Sign in to follow this  
drebin052

Next DLC and Expansion Speculation

Which DLC do you like the most?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLC do you like the most?

• Helicopter DLC
    • Marksmen DLC

Carrying two rifles (but no launcher) is a must. This is a realistic choice by a soldier in a real combat situation, if there was one.

For instance, GSC did this for STALKER Call of Pripyat and it was a great decision.

In fact, many soldiers do carry two rifles. As I stated, it's usually standard rifle, and a DMR as their secondary. Never know when you may have to reach out and touch someone.

On complete and totally different note, all you main stream monkeys, I vote SU-47 for CSAT or future Opfor Faction's Fighter/Multirole aircraft.

Maybe, but I think BI would tend to avoid making things a little confusing that way. "So the primary weapon slot can hold rifles, and the secondary can hold rifles and launchers? Why can't both slots hold both?" BI prefers to simplify existing systems instead of complicating them.

I'm just glad for the ability to put guns in a backpack.

I don't think it's so complicated: as secondary weapon is not meant the launcher, but the pistol.

The common equipment of a soldier is a primary weapon and a secondary weapon, which means 1 rifle and 1 pistol. The launcher is not meant as part of a common equipment, it's something accessory to the soldier. Like in the case of an AT specialized soldier.

Same it should be for marksman: a sniper or most in general a designated marksman doesn't carry only a sniper rifle and a pistol like I commonly seen in BF or COD. Instead most of the times they carry the regular automatic rifle when moving into hostile territory, and use the sniper rifle when needed. For example to cover a team advancing.

My guess is that a DMR should be visible on the shoulder of a soldier...and the idea of having the rifle in the backpack is weird except if the backpack is designated as such ! I would say the same for a grenade launcher.

Not sure about carrying 2 launchers...carrying a launcher is not as possible as carrying 2 rifles. Probably you would not be simply slowed down: you couldn't even move a step !! Never tried anyway...

I don't think it's so complicated: as secondary weapon is not meant the launcher, but the pistol.

I meant the launcher slot. Replace the words in my post. If you can put a rifle in the launcher slot, it's not really a launcher slot anymore, and then it would seem weird that the primary can do less than the other slot.

My point wasn't that it's too complicated. It's that it's more complicated than the current system. I don't have a problem with that, but I'm speaking about what BIS is likely to do. They prefer to simplify instead of the other direction.

I get that it's extremely common in real life, that wasn't the discussion. This is about translating these concepts into game mechanics that are easy to understand. Otherwise we end up with complicated inventory systems like in BI's previous games.

I ask a favor to everyone willing to help, as there is someone trying to do carrying 2 rifles in Arma 3 a reality but need some help: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?187574-Carrying-2-rifles&p=2858882#post2858882

Hahahahaha that's fucking epic !!! :D

Not sure about carrying 2 launchers...carrying a launcher is not as possible as carrying 2 rifles. Probably you would not be simply slowed down: you couldn't even move a step !! Never tried anyway...

Yeah, but that's where the weight / fatigue system kicks in. You can equip 2 launchers if you wish to, but this automatically makes it pretty impossible for you to be effective. Let's call it "natural weapon selection" - you simply don't equip 2 launchers unless you are stupid. But still you can. If you wish to. There is no reason to force players not to be stupid.

Other than the resulting clipping issues that this would probably cause... That shouldn't be that much of a big deal with rifles, though.

Actually ArmA3 mod tools are pretty good already. They could be *a lot worse* or not exist at all.

Actually ArmA3 mod tools are pretty good already. They could be *a lot worse* or not exist at all.

"pretty good" is a really optimistic hahhahahahahahahaahaha ;) terrain builder without mikero tools doesn't work

Well, terrain building without terrain builder wouldn't be possible at all.

I've created mods for many games and ArmA is not the worst.

i agree, but TB lacks in documentation and the has problematic installation, bulldozer is the worst piece of software ever made, Plus this game is still alive only for the users creations make more simple the live for the modders is the primary goal for the devs IMHO

Not true Visitor 3 or Visitor 4 would still work.

Let's kick off with Arma 3 Marksmen DLC: an opportunity to add interesting new firearms and scenarios, and refine weapon handling more broadly. Looking first at the content, we plan to introduce 7 new weapons: 5 rifles and 2 machine guns. Our goal is to expand the diversity of the sandbox; we've selected weapons with distinctive roles and aesthetics, which we intend to unveil closer to launch. Alongside these, new attachments and ghillie suits form the backbone of the sandbox content. In terms of scenarios, new showcase missions will be supported by additional VR training topics, plus, a brand new MP mode (about which we'll share more information soonâ„¢). Furthermore, the Virtual Arsenal will be extended to include vehicles; here, players will be able to try out all (owned and unowned) game content without restrictions or notifications.

Turning our attention to the 'platform updates', we're happy to officially confirm our work on 'Weapon Stabilization'. Previously, we've talked about this in more abstract terms, so - while we plan to offer more concrete details (and Dev-Branch progress!) over the next few months - let's dig into some specifics. We've approached this work in 2 ways: 'resting' and 'deployment'. Weapon Resting describes the 'passive' benefit of a player's weapon above a stable surface. Propped up on a low wall; leaning against the bonnet of a vehicle; lying prone, etc. Building upon that basis, Weapon Deployment describes an 'active' choice. Using attachments like bipods, players create a dynamic pivot point, around which their weapon is aimed and discharged, within an arc of fire.

Of course, we're only scratching the surface of Marksmen's development. Under the sage stewardship of Sandbox Design, there are a number of other features and more content in development, but we'd like to share these once we're more confident that they'll fit into the Marksmen development schedule. In brief, we're looking at making improvements to certain aspects of audio, AI, and the handling of recoil more broadly. Aside from this, our scenario designers are focusing upon basic MP gameplay systems. The goals of this work will be shared in detail along with the aforementioned 'MP mode'; in short, our intention is to experiment with new scripted solutions to common multiplayer needs, such as incapacitation and revival, with a view to building on this work with engine implementation in the long term.

http://arma3.com/news/scanning-the-horizon-arma-3-in-2015#.VMAZqC7ves0

2 MGs and 5 rifles...BLUFOR will finally get a GPMG at last? The ghillie part also probably means we'll get full body ghillie suits added to complement the current ghillie jackets. And hurray to bipods at last!

And I wonder what weapon that CSAT soldier is holding (a 12.7x54mm rifle?)

Looks like CSAT will be getting a VSSK-look-a-like sniper rifle called the Akina ASP-1.

Edited by drebin052

Best part re: bipods is that someone (I'm pretty certain it was Jay Crowe) stated that BI's goal is to get bipods in as attachments, not "integral" like the underbarrel grenade launchers (UGL), and if they achieve that then existing weapons would be reconfigured for compatibility... but hopefully they can go even further and "separate" UGLs out -- being the last "integral to weapon" item in Arma 3 small arms compared to Arma 2 -- so that we can finally have "true" Arma long gun modularity!

For me it looks more like modern FN FAL with huge suppressor. Either way, yawn, much future.

Somebody call the wambulance, we have a whiner and the DLC's not even out yet.

Somebody call the wambulance, we have a whiner and the DLC's not even out yet.
I'm sorry, are you implying that statement "In my opinion new sniper rifle visually resembles FN FAL more than VSSK" falls under whining category? Oh, alright, who I am to argue with the Grandmaster of Whining, the proud holder of "First Complaint" achievement who was complaining about Kamaz handling during Arma 3's early alpha stage. :D

No hard feelings, ok? :)

I'm sorry, are you implying that statement "In my opinion new sniper rifle visually resembles FN FAL more than VSSK" falls under whining category? Oh, alright, who I am to argue with the Grandmaster of Whining, the proud holder of "First Complaint" achievement who was complaining about Kamaz handling during Arma 3's early alpha stage. :D

No hard feelings, ok? :)

It was more the "much future, yawn" part.

Yes, the Kamaz did handle like shit in the beta :-)

It was more the "much future, yawn" part.
Yeah, I know. Perhaps you're right, I shouldn't have added this part since there is enough "futuristic vs. modern" threads already and its better to hold judgement until DLC comes out. :)

I actually can't wait dude. That freaking VSS with a large caliber? Dude, that's the closest were gonna get to a damned Beowolf... AND IT'S SILENCED!

2 MGs and 5 rifles...BLUFOR will finally get a GPMG at last?
I don't know if BLUFOR is getting them... but lead designer dude Lukas Haladik said "The answer: MMGs." :)

I don't know if BLUFOR is getting them... but lead designer dude Lukas Haladik said "The answer: MMGs." :)

MMGs = Micro Machine Guns obviously!