dna_uk

DirecxtX 12 for ArmA 3?

ray-traced reflections are very demanding and it's still isn't full ray-trace render not to mention KZ works at 30fps... and not even FullHD in multiplayer

voxel terrain is simple... but then again CE3.5+ removed it because it was too demanding or what ever reason... idk if voxel can be effectively used for more stuff especially for dynamic stuff

dont forget that with every new hardware we can run more and more polygons and there is also tessellation so do we really need voxels?

todays problem is not even polygons number but complex shaders that eat performance

Edited by CrazyBaron

With a TOTALLY brand new engine !

And a cold war setting hopefully

ArmA 4 will most likely use dx12 - but only if DX12 cards will be out

but atm nope , it will take min 2 years to switch from dx11 to dx12 for everyone

but atm nope , it will take min 2 years to switch from dx11 to dx12 for everyone

Both the red team and the green team already have DX12 compatible cards on the market. Question is, will a majority of gamers adopt them?

Huh? When DX12 was revealed last year the whole buzz centered around the promise that it would work with most newer DX11 GPUs already on the market, eliminating the need to upgrade your hardware.

Of course it will be on x64 architecture this new engine!

x32 and old engine (even with fancy dx12) = fail

Huh? When DX12 was revealed last year the whole buzz centered around the promise that it would work with most newer DX11 GPUs already on the market, eliminating the need to upgrade your hardware.

The word most of the features will work on dx11 but some other features will require dx12 cards - you know companies need to sell their new cards as well , same way it was with dx11

Edited by RobertHammer

The word most of the features will work on dx11 but some other features will require dx12 cards - you know companies need to sell need new cards as well , same way it was with dx11

Graphical gimmicks sell cards, but it would not be an outlandish idea that Bohemia would even add DX12 support to Arma 3 to improve performance (that is why we're excited about DX12, no?). Not that I expect it to happen, or understand what type of undertaking it is for development - I'm just saying that many if not most A3 players already have the hardware unless MS backtracks with the whole compatibility thing.

sorry for being negative, but how long has the x64 been out ? isn't that more important than some graphics shit you will see through the next gen ?

all i see is monetary incentives to go dx12, which does not give us much more than fancy screen shots...

i bet microsoft is pushing dx12 and win10 on developers only to further their influence (not to mention the security problems with win 8 and 10 oops i did didn't i ?)

i would be jumping if they said we will go linux all the way with x64 support

sorry for being negative, but how long has the x64 been out ? isn't that more important than some graphics shit you will see through the next gen ?

all i see is monetary incentives to go dx12, which does not give us much more than fancy screen shots...

i bet microsoft is pushing dx12 and win10 on developers only to further their influence (not to mention the security problems with win 8 and 10 oops i did didn't i ?)

i would be jumping if they said we will go linux all the way with x64 support

What would a 64bit build easily improve apart from lessening the need to stream data?

Edit: and DX12's big buzzwords have been about reducing CPU/driver overhead so I don't know what you're going on about.

dx12 is supposed to feature significant CPU performance enhancements. would make sense for BI to be interested considering arma's performance problems

dx12 is supposed to feature significant CPU performance enhancements...

Thats great if it happens but I have heard similar things before with previous new versions of DirectX as well as other stuff MS announced as the "latest greatest". Time will tell :)

/KC

What would a 64bit build easily improve apart from lessening the need to stream data?

Edit: and DX12's big buzzwords have been about reducing CPU/driver overhead so I don't know what you're going on about.

my point being is that it would give us more cpu usage, have you seen dx12 in reality ? or just the advertisement ?

dx12 means we need to buy more shit and install more shit than we need in many ways.

i would rather have my cpu work at 70% or more over all than just the 30% it does now, when dx12 comes i would have to upgrade (free supposedly) to win 10 with all its insecurities and probably need to buy a new graphics card, while they could utilize the x64 architecture most of us already have !

it would be the same as previous game engines, the old will run smooth but the new will be feature packed and still run less than desired, because they over packed it with goodies most of us can't run because we don't have the newest fastest hardware.

and i just hate windows, i only run it for arma, and next time round for me it might be a deal breaker, as i might shift from gaming to an other hobby because i am forced to once again upgrade etc. to me fancy screens are nice, but there is a limit for me to what i have to do to enjoy them.

my point being is that it would give us more cpu usage, have you seen dx12 in reality ? or just the advertisement ?

dx12 means we need to buy more shit and install more shit than we need in many ways.

i would rather have my cpu work at 70% or more over all than just the 30% it does now, when dx12 comes i would have to upgrade (free supposedly) to win 10 with all its insecurities and probably need to buy a new graphics card, while they could utilize the x64 architecture most of us already have !

it would be the same as previous game engines, the old will run smooth but the new will be feature packed and still run less than desired, because they over packed it with goodies most of us can't run because we don't have the newest fastest hardware.

and i just hate windows, i only run it for arma, and next time round for me it might be a deal breaker, as i might shift from gaming to an other hobby because i am forced to once again upgrade etc. to me fancy screens are nice, but there is a limit for me to what i have to do to enjoy them.

From what I salvaged, you still didn't answer the question and only claimed there'd be improvements. How would switching to 64bit "improve CPU usage" or the multicore features of the game to the point of better game performance? And how is Win10 insecure, surely you wouldn't base this on some preview build of an unreleased operating system...

Heh, so they're actually hoping a new DirectX will solve the problems of their aged engine...

Heh, so they're actually hoping a new DirectX will solve the problems of their aged engine...

Your assumption, not Bohemia's. DX12 sounds like good news for any game in the sim genre.

From what I salvaged, you still didn't answer the question and only claimed there'd be improvements. How would switching to 64bit "improve CPU usage" or the multicore features of the game to the point of better game performance? And how is Win10 insecure, surely you wouldn't base this on some preview build of an unreleased operating system...

to be honest, i have no clue i am not a tech boy, but my main point is that x64 was there for a long time and they did not use it, but it would have probably improved the game (that is what i hear in the forums and what not advertisements)

win 10 as with win 8 are not secure in a lot of ways but that is the realm of "conspiracy theorists" lets say my it friends would not touch eight if it was on their own pc other than gaming. lets say microsoft made deals with torturing governments in the world for back doors.

just one political reason not to support microsoft (linux is not much better out of the box, but gives you options...)

i think it is also a bit of BS for BI to have a make arma not war slogan and then sell out to dx12 and win ten when these are made by microsoft who goes along iin the war on privacy with again torturing governments,

that is my personal reason.

skipping one option in the past to improve for the long run in x64 (if not then what is the use of x64 ?) and going dx 12 only supports business not gamers on a tight budget and will bring a lot of complaints as we see so often with poor performance.... and that is bad publicity , publicity non the less...

fix the game not invest in new toys and cover up the existing problems...

but again i am no tech boy so what is my opinion worth ?

lets say microsoft made deals with torturing governments in the world for back doors.

just one political reason not to support microsoft (linux is not much better out of the box, but gives you options...)

i think it is also a bit of BS for BI to have a make arma not war slogan and then sell out to dx12 and win ten when these are made by microsoft who goes along iin the war on privacy with again torturing governments,

that is my personal reason.

What OS did you type that reply on? And if it was a Linux or UNIX OS then what OS do most of your games run on?

Do you use anything made by Google? They helped the Chinese government to censor search results.

Sorry for that but you're taking things way out of context and stretching it across the universe to make a point.

From my profile data it looks like DX12 would have an impact on 40% of the frame. Its unlikely to eliminate that 40% but if it halved it then we would be looking at a 25% higher frame rate pretty much all the time. Its a maximum of 40% improvement, so its going to help a lot but not fix all of the issue. Its necessary but not sufficient.

to be honest, i have no clue i am not a tech boy, but my main point is that x64 was there for a long time and they did not use it

The very reason that most games still aren't 64bit is the sole fact that often there's very little or absolutely nothing at all to gain from it. Why would you rewrite your engine for nothing?

but again i am no tech boy so what is my opinion worth ?

Now, please don't take offense, but why are you participating in a discussion claiming hearsay and "conspiracy theories" as facts then just say "I'm no expert, what would I know?" when your statements are questioned?

why is everyone talking about arma 4 ?

did bohemia interactive mentioned arma 4 somewhere ? no.

did bohemia interactive announced arma 4 ? no.

bohemia interactive said that they will work on arma 3 for the next 4-5 years, so dont expect a new arma for a long time, its to early to talk about arma 4 (when it is even called arma 4,, when a new arma arrive, we dont even know how they name it).

Edited by Arma3goodCPUlowFPS

why is everyone talking about arma 4 ?

did bohemia interactive mentioned arma 4 somewhere ? no.

did bohemia interactive announced arma 4 ? no.

bohemia interactive said that they will work on arma 3 for the next 4-5 years, so dont expect a new arma for a long time, its to realy to talk about arma 4 (when it is even called arma 4,, when a new arma arrive, we dont even know how they name it).

+1 Totally agree with you, assumptions and nothing more.

The very reason that most games still aren't 64bit is the sole fact that often there's very little or absolutely nothing at all to gain from it. Why would you rewrite your engine for nothing?

Now, please don't take offense, but why are you participating in a discussion claiming hearsay and "conspiracy theories" as facts then just say "I'm no expert, what would I know?" when your statements are questioned?

i know nothing of tech, that is true,

but i know politics and finance, why are people HERE on this forum asking for x64 for the past few years ?

they don't know nothing ? maybe then i am just a parrot i guess.

you know if you are so familiar with tech, that MS is selling out on the national security state which ends up to be a war on the people.

and if you disagree that is fine, i know what i know from experience i just call it conspiracy theories because you or others don't have to agree because you did not experience or have seen it irl.