tpM

Advanced Combat Sound Environment (A3) WiP Thread

So great to see someone continuing the sound mods and better then the last =]

I have one request/suggestion add death sounds. Like groans when someone dies, AI in this game currently feel lifeless.

Like what Red Orchestra 2 did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mICfWeAVg

Also will you be working on environment sounds, explosions or vehicles?

If you're dead you can't scream :O

but I know what you mean. Have like a gasp or grunt that quickly dies out as you do.

it would be great if arma brought back arma 2's great medical system, because then we could have soldiers scream/grunt as they lay wounded.

@the_demongod and mythlawlbear

That seems like a job for ACE, not ACSE.

Seems like something that would work well as a ACE module (hint hint) ;)

Seems pretty in-line with what they did for ace on arma 2, since this guy is working with the ACE team, this (as far as I know) is pretty much the ACE Soundmod, it is just standalone too.

So I suggest/speculate that is something ACE can do.

This is what I mean. You can hear it well at 2:08. I can not hear this effect in JSRS. It's not the crack but the bullets wizzing past you, and they sound different the closer they get.

This is what I mean. You can hear it well at 2:08. I can not hear this effect in JSRS. It's not the crack but the bullets wizzing past you, and they sound different the closer they get.

I know exactly what you mean. Watched a video where some guys were raiding an Opium compound from Taliban. Bullets start flying over as their preparing to pack up and leave, and you can hear not only cracks, but you can hear hot lead whizzing through the air. If they can add those, that would be amazing. Really gets people on their toes.

Yeah but I feel like if they add that, people will say its cheesy or fake sounding ,even if it isn't, because we might assume that somthing like bullets whizzing past is some "stupid Hollywood thing", even if maybe it isnt. I think you guys see what I mean right?

If done properly it could be great, but I feel like that even in real life, that type of sound could be so variable.

Also honestly, I feel like in speed of sound, the whizzes and everything else, they were not bad, but they were just one quality notch too low in every aspect that it kind of ruined it for me, I feel like they put in features that weren't good enough and I would've rather just not had, some of the bullet whizzes sounded nice and others sounded plain weird and just something I didn't want.

Regarding rounds whizzing sounds: would it be possible to attach a sound to the actual bullet that plays costantly and loops? Currently there is simply a sound that triggers when the bullet is close to you, which does not follow the actual bullet.

You can clearly notice this if you stop the time in splendid camera: just fire a tracer round, stop the time or slow it down a lot, get close to the tracer, and notice how there is a sound that plays when you get close to it. Now get a bit distant, then get close again. "Snap" sound plays again simply because the camera is near the bullet, not because the round is emitting it.

I think that implenting something like this would make the positional audio better too.

I hope I was clear enough, my english is not the best.

Regarding rounds whizzing sounds: would it be possible to attach a sound to the actual bullet that plays costantly and loops? Currently there is simply a sound that triggers when the bullet is close to you, which does not follow the actual bullet.

You can clearly notice this if you stop the time in splendid camera: just fire a tracer round, stop the time or slow it down a lot, get close to the tracer, and notice how there is a sound that plays when you get close to it. Now get a bit distant, then get close again. "Snap" sound plays again simply because the camera is near the bullet, not because the round is emitting it.

I think that implenting something like this would make the positional audio better too.

The snap youre thinking of is the supersonic "snap" which you can hear when a bullet is coming towards you at supersonic speed.

Its more than possible to attach a looping sound to a bullet / projectile, through SoundFly[].

Stay tuned. 06-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Sorry but when can we expect a new showcase? Just an advice, if mod creators feel unsure about releasing updates and new videos etc. avoid to use words or give hints that a release of a new video is imminent.

I have great respect for modders but you guys must be sincere to the community.

Am I the only one that feels ACSE is an unreleased overhyped mod that has not proven anything so far?

Why is everyone so excited?

Am I the only one that feels ACSE is an unreleased overhyped mod that has not proven anything so far?

Yes, yes you are very likely the only one to think that ACSE and tpM, its creator hasn't proven anything so far.

With that being said, please keep your posts meaningful and constructive. If you feel like you're not able to, it's often better to just refrain from posting. Thank you!

A few youtube-vids is one thing. Actual ingame results is another. Sorry if you felt my post was not meaningfull. I just don't see the point in hyping a mod so much. It's a perfect prerequisite for dissapointment.

With that said, tpM, please keep up the good work. Looking forward to trying it myself once it is released. I just hope it's as good as everyone seems to think.

A few youtube-vids is one thing. Actual ingame results is another .

the youtube vids documented the ingame results very well for me ;) And: do you know Acse for arma2? Not? What a shame :p

The snap youre thinking of is the supersonic "snap" which you can hear when a bullet is coming towards you at supersonic speed.

Its more than possible to attach a looping sound to a bullet / projectile, through SoundFly[].

No not really, the supersonic boom happens when the bullet flies *past* you, not towards you. It's easier to understand with this image:

sound1.jpg

Because the sound waves the bullet emits when flying are slower than the bullet, they form a single wave front that passes the observer simultanously (lots of noise at same time => bang).

Because the sound waves the bullet emits when flying are slower than the bullet, they form a single wave front that passes the observer simultanously (lots of noise at same time => bang).

And this once again raises my question: What happens ingame if a sound is attached to a supersonic object? Assuming that the sound is traveling at the speed of sound and perhaps also has a doppler effect. It would be interresting to hear what kind of effect that would produce.

No not really, the supersonic boom happens when the bullet flies *past* you, not towards you. It's easier to understand with this image:

http://www.firearmsid.com/Feature%20Articles/soundofbullets/media/sound1.jpg

Ah of course, I wasnt thinking correctly, since what I said would imply that you can hear sound being "created" by an object traveling >supersonic speed, before it has "passed" you ;)

Edited by soju

the youtube vids documented the ingame results very well for me ;) And: do you know Acse for arma2? Not? What a shame :p

Never used to run sound mods in Arma2 so I missed out on that.

there weren't many options for sound mods in Arma 2 (though, it was more than in Arma 3).

generally, people who used ACE would roll with ACE_SM. people without ACE would use JSRS.

initially, when picking a sound mod, I compared videos of JSRS, ACE_SM and HARCP DSS (previous iteration of ACSE), and the latter came out as a winner in that comparison. unfortunately, it hadn't been released at that point.

I stuck with ACE_SM until JSRS added reverberation to their sounds. but a lot of people were perfectly satisfied with ACE_SM and still are.

anyway, to drive the point home: I still think ACSE is the best sound mod of the ones currently available for Arma 3. just because I remember how JSRS sounded 2-3 years ago. and I still am not completely satisfied with it.

How can you say that ACSE is the best sound mod for Arma 3 when the mod isn't released yet? Assumptions are not good enough.

easy: I have ears. therefore I can distinguish sounds. so I don't need a full release to be able to tell if I like it or not. videos are more than enough. JSRS is a good mod, yes. but in my unprofessional unbiased objective opinion it sounds worse than ACSE where applicable (and I am only concerned with sounds of my gun)

OK I have no problem with that but in my case I want to test a product myself before I express an opinion. On youtube many games look amazing but as soon as you buy them you will often notice that the real product is much more average than reality.

Just want to make myself clear that this mod might be the best sound mod ever but I would like to wait and see an actual release(not sure if this will happen) because I understand that the modder had some other priorities in real life and that is of course fully respectable.

Hi,

First of all, apologies for the lack of video/update, but a little accident took me out of business for a few days, and I wasn't sure what I will be capable of in the following days. "Stay tuned" means "be patient, I'm still alive" and not "rape F5 because something's coming up in the next milliseconds". Though I have to admit I was a bit irresponsible regarding this subject. I didn't expect ppl being so eager about this. Sorry if it looked like I'm toying with your emotions (well, this might sound silly in this context, but I hope it's understandable).

I'm trying to answer most of your questions:

Will there be the wizz and snaps when bullets are close? That is what sold me on SOS over JSRS. Now both developers have stopped updating. Regardless I've been waiting to use this one. Just hope you'll add that feature, it's nice to know when a bullet is close.

Yes, I "recycled" the sonic crack sounds from ACE SM, and made new ones for bullet whizz. But these are not scripted, so they won't change depending on environment or distance. I'm sure it could be done, but I believe it would kill your PC.

On another related point, please please do not have this mod affect anything but the sound. I don't think it was planned but I just want to make sure. It is really frustrating when a mod that should only change the sound changes something else as well. Both JSRS and SOS are guilty of this; JSRS seems to nerf several weapons including M134 miniguns (I believe it is unintentional though, not sure what happened), and SOS attempts to "balance" most weapons, meaning that some weapons including sniper rifles and autocannons on vehicles can't even kill infantry in one shot.

If we want to change these things, we can make our own tweak mods and/or download other people's mods. Please keep this mod to sound effects only. Can't wait for the release!

Cheers,

the_Demongod

It won't. This is a soundmod, changing and adding sound related stuff only.

So great to see someone continuing the sound mods and better then the last =]

I have one request/suggestion add death sounds. Like groans when someone dies, AI in this game currently feel lifeless.

Like what Red Orchestra 2 did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57mICfWeAVg

Also will you be working on environment sounds, explosions or vehicles?

Yes, we'd like to add screaming SFX. zGuba already wrote a "draft" of this system. It won't trigger on headshots nor on high (lethal) damage hits to the torso. Not sure if it'll make it into the first release though. I don't have suitable sounds. Maybe we'll ask some community members with good mics to record some. :D

As for environment, vehicle and explosion sounds, the guys at Bohemia recorded the environment of Limnos, so I see no point adding different environment sounds. Vehicle sounds I don't know much about. IMO they are good already, they just need to be louder, and tanks need a more distinct sound for their tracks. Low priority at the moment. Explosions - grenades will be dynamic just like gunfire, but rockets, arty shells and other ordnance will be from ACE SM.

You can add looping sounds to projectiles, but these sounds don't have their speed modelled. Some time ago I experimented with a simple 8000 Hz sine wave attached to a bullet. It was interesting, but you could hear it before the gunshot, regardless of it's direction. It's BIS's thing to fix.

I hope you didn't mean that I'm the one hyping it. You gotta know that next to RL shit, the main showstopper is that I'm never satisfied with my sounds, so I always have to fix and remix and polish. I never thought or said it's the best sound mod or anything like that. Oh and YouTube compresses the videos (incl. audio), so if you liked it there I see no reason why you wouldn't like it even better when you'll play it.

---

I'm currently studying to be an electrician, which takes a considerable amount of my free time, but still, there are no days when I'm not spending at least some hours working on ACSE. I'm going to release it as soon as possible, but I don't want to give deadlines or ETAs. You'll know about it. Video is still in the works, you'll know about that also.

Stay tuned. :P

Thanks for the update tpM. Take your time and good luck with your studies.

Thanks for all your work.

It won't. This is a soundmod, changing and adding sound related stuff only.

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.