tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment (A3) WiP Thread

Hey tpM,

I know it may be too early to ask this, but I am curious how sound from jets will be simulated.

In vanilla Arma, you can hear the jet coming, getting louder, passing, and getting quieter. This is essentially what it's like for a small propeller plane or helicopter to pass, but not a jet.

Will your mod simulate the speed of sound in relation to movement (i.e. the faster it goes, the closer to you it will be before you hear the sound)? (good reference here)

Will sonic booms be simulated for supersonic aircraft?

Cheers

This sound mod is all about weapons, not vehicles. As far as I know.

Well, any news? :j:

Previous versions of ACSE had vehicle weapon sounds and I think tpM said he was working on explosions and impact noises in an earlier comment too.

This sound mod is all about weapons, not vehicles. As far as I know.

Vehicles are part of the environment just as weapons are. It would be very disappointing to leave some parts out

could we get a update on progress? I know in a post a few weeks back you said you were shooting for a June 16th release date, any update on that?

Stay tuned.

^^ you know, that REALLY helps him work faster. Good idea hiding!

^^ you know, that REALLY helps him work faster. Good idea hiding!

I don't think that stone wall will hold up too well against your sheep mounted rockets.

"uhhhh, Kremator-1 this is bravo-2 JTAC, requesting CAS, instructions to follow:

ingress from waypoint tango

heading two-niner-seven

distance: 1200m

target elevation: 251m

target description: SpanishSurfer, behind hard cover

request sheep-mounted FFARs

egress to waypoint whisky."

Will there be the wizz and snaps when bullets are close? That is what sold me on SOS over JSRS. Now both developers have stopped updating. Regardless I've been waiting to use this one. Just hope you'll add that feature, it's nice to know when a bullet is close.

Will there be the wizz and snaps when bullets are close? That is what sold me on SOS over JSRS. Now both developers have stopped updating. Regardless I've been waiting to use this one. Just hope you'll add that feature, it's nice to know when a bullet is close.

That already happens in Arma.

That already happens in Arma.

I think what the guy was saying, and otherwise I am, is that it would be amazing if this mod expanded on the original sonic cracks a little, as those sounds too change in distance and when obstructed by hills etc.

I wanted to like SOS, I really did, but it just didn't work for me. The sounds were too much like a movie, not enough like what they really sound like. It is still a huge shame that both devs abandoned their projects though. I know JSRS's developer had a death in the family (as a result of a fatal car accident), so he is taking leave until further notice. He will most likely return eventually though.

But from what I've seen of this mod, there won't even be a decision between JSRS and SOS, this one seems far superior in every way.

On another related point, please please do not have this mod affect anything but the sound. I don't think it was planned but I just want to make sure. It is really frustrating when a mod that should only change the sound changes something else as well. Both JSRS and SOS are guilty of this; JSRS seems to nerf several weapons including M134 miniguns (I believe it is unintentional though, not sure what happened), and SOS attempts to "balance" most weapons, meaning that some weapons including sniper rifles and autocannons on vehicles can't even kill infantry in one shot.

If we want to change these things, we can make our own tweak mods and/or download other people's mods. Please keep this mod to sound effects only. Can't wait for the release!

Cheers,

the_Demongod

Edited by the_Demongod

@the_demongod

Why would either modify damage values, it just doesnt make sense.

Why would the SOS developer try to balance weapons, that isnt really "his place" to do in a soundmod. :confused:

And obviously this guy is going to keep his mod to sound only... this is the sound counterpart to ACE, all the other stuff (damage, weapons etc)

I assume will be handled by ACE, so this guy shouldn't feel any need to add extra useless crap (for a soundmod), he could just make it and hand it over to the ACE team.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. We came to get better sound. If we wanted to change something else about the game, we could do it ourselves by getting other mods that fix that issue.

I think this is something that accidentally appeared with the games patches. Yes both modify weapon effects and damage for me also.