Sign in to follow this  
Antichrist

Ofp is dead?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 24 2002,23:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It doesn't strike you as strange that you don't even have the game yet you still post on the forums?<span id='postcolor'>

I like to check these forums once in a while. No one has ever told me that i need to play OFP as long as i want to post on this forum....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Sep. 26 2002,10:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 24 2002,23:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It doesn't strike you as strange that you don't even have the game yet you still post on the forums?<span id='postcolor'>

I like to check these forums once in a while.  No one has ever told me that i need to play OFP as long as i want to post on this forum....<span id='postcolor'>

You say you never played OFP MP and that's why you don't play it anymore. Well, when I got OFP in July 2001, I didn't play online untill March of 2002, that's 9 months of mission editing and playing SP missions. Now since I started playing MP, I play OFP online 90% of the time now, with some mission editing here and there. I don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like to check these forums once in a while. No one has ever told me that i need to play OFP as long as i want to post on this forum....<span id='postcolor'>

What Placebo was meaning, is that there must be something special in OFP to make you come back on these boards when you don't have the game anymore.

It is not a "problem" of posting rights, but more of posting and reading reason.

Unless you visit the forums of each game you have played wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,06:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Sep. 25 2002,05:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 25 2002,06:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OFP: has plenty of terrain change data. and transmitting them would be a LONG procedure.<span id='postcolor'>

Terrain change data?<span id='postcolor'>

running over trees.....usually when i drive tanks, i run over trees.....<span id='postcolor'>

I dont think things like that are the problem of not having JIP, you can easily send the "world state" to a client with status of all the changed objects... (for example, telling a client the object id and, for example a damage value would only need about 4 bytes of bandwidth, so 1000 objects would only need under 4KB of traffic, minus the compression)

I would say the main problem with JIP would be the scripts and triggers, if theres scripts running locally on clients in multiplayer missions, a client joining mid game could not just start executing the scripts from the beginning as that might cause havoc to the mission... And as clients can run very different scripts on them, sending a state of another client to the joiner and resuming from that would not be a very working solution either. The complexity and flexiblity of the missions and scripting is propably the main fallback of not having jip.

And, as Suma said someday the engine just isnt designed for jip, I would guess the way things are timed and handled require that the mission is started at the same time in all clients, and that the mission is run from the beginning...

Ok, this is a bit offtopic, sorry sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Sep. 25 2002,17:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I like to check these forums once in a while.  No one has ever told me that i need to play OFP as long as i want to post on this forum....<span id='postcolor'>

What Placebo was meaning, is that there must be something special in OFP to make you come back on these boards when you don't have the game anymore.

It is not a "problem" of posting rights, but more of posting and reading reason.

Unless you visit the forums of each game you have played wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I don't visit all those forums smile.gif so i guess you are right...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Sep. 26 2002,15:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What Placebo was meaning, is that there must be something special in OFP to make you come back on these boards when you don't have the game anymore.<span id='postcolor'>

What Placebo meant was he finds it strange why someone who no longer has the game would feel the need to be part of the forum of the said game which he no longer has smile.gif

I've just sold my Kyro and bought a Radeon, I certainly see no reason why I would still post on the Kyro forums thus I said my goodbyes and deleted the links, then found the Radeon forums and signed up to those.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 26 2002,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've just sold my Kyro and bought a Radeon, I certainly see no reason why I would still post on the Kyro forums thus I said my goodbyes and deleted the links, then found the Radeon forums and signed up to those.<span id='postcolor'>

Graphics cards have forums? Man, that's where all the geeks have gone...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Sep. 27 2002,05:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And, as Suma said someday the engine just isnt designed for jip, I would guess the way things are timed and handled require that the mission is started at the same time in all clients, and that the mission is run from the beginning...

Ok, this is a bit offtopic, sorry sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Who knows but i hope they try for it, in the old days it was ofps jus not made for bridges its impossbile but we got em.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Sep. 27 2002,04:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 26 2002,17:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've just sold my Kyro and bought a Radeon, I certainly see no reason why I would still post on the Kyro forums thus I said my goodbyes and deleted the links, then found the Radeon forums and signed up to those.<span id='postcolor'>

Graphics cards have forums? Man, that's where all the geeks have gone...<span id='postcolor'>

Yes graphics cards have forums, that way you know when and where the latest drivers/tweakers and other such apps are released, and when there are problems with games you have a unified source to find fixes/tweaks/workarounds biggrin.gif

I was a big fan of OFP, but I just didn't play it anymore. Right now, it's not even on my HD anymore... I'm just too addicted to CS.

I can see one more hype for original OFP, the XBox release, but then it's over. It will remain a small dedicated fanbase, until something really new (no expansion) will hit the shelves.

This thread was posted on September 9. After 3 weeks and over 24 pages worth of replies I think we can safely say that there's plenty of life left smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Sep. 25 2002,18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Sep. 26 2002,15:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What Placebo was meaning, is that there must be something special in OFP to make you come back on these boards when you don't have the game anymore.<span id='postcolor'>

What Placebo meant was he finds it strange why someone who no longer has the game would feel the need to be part of the forum of the said game which he no longer has smile.gif

I've just sold my Kyro and bought a Radeon, I certainly see no reason why I would still post on the Kyro forums thus I said my goodbyes and deleted the links, then found the Radeon forums and signed up to those.<span id='postcolor'>

I stay here because of the great mods! wink.gif

oh and Ex Ronin, please don't act the "hollywood movie" way biggrin.gif

i don't think the game will ever die, it's the only game occupying a very specific niche at the moment, and there are people that like playing an infantry sim. you can talk about all the other new games but they're all geared to the mass-market, which is very fickle and tends to have a short attention span. what those games offer can be easily copied and implemented, with clone competing against clone. OFP is an original game that has a vast, and i do mean VAST array of methods to change gameplay, methods that are advertised in other games as set features.

there is no other game out in the market that comes close to OFP in it's niche, when such a game arrives then you can talk about the possibility of OFP dying, right now there is no competition so this whole thread is redundant.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (moerty @ Sep. 26 2002,18:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">there is no other game out in the market that comes close to OFP in it's niche, when such a game arrives then you can talk about the possibility of OFP dying, right now there is no competition so this whole thread is redundant.<span id='postcolor'>

There are enough games that sell a lot better and that are a lot more popular than OFP.....

You are saying in it's niche, but because OFP is so special (realistic, hard to play, etc), a lot of ppl don't want to play this game.

So basically a game that might look extremely dumb in your eyes, f.e. BF1942 (has been mentioned before), can be a really nice game for others cuz they care less about realism and stuff like that.

Wow this has got to be the longest ham actors death scene ever. biggrin.gif It s Dying its dying its dying......... 2 months latter it s....

Hey look its resurected get over this death wish thread your all worse than Charles Bronson

me too now i have contributed tounge.giftounge.gif

its not the arcadish ness of bf that makes it popular to so many it helps but the main reason is multiplayer in bf your guanteed a local server with many players and no wait, many ppl really hate its soldier gameplay and over arcadeness yet they play it i dont, if ofp had many servers many players and no waits it would certianly be the better game on gp they gave bf 4.5/5 only two games have 5/5 and ones operation flashpoint if it had the mp features itmite not be more popular but it would certanly be better.

i just updated eye.

- added "Operation Flashpoint: Resistance" - not many servers listed atm, but BIS has promised full ASE support in the next patch

patch on the way ?

Well it's been months since I've posted and I'd like to say this once again...

In a world without highspeed, inexpensive internet access this game lives on!

But in my world it is dead. My copy sits apon my desktop gathering dust, but is still installed. What a great loss. One of, if not the best game even created fails in online play. The companies behind this wonderful software did not listen to it's users and provide online features that are needed for it's success.

The fact that there is even a poll about it's death means more than it's results. This game had the potential to be a multi-year contender, but because of the lack of... JOIN IN PROGRESS this game will die. I mean look at CS, when will this game die? As much as we may all what it to, when?

Over 12 close friends of mine play online games. Could I make the sale of OFP to them? Nope. As cool as they though it was, they didn't like it's online aspects.

So what do we play and love? What game offers everything I wanted in OFP as far as online gaming goes?

BF 1942... finally there is a game.

It may not be perfect in all regards, but it does the trick. And mods galore.

BIS missed the boat. Maybe they will consider what their players/customers want in OFP 2? Hell, maybe BIS should watch Austin Powers and realize what the difference between 1 million and 1 billion is? I don't know, what a waste.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desloc @ Sep. 29 2002,21:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what do we play and love? What game offers everything I wanted in OFP as far as online gaming goes?

BF 1942... finally there is a game.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, if BF1942 is what you wanted, then OFP certainly was the wrong game for you. For me, its the other way around, there is no game out there with multiplayer that would compare to OFP, we have games every day with our squad and its great fun.

The main "problem" is that the majority of people just want fast action, not strategic combat which is what OFP is. But there are people who play OFP (like us), you just dont see us playing because we play on our own private server, which is how OFP is the best to be played imo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Sep. 30 2002,08:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desloc @ Sep. 29 2002,21:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what do we play and love? What game offers everything I wanted in OFP as far as online gaming goes?

BF 1942... finally there is a game.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, if BF1942 is what you wanted, then OFP certainly was the wrong game for you. For me, its the other way around, there is no game out there with multiplayer that would compare to OFP, we have games every day with our squad and its great fun.

The main "problem" is that the majority of people just want fast action, not strategic combat which is what OFP is. But there are people who play OFP (like us), you just dont see us playing because we play on our own private server, which is how OFP is the best to be played imo.<span id='postcolor'>

But its available to so few, i play on a pub and what i want most is no waits i hate joining a game and seeing theres no breifing and i cant go anywhere else cos its a waste land of empty servers, also i want longer games without jip we're forced to have short games as ppl drop or leave and ppl join teams become unbalanced. Many of us enjoy the rts2 maps because of how much fun it is cooperating as a team to defeat the other thru combined operations where a few of us build up squads and paradrops and others take advantage of the coas and move in but becasue we drop players and more ppl join we havnt once finshed it. OFP isnt a fast action game ppl who want fast action dont play ofp, what i want is fun and waiting isnt fun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 30 2002,01:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But its available to so few, i play on a pub and what i want most is no waits i hate joining a game and seeing theres no breifing and i cant go anywhere else cos its a waste land of empty servers, also i want longer games without jip we're forced to have short games as ppl drop or leave and ppl join teams become unbalanced. Many of us enjoy the rts2 maps because of how much fun it is cooperating as a team to defeat the other thru combined operations where a few of us build up squads and paradrops and others take advantage of the coas and move in but becasue we drop players and more ppl join we havnt once finshed it. OFP isnt a fast action game ppl who want fast action dont play ofp, what i want is fun and waiting isnt fun.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you in a squad/team/clan? Then I think your team should ask another team for a friendly game with RTS2, and you'd get to finish it. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (iNeo @ Sep. 30 2002,21:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 30 2002,01:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But its available to so few, i play on a pub and what i want most is no waits i hate joining a game and seeing theres no breifing and i cant go anywhere else cos its a waste land of empty servers, also i want longer games without jip we're forced to have short games as ppl drop or leave and ppl join teams become unbalanced. Many of us enjoy the rts2 maps because of how much fun it is cooperating as a team to defeat the other thru combined operations where a few of us build up squads and paradrops and others take advantage of the coas and move in but becasue we drop players and more ppl join we havnt once finshed it. OFP isnt a fast action game ppl who want fast action dont play ofp, what i want is fun and waiting isnt fun.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you in a squad/team/clan? Then I think your team should ask another team for a friendly game with RTS2, and you'd get to finish it. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yea but ther server is public and theres only like 2 squads one with anynumbers i mean jus us regulars, always sum of us drops or has a crash of sumthing sum times my adsl cuts out and theres jus way way to get the guys bak in the game.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 30 2002,10:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (iNeo @ Sep. 30 2002,21:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 30 2002,01:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But its available to so few, i play on a pub and what i want most is no waits i hate joining a game and seeing theres no breifing and i cant go anywhere else cos its a waste land of empty servers, also i want longer games without jip we're forced to have short games as ppl drop or leave and ppl join teams become unbalanced. Many of us enjoy the rts2 maps because of how much fun it is cooperating as a team to defeat the other thru combined operations where a few of us build up squads and paradrops and others take advantage of the coas and move in but becasue we drop players and more ppl join we havnt once finshed it. OFP isnt a fast action game ppl who want fast action dont play ofp, what i want is fun and waiting isnt fun.<span id='postcolor'>

Are you in a squad/team/clan? Then I think your team should ask another team for a friendly game with RTS2, and you'd get to finish it. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yea but ther server is public and theres only like 2 squads one with anynumbers i mean jus us regulars, always sum of us drops or has a crash of sumthing sum times my adsl cuts out and theres jus way way to get the guys bak in the game.<span id='postcolor'>

You don't have to play on a dedicated. Just create a server the regular way.