Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Quick Terrain Builder Tutorial

Here is a link to a quick Terrain Builder tutorial that should help you get a heightmap, sat, and mask into Terrain Builder and aligned properly.
Quick Terrain Builder Tutorial (PMC Editing)

Edited by jakerod

General Edit:

Post was deleted by myself as it was outdated

Thanks Jakerod for this great Tutorial and the effort that you put in there

Edited by MemphisBelle

This topic does not exist yet - it says

I added an alternate for the time being. I think there might be some maintenance work going on on the wiki.

Some problems:

1. Drag & Drop doesn't work

2. The checkbox for "export pictures to .paa" is grayed out

3. When I open bulldozer it instantly closes and World Builder says "Bulldozer was terminated, no longer responding"

While I can see ~1 Second of Bulldozer, my Terrain seems to consist of millions of spikes... everything fine in Visitor 3 :/

Thanks Jakerod! Nice of you to make such a neat little tut.

@CAPTNCAPS I can't get drap-n-drop to work either. About grayed out. Did you check the "Export satellite texture" or "Export surface mask" first? They need to be active before you can check convert.An alternative for you could be to manually convert to .paa with http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23914

I Got a problem:

At the "Press Generate Layers" at the bottom I'm getting an error:

Layers generation - Default satellite file doesn't exist.

I have imported a tiff sat map which works fine in V3, and I can see this sat map all fine in TB. Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong? It's not called "..._lco.xxx" like it needed to do in V3 though.

Also where do you guys have your project folder? I tried to put it on P drive, but TB wont use it then.

Edited by EgilSandfeld

@EgilSandfeld

Yes, I did check it before. I'll see if I can convert it.

One more thing I noticed: in Visitor 3 it was all fine, now my heightmap is all white, I turned brightness down so much I can't see it with my eyes and I got it to being green... something is wrong with that tool...

Some problems:

1. Drag & Drop doesn't work

2. The checkbox for "export pictures to .paa" is grayed out

3. When I open bulldozer it instantly closes and World Builder says "Bulldozer was terminated, no longer responding"

While I can see ~1 Second of Bulldozer, my Terrain seems to consist of millions of spikes... everything fine in Visitor 3 :/

1.) Hm... not sure about that one. I guess use file > import for now

2.) Having that problem too when I test it. I'll try to see what the requirements are.

3.) Maybe try running Mikero's ArmA3P again. That fixed my buldozer problem. Located here, make sure you read the readme file: https://dev.withsix.com/projects/mikero-pbodll/files

Thanks Jakerod! Nice of you to make such a neat little tut.

@CAPTNCAPS I can't get drap-n-drop to work either. About grayed out. Did you check the "Export satellite texture" or "Export surface mask" first? They need to be active before you can check convert.An alternative for you could be to manually convert to .paa with http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=23914

I Got a problem:

At the "Press Generate Layers" at the bottom I'm getting an error:

I have imported a tiff sat map which works fine in V3, and I can see this sat map all fine in TB. Anyone knows what I'm doing wrong? It's not called "..._lco.xxx" like it needed to do in V3 though.

Also where do you guys have your project folder? I tried to put it on P drive, but TB wont use it then.

I'll see if I can replicate your problem with the error message.

When I go to save I am saving the proejct to P:\jsp\map_sources\terrain_name\. I am using P:\jsp\jsp_terrain_name\ in the Output Root Folder field on the location tab of the mapframe properties.

@EgilSandfeld

Yes, I did check it before. I'll see if I can convert it.

One more thing I noticed: in Visitor 3 it was all fine, now my heightmap is all white, I turned brightness down so much I can't see it with my eyes and I got it to being green... something is wrong with that tool...

What type of file are you importing the heightmap as? I would recommend xyz or asc. Those have worked fine for me. Tiff might be good too. Image ones like bmp or png for heightmaps can sometimes be misinterpreted.

@jakerod

Thx for the tip, I had an .png, I just converted it to .xyz and now it works :D

I'll try Mikeros tool, I didn't use it yet, I thought the provided .bat for setting up the P-Drive was enough :P

(I'm VERY new to modding)

Ahhh many thanks guys at least i have my stuff in V4 :) Just need to work out how to import all my objects next !

Again thanks for the very quick work on this !

Okay my problem on page 1 seems to be of me setting the Project folder in Tools to P:.

Setting it to G:\Arma\ where I have my new TB files solved it, so now it generates both Mask and Sats. Yay! :)

What is the best way to download/find height maps, or what do you guys use ?

I have sat. map but I am having problems with finding the height map.

What is the best way to download/find height maps, or what do you guys use ?

I have sat. map but I am having problems with finding the height map.

This is good for US stuff: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

Quick question...Is there a new way to create roads with a shape file and how does it work with the new tool?

thx in advance

Quick question...Is there a new way to create roads with a shape file and how does it work with the new tool?

thx in advance

Process:

Your mapframe has to have its corner at 200000 E, 0 N for these to align correctly.

Draw the road(s) using polylines

Select it

right click on it and go to databse

fill out like so: https://www.dropbox.com/s/guypkdqo7rm1u3x/shapes_databse.jpg

The following is for when the above image is deleted:

I think each new column has to be added in the reverse order that they appear below:

Four columns: ID (integer): value = 3 (type of road), ORDER (integer): value = 1 (order of roads), _ID (integer): value = 1009 (unique ID number), _LAYER (text): value = roads (text)
So it looks like:
header row: ID (integer), ORDER (integer), _ID (integer), _LAYER (text)
row 1: 3, 1, 1009, roads

further explanation of road system and the above values here: explanation of values here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151398-road-shapefile-making-guide

keep it selected

File > Export > Shape

I saved mine to project/data/roads

I put the roadslib in there

packed it

Edited by Jakerod

i have the problem - terrain builder will not start- i see only the box for the directorys ... can nothing do more :/

followed your instructions to the letter, bulldozer will not start. rpt below. checked paths all files are in those folders, have converted rvmats from png to paa. Under preferences my data directory is pointing to P:\ Project directory pointing to P:\abc\map_source. All my maps are giving the same error, bulldozer wont start.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture a3\data_f\halfa.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\layers\s_000_000_lco.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\layers\m_000_000_lco.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_gravel_nopx.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_gravel_co.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_rock_nopx.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_rock_co.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\layers\s_000_000_lco.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\layers\m_000_000_lco.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_gravel_nopx.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_gravel_co.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_rock_nopx.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\abc_samplemap_rock_co.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\layers\s_000_001_lco.paa.

Warning Message: Cannot load texture abc\abc_sample\data\layers\m_000_001_lco.paa.

@Jakerod

I ran Mikeros ArmA3P (v1.8), but I get "fail" at "unrapping bins" and my Buldozer still crashes :/

And I have 1 more Question: does my Sat image need to have the same size as my map? (e.g. my map is 5120*5120 (512*512, cell size 10) and my Sat image is 512*512, will it be stretched?

Buildozer don't work.

Guy, edit your txt tuto, there is a problem with the wiki link.

Indicate also that we must create a abc folder etc and copy file as your sample data in the directory.

Edited by GranolaBar

@Jakerod

I ran Mikeros ArmA3P (v1.8), but I get "fail" at "unrapping bins" and my Buldozer still crashes :/

And I have 1 more Question: does my Sat image need to have the same size as my map? (e.g. my map is 5120*5120 (512*512, cell size 10) and my Sat image is 512*512, will it be stretched?

Your sat must be minimum 5120 the higher the better it will look, my island is 1024 with 10m cell my sat is 10240 px

@Aus

So when it's lower it will look bad or it will not fit the island size? (sry, I didn't understand right, I'm bad at english)