testing the Grappling branch. I really suggest turning off auto-detaching when ground is detected. It messes up climbing especially on sloped areas or non vertically perfect structures. eg:

288r4nc.jpg

In that area, climbing up using the rope would be perfect, however once the rope is attached, it is immediately detached most likely because of the slope. When i was able to find a spot where i was able to climb, because of the areas along the rock that seem "ground-like", i get auto-detached and promptly fall to my doom. Although it was kinda cool pretending the rope snapped :-p.

I hope you consider turning off auto-detach or at least have that as an option.

Heya Duda. Was testing the Grappling branch. I really suggest turning off auto-detaching when ground is detected. It messes up climbing especially on sloped areas or non vertically perfect structures. eg:

In that area, climbing up using the rope would be perfect, however once the rope is attached, it is immediately detached most likely because of the slope. When i was able to find a spot where i was able to climb, because of the areas along the rock that seem "ground-like", i get auto-detached and promptly fall to my doom. Although it was kinda cool pretending the rope snapped :-p.

I hope you consider turning off auto-detach or at least have that as an option.

I agree, I need to look into allowing players to walk with the rope still attached.

• Like 3

Duda is there a way that players don't drop laying after touching ground when rappelling ends? Its kinda a funny ya now :) Only asking :P

Can you please give an example? There are no damage handlers used in rappelling. The only time damage is disabled (temporarily for 2 seconds via allowDamage) is when you land on the ground.

Ah, after some further digging I found out that there was simply some misplaced parameters (that I did for my missions) that prevented the ace features. The mod is great! Thanks for helping so quickly!