Just add lines to the already existing ones! Like you said!

class YourSound
{
    sound[] = {"yourSound.wss", 1,1,1200};
    frequency = "your custom parameters";
    volume = "your custom parameters";
};

For example you can add a sound that is only played with extreme high speeds on planes or high Gs.

So all I have to do is chuck in my own custom version of your code box, and bam, its done? That seems way too easy... 

So for example, say I wanted to use a flyby sound, so naturally when a jet does a flyby the sound is a bit more direct unlike the distant jet growl.. so all I'd have to do it...

class Flyby1
{
    sound[] = {"yourSound.wss", 1,1,1200};
    frequency = "your custom parameters";
    volume = "your custom parameters";
};

And it'll work? 

Yes.

Problem though - "fly by" sound like this will not work from within the config, because as long as the parameters are met, the sound will be played in a loop, if I recall corrrectly. It will make no sense. :( So you are stuck with adding loop sounds. But it can sound great, like current sound mods show.

What sounds do you want to add, describe how you imagine them to work within the game.

Yes.

Problem though - "fly by" sound like this will not work from within the config, because as long as the parameters are met, the sound will be played in a loop, if I recall corrrectly. It will make no sense. :( So you are stuck with adding loop sounds. But it can sound great, like current sound mods show.

What sounds do you want to add, describe how you imagine them to work within the game.

Internal sounds are somewhat fine for now, however its mainly externals I want to get right, thus I'm hoping to achieve the following somehow.. 

Exterior ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2EadxDu5tA

1:30 - 2:05 - A takeoff 'Throttle up' kind of sound. So you can easily identify when the pilot is max throttle for takeoff. (Of which it then fades back into the distant sound once they're out of  the takeoff distance parameters)

8:36 - 8:43 - A taxi 'Throttle up' sound. So you can hear when the pilot is applying small amounts of power while taxing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QahIBLCOTnw

0:14 - 0:18 - Again, a taxi 'Throttle up' sound. So you can hear when the pilot is applying small amounts of power while taxing. 

Interior ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exLrZp_WqE

0:00 - 2:30 - As the video suggest, oxygen mask breathing. With the addition of VelocityIn (Which I've got as the airframe stress on High Gs) I'm also keen to add the breathing for standard and High G flight to add that little bit of immersion. 

Question ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Are you able to also tell me what the 'Forsage' and 'WindNoise' class names mean for vehicles? I have a general gist from the sounds I've put on them but I still have no clue what they're actually for.

From what I've been able to hear and see... 

class ForsageOut

class WindNoiseOut

class DistantPlaneOut 

All literally play the same sound (and yes I've got different sounds for each). I've had a look at some other sound mods with aircraft and the classes seem to be the same, or at least sound the same. However when in game you can only usually hear one of them. 

That's all I can think of for now :P

BTW look what I found in weapons.pbo -> config.cpp. Click.

Gotta head out, will look at your other post later. :)

• Like 1

BTW look what I found in weapons.pbo -> config.cpp. Click.

Gotta head out, will look at your other post later. :)

Holy shit I found it! I searched and searched and never found it until just then! Crikey that took way too long

Mega,

say ... You know about the problems with server spamming rpts about reloading and dry sounds missing for handheld weapons? I mean they are in the file and all there and working but as soon as a server is involved that is not running the (client side) mod it says that these sounds are missing.

Now would be the question of that's an broadcasting network issue or if we could work something out in the config...

Someone once said that a certain value for volume fixed some issues with these...

LJ

You know about the problems with server spamming rpts about reloading and dry sounds missing for handheld weapons?[...]

It's a bug/hack. Instead of sending "play YOUR reload sound" the game sends "play SOUND X". Going to be fixed soon.

• Like 1

Just for reference fellas this is what I have done so far. Naturally some of the sounds have been altered since I uploaded the video however overall its similar.

Of course feel free to give feedback etc, keen to hear from people with good audio knowledge. 

On Firewill F16C. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJc5pUFhFo

@Mega

30. How exactly does „cone“ for helos work? What do these numbers mean? cone[] = {3.14, 3.92, 2.0, 0.5};
{inside cone, outside cone, inside volume, volume outside}, angles are in radians, the base vector of the cone should be heading up in the space of the vehicle. More information can be found here: https://msdn.microso...3(v=vs.85).aspx

With these angels in radians, 3.14 being 179 degrees,

- is that 179 degrees in what direction? 

Man wish I could draw something on here.. so obviously 360 degrees being all around the aircraft, so how does 179 degrees work? Does that mean I can't hear it when I'm in the area of the missing 181 degrees? 

@Mega

With these angels in radians, 3.14 being 179 degrees,

- is that 179 degrees in what direction? 

Man wish I could draw something on here.. so obviously 360 degrees being all around the aircraft, so how does 179 degrees work? Does that mean I can't hear it when I'm in the area of the missing 181 degrees? 

Start paint and draw. :)

I believe the cone vector is attached to a specific part of the 3D vehicle model. I believe in arma they only exist on helicopters and they face DOWN. The only parameters we can change is the cone's "shape".

So for the above values it's like this.

I guess the sound linked there is the rotor sound. So imagine you are inside the 180° area (which is basically anywhere BELOW the chopper if it's hovering perfectly horizontal) the rotor sound amplitude will be doubled (that*s the 2 there). Then if you as a listener move towards the outer cone, the volume will decrease and anywhere outside the cone (to a minimum of 0.5 of the original value in config).

Makes sense?

• Like 1

Start paint and draw. :)

I believe the cone vector is attached to a specific part of the 3D vehicle model. I believe in arma they only exist on helicopters and they face DOWN. The only parameters we can change is the cone's "shape".

So for the above values it's like this.

I guess the sound linked there is the rotor sound. So imagine you are inside the 180° area (which is basically anywhere BELOW the chopper if it's hovering perfectly horizontal) the rotor sound amplitude will be doubled (that*s the 2 there). Then if you as a listener move towards the outer cone, the volume will decrease and anywhere outside the cone (to a minimum of 0.5 of the original value in config).

Makes sense?

So something like this? Obviously standing within the lines, and receiving the corresponding sound...?

Here

------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 

Is someone able to give me a detailed understanding of how the 'gmeterZ factor' works in the following. Currently trying to get some sounds into the jet which directly correspond with the G's of the aircraft (or however Arma calculates it)

"engineOn*(1-camPos)*((gmeterZ factor[0.0, 3.5]) + (gmeterZ factor[0.5, 1]))*((((-speed*3.6) max speed*3.6)/600) factor[(((-150) max 150)/600),(((-600) max 600)/600)])";

Cheers

So something like this? Obviously standing within the lines, and receiving the corresponding sound...?

Here

------------------------------------------------------------------

Question 

Is someone able to give me a detailed understanding of how the 'gmeterZ factor' works in the following. Currently trying to get some sounds into the jet which directly correspond with the G's of the aircraft (or however Arma calculates it)

"engineOn*(1-camPos)*((gmeterZ factor[0.0, 3.5]) + (gmeterZ factor[0.5, 1]))*((((-speed*3.6) max speed*3.6)/600) factor[(((-150) max 150)/600),(((-600) max 600)/600)])";

Cheers

Yep, like this. Only that the 180° does not "stop" where it stops in your picture, it goes on forever.

I would test it to be 100% sure where the inner and outer cones "meet" with some debug sounds (pink noise/a sine wave) but I dont have the time right now. Some important school related real life things are eating away at my day, today from 0900 until 1800.

Not sure about the gmeterZ. I'll ask around, also you can create a package of "debug sounds" and make them play in regions of 1 and test around. So that gmeterZ 0 is one sound, 1 is another, 2 is another, -1 is another etc.

• Like 1

I would greatly appreciate if someone would throw together a pack of commented configs for every sound related feature introduced in the last few months.

Is the way the config used in ArmA3 the same as it is used in ArmA2?

I would greatly appreciate if someone would throw together a pack of commented configs for every sound related feature introduced in the last few months.

I'm working on it myself. Ive been giving myself a crash course in C++ and referring to this game as I attempt to be autodidactic

• Like 1

Yep, like this. Only that the 180° does not "stop" where it stops in your picture, it goes on forever.

I would test it to be 100% sure where the inner and outer cones "meet" with some debug sounds (pink noise/a sine wave) but I dont have the time right now. Some important school related real life things are eating away at my day, today from 0900 until 1800.

Not sure about the gmeterZ. I'll ask around, also you can create a package of "debug sounds" and make them play in regions of 1 and test around. So that gmeterZ 0 is one sound, 1 is another, 2 is another, -1 is another etc.

haha, I hear you on that Mega. Just wait till you have kids woo boy, game over.

• Like 1

Wiki page will be filled soon with parameters of new config system explained. 

I think that is a much needed asset for sound modding. As my current problem is trying to find out what classes do what, how to change around the frequency, volume  and any little hints and tips as atm its all about

A) Having to test in game 24/7 

B) Spamming this thread with questions 

Glad its getting put into the Wiki though! 

I think I found a very efficient way to handle the additional workload that the new sound configuration brings, porting over DynaSound only took me not even three hours this way.

I'll try to set up an universal template soonish, my free time currently equals zero thanks to dual studies (Fulltime job + University combined, 6 days each week, yay)

Edit:

@tpm, nice to hear from you again, dude :)

• Like 1

Slow and steady guys. There is lot going on IRL but I will try my best and slowly fill this site with information. Feel free to ask questions.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Sound

To all the guys who update this, you're doing Gods work! 

Also just out of curiosity does any of that audio relate to the updated sound engine? Or is it all current sound engine stuff? 

To all the guys who update this, you're doing Gods work! 

Also just out of curiosity does any of that audio relate to the updated sound engine? Or is it all current sound engine stuff? 

It's mega who's doing all the work!

The biki he does features on the future sound configuration (which is avaiable on dev branch atm)

• Like 1

Hi guys, long time no see.  Me and Shazer are working on updating all our @RealSound mods we released last year and am starting things off with the F-16. Btw, speaking of F-16's, nice work on it so far Buck!  Been working on this update for some time, but really want to include the nozzle actuator feature when first throttling up for takeoff.  

Example/Source:  

I first took the audio and added that into the first few seconds of my "Afterburner"/ForsageOut sample.  It worked fine for testing, to see how well it fit, but not release worthy as you can hear the actuator at whatever fallout distance you have set for that sample.

I'm looking through this thread to find different ways of going about this, but I'm not a code junkie - so any help would be appreciated. 

Here's what I got so far;

class ActuatorSoundOut 
			{
				sound[] = {"USAF_F16\snd\new_ext\actuator.wss", 10, 0.99, 500};
				frequency = "1.0 min (rpm + 0.5)";
				volume = "engineOn*camPos*(thrust factor[0.3, 0.4])*(thrust factor[0.5, 0.3])";
			};

Hi guys, long time no see.  Me and Shazer are working on updating all our @RealSound mods we released last year and am starting things off with the F-16. Btw, speaking of F-16's, nice work on it so far Buck!  Been working on this update for some time, but really want to include the nozzle actuator feature when first throttling up for takeoff.  

Example/Source:  

I first took the audio and added that into the first few seconds of my "Afterburner"/ForsageOut sample.  It worked fine for testing, to see how well it fit, but not release worthy as you can hear the actuator at whatever fallout distance you have set for that sample.

I'm looking through this thread to find different ways of going about this, but I'm not a code junkie - so any help would be appreciated. 

Here's what I got so far;

class ActuatorSoundOut 
			{
				sound[] = {"USAF_F16\snd\new_ext\actuator.wss", 10, 0.99, 500};
				frequency = "1.0 min (rpm + 0.5)";
				volume = "engineOn*camPos*(thrust factor[0.3, 0.4])*(thrust factor[0.5, 0.3])";
			};

I can't imagine that being possible with only frequency and volume parameters. I would presume it has something to do with the model and nozzel radius rather than anything else which I can only see happening with scripts, unless there is some top secret classes or something. Then again I've only been sound modding for 4 weeks or something so who's knows haha. Will probably have to wait out until the new sound engine tbh, see what that has to offer. 

Anyway while I'm here I managed to finally upload V2 of my F16 sounds so I'll link it if anyone wants to have a good old gander. 

• Like 3