Sign in to follow this  
Antichrist

Ofp is dead?

Not really it just means ppl have to wait to play, the difficulty it being not a run and gun shooter means that the undesirables dont play but instead play bf1942, i luv ofp but im not prepared to wait much for a game.

All this talk about JIP is nice...I highly doubt we will get it, but we can keep our fingers crossed I guess. Think about the opportunities for missions with this...JIP doesnt just mean some guy will POP into the game...I would imagine that mission designers could impliment some sort of 'reinforcement drop' where those joining could be pumped into the game in time intervals or even on the basis of achieved objectives.

Regarding those folks that dont submit a mission to the public...I say go for it...send it in...whats the worst that can happen?? The more missions the better in my oppinion. Especially player vs. player missions...this area is hurtin for sure...try finding a good assortment of player vs. player missions using the new weapons from resistance or ones on Nagova...sure theres a few...but more is better!! Send them in!

I doubt as well, that we will see JIP, but what might be possible is a observation mode, so that new people in pool can hook up to a player or look from (mission-defined) observation points. They would not see destroyed buildings and vehicles, crushed trees or dead bodies from the time before they joined. For obvious reasons, it would only be available for those who already have the mission...

Dang!!! I can't read all these pages tonight ,but on the original topic OFP does not have to die.

If a few mods came out that branched away from the East vs West original game, people might flock to it. Look at what kind of mods people request, Aliens/mechs/x-com/starwars ect ect... These mods would bring in new blood (if word got out), not just bring the people who left OFP for greener pastures.

JIP would bring many more mission possiblities and not have to design missions thinking about a short time limit. U could treat JIP jus like respawning etc or even find other ways of using it but no observer mode could be done without jip because u have to get in game and its not a big amount of data to get up to sync, all bullets would be ignored untill in the game, units positios and speeds not much prob, make a map with lotas ai in planes etc different dammages and stuff u will see the files around 10kb. I really hope BIS can implement it because with less ppl than servers playin ofpr isnt a good sign for the current game and theres only about 100ppl playin 1.46 at a given time on ded servers.

Also some ppl say JIP will open the floodgates for all the annoyin players u could dream of, my main multiplayer game i play is return to castle wolfenstien, theres about 8 servers between nz and aus and i got into a clan where im the second youngest guy at 17 and the others in there 20s - 30s, 2 of em being media designers now these guys arnt annoyin little kiddies. We have trouble makers but they are well know and number at 2 ppl. The ladder we compete in aus/nz one has 41differnt clans with a minium of 6ppl, i wouldnt expect ofp to be like that but just being half that popular would mean having more than just 2 clans between nz/aus and more than 1 server, but nobody wants to play a human vs human game where u wait 30mins get in a game and after 5mins the teams are way outa balance and more ppl r waitin and a premature reassign happens.

Also folk tend to forget in the beginning when OFP came out at first there was a fair share of unsavoury types ,generally being a pain in the ass to deal with.

also this no jip can be abused, i once joined the gp server back in the 1.3 days and saw it had been going for 30mins so i waited there were 6 in game and 4 waitin it was ctf, soon there was 2 in game the admin and another person, when the clock read 74mins they were still in game with 10 waitin i left. Who knows how much longer it went on, the chat msgs were a blur of flames.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Sep. 19 2002,15:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Sep. 19 2002,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Talking about netcode, just look at BF1942 it lags with less than 32 players even on good servers while EA boasted it will work out with 64 players. Talk about false advertising - and BF 1942 is a dedicated multiplayer-only game.

We've had 30 players in OFP occasionally on our server with minimal lag on directplay. Sockets could take even more people but it doesn't support voice so we don't use it.

Please stop bashing OFP netcode if you haven't played it since 1.0.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah that is true BF1942 netcode is really shitty and did u hear that they're going to charge money for online play soon?<span id='postcolor'>

Can you post a URL where they say they are going to charge for ONLINE play soon...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 @ Sep. 23 2002,06:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Antichrist @ Sep. 19 2002,15:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Sep. 19 2002,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Talking about netcode, just look at BF1942 it lags with less than 32 players even on good servers while EA boasted it will work out with 64 players. Talk about false advertising - and BF 1942 is a dedicated multiplayer-only game.

We've had 30 players in OFP occasionally on our server with minimal lag on directplay. Sockets could take even more people but it doesn't support voice so we don't use it.

Please stop bashing OFP netcode if you haven't played it since 1.0.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah that is true BF1942 netcode is really shitty and did u hear that they're going to charge money for online play soon?<span id='postcolor'>

Can you post a URL where they say they are going to charge for ONLINE play soon...<span id='postcolor'>

ive heard that EA servers r free for the first year then u have to pay for em.

BF1942 is the future, ever since i bought BF1942 i stopped playign OFP tounge.gif i have played 64 players with no lag, whoc ares if it has no SP, I never play Single player i like playing real people smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ctsketch @ Sep. 23 2002,14:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BF1942 is the future, ever since i bought BF1942 i stopped playign OFP tounge.gif i have played 64 players with no lag, whoc ares if it has no SP, I never play Single player i like playing real people smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OFP is much better i reckon

1. Can have much larger maps

2. Mission editor nuff said

3. Easyer modded, bfs mods r jus gona be model replacements, they have no sdk or mission editor like ofps to make anything else.

4. As we've seen ofp gets great support with more on the hirzon, ppl for bf have yet to see ea do anything.

5. BF is arcade and repetive, give ofp JIP and u have a much better mp game it even lags less, and it being more realistic and mroe difficult u wont get the smacktards and also from what ive seen the cheaters r floodin to bf.

well i just wana add that even though that ofp has a bunch of addons and mods out and comming out, doesn't mean that the game is gona live forever. sure it may last longer but its gona get dry in a while.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Oct @ Sep. 24 2002,00:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well i just wana add that even though that ofp has a bunch of addons and mods out and comming out, doesn't mean that the game is gona live forever. sure it may last longer but its gona get dry in a while.<span id='postcolor'>

everything dose but mp is the last thing to but ofps mp is too much hassle and not enuff ppl playin, mods jus keep single player going but do nothing for mp really.

As a matter of fact OPF isnt dead yet. But its dying... And it will die if we wount see any new expanition pack like resistance. All those addons is nothing without missions or campaigns with them...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goodspeed @ Sep. 23 2002,15:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All those addons is nothing without missions or campaigns with them...<span id='postcolor'>

bingo.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 23 2002,02:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ctsketch @ Sep. 23 2002,14:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BF1942 is the future, ever since i bought BF1942 i stopped playign OFP tounge.gif i have played 64 players with no lag, whoc ares if it has no SP, I never play Single player i like playing real people smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

3. Easyer modded, bfs mods r jus gona be model replacements, they have no sdk or mission editor like ofps to make anything else.

4. As we've seen ofp gets great support with more on the hirzon, ppl for bf have yet to see ea do anything.

5. BF is arcade and repetive, give ofp JIP and u have a much better mp game it even lags less, and it being more realistic and mroe difficult u wont get the smacktards and also from what ive seen the cheaters r floodin to bf.<span id='postcolor'>

Please tell me that was a joke

BF1942 gets no support for EA, hmm, lets see, the game has been out for approx a WEEK, and is still not out in some places, What kind of support have we seen from BIS for mods, The oxygen tool for creating models was just released after approx 1.2 years after being promised numerous times. PLUS guess what, MISSION are easily created in BF1942, read some of the editing forums. YES , right now they are scarce but lets face it, the game is not even full released yet.

There is a mission editor for BF1942 included but not enable yet...wait and see about that one. WHO says that MODS for only model replacements. Have you even read what some of the mod teams are doing. AND btw, just a quick NOTE, please point me to a MOD for OFP, I am not talking about an ADDON either , I am talking about a MOD. As far as lag goes, YOU are once again comparing Applies to Oranges, DO you remember the 1.00 lag problems with OFP and for that matter , the 1.46 netcode was nothing to bring home to momma, SURE you can talk about 1.75 netcode but then again, YOU paid another $50 (or so) for that netcode, IT should be much better. Please SHOW me where the cheaters are FLOODING in to BF.

I noticed you like the sound bite but don't really say much do you

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goodspeed @ Sep. 23 2002,14:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As a matter of fact OPF isnt dead yet. But its dying... And it will die if we wount see any new expanition pack like resistance. All those addons is nothing without missions or campaigns with them...<span id='postcolor'>

The OFP community was too busy SUCKING up to BIS to create a system for missions and standards. Certain guys who shall remain nameless , did not want any part in this UNLESS BIS had a say in it. HOW do I know this, I was heavily involved in the MOD community last year while helping out Gunslinger with his addon and working on my own MOD called "The Total War Package", We had numerous discussions on IRC with the 'elite' and 'veterans' about HOW best to procede with setting standards for missions, ie. How to package them, things like , putting links in the installer to addons...I even wrote a 'standard' installer for missions that would check to see if the appropriate addons were already installed and giving the user the option of downloading them from sites. Unfortunately there was too much in fighting within the community and WAY too much "SUCKING UP TO BIS". What do I mean by this, simple , certain guys would not even agree to disagree unless BIS was involved, they of course had neither the time or inclination to get involved in this, therefore some of the veterans did not want to help at all. When calls for support for this was attempted , certain people undercut it, but emailing BIS telling them, they did not support this project because and I quote "No system is needed, we can work this out on our own". This is a direct quote from an email sent to BIS and CCed to me by a 'veteran'.

I know most if not all of ever heard of the "Total War Package", that is because after I realized I was in with a bunch of elitest folks , I knew I would get no support from BIS, and after I was promised said support and none was forthcoming, I dropped the project. I figured out this "If this company is NOT going to support my project" why should I possibly make them any money by producing a MOD that might help sell copies of OFP. Of course now I fully understand why they did what they did, They already had a project in the works which my free MOD would have competed with...NO that product is not released yet but it will be....

You think BIS supports its MOD community , think again, THEY don't, yes , they support certain members of it, but they don't support the community as a whole. hell, it tooks them almost a year to put out the editing reference guide, something that was done A LONG time ago by LUSTYPOOH.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 @ Sep. 24 2002,03:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 23 2002,02:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ctsketch @ Sep. 23 2002,14:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BF1942 is the future, ever since i bought BF1942 i stopped playign OFP tounge.gif i have played 64 players with no lag, whoc ares if it has no SP, I never play Single player i like playing real people smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

5. BF is arcade and repetive, give ofp JIP and u have a much better mp game it even lags less, and it being more realistic and mroe difficult u wont get the smacktards and also from what ive seen the cheaters r floodin to bf.<span id='postcolor'>

Please tell me that was a joke

BF1942 gets no support for EA, hmm, lets see, the game has been out for approx a WEEK, and is still not out in some places, What kind of support have we seen from BIS for mods, The oxygen tool for creating models was just released after approx 1.2 years after being promised numerous times. PLUS guess what, MISSION are easily created in BF1942, read some of the editing forums. YES , right now they are scarce but lets face it, the game is not even full released yet.

There is a mission editor for BF1942 included but not enable yet...wait and see about that one. WHO says that MODS for only model replacements. Have you even read what some of the mod teams are doing. AND btw, just a quick NOTE, please point me to a MOD for OFP, I am not talking about an ADDON either , I am talking about a MOD. As far as lag goes, YOU are once again comparing Applies to Oranges, DO you remember the 1.00 lag problems with OFP and for that matter , the 1.46 netcode was nothing to bring home to momma, SURE you can talk about 1.75 netcode but then again, YOU paid another $50 (or so) for that netcode, IT should be much better. Please SHOW me where the cheaters are FLOODING in to BF.

I noticed you like the sound bite but don't really say much do you<span id='postcolor'>

exactly mustang, BF jjust came out in the US this month and is just now released in europe and already people have managed to make Models, maps, and start making new mods even without an SDK, i eman if mods and ish are making progress BEFORE tools are created imagine when they are and yes, they do plan on releasing tools for BF1942 after the next patch, and at least BF1942 has dencet graphics, less lag for me, It can actually have good structures like Bridges, more realistic treads on things like tanks........ Physics are a helluva lot better than sliding tanks etc...... I mean look at the player modles smile.gif they look as good as MOH yet they still have hhuge as maps and vehciles planes tec... I eman OFP may be more realistic and has bigger maps but it doens;t have the fun and eye candy factor of BF....

There is going to be no SDK for bf the mission maker i bet wont be anything like ofps, its only got 3 modes tdm ctf and conquest which r very easily recreated in ofp. Ctsketec get resistance that can handle bridges and is much better looking. Also there are cheats for bf i even know where to find them, even the news sites have said cheats exist, theres cheating posts in al the forums ive seen. OFP changed its net code because it was using direct play, bf has got its own so dont expect major changes, after its realease ppl have gona back to there orginal games NZ has about 6 bf servers and most r empty at the moment its 2pm and holidays. O2 took its time because BIS had to make it ready for us to use they didnt have to but they did, bfs makers dont even answer ppl on the forums.

Mustang, this is the last warning. If you want to talk about how BF rulez then goto their forum and talk about how BIS sucks.

I don't care if you are a 'veteran' or not. you revealed that your idea was not accepted and that you are upset. with your programming skillz i bet you can make better things then some utility for a lame game like OFP.

and for BF being better graphics, i see only one reason. integrated models. try ramming over a tree with a tank. you'll see what i talk about.

BF is out for a week now, and considering that for OFP, ppl were making and hacking into the OFP demo, i see no "superiority" of BF. let's see how BF does a year and half later.

The main reason why OFP wasnt as successful as it should have been was b/c of the lousy multiplayer imo. Dont get me wrong, I love OFP. After 15 years of gaming, across many different platforms and just about every genre, OFP is on my top 10 list of all-time favorite games. That says alot about how I feel towards this game.

I bought the game as soon as it hit the shelves and I have been playing it on an off ever since. The reason I take my little breaks is because I just get so bored of single-player. AI no matter how good it is, will never replace another person. I just get tired of fighting bots over and over and over..

The reason why games like cs and BF:1942 are so popular is b/c of the multiplay. I will bet you anything that they wouldnt have half the fans they have now if it wasnt for multi. Graphics only go so far, realism only goes so far, rock-solid multi-player is what keeps people coming back and helps people form large comunities.

This is one of those I games I walk away from saying,

"If just this or that were different, this game would be a runaway hit." I had much more to say, but if I kept going I wouldnt be able to stop so I will just end it here.

Its imposible to make good multiplayer in game like OFP. There are many reasons for it. Fist and basical is availability of many active objects in game.

Look at those bf1942 and CS. Its just arcades. No more. And we CANT compare them with OFP. This is VERY different games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 24 2002,04:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is going to be no SDK for bf the mission maker i bet wont be anything like ofps, its only got 3 modes tdm ctf and conquest which r very easily recreated in ofp. Ctsketec get resistance that can handle bridges and is much better looking. Also there are cheats for bf i even know where to find them, even the news sites have said cheats exist, theres cheating posts in al the forums ive seen. OFP changed its net code because it was using direct play, bf has got its own so dont expect major changes, after its realease ppl have gona back to there orginal games NZ has about 6 bf servers and most r empty at the moment its 2pm and holidays. O2 took its time because BIS had to make it ready for us to use they didnt have to but they did, bfs makers dont even answer ppl on the forums.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, OFP editor is the BEST out there, no doubt about that. BUT guess what, think about if OFP was a multiplayer game only, WHAT good would the editor be, there would be no scripting, ALL you do is place objects on the map, Once again you are comparing Apples to Oranges.

I play OFP 1.46 and I still have to use DirectPlay, guess what it still sucks and this is 1.2 (approx) years after I purchased the game. AND guess what, I am not sure what servers people are playing on, but the netcode in BF1942 does not suck for me at all, I get sub 80 pings to almost all the EA servers, and NO LAG, btw, I did find out one thing thru testing, the 'LAG' people talk about is NOT netcode lag, but rather lack of resources lag. I have tried Resistance on a buds computers, and IMHO it does not look better than BF1942 and it sures sucks up more system resources.

Oxygen took 1.2 years to get out, lets see the state of BF1942 mods in 1.2 years otherwise you are comparing Apples to Oranges.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goodspeed @ Sep. 24 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Its imposible to make good multiplayer in game like OFP. There are many reasons for it. Fist and basical is availability of many active objects in game.

Look at those bf1942 and CS. Its just arcades. No more. And we CANT compare them with OFP. This is VERY different games.<span id='postcolor'>

huh, what do you mean you can't make a good multiplayer game in OFP, of course you can...The only things missing from OFP for multiplayer are IGJ (in game join) and NON DIRECT PLAY netcode (ok, 1.75 has it). Plus also remember, that HUGE maps don't necessarily make good MP maps, Think about this for a second. If you were to play paintball on a 100km2 field, everytime you got shot, you were driven back to the start and were allowed to continue, I doubt very much you would be willing to play for very long if you had to run or drive to the 'action'. but COOP , now thats a different story.