PTV-Jobo

Project ASTFOR - Astelandic Armed Forces

It's their customised Galil for Astoria. It's based on the Swedish FFV-890C

There's some info about it in the first post - name is AG890k

Bingo! You could imagine the look of my face after hearing all the endless "But a Galil doesn't make sense for a Nordic country!" then by shear accident stumbling upon the existence of the 890c. It was pretty much like: https://media.giphy.com/media/4la2AJWCtl8Pu/giphy.gif  :P  :lol:

So we decided to run with the idea of the FFV if it would have been picked and modernized instead of staying with just SAR's with the Estonian style rails. If anyone is interested in the history of the one and only Nordic Galil that could have been, you can read up a bit on it and its history here:  http://www.forgottenweapons.com/rifles/ffv-890c/

• Like 1

It's their customised Galil for Astoria. It's based on the Swedish FFV-890C

There's some info about it in the first post - name is AG890k

Thanks! It is actually really good looking!

Im glad the 890k was so easily recognizable. Means I did my job well!

Some lore for yall.

*company metallurgy ID stamp concepts

*left is pre 1996, right is post

zTit22E.png

Astorian Metal Works

Type: Public

Traded as:

Industry: Steel, construction materials

NYSE: AMWK

Weapons, machinery

Founded: Astorian Metalworks

July 12, 1910

Astorian Metal Works

September 22, 1996

Thomas Johnsen

Founder: Robert Johnsen

Headquarters: Glasten, Astoria

Number of locations: 31 facilites (including factories) with satellites in Europe and North America

Area Served: Europe, Scandinavia, UK, US, Canada

Key people: Tor Lian (CEO)

Products: Weapons, Ammunition, Military heavy equipment, Military Ordinance, Construction

Production output: 1,594,000 Weapons

Christian Selvig (President)

Johnathan Ross (Director of Operations in North America (DONA))

Leon Chambers (Director of Operations in Europe (DOE))

Machinery, Construction Machinery Parts

1,450,000,000 Rounds of Ammunition

223,000 Construction Vehicles

331,000 Military Vehicles

(2015)

Services: N/A

Revenue: US$ 40.221 billion (2015)

Number of employees: 58,000 (2015)

Divisions: AMW EU

AMW NA

Astorian Metal Works, commonly known as AMW, is a multinational corporation,

headquartered in Glasten, Astoria. Once a steel milling company in the early 20 th century, they were

required to start producing weapons to support the Astorian military during the Second World War.

They continued manufacturing weapons and military equipment, solely because the companies’

founding brothers could not afford to re-tool their factories. Being one of only three weapons

manufacturers in Astoria after the war, competition was relatively low. By the early 1950s, the need for

multiple manufacturers in the small nation was almost non-existent, causing both of AMW’s rivals to

close their doors. A monopoly achieved, AMW is now the sole national weapons producer, and in 1996

rebranded as Astorian Metal Works, splitting their name as they also split the company into three

regions. With international production orders growing, AMW began designing weapons in 2008, starting

with the MP6 submachine gun. Today, the company is investing millions of dollars into naval weapons

development for Astoria, to increase active defenses for the island.
  • Like 4

the fact that you guys have created your own armed forces is staggering and hats off to you, but the little details like creating a weapon manufacturer and even gone as far as to creating a re branding of the logo in 1996, is what has made me fall in love with this project.

• Like 5

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. Not sure if we'll use it for AMW at all in-game, but spoke about the idea of possibly recycling it into sort of a country crest mark for the rifles kind of like how Norway has their shield mark on their 416's. At this rate, knowing me all too well I'll end up with like 50 different variations and designs and will hate every single one of them, as usually everything I design and do I despise, lol. I'm my own worst critic. :P

• Like 1

Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well. Not sure if we'll use it for AMW at all in-game, but spoke about the idea of possibly recycling it into sort of a country crest mark for the rifles kind of like how Norway has their shield mark on their 416's. At this rate, knowing me all too well I'll end up with like 50 different variations and designs and will hate every single one of them, as usually everything I design and do I despise, lol. I'm my own worst critic. :P

Thats usually how it goes. Amazing attention to details nonetheless.

Hope you guys end up stamping it on everything they've made!

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised, with your teams attention to detail, if you release a tourist guide to Astoria with this mod  :lol:

• Like 1

please stop spying on us. Thank you.

EPXM4yO.png

• Like 1

Next your gonna tell me you've gone ahead and modeled those damn penguins as well  :lol: genuinely you guys are blowing me away. Like seriously I'm starting to feel like when i was 5 and it was Christmas eve. Brilliant work guys  :D

You know why polar bears don't eat penguins?

Because polar bears are living on the north hemisphere and penguins on the south ;)

• Like 2

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised, with your teams attention to detail, if you release a tourist guide to Astoria with this mod  :lol:

Shhhhh, don't give me ideas. :P lol

Some more fun stuff,

3hhUY0Z.jpg

• Like 6

Hello,

This is my first time replying to this post, even though I've been following it for about a year.

I can see that some of you who are working on this mod have an extreme attention to detail (*cough*I want that tourist guide*cough*). I know I can't have been the first to ask this, but, I was just curious as to if there is any information on the ranking structure that the AAF (Astorian Armed Forces...not the filthy Greenbacks xD) uses. Also any information on how their combat units (Battalions, Regiments, Companies, Platoons, etc.) are organized would be quite pleasing. I would really like to make a milsim unit upon this mods' release and this information would be invaluable. If it's not there, it's okay. I'll just synthesize something myself.

Also along with the whole ranking structure, would it be based off of the systems that the other Scandinavian nations use? Norway's raking structure is small, but modest. There's almost no information (that I can find) on Sweden's. Denmark's is decent. Might as well not even mention Iceland because they have like, what, 5 people in their armed forces?

Anyways, I'm loving this project more and more every day! I would like to help in some way, however I'm not very skilled in 3D modeling (I'm trying to learn, though). I have a small amount of experience with texturing (mainly just re-textures). Once I'm confident in my skills, I may be able to help. I really do want to see this mod become reality.

• Like 1

Heya Toast,

Haha, yes indeed! I can be very detailed-focused with my stuff. I especially love the really little details that most either don't pay any mind to or think as important. It's the little things that go a long way for me. I didn't want to just do this with our content features, but also in the overall creation of Asteland and it's military. From its brief historical origins to its economy and things like ORBAT's and whatnot. I want to tackle it all the best we can, because I feel it brings Asteland much closer to life and believability as it were. I mean how many fictional mods can say they have an actual national anthem?! Haha. It takes longer, and is definitely hard work to make sure everything maintains a sort of believability level even though it's a fictive Nordic country. But is certainly well worth it and pays off in a bigger way in the end. 

As far as Ranks and structures, our member J0nes did do a mockup chart of our layout that he said he'll post here when he has a moment to do so, though it can also easily be changed, but should give a rough idea of what we're thinking. As far as ranks, I still need to kcik up PS and Illustrator to do some mockups, but We're probably looking at something kind of like Norway or even I believe the British. In other words, trying to go for a smaller and efficient layout than 50 different types of Sergeants and whatnot. So indeed, small and modest is preferred as Asteland--while of decent size overall--wouldn't have a massive force equivalent to say our forces here in the US or something, that'll require a much more massive rank system. 

Well we certainly appreciate the desire to help. And with that let me say that while 3d modelers and the like are a big help, that we are always welcoming other types of help as well. Even if its helping out in the creation of its history, geographical help, structuring, etc. Y'know, the little details sorta stuff like we've been talking about. That sort of thing also goes a really long way for us as well. The more like-minded creative minds brought together, the better! :) 

So if you ever have any ideas or suggestions over time, feel free to share them here or you are more than welcome to contact me directly at any time as well!

• Like 4

Only done Army so far, all aviation is included in Air Force, except some cases with naval aircraft, that are assigned to a ship

jrK94hd.png

• Like 4

What's the total force size? And does Astoria have Conscription?

active frontline personnel (all military): 21,563
Conscription: yes, but it hasnt been used since WWII

• Like 1

I did a rough introductory data and statistics analysis presentation for the team awhile back in hopes of trying to get some rough base numbers down. From what I recall atm we had down the following:

Total Pop: 4,032,317

Available Manpower: 2,635,305

Fit for Service: 1,721,524

Reaching Military Age Annually: 52,441

Active Frontline Personnel: 21,563

Active Reserve Personnel: 229,142 (though maybe I should have reversed this amount with Active Frontline numbers?)

Again, these were just rough basic numbers just to finally gain some form of idea. Such mathematically calculations are faaaaaaaar from my area of expertise, (at this point in my life and age, it's a miracle to even remember to leave the house with pants on!), so if anything seems really badly off, just remember its rough numbers and can easily be tweaked if need be. :)

If anyone is interested in seeing the actual presentation pdf with the layout of numbers, I can remove the unnecessary team-specific pages from it and post the presentation here. It pretty much deals a little with land, air and sea system power as well as oil production/consumption/reserve numbers as well as defense budget, external debt, reserves of foreign exchange and purchasing power parity. 

[Edit:]

As screw it, I might as well post the numbers anyways without the fancy-pants graphics, lol. :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAND SYSTEMS
Tanks: 45
Armored Fighting Vehicles (AFVs): 423
Self-Propelled Guns (SPGs): TBD
Towed-Artillery: TBD
Multiple-Launch Rocket Systems (MLRSs): TBD

AIR POWER

Fixed-Wing Attack Aircraft: 38
Transport Aircraft: 36
Trainer Aircraft: 6
Helicopters: 27
Attack Helicopters: 0

NAVAL POWER
Total Naval Strength: 130
Aircraft Carriers: 0
Frigates: TBD
Destroyers: TBD
Corvettes: TBD
Submarines: TBD
Coastal Defense Craft: 22
Mine Warfare: 10

RESOURCES (PETROLEUM)
Oil Production: 5,492 bbl/day
Oil Consumption: 161,890 bbl/day
Proven Oil Reserves: 186,090,350 bbl/day

LOGISTICAL
Labor Force: 1,849,050
Merchant Marine Strength: 76
Major Ports and Terminals: 5
Roadway Coverage: 73,197
Railway Coverage: 4,525,720
Serviceable Airports: TBD

FINANCIAL (in USD)
Defense Budget: $4,440,000,000
External Debt: $586,700,000,000
Reserves of Foreign Exchange and Gold: $89,500,000,000
Purchasing Power Parity: $211,300,000,000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, if people with a knack for these kinds of advanced calculations has any suggestions, let us know! But either way, these rough numbers should give a bit of an idea. And yes, I believe we also had Conscription. If it's something all Nordic countries have still, I suppose we'll need to evaluate it further and tweak some numbers. 

[Edit x 2]

Just as a side note how I got those numbers, my wacky method basically was that I looked at the analytical data of mostly Denmark and Finland since these two tend to be on the lower end numbers that fit Asteland. The process then consisted of adding the rough estimate values between these two countries (occasionally other nations of equal size and geography as needed), finding the average value and then subtracting an additional 15-25%. Then using those estimated values as a starting point for Asteland.  

• Like 5

The numbers seem pretty accurate overall, at least without factoring conscription in. I'd say Astoria would have conscription, since both Denmark and Norway have it, Norway having a border with Russia, and Denmark's defense being heavily tied into that of Norway. Astoria is likely in the same position on the matter as Denmark.  

Yeah definitely makes sense that conscription would come into play with Asteland as well. Good point!

I did a rough introductory data and statistics analysis presentation for the team awhile back in hopes of trying to get some rough base numbers down. From what I recall atm we had down the following:

Total Pop: 4,032,317

Available Manpower: 2,635,305

Fit for Service: 1,721,524

Reaching Military Age Annually: 52,441

Active Frontline Personnel: 21,563

Active Reserve Personnel: 229,142 (though maybe I should have reversed this amount with Active Frontline numbers?)

Again, these were just rough basic numbers just to finally gain some form of idea. Such mathematically calculations are faaaaaaaar from my area of expertise, (at this point in my life and age, it's a miracle to even remember to leave the house with pants on!), so if anything seems really badly off, just remember its rough numbers and can easily be tweaked if need be. :)

If anyone is interested in seeing the actual presentation pdf with the layout of numbers, I can remove the unnecessary team-specific pages from it and post the presentation here. It pretty much deals a little with land, air and sea system power as well as oil production/consumption/reserve numbers as well as defense budget, external debt, reserves of foreign exchange and purchasing power parity. 

[Edit:]

As screw it, I might as well post the numbers anyways without the fancy-pants graphics, lol. :P

LAND SYSTEMS

Tanks: 45

Armored Fighting Vehicles (AFVs): 423

Self-Propelled Guns (SPGs): TBD

Towed-Artillery: TBD

Multiple-Launch Rocket Systems (MLRSs): TBD

AIR POWER

Fixed-Wing Attack Aircraft: 38

Transport Aircraft: 36

Trainer Aircraft: 6

Helicopters: 27

Attack Helicopters: 0

NAVAL POWER

Total Naval Strength: 130

Aircraft Carriers: 0

Frigates: TBD

Destroyers: TBD

Corvettes: TBD

Submarines: TBD

Coastal Defense Craft: 22

Mine Warfare: 10

RESOURCES (PETROLEUM)

Oil Production: 5,492 bbl/day

Oil Consumption: 161,890 bbl/day

Proven Oil Reserves: 186,090,350 bbl/day

LOGISTICAL

Labor Force: 1,849,050

Merchant Marine Strength: 76

Major Ports and Terminals: 5

Roadway Coverage: 73,197

Railway Coverage: 4,525,720

Serviceable Airports: TBD

FINANCIAL (in USD)

Defense Budget: $4,440,000,000

External Debt: $586,700,000,000

Reserves of Foreign Exchange and Gold: $89,500,000,000

Purchasing Power Parity: $211,300,000,000

So yeah, if people with a knack for these kinds of advanced calculations has any suggestions, let us know! But either way, these rough numbers should give a bit of an idea. And yes, I believe we also had Conscription. If it's something all Nordic countries have still, I suppose we'll need to evaluate it further and tweak some numbers. 

[Edit x 2]

Just as a side note how I got those numbers, my wacky method basically was that I looked at the analytical data of mostly Denmark and Finland since these two tend to be on the lower end numbers that fit Asteland. The process then consisted of adding the rough estimate values between these two countries (occasionally other nations of equal size and geography as needed), finding the average value and then subtracting an additional 15-25%. Then using those estimated values as a starting point for Asteland.  

How in the world do you come up with such good and realistic looking numbers? One of the many reasons I like this project is that you have thought everything out!

• Like 1