Sign in to follow this  
drebin052

Next DLC and Expansion Speculation

Which DLC do you like the most?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which DLC do you like the most?

• Helicopter DLC
    • Marksmen DLC

I had my wishes on Sea stalion and some russian hevi transport helicopters with 6-7 blades (not on 2 story rather on one axys if u know what i mean) and we get this futuristic helicopters,but hey atleast we have a lot free stuff added cant wait to see what two sniper riffles are we gonna get and bipods(not confirmed) but hope to be free feature dont want to piss off comunity from OFP.

I would have loved a CH-53K or a MH-53M in an ArmA game...

Guess it will never happen...

I would have loved a CH-53K or a MH-53M in an ArmA game...

Guess it will never happen...

In Mods we trust!

I had my wishes on Sea stalion and some russian hevi transport helicopters with 6-7 blades (not on 2 story rather on one axys if u know what i mean) and we get this futuristic helicopters,but hey atleast we have a lot free stuff added cant wait to see what two sniper riffles are we gonna get and bipods(not confirmed) but hope to be free feature dont want to piss off comunity from OFP.

Two sniper rifles? Where did you get that information from? Lol, the only time we are probably getting new guns, is when the Marksman DLC comes out.

Two sniper rifles? Where did you get that information from? Lol, the only time we are probably getting new guns, is when the Marksman DLC comes out.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about the Marksman DLC, after the comma.

Since this thread's named "Next DLC and Expansion Speculation", and since we've speculated the hell out of the helicopter DLC, I thought I'd try and stir up some conversation about the EX-pack that will bring a new vanilla terrain along with it next year.

So, people. What are you hoping for in the next terrain, campaign, etc.?

Personally I wouldn't mind caves. Actual caves. Ones that actually lead into an area under the terrain which people can walk over while knowing/not knowing other players are under their feet. It's 2014 for Zeus' sake.

On another note, I have a thread that I saved from 4chan's /v/ (video gaming) section in which a supposed BI dev leaked information pertaining to the new expansion. There's no question it's all crap. But it did raise some interesting thoughts.

With an admin's permission, (just to be safe) I'd like to share what was on the thread.

Edited by Nullrick

Since this thread's named "Next DLC and Expansion Speculation", and since we've speculated the hell out of the helicopter DLC, I thought I'd try and stir up some conversation about the EX-pack that will bring a new vanilla terrain along with it next year.

Personally I wouldn't mind caves. Actual caves. Ones that actually lead into an area under the terrain which people can walk over while knowing/not knowing others players are under their feet. It's 2014 for Zeus' sake.

On another note, I have a thread that I saved from 4chan's /v/ (video gaming) section in which a supposed BI dev leaked information pertaining to the new expansion. There's no question it's all crap. But it did raise some interesting thoughts.

With an admin's permission, (just to be safe) I'd like to share what was on the thread.

Ooooo, something to speculate on.

What I want from the Expansion? Well seeing as the DLC plan post mentioned something about I believe more in depth Civilian assets and a new terrain, I'm hoping for a Map that is 1-1 ratio. I also would like to see modern cars, helicopters, utility vehicles, maybe a double prop transport plane that is as modern as 2035. I also want the law enforcement vehicles, kinda like this...

Bsp8_I3IQAAB6tn.jpg

And maybe even an off-road special based off of that image above. I mean imagine the bumpers from the off-road on those cars, but it's more rugged, with wheels like the UGV's, and a powerful engine for off-roading. And a wire cage build, like the Special forces Humvee's. But most importantly I want a lot of civilian things, ambulances, slick paint jobs for a medical heli, and the likes.

Personally I wouldn't mind caves. Actual caves. Ones that actually lead into an area under the terrain which people can walk over while knowing/not knowing other players are under their feet. It's 2014 for Zeus' sake.

As long as it's safe to read then sure, go ahead. This thread is about speculating after all :)

As long as it's safe to read then sure, go ahead. This thread is about speculating after all :)

Alrighty.

The name of this thread was "ARMA 3 Terrain for 2015 Expansion"

Posted on 07/03/14 (Thu) 11:50:12

"QUOTE"

I work for Bohemia Interactive in our franchising and data science department but I gained this information from others in more hands-on positions pertaining to the game's development like the environmental art and level design departments.

The terrain (so far) planned to launch with the first expansion for Arma 3 is based off of the coastline of Albania. This location was chosen to keep with the backstory of Altis (Lemnos), touching on Greece-Albania relations and the conflict between them in their prior histories. Since there are still political undertones that suggest future conflicts, this seemed, and still seems to be the most logical and agreed upon choice.

The new terrain is loosely based off the Lushnjë/Fier/Berat area, featuring towns of varying sizes as well as two main cities. A considerably wooded and hilly/mountainous region with a western shoreline. Inland features ponds, rivers and lakes and dirt trails with the main roads being fully paved. The architecture of buildings differes very slightly, using slightly different materials and styles.

The things I've only heard whispered about are:

-Implementation of a small desert region like in Altis.

-Snow-capped mountains and actual snow that falls from the sky. (It would also get denser the higher up the selected mountains you went.)

-Ties into the story of a character from the "The East Wind" campaign. (Future or past is unknown.)

-Actual tunnels/caves/etc. underneath the terrain.

It's also worth mentioning that this "Albania" terrain may very well become larger than Altis by a little more than 5-10%.

Other possible and experimental locations are:

-South-west Macedonia around the Struga/Ohrid area. Like the Albanian area, it's quite mountainous.

-North Greece around Thessaloniki city.

-North-west Turkey around the Çanakkale area.

"END QUOTE"

The following picture is what what they had included with this post. hghgh.jpg

But a lot of, at least, thought provoking talk there. The majority of the posts which followed were either complaints or feeding this "dev's" ego. This along with one other post were the only posts worth mentioning. The other post was someone asking if kidneys would be scattered around the map.

I do like the thought of an Albanian map though. I feel it would include the same sort of geography of Chernarus but with slightly more variation. But 5-10% larger than Altis?

Edited by Nullrick

Well, I've been to and around Thessaloniki and the terrain is either flat or with small variations in height, somewhat similar to Altis, so that is out of the question.

As for the Albania(mountainous) region, it's something the community has been craving for a long time, but BI could very well go for a mountainous region in the S-E Pacific (the Philippines or Thailand). Not to mention that it would fit better with the "never before" tag they have associated with the new terrain.

As awesome as that sounds im going to call BS on that on the basis that engine support for ponds+rivers+snow+caves+tunnels, never mind producing a bigger map than altis + other assests/improvements we might expect to see as part of an expansion pack by the end of next year sounds a just a little bit too good to be true to me.

However I'm just speculating. Happy to be proven wrong on this one...

Why would they add a hinterlands terrain, specially now that they have added the possibility to dive in the sea. IMO a Pacific island / archipelago is more probable ( the mountain and snow stuff would be cool though )

Why would they add a hinterlands terrain, specially now that they have added the possibility to dive in the sea. IMO a Pacific island / archipelago is more probable ( the mountain and snow stuff would be cool though )

I kinda like the idea. If BIS refine their techniques with caves and what not, I can actually find this a believable terrain with the "never been done" tag, as they have never done in depth Caves, only on Altis/Stratis have they publicly shown what they can do with caves. It's a NATO member country, the flag looks believable, and snow on mountains, Albania has beaches... So imagine a Terrain by BIS with Beaches, Caves, Lakes, Rivers, and snow? I can say it's never been done. But most noticeably, bigger than Altis by 5-10%? That's impressive and exciting, as anything smaller than Altis would no longer feel like a with while map, to me anyway, and with a terrain with THAT much flavor (of done right). Besides that thought, it's on speculation, and it's not a very clear thread or clerification on who the DEV was, so. Interesting though. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do some research on Albania and all it has to offer. (For more in depth speculation, of course)

I kinda like the idea. If BIS refine their techniques with caves and what not, I can actually find this a believable terrain with the "never been done" tag, as they have never done in depth Caves, only on Altis/Stratis have they publicly shown what they can do with caves. It's a NATO member country, the flag looks believable, and snow on mountains, Albania has beaches... So imagine a Terrain by BIS with Beaches, Caves, Lakes, Rivers, and snow? I can say it's never been done. But most noticeably, bigger than Altis by 5-10%? That's impressive and exciting, as anything smaller than Altis would no longer feel like a with while map, to me anyway, and with a terrain with THAT much flavor (of done right). Besides that thought, it's on speculation, and it's not a very clear thread or clerification on who the DEV was, so. Interesting though. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go do some research on Albania and all it has to offer. (For more in depth speculation, of course)

Like I said, the post was definitely crap. BI's good on choosing who to hire, I feel. Personally - what's never been done before in Arma are canyons. Really awesome canyons. Try looking up Red Rock Canyon, Capitol Reef National Park, Glen Canyon and Canyonlands National Park.

A terrain based on these places is my dream. Just imagine RV4 engine-powered morning sunlight hitting that type of geography. A wide winding river running through tall towering cliff faces. Thick shrubbery lining the water. Nothing but rugged dirt paths leading out and through the landscape. Maybe a long and rickety as hell bridge spanning the gap between the canyons.

This is my absolute dream Arma terrain.

Like I said, the post was definitely crap. BI's good on choosing who to hire, I feel. Personally - what's never been done before in Arma are canyons. Really awesome canyons. Try looking up Red Rock Canyon, Capitol Reef National Park, Glen Canyon and Canyonlands National Park.

A terrain based on these places is my dream. Just imagine RV4 engine-powered morning sunlight hitting that type of geography. A wide winding river running through tall towering cliff faces. Thick shrubbery lining the water. Nothing but rugged dirt paths leading out and through the landscape. Maybe a long and rickety as hell bridge spanning the gap between the canyons.

This is my absolute dream Arma terrain.

That would be cool. Albania however, does have a little bit of everything, and well, it would look absolutely amazing in the RV4 Engine. Maybe if they bring back cloud casting shadows on the terrain...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Koritnik_from_Pashtrik.jpg (2750 kB)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/48/ValbonaPass.jpg (2581 kB)

http://api.ning.com/files/XLvcrs4vVB6w*Pgdu1IZSOO5rFCWp4y4UGGgMZ48DsPqoOlf8pcHdpQKdoohZu2cfLzTBrqDxA*RC4xOpN2*luGE552JTL3H/Gusinje.jpg

Now all BIS needs to do is get ponds/rivers/streams to work with RV4, and do you know how good maps would look?

"-Snow-capped mountains and actual snow that falls from the sky. (It would also get denser the higher up the selected mountains you went.)" - May or may not be an imposter leaning on the knowledge that BISim already achieved this in Real Virtuality... but unless BISim is allowed to transfer the code to BI (remember, BISim works in quite a different way than BI, a way where "may not give this to BI" clauses can be in contracts!) my understanding is that otherwise BI would have to start from scratch?

-Actual tunnels/caves/etc. underneath the terrain." - The interesting thing here is that the expansion has previously been stated to not be standalone, so BI cannot (as with OA) simply resort to what was essentially a new game insofar, meaning that in order to deliver "underground" they'd have to pull this off in the A3 version of RV4. Speaking of VBS3, I'm told that the infamous video of VBS2 underground was actually of a hacky and buggy implementation, essentially a workaround, but it doesn't seem like anyone's found footage of what a "proper" implementation looks like in VBS3 yet...

"It's also worth mentioning that this "Albania" terrain may very well become larger than Altis by a little more than 5-10%." - I'm actually in the "smaller maps with more detail" and the "Pacific Theater" camps, so BOO I say, BOO!

"-Snow-capped mountains and actual snow that falls from the sky. (It would also get denser the higher up the selected mountains you went.)" - May or may not be an imposter leaning on the knowledge that BISim already achieved this in Real Virtuality... but unless BISim is allowed to transfer the code to BI (remember, BISim works in quite a different way than BI, a way where "may not give this to BI" clauses can be in contracts!) my understanding is that otherwise BI would have to start from scratch?

-Actual tunnels/caves/etc. underneath the terrain." - The interesting thing here is that the expansion has previously been stated to not be standalone, so BI cannot (as with OA) simply resort to what was essentially a new game insofar, meaning that in order to deliver "underground" they'd have to pull this off in the A3 version of RV4. Speaking of VBS3, I'm told that the infamous video of VBS2 underground was actually of a hacky and buggy implementation, essentially a workaround, but it doesn't seem like anyone's found footage of what a "proper" implementation looks like in VBS3 yet...

"It's also worth mentioning that this "Albania" terrain may very well become larger than Altis by a little more than 5-10%." - I'm actually in the "smaller maps with more detail" and the "Pacific Theater" camps, so BOO I say, BOO!

It's possible if the time was put in, BIStudio could make it from scratch, that is, if they had time to make those from scratch. But I sure that they will, seeing a it's possible that future terrains may actually have those features.

As for map size, it's possible to have a large map with high detail that's optimized, some are already working I mods with them, and they are great. And BIS had already optimized Altis to where I can run on full view distance at 50 FPS ish. Not only that, but just because a terrai is big doesn't mean it'd be empty, or over packed with objects. Much like Altis, another great size map with even more detail would provide much to do, long after it's release, which would keep the game alive even more.

Oh god, is it true that there won't be new singleplayer missions for the helicopters dlc? Showcase missions usually are super short... Damn, I was hoping for something like the Eagle Wing mini-campaign.

Really, I want more singleplayer content. Waiting since like forever now. I am not interested in multiplayer at all, it's not what I like to play. So what worth are the new helicopters to me if I won't ever really use them anyway? By now I feel kinda lazy when it comes to toying around in the editor. I don't want to build my own missions first, just so I can play with them... Meh.

Edited by Lexx

Really, I want more singleplayer content. Waiting since like forever now. I am not interested in multiplayer at all, it's not what I like to play. So what worth are the new helicopters to me if I won't ever really use them anyway? By now I feel kinda lazy when it comes to toying around in the editor. I don't want to build my own missions first, just so I can play with them... Meh.

I'm with you, but let's be positive, with MANW we will,have an insane amount of SP stuff.

True. But I am still very skeptical about the mission quality. When it comes to fan made missions, usually only 1 of 10 might be good. There is still a huge quality difference between official and community made missions. :/

True. But I am still very skeptical about the mission quality. When it comes to fan made missions, usually only 1 of 10 might be good. There is still a huge quality difference between official and community made missions. :/

Trust me, a lot of the MANW SP stuff is good, like you I'm an SP guy so I'm also a bit disappointed that they're not even giving real scenarios, just time trials (and a showcase maybe?).

would be fantastic if Bis will include the SCUD/B, in the "empty" section, this asset is perfect for a multiplayer mode like "convoy" or "capture the WMD" combined with tempest device

"

Nothing has changed regarding underground structures in VBS3. They are kind of a pain to work with, but they work just fine, and there's nothing hacky about it. I seem to remember Ivan saying that they experimented with underground structures in Arma 3 using the VBS method (an underground LOD that "cuts" through the terrain), and it worked fine except that the AI didn't work underground (which is also true in VBS) so they decided against putting it in as a feature. However, it looks like the folks at BISim have just recently managed to fix the AI limitation according to the 3.5 changelog, so it's possible that this information has been passed on to BI so they could possibly implement it. I have my doubts though. As much as I would love it, all of this sounds way too good to be true to me. I mostly have my fingers crossed for support of rivers and lakes being implemented. :)