Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

Quick Terrain Builder Tutorial

@Aus

So when it's lower it will look bad or it will not fit the island size? (sry, I didn't understand right, I'm bad at english)

it will look very bad, plus theres a good chance it wont load, it must be min 5120 for your island. Also making an island that small you can decrease terrain cell size. 5120 x5 mtr would be good, on larger islands lower terrain cell size isnt good. so 512 x 5 2560 or can double to 5120 or 10240 which will give good quality sat pic

TO FIX BULDOZER STARTING PROBLEMS RUN THE BIATCH IN ADMIN MODE.......DOH nobody mentioned that in all the readmes

Ok... I use L3DT for my Heightmap, and I made it using Geotiffs (2200*1875, horizontal scale 92.69) ; which makes way to large terrain.

But I cant change the horizontal scale because then it goes all spikes.

And I can't go full scale because L3DT can't make that large Textures (and it would be ridicoulous size)

btw. how do you start Buldozer as Admin? I checked "start as admin" in the properties, but as it starts over steam it ignores that...

goto your steam install and create a shortcut for the terrainbuilder put icon on desktop then right click start in admin mode

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:05 ----------

Well now buldozer starts but its completely useless it shows no island just water..lol oh well back to drawing board

When I click "connect to buldozer" it says "Buldozer was terminated - Buldozer is no longer responding to messages. Connection automatically closed"

mine said the same thing, till i started TB in admin

i have the problem - terrain builder will not start- i see only the box for the directorys ... can nothing do more :/

Are you starting it from the A3 tools folder or Steam?

followed your instructions to the letter, bulldozer will not start. rpt below. checked paths all files are in those folders, have converted rvmats from png to paa. Under preferences my data directory is pointing to P:\ Project directory pointing to P:\abc\map_source. All my maps are giving the same error, bulldozer wont start.

I never had to edit anything under preferences. I just left that alone. I only chose where to save it to and the mapframe root folder part. I think that might be part of the problem. Mine, under tools, settings say:

Data directory: P:\

Project directory: P:\mod\mapproject\source

Libraries directory: TemplateLibs

The buldozer thing might be solved by using ArmA3P. That's what fixed mine.

@Jakerod

I ran Mikeros ArmA3P (v1.8), but I get "fail" at "unrapping bins" and my Buldozer still crashes :/

And I have 1 more Question: does my Sat image need to have the same size as my map? (e.g. my map is 5120*5120 (512*512, cell size 10) and my Sat image is 512*512, will it be stretched?

Are you sure that you have all the necessary files for ArmA3P to work? Make sure you read the readme. Your sat doesn't technically have to be the same size. You can change it in the layers manager > Terrain coordinates and properties. However it wont look very good if stretched.

Buildozer don't work.

Guy, edit your txt tuto, there is a problem with the wiki link.

Indicate also that we must create a abc folder etc and copy file as your sample data in the directory.

Try ArmA3P or running in admin. I havent had to run in admin though. The wiki link works fine for me.

I do mention creating a folder called abc and moving things there in the sample tutorial.

Just as a heads up. When I wrote the tutorial the tutorial worked fine. When I tested it to make sure it worked it worked fine. Now I am having some issues but it might be my own fault on my end. I'm going to try running through it again to make sure that it works.

but the problem is buldozer doesnt show anything only water. Like you said yours doesnt move. theres no point using the tool if the most important part of that tool isnt working?

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

btw whats the island builders skype channel details? wouldnt mind listening in

but the problem is buldozer doesnt show anything only water. Like you said yours doesnt move. theres no point using the tool if the most important part of that tool isnt working?

---------- Post added at 14:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:29 ----------

btw whats the island builders skype channel details? wouldnt mind listening in

Mine does move now. I used ArmA3P to redo buldozer and everything is fine. If any of you want to be added to the skype channel add me to your contacts: jpauling1411

Additionally, you have to make sure your terrain is lined up correctly and that you rebuilt it so buldozer can see it. Also try moving the camera in visitor my middle mouse button clicking somewhere with land.

EDIT: To Everyone, if you get something like "Default Satellite File is Missing" when you press Generate Layers, it seems to be caused by having too big or too small of a mapframe before you resized it. In other words, the size of the mapframe that you drew and the size of the mapframe that you are trying to generate layers for are too different. Or at least that is what it seems like at this moment.

Edited by Jakerod

Until you map making gurus write a decent doco on how to use this pos I'm heading back to v3 bis can stick this app where it fits, it's complete crap, I've wasted enough time on it

Until you map making gurus write a decent doco on how to use this pos I'm heading back to v3 bis can stick this app where it fits, it's complete crap, I've wasted enough time on it

Don't give up on it. Explore it, and work some magic :)

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

EDIT: To Everyone, if you get something like "Default Satellite File is Missing" when you press Generate Layers, it seems to be caused by having too big or too small of a mapframe before you resized it. In other words, the size of the mapframe that you drew and the size of the mapframe that you are trying to generate layers for are too different. Or at least that is what it seems like at this moment.

Yeah I got the error again, and what solved it for me the second time was to add a new mapframe after doing everything else. Setting the parametres for it and save. Then delete the first (old) mapframe, before generating the layers for the new layer. Working now again.. for now ;)

Did BIS even tested this before the release ?

Buldozer is still not working for me after serveral reinstallations of P: drive using Arma3P... "Buldozer was terminated - Buldozer is no longer responding to messages. Connection automatically closed"

And also this whole "figuring out" how things work wouldnt even be necessary if BIS could provide proper documentation for Terrain Builder together with the release.

Did BIS even tested this before the release ?

Buldozer is still not working for me after serveral reinstallations of P: drive using Arma3P... "Buldozer was terminated - Buldozer is no longer responding to messages. Connection automatically closed"

And also this whole "figuring out" how things work wouldnt even be necessary if BIS could provide proper documentation for Terrain Builder together with the release.

It might help making buldozer run as an admin. Go to properties > compatibility and the option should be there. It might help to run Terrain Builder from the Tools folder and not from Steam directly too. Some of us are working on documentation don't worry.

I am getting ".cfgworlds No entry" , when starting Bulldozer any ideas ?

Did you try using ArmA3P to set up buldozer files? Additionally, you might be missing the config file in the P:\bin folder

Thx for making this :) saved me a lot of time ! I guess the satelite normal map ( which can be created using L3DT for example) can be imported the same way ?

Thx for making this :) saved me a lot of time ! I guess the satelite normal map ( which can be created using L3DT for example) can be imported the same way ?

Yeah it should work. You import it like the others. But before you generate layers I think you check 5 materials per cell + satellite normal map (Futura) instead of 4 materials per cell. I am not 100% sure though.

Did you try using ArmA3P to set up buldozer files? Additionally, you might be missing the config file in the P:\bin folder

Yep i run ArmA3P and I have a config file in the P:\bin ( the one that was there )

Where does my Island config.cpp go ?

Yep i run ArmA3P and I have a config file in the P:\bin ( the one that was there )

Where does my Island config.cpp go ?

P:\yourtag\your_project\

That's how mine are arranged. It just needs to go in the root folder pretty much. Should be with the WRP too.

Hmm odd. I can't seem to select my P:\ as a valid directory for my data directory, and I can't select P:\tag\map_terrain\source OR C:\Users\_user_\documents\ArmaWork\tag\map_terrain\source as my root output folder?!

I can only choose a directory like G:\Arma\map_terrainOutput.

P:\yourtag\your_project\

That's how mine are arranged. It just needs to go in the root folder pretty much. Should be with the WRP too.

Thanks ,that how it is set up - i will redo ArmA3P just in case!

How do roads work?

I already did what you wrote, but my Roads won't load up ingame :/

EDIT: Got it working, forgot to set Easting to 200000

Edited by CAPTNCAPS