Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Pistols are still not showing in the holster...? is it that hard to do?

arma 3 has now been out for years lets say, and to this very date the pistols are still invisible in the holster.

its not game breaking and im sure i will live but its kinda over time poking and prodding me.

can BI not like put a standard pistol model in the holster for a placeholder?

would love a comment from a dev regarding this issue.

I really would like to see that too, but they have priorities ! They just delivered bipods, and they work on a lot of stuff. It's not really relevant if holsters are empty.

Edited by Guest

It's not just that though. If handgun appears in holster, taking it out needs to be properly animated. Also, I don't know much about holsters but large revolver like Zubr would probably need a custom one. Hopefully not.

Maybe they do it one day and sneak in switching weapons on the move while they are at it :)

To be honest I don't understand why they can't just do it like the rifle/launcher models appearing on your back via proxy. If someone could clarify that, that'd be greaaaat.

To be honest I don't understand why they can't just do it like the rifle/launcher models appearing on your back via proxy. If someone could clarify that, that'd be greaaaat.

Would look kind of weird though with a pistol floating 4 inches away from your thigh when you don't have a drop-leg holster (either wearing a different vest type, or no vest at all). Would look stranger than the rifle/launcher on your back does anyway...

Would look kind of weird though with a pistol floating 4 inches away from your thigh when you don't have a drop-leg holster (either wearing a different vest type, or no vest at all). Would look stranger than the rifle/launcher on your back does anyway...

Or some way of coding it so that if you holster a pistol holster appears?

Time spent on coding proper holsters, is time spent not fixing that game breaking bug or adding that feature, everyone has asked for since OFP.

There's lots of things to do with Arma 3, the most important is prioritizing.

Pistols do not have seperate bone (like rifle or launcher), the meshes are plugged into right hand socket. Unfortunately, a mesh cannot be dynamically replugged into another socket during gameplay (needs to be faked with another holstered variant of pistol model). While the issue seems trivial, it will require a lot of work with only visual benefit.

Pistols do not have seperate bone (like rifle or launcher), the meshes are plugged into right hand socket. Unfortunately, a mesh cannot be dynamically replugged into another socket during gameplay (needs to be faked with another holstered variant of pistol model). While the issue seems trivial, it will require a lot of work with only visual benefit.

Pistol should had a own separate bone in the first place , also being able to animate magazine directly in the animation instead via weapon model.cfg

i simply just wondered if there was a way of simply adding a pistol model to the holster for a placeholder if its too much work for visual purposes.

i mean im sure a pistol in a holster would look better than an empty one?

im just thinking out loud, like i said its not game breaking but rather a obvious hiccup

So the question is why even have a holster on your soldiers outfit if you aren't gonna have gun in it makes no sense and looks odd. Yes its not game breaking but if you weren't going to have pistols in the holsters then why didn't you just left them out of the game. Me personally never use pistols in the game because if i run out of ammo there is an dead enemy. I have wondered since alpha why there werent any pistols in the holster.

So it hasn't changed since Resistance ? Gosh...

Money grabing from DayZ SA Server licenses and u still have no manpower? God, worst excuse ever guys.

O........k

@Smookie.

Thanks for the answer. This is just purely out of interest, but is there any major benefit to have pistols set up in the right hand socket versus them having their own bone?

...but is there any major benefit to have pistols set up in the right hand socket versus them having their own bone?

Its probably more of a hang-over from when pistols were originally introduced (as part of the Resistance expansion to OFP), as they weren't a part of the original OFP engine. As such, it was probably easier (if a little hacky) to just slot them in the socket than it was to make them a new bone. I could be wrong though.

Its probably more of a hang-over from when pistols were originally introduced (as part of the Resistance expansion to OFP), as they weren't a part of the original OFP engine. As such, it was probably easier (if a little hacky) to just slot them in the socket than it was to make them a new bone. I could be wrong though.

Yes , but that doesn't mean that you will keep that the same way in the engine after 13 years :p

Yes , but that doesn't mean that you will keep it that the same way in the engine after 13 years :p

True, but as Smookie said it'd be "a lot of work with only visual benefit". I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see it fixed - on the contrtary I would. What I am saying is I'd rather BI prioritise the fixing of game-breaking bugs and introducing and perfecting cool new features such as #Bipods than a simple visual element like a sidearm showing in my holster...

If it was made a bone same way as the weapon and launcher, wouldn't the pistol always have to appear in the same place regardless of where they holster was located, since the movement of bones is defined in .rtm?

Things already go to shit if you move the launcher and weapon bone proxies in the example models and attempt to preview an animation on the model.

I get the impression it would need to be a system where the position of the pistol model can be alternated between two "sockets", more than making it a bone and tying the position to .rtm.

If it was made a bone same way as the weapon and launcher, wouldn't the pistol always have to appear in the same place regardless of where they holster was located, since the movement of bones is defined in .rtm?

That would be my interpretation of the situation. Which would mean every single holster would need to be in the exact same position. We then run into further issues with having sub-machineguns (eg MP5Ks) defined as pistols - they'd look weird in a drop-leg holster.

So, another ancient issue of the engine. ETA for a solution: years, five, maybe six. This shows why it's crucial to keep continously updating your technology.

So, another ancient issue of the engine. ETA for a solution: years, five, maybe six. This shows why it's crucial to keep continously updating your technology.

While it's a feature I'd love to see personally, you also have to remember they have priorities. Yes it is crucial to keep updating their tech. Which is what they are doing, but in terms of features to add/update, holstered pistols would be way down the list, even on my own.

Yeah, even if that's an old skeleton in RV engine's closet, it's certainly not a priority.

It's not an issue of the engine, and has nothing to do with outdated technology. A developer just told us the deal. It's something they haven't bothered implementing because it would be time and programmers diverted to something that is purely visual. That means something else in the game right now that you take for granted might not be there if they had decided to work on this instead. This has nothing to do with manpower or resources, no game studio in the world can implement absolutely every idea that comes down the pike. Everyone has to set priorities, and this was not deemed more important than other features we are enjoying in the game now.

Empty holster looks odd and people notice it. But is it more or less odd than the complete lack of holsters in A2CO, which I can't remember anyone complaining about? Hard to say.

What's bothered me since alpha is the decision to not include weapons held by troops in cargo of helis and ground vehicles.

A3:

709df8264032776.jpg

A2CO (CWR2):

d8409a177996472.jpg

d0f166167392122.jpg

d732b7211127670.jpg

BAF:

3790d3397506204.jpg

Empty holster looks odd and people notice it. But is it more or less odd than the complete lack of holsters in A2CO, which I can't remember anyone complaining about? Hard to say.

What's bothered me since alpha is the decision to not include weapons held by troops in cargo of helis and ground vehicles.

Yeah it was better with guns ,but BIS decided to remove guns because of clipping? or other issue? dunno

Here i got a old A3 beta pic with guns heh > http://i.imgur.com/3SZwNAc.jpg