Sign in to follow this  
Antichrist

Ofp is dead?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (walker @ Sep. 13 2002,00:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi Mustang60348

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 Sep. 13 2002 @ 00<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You control your people by talking to them in Roger Wilco or Teamspeak, or whatever voice comms you use at the time. <span id='postcolor'>

Voice controled AI via Roger Wilco or Teamspeak. I did not know Roger Wilco or Teamspeak could do that are you sure? I always thought Roger Wilco or Teamspeak were for communication between team members in MP.

Kind Regards walker<span id='postcolor'>

Your reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking...Please post a URL where I said I was controlling AI players..I didn't. You asked me how many players I could control..I told you..YOU did not specify AI players..which btw, you should know that BF1942 is a MULTIPLAYER game with SOME Single player to it.

Mustang60348, behave! Be polite towards other members.

As for you other people trying to convince him that OFP is better then BF1942 - don't bother. If he wants to play BF1942 then let him. OFP and BF1942 are two different type of games; some people might enjoy one type while others enjoy the other type.

Well I finished Fallout 2, its back for OFP for me and I started playing original campaign again, I already clocked it about 5 times but still think it is a best SP campaign up to date....... and don't tempt me with these screenshots, cause I can post couple of mine........ yum..... tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 @ Sep. 13 2002,12:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ArchangelSKT @ Sep. 12 2002,19<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hm is this turning into an OPF vs BF 1942 thread ?

I really don`t get it why people must bash each other

over games they like and dislike .

I`ll play them both and regard myself as privilaged ( spelling )

since I like both of them unlike other people here it seems<span id='postcolor'>

Actually ARK, I love playing both games...I love OFP for the editor that comes with it, I have created about 2 dozen missions so far for our clan to practise with..ONLY Original OFP though, I won't pay another $50 for ONE campaign and a few missions...called resistance...

I have also written several online tutorials for this editor along with helping with the GUNSLINGER addon, BTW, if you look in the readme , you will find my name in there. SO YES, folks I actually know alot about OFP, not resistance though.

The ONLY failing of OFP IMHO is the netcode , I have heard the RES is better but since I don't have that I can't comment. Well, not the only failing because the lack of tools (although at least O2 is out now) for making your own mods..and btw MODS not just addons....is another failing..HOPEFULLY that will be corrected soon<span id='postcolor'>

The net code is much better i can play 300ping on stoners server and it is like 90 ping on 1.46 server, and playing with 90ping 1.75 is even better, the only thing it lacks is jip with is really essientail for big online games, u cant hope to get more than 20people on a popular server with out it really. Resistance dosnt just give u a new campaign, it gives u new grahpic features and new high res textured island, and new vechciles pistols etc, and much more abilities for mission makers like dust for choppers near ground fire etc. Also u wont get to enjoy the addons because most addons are for 1.75 and wont work with 1.46.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 13 2002,03:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 @ Sep. 13 2002,12wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ArchangelSKT @ Sep. 12 2002,19<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hm is this turning into an OPF vs BF 1942 thread ?

I really don`t get it why people must bash each other

over games they like and dislike .

I`ll play them both and regard myself as privilaged ( spelling )

since I like both of them unlike other people here it seems<span id='postcolor'>

Actually ARK, I love playing both games...I love OFP for the editor that comes with it, I have created about 2 dozen missions so far for our clan to practise with..ONLY Original OFP though, I won't pay another $50 for ONE campaign and a few missions...called resistance...

I have also written several online tutorials for this editor along with helping with the GUNSLINGER addon, BTW, if you look in the readme , you will find my name in there. SO YES, folks I actually know alot about OFP, not resistance though.

The ONLY failing of OFP IMHO is the netcode , I have heard the RES is better but since I don't have that I can't comment. Well, not the only failing because the lack of tools (although at least O2 is out now) for making your own mods..and btw MODS not just addons....is another failing..HOPEFULLY that will be corrected soon<span id='postcolor'>

The net code is much better i can play 300ping on stoners server and it is like 90 ping on 1.46 server, and playing with 90ping 1.75 is even better, the only thing it lacks is jip with is really essientail for big online games, u cant hope to get more than 20people on a popular server with out it really. Resistance dosnt just give u a new campaign, it gives u new grahpic features and new high res textured island, and new vechciles pistols etc, and much more abilities for mission makers like dust for choppers near ground fire etc. Also u wont get to enjoy the addons because most addons are for 1.75 and wont work with 1.46.<span id='postcolor'>

Actually HELL, alot of the addons do work with 1.46, you have to defpbo them and make some changes to a few of the files..ADDAMOs little bird e.g , motorcycles can be made for 1.46 as all the code for them are included.

Just a small note..MY entire discussion is about original OFP, not Resistance as I don't have it (and won't be purchasing it). But IMHO an extra $50 (that is what it costs here) for me is too much for what you get..I rented it locally to check it out. So my comments regarding the netcode are valid, heres hoping they bring out a patch to get the orig OFP to 1.75 standards for netcode.

With regards to the campaign for Resistance, hmmm..I thought I read that there was a campaign in it..OK, perhaps I was wrong...Although I seem to remember playing what I would call a campaign when I rented it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Sep. 13 2002,02:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mustang60348, behave! Be polite towards other members.

As for you other people trying to convince him that OFP is better then BF1942 - don't bother. If he wants to play BF1942 then let him. OFP and BF1942 are two different type of games; some people might enjoy one type while others enjoy the other type.<span id='postcolor'>

and SOME enjoy both , me for example..I love both these games actually, play them both alot. My reason for entering this thread at all was to correct erroneous information, ala 1.5 years in dev (which IMHO was an attempt to make it seem as though BF1942 stole everything from OFP, one guy even made a silly comment that the default keys for 2 functions were the same as proof).

I think its an amazing thing for any game to stay fresh for a full year in the computer game world.

The only games I can think of that people played more than a year were:

- WarCraft 2 which last like a year or a little bit longer with the exp pack

- Civilization 1 which lasted like 8 million years

- Half Life which last 2 years I think

So, I think BIS should be proud that they have a game that stayed on tops (in its genre) for 1 year.

The shortest game I can think of was TerraNova.

Which hit the stands and got forgotten very quickly.

But, it didn't have multiplayer.

Does the release of O2L mean that BIS may being hanging up their hats in releation to ofp?

If so does that mean they are going onto newer version or maybe a different direction altogether.

At the end of the day , BIS cant live off ofp forever.

there is no game that i can see in te near future that can challange ofps single player, bfs single player is jus stupid bots that run round doing there own thing its levels r much smaller and not dynamic eg weather day night etc, and it lacks game modes. OFP when it comes to mp is usually beatin tho not because of gameplay but other things like long waits difficulty of getting enough ppl an even just getting a game. What ofp alllows u to do is create heaps of ways to play with jus the editor, like the RTS maps, u wont see that in games like bf1942, and this Chain of command thing looks awsome, i jus hope it becomes more point and clik like close combat etc.

Id have to agree that although single player will probably continue to be mildly popular, multiplayer is going down the crapper. Even Stoners cant keep a full house anymore. No word on a patch, problems with ghosting which require shut downs to recover from, and a few other tidbits are killing the multiplayer aspect of the game. I think at least the hard core fans were willing to wait in line a little to play, but coupled with the other items, the multiplay community is shrinking more and more every day...Our server used to be packed full every night with people beating on the doors to get in, we still have players, but not nearly as many. BF1942 will drag even more players away. I really enjoy playing OFP multi, but with the issues at hand its getting harder and harder to get a good game. Unless this next patch adds more units or something similar which truly adds to the game, I think the multiplayer aspect will be dwindled down to co-op on private servers and possibly a small handfull of player vs player servers. Problems with resistance multiplay can be evidenced by the fact that more people are playing 1.46 than 1.75. I dont wanna see this game die in this arena...Im not ready to quit playing it yet...lets hope that something comes alog to put a good jolt of life back into the multiplay community.

thats Y ive started on about JIP since resistance, the previous argument was JIP isnt possible cos of net code or sumthing, it cant be that hard to do to get a player synced up, a mission with heaps of things in it like planes etc is only a few kb and it has all the info on where speed direction etc. JIP would mean if u have 4 ppl playin ctf another comes along jumps into the game, a few more shows up and in no time it becomes fun, JIP would see all the ppl playin 1.46 really want to get up to 1.75 or what ever it would be. At the moment we whould have 4 ppl playin ctf if the admin hates coops ppl would join then leave straight away or after a few mins when we needed the extra players, and ppl get real impatient when we what at set up for more ppl who can blame em after waiting ages. As far as game play goes it is way better than bf1942 offering small action packed missions or large tactical ones, but a game isnt fun if theres not enough ppl to play, and to get those people we have to remove the wait of sitting staring at game in progress.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ Sep. 13 2002,07:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thats Y ive started on about JIP since resistance, the previous argument was JIP isnt possible cos of net code or sumthing, it cant be that hard to do to get a player synced up, a mission with heaps of things in it like planes etc is only a few kb and it has all the info on where speed direction etc. JIP would mean if u have 4 ppl playin ctf another comes along jumps into the game, a few more shows up and in no time it becomes fun, JIP would see all the ppl playin 1.46 really want to get up to 1.75 or what ever it would be. At the moment we whould have 4 ppl playin ctf if the admin hates coops ppl would join then leave straight away or after a few mins when we needed the extra players, and ppl get real impatient when we what at set up for more ppl who can blame em after waiting ages. As far as game play goes it is way better than bf1942 offering small action packed missions or large tactical ones, but a game isnt fun if theres not enough ppl to play, and to get those people we have to remove the wait of sitting staring at game in progress.<span id='postcolor'>

It is more difficult. In OFP you can change a lot of environment, e.g. destroying houses, running with a tank over bushes and trees - you have to sync all this stuff as well. If a huge battle with lots of vehicles across the whole island lasts for 20mins and more, there would be a lot of updates to be send, eg. tree ID1234567 dropped in the direction 235, barrel #23 dropped to 134 and was pushed to CD34, blabla...

All the other FPS I remember (which are not too many), have only very few of this elements in the maps, but OFP...

Well, I don't know how many Res boxes have been sold, but the fact that more ppl play with 1.46 than Res does not prove anything. This just prove that less pple have Res than original OFP. BTW, how does ded servers handle w/ DirectPlay version of netcode in 1.75? Does ghosts appear?

On a sidenote, I can't believe what I read.... What should BIS do to prove you that they ARE working on a patch ??

Each time, same story.... Pple whining for a patch NOW! "What's this crap, what are they doing??" . Each time, pple seems to believe BIS is just sitting there, drinking some beer or whatever. And each time, patch is out, correcting the worst bugs, leaving few.

Have you seen version number on BIS testing server? Have you seen they said ghosting problems were corrected?

OFP community lacks just 1 thing : patience wink.gif . This is perhaps killing some MP aspect of the game (I said : some biggrin.gif ), but if we get rid of impatient whiners, let them go playing Bf1942.

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nailbighter @ Sep. 13 2002,05wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The shortest game I can think of was TerraNova.<span id='postcolor'>

I still love that game. Too bad I can't play it anymore. (I want my old 486 back! ) sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (whisperFFW06 @ Sep. 13 2002,23:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, I don't know how many Res boxes have been sold, but the fact that more ppl play with 1.46 than Res does not prove anything. This just prove that less pple have Res than original OFP. BTW, how does ded servers handle w/ DirectPlay version of netcode in 1.75? Does ghosts appear?

On a sidenote, I can't believe what I read.... What should BIS do to prove you that they ARE working on a patch ??

Each time, same story.... Pple whining for a patch NOW! "What's this crap, what are they doing??" . Each time, pple seems to believe BIS is just sitting there, drinking some beer or whatever. And each time, patch is out, correcting the worst bugs, leaving few.

Have you seen version number on BIS testing server? Have you seen they said ghosting problems were corrected?

OFP community lacks just 1 thing : patience wink.gif . This is perhaps killing some MP aspect of the game (I said : some biggrin.gif ), but if we get rid of impatient whiners, let them go playing Bf1942.<span id='postcolor'>

i can be patient but when i play games i play them to have fun, things like dissconnections toilet breaks can turn into a real pain meaining i miss out on a round, and have to wait, but the biggest problem is it turns away far to many ppl and leaves a waste land of empty servers.

Ghosts do not appear to my knowledge in Direct play mode, however, players dont want the direct play netcode on Res servers...take a look for yourself and see how many direct play res servers there are  confused.gif  Its better to have ghosts than no players at all...otherwise I would have swithed back to direct play a long time ago.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

"I think its an amazing thing for any game to stay fresh for a full year in the computer game world.

The only games I can think of that people played more than a year were:

- WarCraft 2 which last like a year or a little bit longer with the exp pack

- Civilization 1 which lasted like 8 million years

- Half Life which last 2 years I think"

<span id='postcolor'>

Oh? Well ppl in the flight sim community have been playing some games for a long time:

Falcon 3.0 since the 80's (that ladder went on for ever), Falcon 4.0 (since 98), Jane's ATF/Fighters Anthology (from 97 still running on Hyperlobby!wink.gif. Not to mention MSCFS and its updates.

Just because there isn't a lobby, a lot of older players still use direct connect MP because once you know a decent group of people you get the type of games you want, with no cheats or whiners smile.gif. Not to mention offline games (yes, I still have Tomb Raider 1 & 2, Steel Panthers II/III, Syndicate Wars, TA, X-Com Interceptor on my HDD running under XP).

After all, what we are 'discussing' here is not necessarily the quality of games, only the attention span of the average player (ooooh.. look.. a game with new texture and lighting effects). As an example, I managed to pick up a copy of Flanker 2.0 a month after it came out for Å1.00 because it was returned to Gamestation as "too difficult" and no-one there wanted it. You may have noticed a trend over the last 2-5 years to reduce the display area in game shops of PC games to almost nothing, and expanding the space for console games and videos/DVDs. New PC games are not always available in these shops (as the one copy they buy sells and they don't re-order).

We have lost Jane's, Microprose, DiD as developers, and only MS (pah) and SSI seem to be around. What can I say?

Waiting for Lock-On MAC to be finally released, but enjoying OFP:R for challenge, difficulty, fun and ALL vehicles. Also, I'm sick of WWII games, especially ones where you get to be Germans or US only.

The only other FPS I look forward to is from another bunch of Czechs, Vietcong (www.pterodon.cz ) which looks like great terrain for the type of sneaky antics asians like me love to play in smile.gif

Terra Nova was a god, except I was the only dude in the world who bought it. terra Nova is acctually the first incanation of OFP ever!! Massive maps, long range firefights multiple enemies over large maps and ordering teamates around. Well ahead of its time which I guess is why no one bought it. IDIOTS!!! FOOLS FOREVER!!!!! Infact I have every game every loves but no one bought Startopia, Giants, System Shock, Toonstruck etc

before terra nova, there was 'armored fist' and 'comanche'.

back then, the term voxel meant something... wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nyles @ Sep. 15 2002,21:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">back then, the term voxel meant something... wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

yeah, it meant "No 3D acceleration"

One thing inmho that is killing Opflash is that Bis wont support ASE for resitence multiplayer, so that means lamespy yay(which i would never install).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mustang60348 @ Sep. 13 2002,03:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Just a small note..MY entire discussion is about original OFP, not Resistance as I don't have it (and won't be purchasing it). But IMHO an extra $50 (that is what it costs here) for me is too much for what you get..I rented it locally to check it out.<span id='postcolor'>

50$? What currency? Surely not US$. I got my copy the very day it came out for only 27€ (at that time equal to about 24$ US), and from what I gatherered on the forums it sold for about 25-30 US$ everywhere. By now it should even be possible to find the first shops offering it at reduced prices.

And yes, there's a very good campaign delivered with Resistance, although I personally considered the new netcode and the increased graphics the most important features - and worth the money (never even played half of the campaign, too busy playing MP).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rhubarbman @ Sep. 17 2002,01:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing inmho that is killing Opflash is that Bis wont support ASE for resitence multiplayer, so that means lamespy yay(which i would never install).<span id='postcolor'>

u dont need to instal gspy its got an ingame browser, it tells u ping map ppl playin status and time left to go, its adquate. Whats killing it is the lack of ppl playin mp and the lack of jip.