Sign in to follow this  
Antichrist

Ofp is dead?

In case anyone missed it, Suma stated in another thread that the Bis testing server is no longer online because the 1.75 client is no longer compatable...so...looks like we will be looking at both a server and client side patch. HEY! Theres a spark of life! Its not much in the way of info, but at least its some!

Yes OFP is some sort of boring BUT

Resistance is gonna live:)

I play Resistance in single and Internet and OFP is just for Internet

I think that after Resistance it will be OFP 2 and all clans are gonna move to OFP 2

and BF1942 I don`t like because it not a simulation of a real war.

wink.gifwink.gif

Look forward smile.gif

In my eyes, BF 1942 is a bit of a dissapointment. Taken together, it's Half-Life mod Day of Defeat with vehicles and less realistic weapons. Maps don't feel much bigger either.

It's a good game but far from being OFP slayer.

I still keep playing with my squad and ain't bored a bit and never been wink.gif

I have been absent for a while, so i don´t know much about OFP´s current multiplayer popularity, however for all those liking games with a straight military approach in a roughly believable manner, OFP should be still a game of choice if you throw everything into a pot, despite all bugs and things that do need considerable improvement.

And so OFP is for me, after playing relatively polished games like Americas Army, Battlefield 1942 and Delta Force:Blackhawk Down, i came to the conclusion that they are all different from OFP, and although they´re fun to play and looking great on the visual side, they cannot "replace" it.

All these games listed are nice in one or the other way, however, as OFP they lack certain areas; Americas Army is skirmish in a sandbox concentrating on a small unit theme (for now), Battlefield 1942 has somewhat jerky robot-like animations (way more so than OFP robots) and is situated more on the action side of things, Delta Force:Blackhawk Down features bunnyhopping, medipack collecting and jerky animations the like.

Now all these games listed are primary trimmed towards multiplayer, which leaves the single player component probably a bit behind of what OFP features with it´s AI, large islands and terrain features, large scale combined arms battles and powerfull mission editor.

However, no question OFP is aging and still has major issues, needing a "marshall plan" from ground up that goes beyond the improvements that shipped with Resistance. Whether that be in form of OFP2 (Independance lost ?), or in a major update with rewritten physics- (although bouncing vehicles and sliding tanks already have "cult" status), graphics- and sound engine.

P.S.:The Karma physics engine would surely look good in OFP smile.gif.

Yea but kama physics would surely be very hard on your computer, ofp already has very high specs for a game9even ut2003 i think is lower) even top of the line comps cant run it full view distance and full gfx, so i wouldnt expect super gfx advances in any ofp2 they would look much the same if it came out around now but your looking at years away. Things like adding more detail to cities like proper footpaths and stuff etc would make it look soo much better.

Also ofps multiplayer has potential far greater than any other game Y because of its mission maker, u can have so many gametypes yet no big mods to dl, its net code 1.75 seems very good u can play missions with 20ppl and lotas ai if the servers fast enuff and its playable, in a game like bf1942 on adsl with about 32ppl and 100ping it starts to lag, i can play ofp 300ping and it feels less laggy. But what all those mp games have in common is JIP and easyness to play, ofp isnt easy so it would appeal to the sim fans but what turns them away is no JIP so they go play il2sturmovik online. I think we need JIP so we can play more than jus little 30min c&hs all the time and have only one populted server.

I don´t know if Karma would drag down performance considerably, a code that is complex, but well and efficiantly written might be in the end faster than a code not as efficiantly- think about OFP´s initial netcode.

Seeing the engine in action (UT2K3) and in some demos you can download from the developers HP: http://www.mathengine.com , all i can say is outstanding!

Even if it would have a minor impact on performance, i would be glady sacrifying it if no longer falling through building walls, don´t have skiing tracked vehicles anymore, bouncing objects and vehicles of all sorts, submergeable helicopters and the like.

Karma provides fast and stable physics modeling, particularly rigid-body dynamics and collision detection, suitable for use in interactive 3D applications. Using the Karma physics libraries, it is possible to create sophisticated environments that accurately predict object movement in any environment. Karma provides a foundation that can be used in everything from games to virtual reality simulations.

Dynamics

Karma can be used to build realistic articulated rigid-body simulations, including the use of multiple joint types, soft and hard joint limits and spring-like recreation with multiple nodes as needed.

• Manages several joint types and several actuation models.

•Simulates hard contact constraints with no interpenetration.

•Provides a fast and stable friction model.

Collision Detection

Karma provides advanced algorithms that are optimized to calculate the collisions between a variety of objects such as geometrical primitives (spheres, boxes and cylinders) for object-to-object collision detection, as well as more advanced types such as convex and even arbitrary polygon meshes.

• Selectable geometry types with fast, tunable, collision detection and contact generation for stable collision response.

•Efficient handling of large number of objects.

•Time of impact estimates.

•Flexible plugin architecture allowing selective type linking user geometry types.

Karma is available for Microsoft Windows, and Linux operating systems. For extended functionality, it can be supported to be integrated with third party APIs.

Why choose Karma?

Efficient

Our pre-built, pre-tested, fully-documented libraries mean you can reduce overall development time so you can get your product to market faster than ever. Your development team can focus their energies where they add the most value: making your application best-of-class.

Fast

Using Karma means you can simulate large systems of bodies in real-time for interactive simulations. Speed is assured by using a very fast solver that calculates realistic looking contacts and stable assemblies.

Stable

By using Karma you don't have to spend time fixing problems. The product benefits from wide usage in many industries - all contributing to its overall robustness and stability.

you would think with all that predicting and stuff it would tax the cpu a bit, i dont fall thru floors in most buildings in ofp there ok, but adding kama probly isnt a simple process u would have to change quite a bit ild say and would be a huge update to dl probly i havnt really seen it work much in ut2003 ill have to look harder.

I think OFP is dead.

No Patch, no news on what they are working.

too sad!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Long @ Sep. 18 2002,15:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think OFP is dead.

No Patch, no news on what they are working.<span id='postcolor'>

No patches is what makes a game dead? How exciting! confused.gif

IMO, I see a big lull now. We all know the gripes about JIP. That's a big negative on the MP side (in quantity of players).

On the SP side, look what's going on. Day after day, every joe out there is creating addons galore. Now go find great missions that use them!

Take Adammo's C130. Out for about two weeks. Any gripping SP missions to use it in? None so far, AFAIK.

Look at OFPEC's mission depot. The page hasn't changed since July.

Go to other mission download sites and there's only a trickle of new entries compared to what used to come in.

New SP missions for OFPR? Here and there, yes, but there should have been dozens of great ones to choose from by now.

Same with new islands. Tons of them! Now go find missions that make the islands worthwhile.

We should have had by now Vietnam, WWII, Mideast, Desert Storm and Afghan campaigns by now. Nada. Zippo.

These are a few of my gripes. mad.gifsmile.gif

Oh, sorry.

Forgot to mention, i'm no single player. Even not a coop player, only wars. 7vs7 and up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Long @ Sep. 18 2002,16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Forgot to mention, i'm no single player. Even not a coop player, only wars. 7vs7 and up.<span id='postcolor'>

So, then, what do you care about a patch and BIS news?

I mean, shouldn't your gripes be about lack of good servers, players, lag, connection glitches, etc.? confused.gif

Or are you just bored of playing OFP no matter how good the servers, missions, players and connection? confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 18 2002,13:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Look at OFPEC's mission depot. The page hasn't changed since July.<span id='postcolor'>

Thats cause they're still in the process of updating it. Plenty of people have sent missions in but they're waiting to be put up.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Go to other mission download sites and there's only a trickle of new entries compared to what used to come in.

New SP missions for OFPR? Here and there, yes, but there should have been dozens of great ones to choose from by now.

<span id='postcolor'>

I think this may be because, now OFP has been out a year or so, people have higher expectations, and perhaps they have missions on their computer, but don't feel them worthy to be put up there with the greats.

Just my two cents  confused.gif

tounge.gif PEACE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Sep. 17 2002,21:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So, then, what do you care about a patch and BIS news?

I mean, shouldn't your gripes be about lack of good servers, players, lag, connection glitches, etc.? confused.gif

Or are you just bored of playing OFP no matter how good the servers, missions, players and connection? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, as far as the patch goes, I would hope it includes the fixes to mutliplay which are needed such as fixes for ghosting on dedicated servers, perhaps better server memory usage, etc etc...

I have a couple of missions I made but even though my mate liked them I am not sure that they are "good" enough to be put up. I dont spend years making fancy intros and shit, becasue I like my missions to be about action. But becasue they have no fancy scripts etc, i dont think that it would be received with any great warmth. i look at these self appointed mission reveiw nazi's and read there comments.. No intro , shit outro , lack of scripts..

No wonder people are keeping them to themselves.

Maybe a little in house cleaing of these slef appointed guru's might encourage the Players to make and submit there missions.

OR

these Mission gods should put their stuff out and lets all have a crack at them.

U want my Lipany Attack map? its a c&h with one area to control i dont like ones with heaps of areas, 2 sides given a tank t80, m1a1 and light tank m60 t72 and apc, plus a fre trucks and cars all respawn. They have a hele each un armed and dosnt respawn, theres quite a heavy fog on hte map for fps reasons and is quite fun none of this 500m snipe fest. Its got all the timeleft slectable scorelimit and stuff etc.

I am not to sure I follow all the lingo , but if it is a sp map , then I would love to have a crack at it , sounds good

Talking about netcode, just look at BF1942 it lags with less than 32 players even on good servers while EA boasted it will work out with 64 players. Talk about false advertising - and BF 1942 is a dedicated multiplayer-only game.

We've had 30 players in OFP occasionally on our server with minimal lag on directplay. Sockets could take even more people but it doesn't support voice so we don't use it.

Please stop bashing OFP netcode if you haven't played it since 1.0.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Sep. 19 2002,14:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Talking about netcode, just look at BF1942 it lags with less than 32 players even on good servers while EA boasted it will work out with 64 players. Talk about false advertising - and BF 1942 is a dedicated multiplayer-only game.

We've had 30 players in OFP occasionally on our server with minimal lag on directplay. Sockets could take even more people but it doesn't support voice so we don't use it.

Please stop bashing OFP netcode if you haven't played it since 1.0.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah that is true BF1942 netcode is really shitty and did u hear that they're going to charge money for online play soon?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (M79 @ Sep. 19 2002,00:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But becasue they have no fancy scripts etc, i dont think that it would be received with any great warmth. i look at these self appointed mission reveiw nazi's and read there comments.. No intro , shit outro , lack of scripts..

No wonder people are keeping them to themselves.<span id='postcolor'>

That's what im talking about! Look at Ex-RoNiN's Fairy Island. Not the best intro camera angles, bare minimum scripting...And yet, people play it! People like it! What does this tell you? tounge.gif

Don't get me wrong, im all for nice camera and mission scripting, but if the missions no good then it's a waste of time.

It's sad when people just leave OFP because they think, "Man my mission sucks compared to X's scripting and Y's Cutscenes". I recommend for M79 to give his missions to OFPEC and gamezone etc. Cause this games all a matter of trial and error. smile.gif

wow.gif PEACE

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GAMEER_77 @ Sep. 19 2002,18:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's sad when people just leave OFP because they think, "Man my mission sucks compared to X's scripting and Y's Cutscenes". I recommend for M79 to give his missions to OFPEC and gamezone etc. Cause this games all a matter of trial and error.  smile.gif

wow.gif PEACE<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think my missions sucks. tounge.gif

Plus, cutscenes and music tracks, as impressive as some of them are, get old really fast if you play the mission over and over.

I like having intros, outros, and cutscenes in SP and campaign maps, because it adds to the game, but with MP missions, I can do without.

I must admit to having taken MP maps that my friends and I play again and again and removing camera scripts and rock music that just kept droning on in the background because I just couldn't take it anymore.

Its old hat now and the multiplayers a joke thats if i can find any run of the mill servers to play on let alonme good ones with LAMEspy now that the ASE is fucked mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 20 2002,06:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What we need is JIP ASE support and the next patch, thats what we need.<span id='postcolor'>

ASE, yes. In a heartbeat.

I dont think JIP is a good thing for a game like Flashpoint. Even on CTF. I think it sets a fairly high level for the people playing, and therefore it weeds out a lot of undesirables. Is that elitist? Sure is. Whats wrong with that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Sep. 20 2002,07:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Whats wrong with that?<span id='postcolor'>

Well, for one thing, it's elitist. tounge.gif

For another, as has been said a 1000 times, just make JIP a server side option. The elitist hosts will obviously set it to disabled. wink.gif