wolffy.au

ALiVE - Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

For persistence, is there a way to use a local data source?

Not today, its on our roadmap. What would be your preferred platform?

Not today, its on our roadmap. What would be your preferred platform?

Thanks, Tupolov.

Platform, in terms of OS? Probably Windows over Linux as this point. If I misinterpreted, and you meant the platform for holding the DB (like Apache's CouchDB), then any supported platform would be fine.

If one were to build a duplicate DB system locally (mirroring that which you have setup for ALiVE... if you end up providing the scripts), would it be possible to point the modules to communicate with that IP? Or, are there larger dependencies?

Thanks

Subunit - CQB is seeing Civ_F as the dominant faction in the area and therefore spawning more of them - it's actually intended that way so a 'cleared' or neutral town doesn't randomly start spawning military units again. Both Profiles and CQB have a cap to prevent excess amounts spawning in one place though, so shouldn't be a massive issue.

Why is it taking civilians into account? I thought CQB was supposed to be for combat units only? Dominant faction IMO should be the one with the largest military presence. If there isn't any, then no CQB units spawn.

Thanks, Tupolov.

Platform, in terms of OS? Probably Windows over Linux as this point. If I misinterpreted, and you meant the platform for holding the DB (like Apache's CouchDB), then any supported platform would be fine.

If one were to build a duplicate DB system locally (mirroring that which you have setup for ALiVE... if you end up providing the scripts), would it be possible to point the modules to communicate with that IP? Or, are there larger dependencies?

Thanks

So we are looking at a way to support both Linux and Windows for local data support. However, we are keen to keep momentum with War Room and drive folks to use the site for all mission data related stuff. War Room will be the primary place where you can review, edit and delete mission data. This allows us to provide a centrally administered system with minimal support hassle for everyone else.

For local data functionality, we are looking at possibly file based system for SP mode (on Windows), so that SP players can save ALiVE state to their local machine. For MP sessions we are looking at using local data systems for storing things like player/vehicle tracking data (stuff that could possibly be too huge for us to store on our servers). Again we want to provide a system that requires just a config file rather than having to setup and administer a DB.

We'd be interested in your thoughts on why you'd like a local data feature and what you would use it for.

Cheers

First and foremost ALiVE team: I applaud your awesome work--there is simply nothing else like it out there. This beats all the previous high water marks for dynamic 'campaigns' (e.g. the venerable Falcon 4).

Second, I really want to integrate ALiVE support for my eventual NATO-Pact realism mod (here)--it would be wicked. However, that raises a question:

Is there any way to customize the dynamic units that Placement/OPCOM modules spawn/task?

The reason I ask is because I'd like to be faithful to the historical force mixes used by the combatants (i.e. a Soviet motor rifle company comprised unit mix X, while a German recon group looked like Y). I know OPCOM will command units I explicitly place in the Editor--but that's too specific (i.e. it doesn't take advantage of the dynamic capabilities of the Placement module). Conversely the default "Force Weighting" dropdown is too general--it uses a baked-in force mix that I have no control over.*

If this is not currently possible, please consider it my one and only feature request: the ability to tweak the Placement script to customize the unit OOB without losing the dynamic spawning and tasking capabilities of the Placement & OPCOM modules. It doesn't need a fancy interface - just some part of the script to tweak manually would be fine.

Boy, am I looking forward to integrating with this fantastic mod...

*Obviously I have control over the mix via the faction's Groups config--a tank platoon has 3 tanks, a BMP carries X soldiers--but not at any level above that

Edited by Olds

There any way to disable or enable the modules "MILITARY PLACEMENT" or "MILITARY CIVILIAN PLACEMENT",

I have the intention to create a kind of "insurgency" and I would like to disable any of these modules by area (after the activation of a trigger i.e.), for not to make enemy units spawn in that area again.

Greetings and thanks.

We'd be interested in your thoughts on why you'd like a local data feature and what you would use it for.

Cheers

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. To be fair, since I haven't tried the persistence system yet, some of my comments below may not be relevant.

Generally, using a local system may be beneficial in the following situations:

- The data are too voluminous to be reasonably transferred remotely

- Fluctuations in (Internet) network conditions/speed may take more time loading/saving

- When trying to play on a locally connected LAN w/o Internet access

- One can continue playing even if ALiVE servers are down

Thoughts?

Cheers

I host a non-dedicated server for a small group, so we can't use the war room. Saving locally would greatly incentivise our putting time into creating more complex missions to use with ALiVE.

I have to say that the only gripe I have is with the issue ALiVE causes with saving. Unless I'm actually planning on playing a mission that requires ALiVE, I have to disable the addon as it seems to inhibit my ability to save even in non-ALiVE missions. Otherwise, ALiVE is great. The unlimited avenues for mission design boggles my mind and I find the whole ALiVE experience to be quite user friendly. Good job!

I host a non-dedicated server for a small group, so we can't use the war room. Saving locally would greatly incentivise our putting time into creating more complex missions to use with ALiVE.

Our group's in the same boat, we have 6 players on a dedicated server running off someone's home machine, where the IP changes pretty much every day and the server is only up while we're playing.

I have to say that the only gripe I have is with the issue ALiVE causes with saving. Unless I'm actually planning on playing a mission that requires ALiVE, I have to disable the addon as it seems to inhibit my ability to save even in non-ALiVE missions. Otherwise, ALiVE is great. The unlimited avenues for mission design boggles my mind and I find the whole ALiVE experience to be quite user friendly. Good job!

Hi Michael!

You can enable saving easily with https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/enableSaving --> just place in init.sqf or any units/object init field!

Thing is, that it will very likely cause out of mem crashes in SP and wont work with MP at all! For MP we already enabled DB AI & Player Persistence already, so you could register your server and save to the DB, just take a look at ALiVE WarRoom (alivemod.com) and register there, its very simple!

Always at your service

Highhead ;)

---------- Post added at 13:11 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

There any way to disable or enable the modules "MILITARY PLACEMENT" or "MILITARY CIVILIAN PLACEMENT",

I have the intention to create a kind of "insurgency" and I would like to disable any of these modules by area (after the activation of a trigger i.e.), for not to make enemy units spawn in that area again.

Greetings and thanks.

Hi Martial!

There are 2 ways of doing so!

The first and most simple one, is to not place the MIL/CIV placement modules and OPCOMs at all - only use CQB, it will - depending on the chosen settings - populate buildings also with patrols inbetween them and with the dominant faction (or static factions, as you wish)!

Second one would be to switch the setting for placement to "no placement" (IIRC the name of it), so only objectives for OPCOM will be created. If you then place groups manually, you can virtualise (= "profile") them with the SYS PROFILES module (just use the appropriate sync option on the module) and OPCOM will use those troops/assets! Additionally you can also use the CQB module of course!

There are also script snippets that may help you for certain trigger conditions on our ALiVE WIKI!

PS: Sorry, i understood what you wanted too late (lol) >>> Actually, if you don't use MIL Logistics, the units wont "respawn" anymore if they were killed once!

However OPCOM will try to capture back taken objectives if there any other troops left! So maybe it helps to just not use OPCOM! And set the Limiter on sys profiles to a high number!

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:11 ----------

Why is it taking civilians into account? I thought CQB was supposed to be for combat units only? Dominant faction IMO should be the one with the largest military presence. If there isn't any, then no CQB units spawn.

Yo mate!

Its determining the dominant faction (not side) in a certain radius, so it will spawn the most dominant faction!

If the factions side is friendly/enemy is depending on the setting/state of the mission - also CIVs can be hostile with the appropriate setFriend (https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setFriend) setting, if a mission maker wants to do so!

I still think making it an option (like "dominant side without civilians") would help you?

Edited by highhead

Local saving would be good even if just to remove the restrictions required from the server. Not everyone need to remotely save their data. Being able to save more data as it no longer needs to be sent across the network is a nice extra potential benefit.

As for civilians, anything that makes less unnecessary civilians spawn and potentially more sensible enemy spawns would be very useful and appreciated.

Another alternative is to be able to set the faction(s) of the CQB module to only spawn units for that faction(s) and also be able to choose if faction presence in the area is a prerequisite for spawning them.

In any case, there is little point spawning civilians in a CQB mode when those civilians aren't hostile to everyone and are already spawned in a more sensible fashion by the civilian module.

be able to set the faction(s) of the CQB module to only spawn units for that faction(s)

just use the "static" setting instead of dominant faction

be able to choose if faction presence in the area is a prerequisite for spawning them.

i will take a look, i like the idea

In any case, there is little point spawning civilians in a CQB mode when those civilians aren't hostile to everyone

this was from times when there was no CIV module, was pretty ok, but may be obsolete now

ensure you have the latest version of ALiVE (re-download) and latest version of A3 (ensure file integrity), somethings out of sync there!

A3 is 1.14.116216 and ALIVE is ALiVE_0.6.5.140430(downloaded 2x). is this ok?

A3 is 1.14.116216 and ALIVE is ALiVE_0.6.5.140430(downloaded 2x). is this ok?

Hi!

You dont have the latest A3 mate - you should update, 1.14 was like 90ies :), i dont think you even got ZEUS!

and @ALiVE_0.6.5.1404301.7z is latest and you also need @CBA my friend!

Then it should be fine!

just use the "static" setting instead of dominant faction

With that setting, will they still spawn if there is no presence of that faction in the area? Or will it detect there is no enemy presence in the area and therefore not spawn any CQB units either?

Hi!

You dont have the latest A3 mate - you should update, 1.14 was like 90ies :), i dont think you even got ZEUS!

and @ALiVE_0.6.5.1404301.7z is latest and you also need @CBA my friend!

Then it should be fine!

Ok. i cant find wich version is the newest(currently i dont have inet on my gaming pc) for manually download. Zeus i dont need(for offline playing) and the CBA is aktiv too. To bad, then i cant play your campaign?!

super,

only thing is, when can i post a new thread...have a problem, cant pm or start new thread, so ffs what to do?

I can't seem to get the CP and CQB modules to work for some reason. I have a marker called CIV, which is designated as TAOR in the CP and CQB modules. All other modules seem to work, the markers disappear and units/objectives spawn.

The Civ marker stays on the map, and the CP module does not seem to take effect.

Am I doing something wrong?

I can't seem to get the CP and CQB modules to work for some reason. I have a marker called CIV, which is designated as TAOR in the CP and CQB modules. All other modules seem to work, the markers disappear and units/objectives spawn.

The Civ marker stays on the map, and the CP module does not seem to take effect.

Am I doing something wrong?

Hey instagoat!

Doesnt seem obviously wrong tbh, can you upload your mish to our tracker? i will then take a look!

PS are you using a special faction for them?

Hey instagoat!

Doesnt seem obviously wrong tbh, can you upload your mish to our tracker? i will then take a look!

PS are you using a special faction for them?

Unfortunately I can't access devheaven, it's giving me an error (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_unknown_cert).

I have upload the text of the mission.sqm in full here: http://pastebin.com/aav6S7QS

Getting it ingame should only be a copy-paste job, but I still apologize for only having this method to give it to you. I have checked my markers and modules again, and it's either so obvious that I am completely missing it, or something weird is happening with my game.

I am not using any mods apart from CBA and Alive with this.

Unfortunately I can't access devheaven, it's giving me an error (Error code: sec_error_ocsp_unknown_cert).

I have upload the text of the mission.sqm in full here: http://pastebin.com/aav6S7QS

Getting it ingame should only be a copy-paste job, but I still apologize for only having this method to give it to you. I have checked my markers and modules again, and it's either so obvious that I am completely missing it, or something weird is happening with my game.

I am not using any mods apart from CBA and Alive with this.

Thanks mate! Will copypaste, just give a bit since its getting over 30deg today and i need to jump into some pool! Should be ready by tomorrow eve :)

thanks again

PS: its very likely something simple (hopefully :))

PPS: can you try to place down the ALiVE require module, it ensures that startup happens behind loadingscreen, so its not done during simulation!

Edited by highhead