Sign in to follow this  
oo para oo

J.S.R.S Vs Speed of Sound. Video 1 - YOU decided

First video is up with the 2nd incoming with more in depth tests such as internal/external reverb and arty.

Which do you prefer? ps. Marine only talks for INTRO on video two, lighten up guys,.. sheesh.

:butbut:

2nd video only have Marine for intro.. lighten up guys!

Edited by oO Para Oo
2nd Video up.

Although I like the idea of seeing them both side by side, the 80's rape victim modulation you used on your voice kept putting me off.

Fairly watchable apart from that though.

I did? I don't recall doing that...

All I heard was some Scottish guy cursing for 2min. Is there an actual comparison in there somewhere?

That voice over was terrible. Good comparison, i think im going to give it to SOS for this round.

Wow, you lost me at 0:25

less nintendo music

less voice modulation

Im sorry mate, i had to stop it after 30 secs.

I actually wanted to see the video and compare the mods, as im using JSRS atm, but your voice is just to much.

I would suggest doing this again, without voice over, and use simple text on the screen, so people can focus on the actual mod sounds, coz this is kinda useless :/

Skip the first 40 secs and I agree with previous posters. Remove VO, serves no purpose.

Thanks for that, up until now I believed default sounds are good enough, but listening to those 2 mods have given me other ideas, I know which one I want to try at least, also wasn't really digging angry voice guy, especially over the running sound test :)

Subjectively some of the SOS sounds seems better/more interesting/rich/convincing to me, other not, but to know, which is really better, I need to know also, how it sound (at least houw could sound) in reality. Adding also vanilla sounds as "control group" would be nice.

I have to admit some sounds from SOS seem and sound better, but in over all I prefer the JSRS sounds, as they seem more natural and "open".

Some JSRS 2.1 sounds are too loud and dont seem natural. when armor tanks are middle range they are too loud. The walking and breath are too loud for my taste. Could be abit lower.

Some SOS sounds are too low and don't seem natural. The overall sounds are quite closed (muffled sound).. The firing specially. Choppers could be abit louder and the armor as well. The night sounds are nice bu the wind is too strong for my taste, doesn't feel natural.

In the end with the current versions and in overall I prefer the JSRS ver 2.1 as they sound more natural in over all !

Edit: I seem to be contradicting myself on the comment but the best mode would be in between of both mods by using some sounds from each sound mod. I guess it depends on each person's tastes.

Edited by bravo 6
typo

Video 2 is up, only intro Marine. (its an ongoing persona we have for smaller video clips,) So much dislike lighten up!.

Definitely SOS. The vehicles in comparison sound a bit dull, granted. But the weapon sounds are way more complex and immersive. The JSRS weapon sounds are a bit like a polished version of the original samples, whereas the SOS sounds are more directional, and more intense.

Personally I prefer SOS for vehicles, but JSRS for weapons. Pity these two could get together and create 1 pack. I was also told that JSRS uses a lot of scripting so can affect some peoples framerate, where as SOS is true audio with no scripted reverb. There was no difference in framerate using either when recording the videos.

---------- Post added at 12:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Nope Sorry. If you stopped after 30 that's your issue, its clearly a long video. Thanks for your feedback, video two only have VO for intro.

I never had error messages using JSRS 2.1 but I had error messages in tha past using SOS..

personally dont like to have errors when playing a mission.

I'll play some missions on Zeus Community server using the recent SOS version and ill post on youtube for you guys to compare.

Wow i'm very surprised. I wouldn't like to call it because there are certain elements to each that I like. I definitely preferred SOS Infantry movement and the SOS chopters to LJ's. But LJ's HMG and Hunter, Launcher... sound sweet. Both improve on the original MX sounds, the vanilla sound is too artificial, percussive and gives me a headache. The explosions and distant fire I would say SOS pips it. I'm gonna sit on the fence and say both mods win :p as they're both an improvement on the original in terms of increasing the theatre of war experience. They both attempt to address some of the problems faced with the audio engine.

As I created the videos, I didnt really sit back and listen to them on a decent 5.1. I have now and I think the bullet cracks from the front side of infantry is more visceral and frightening, the single shot infantry sounds more like a pistol to me, but i do prefer the vehicle sounds on SOS and the helos especially, its a really tough call on this. Pity we can mix the two sound packs. By the way SOS is still not complete as there still some sounds to be replaced its not a final release. Next up will be visual comparisons with blastcore etc.

They both attempt to address some of the problems faced with the audio engine.

What kind of problems does the audio engine have?

Both mods are using it.

They are both excellent sound mod, even if whit the last update i prefer the SOS Mod....i find it more immersive compared to the JSRS!

My 2 cents...of course!

Pity we can mix the two sound packs.

Can't we though?

If you remove certain .pbos from the @speedofsound-folder, they're being replaced with the original sounds (I did that with the speedofsound_environment.pbo everytime, since the wind was (not since the last update) far too loud). So if you'd remove the .pbos of the sounds you don't want from one of the mods, you could probably use the ones from the other. At least if there aren't any dependencies hidden in the core files.

Thanks for taking the time to make the comparison videos. I have been using JSRS since it was released but hearing them both side by side was interesting. There are great sounds in both and it is really hard now to pick just one.

I look forward to more comparison videos from you. Thanks again.

What kind of problems does the audio engine have?

Both mods are using it.

Check the feedback tracker :D or even better ask the SOS/JSRS developers

Check the feedback tracker :D or even better ask the SOS/JSRS developers

Let me rephrase:

What exactly is wrong with the audio engine when mods like SOS or JSRS can show what it is capable of?