sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod V 2.6 Release

Nice work!

On the first picture, may someone recreate the Apocalypse Now assault on the village?

It would fit perfectly well!

Hey great work on that mod. Glad to see it is still being developed further. Just digged up 2.5 again and created an MSO on Lowlands which is unfortunatly the only playable map atm due to horrible performance drops on the other maps.

I didn't browse through the last 33 pages so I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but what is the status on those fps drops in heavily vegetated areas? Are the low res weapon textures and models being attended?

is version going to be in a form of a Patch or Full mod?

Well each subsequent release we basically overwrite the previous.

2.6 will be no different. Especially this release with all the new content,fixes and enhancements 2.5 will NOT be compatible. However , older 2.5 user made missions should still work though.

This release is the biggest,most comprehensive and polished version and to date.

So the direct answer to your question is : A full mod

Hey great work on that mod. Glad to see it is still being developed further. Just digged up 2.5 again and created an MSO on Lowlands which is unfortunatly the only playable map atm due to horrible performance drops on the other maps.

You need to drop the terrain detail to low and turn off antialasing which does really tax your system for little or no visual improvement.

Are the low res weapon textures and models being attended?

Yes about 98% of our weapons have been replaced and updated thanks to kind donations by our good friend Vilas . Remakes our Mas 36 and mat 49 made by deman.

Von Kunderberg has made a new DP28 which looks magical , still don't have my hands on it yet ;)

Edited by SGT_SAVAGE

@Dar...the performance question is a good question...after all the bug fixes our mod runs much better then before! but mate...it's 2014 and i think the most peoples have better hardware [graCa.] as the last years...its not easy to build a jungle map and i mean a real looking jungle and become fps like on takistan...we do our best to become a better performance. btw u played 2.5? the cao bang map has very good fps!

@Unsung Team:

Thanks for the response. I'm looking forward to 2.6 and the new models and maps. Can't wait for it!

On the performance issues: I'm using a GTX660 Ti OC with 2GB memory, i7 3770, 16GB Ram and a special SSD only for the Arma Games. Furthermore I'm using every perfomance-gaining trick that is availabe (command line and .cfg files). I should be able to run the game smooth (which it does, in most of the cases if you don't take Zargabad downtown into account). Still the Unsung maps from 2.5 all have their fps drops to ~15 in the jungles or vegetaded fields, even with View Distance down to 1500, which is half my normal. I'm running Unsung with Ace, Blastcore, JSRS and a few other mods but that shouldn't be a problem.

Anyway I'm gonna run some tests on Cao Bang.

EDIT: Testing done. ~17fps when walking around at "Lang-tra", View Distance 2500, All settings maxed out as usual, no AI but me and my squad around. No objects placed, no modules, nothing.

Edited by Dar

phu bai and mekong delta are small maps mate...you don't need a view distance from 1500! next thing is when u walk on my maps in the jungle...u can be happy to get a view distance from 100 :-D to get better fps i must delete tons of vegetation and this will let the maps look boring...so when u have trouble the only way is to switch down ur performance settings...btw...for me and my pepZ when we play unsung we have fog and sometimes rain and play oft in the dark with flairs...not to become the best performance...to become the best play feeling and atmosphere;)

Looking forward to these maps. But 2.5 maps are alle huge and have open fields. A view distance below 1000 doesn't make sense.

But I get your point from an editors view. I've build jungles (not in the arma dimension of course) as a map maker for other games in the past and know that you can't always get performance and the good look.

And yes, I'm using rain and storms and fogs often, too. But sometimes I just want to see a sunset on a vast open field :)

@Unsung Team:

Testing done. ~17fps when walking around at "Lang-tra", View Distance 2500, All settings maxed out as usual, no AI but me and my squad around. No objects placed, no modules, nothing.

Strange , I'm running it at 1500 everything max except the terrain detail to low and antialasing disabled... and i'm getting 35 -40

I'm running 2.6 on a MSI Gt 70 , i7 3610QM , gtx675m, 12gig ram

Your machine a little better than mine so I dunno what the issue is there.However, 2.6 is better optimised than 2.5 but don't expect massive increases just the same.

i set default viewdistances in my evolution missions as follows:

cao bang: 3000

lowlands: 2500

SEA: 2000

Ia Drang Valley: 2000 (can CTD on 3000+)

Phu Bai: 1000 (dueto density of objects, and little need for anything above 400m)

in the missions i also set airviewdist a bit higher (part of mission parameters - it changes when you board jet/heli) and ground vdist a bit lower

generally don't get much lag unless the RPT is spamming 2Gb of data - check your RPT size and delete frequently.

@Savage: That is really strange. With 1500 VD on Cao Bang at Lang tra I get between 28 and 40 fps (AA set to High, Terrain detail to low). 3 men placed. Me and two AI. Once I placed like 40 AI and let them fight each other, the performance dropped below 20fps and even with view distances like 500 it was max 22fps. Unplayable. But that isn't just on Unsung maps, it happens on Chernarus when there are many AI active, ist happens on Zargabad when I walk around the downtown even on takistan the fps drops frequently when a large battle is going on. It just happens very often on unsung maps. I can play nearly every game on ultra setting but Arma just hates me and my computer.

What is even more strange ist that you get that performance using the GT70. I have exactly the same gaming notebook by MSI lying to my left but I gave up trying Arma on that one long time ago due to horrible fps. I must have done something wrong... Anyway not that it would matter atm.

Btw I found a simple solution to my problem: the Dynamic View Distance mod is really helpful.

Edited by Dar

Compare things all you want, but for a JUNGLE map like these you aren't going to see anything that high. I would say expect mid-20's framerates for big missions. Just the way the Arma engine works. Hopefully the A3 engine will help but not sure by how much based on forum posts.

Hey I didn't see it in any screens you posted or anything but maybe I missed it...do you guys have any carrier based helicopters in the mod (ie SH-3) cuz it seems like you guys have quite a lot of naval aviation assets in this mod, just curious of there is a carrier borne helicopter?

do you guys have any carrier based helicopters in the mod (ie SH-3)

Actually, for the Viet War more relevant would be UH-2A/B/C Seasprite which had been using from 1964 till 1972. They started using SH-3 late in 1973 AFAIK.

ok here's a sneak peek at few updates from the engineering shop this week

F100D super sabre with improved loadout options

f100dnew1_zps8259e8b6.jpg

note working optional fuel tanks, rocketpods and TER's, and removed incorrect quad MER from belly station

f100dnew2_zps31b51a91.jpg

and same on the A1 skyraider - folding wings and all 15 stations now working, and Suu14 CBU dispensers with WP/frag/HE CBU bomblets, optional hydras and fuel, twin SUU11 minigun pods and a raft of other kit authentic to the sandy

a1new1_zps9c4c7c19.jpg

well put it this way, when attacking some columns of NVA trucks - with 5 skyraiders - testing the new CBU dispensers - they shot us all down so I had to put the test mission planes on allowdamage false!

warbirds2_zpsc6181c85.jpg

the NVA have a lot of new kit, and the VC have a lot of stuff you won't realise until you bump into it.

Edited by eggbeast