Sign in to follow this  
kiory

L85A2 Release

Tested the weapon, amazing model and scope. However, why does the SUSAT scope have a 10x magnification ingame? Isnt it supposed to have 3-4x? or is that some balancing thing to match it with the RCO optics?

For some reason the L85 breaks the ability to add attachements to the GM6 Lynx, any ideas why this is happening?

I'll be prepping for another variant soon, just out of curiosity, which variant would serve more useful to you guys?

I'll be prepping for another variant soon, just out of curiosity, which variant would serve more useful to you guys?

Grenade Launcher.

My preference would also be the GL version... then the LSW, RIS, and stubby RIS. Then my friend you would deserve a medal.. or 5 :).. keep trying to catch your twitch stream to see how it's done.. I literally have no idea how it all goes together lol

Grenade Launcher.

Yeah, gonna have to go with the GL variant.

Adds functionality and it's something new for you to learn!

GL added would be top mate.

Maybe further down the line an L86 with a cheeky L22A2 for good measure :p

Thanks for the work so far mate quality stuff!

I would like RIS version then Gl version then L86, as I would love to see stalkers units with the more modern and fitting L85 varients than the older L85's!

I would like RIS version then Gl version then L86, as I would love to see stalkers units with the more modern and fitting L85 varients than the older L85's!

dude. theyve been using this l85 for some time now dude

Exactly, so i wanted to have a RIS version of his improved L85's if he can't thicken even more his old ones so that they may be used in stalkers units as they represent a current time afghanistan style, where L85's equipped with RIS are the norm in combat.

As cool as having a UGL variant would be, what the game needs more of is other options for auto rifles. I would love to see the L86 LSW, and as icing a suppressor. This would make your mod a shoe-in for my community's mod-set.

As cool as having a UGL variant would be, what the game needs more of is other options for auto rifles. I would love to see the L86 LSW, and as icing a suppressor. This would make your mod a shoe-in for my community's mod-set.

As far as I'm aware the real life (non-video game) L85 cant use a suppressor, the barrel is made with the flash suppressor already attached, and therefore cant be separated. The LSW is almost completely out of service now due to the Minimi and Gimpy, no need for it, however it was sometimes used as a marksman rifle (allegedly, no evidence but word of mouth) until the new L129A1 was brought into service.

As far as I'm aware the real life (non-video game) L85 cant use a suppressor, the barrel is made with the flash suppressor already attached, and therefore cant be separated.

You mean like this one?

4QKNAz2.jpg

page 4: http://www.rm45.com/library/sa80.pdf

Plenty of reference material in there for you too Kiory.

Edited by Scarecrow398

The LSW is almost completely out of service now due to the Minimi and Gimpy, no need for it, however it was sometimes used as a marksman rifle (allegedly, no evidence but word of mouth) until the new L129A1 was brought into service.

a bit of info for your from good ol' Wikipedia (referenced of course): "The L86A2 also overcame efforts to replace it with a belt-fed machine gun. British troops were issued with L110A1 (minimi) machine guns to add suppressive fire out to 300 metres, but it only supplemented the L86A2, which was retained for long-range accuracy out to 600 metres." ref :http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/SA80.htm

edit: and thank you Scarecrow, awesome reference:

Edited by Shredeemer

but it only supplemented the L86A2, which was retained for long-range accuracy out to 600 metres." ref :http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/SA80.htm

Little outdated since they filled that role with the L129A1 as a DMR from 2010 onwards.

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=907

And on the Wiki so 'quoted'

The primary use of the LSW has shifted to that of a marksman's weapon within many infantry sections, capable of providing extremely accurate precision fire at ranges of over 600 m. The role of a light support weapon is instead filled with the L110A1 FN Minimi which is a belt fed weapon with a quick-change barrel.

Either way, doesn't look to be used by anyone anymore due to it being obsolete.

Edited by Scarecrow398

The L86A2 is far from obsolete. It's reputation is based on the fact that it's heavier than the rifle, and because of its length is a little unwieldy so lazy lads don't want to carry it. It's traditionally been called the Crow Cannon for this reason because it always used to be issued to the section FNG.

However, in the hands of an experienced rifleman it's a very effective weapon out to 6-800m and even beyond. Fitted with the new spectre lightweight day sight it's actually a tasty bit of kit.

The L129 was an urgent operational requirement for Afghanistan but it isn't on general issue to the whole Army, it's use is pretty much reserved for the Afghan theatre and it's not guaranteed it'll be adopted as a permanent weapon system across the board.

As such, the L86A2 is still used to bridge the gap between range of the L110 and the GPMG and L115. It's generally issued one per section now.

It'll remain in service for a whole yet, especially as a part of new Fight Light doctrine.

You need it and the UGL to round out this mod, which is excellent.

really, it boils down to this, I don't really care what comes first, whether it be the L85A2 w/L123A2 UGL, the L86A2 LSW (w/60rd mags pls), or the L85A2 "Mini", (all of which should be in the finished product, impo)... as long as they all arrive eventually with a supressor for the weapon (assuming that the vanilla 5.56 suppressor can't be made to work), I WILL be adopting this for use, at least, in my section of the community I'm in.

I love what you've done with it already, Kiory, and am waiting with baited breath for the next update. :)

For reference, the L85A2 CAN be fitted with a suppressor if fitted with the surefire flash eliminator.

There's also a version for the rifle fitted with UGL.

Never seen it fitted to either the LSW (because of the outrigger/bipod setup) or to the carbine.

As far as I'm aware the real life (non-video game) L85 cant use a suppressor, the barrel is made with the flash suppressor already attached, and therefore cant be separated.

Not true. The flash hiders are a bit of a bugger to remove but they are removable.

~2006/2007 the MoD contracted Surefire to develop a flash hider for the L85A2 based upon the design of B.E. Meyers' 5.56mm flash hider, but capable of accepting their quick-release FA556 suppressors. This was originally a requirement for Special Forces Support Group but eventually the reduced muzzle signature was seen as beneficial to regular forces deployed on operations too. Some additional changes were made to the design to allow the flash hider to accept the standard SA80 bayonet before it went on issue along with the new railed handguards.

Surefire sell the SA80 flash hider and suppressor under the names FHSA80SA and FA556SA respectively.

Surefire also developed the FH556-212A flash hider for the SAS/SBS's L119A1s in conjunction to the one for the SA80, so that both weapons could use the same suppressor. They also make the FH for the L129A1 because it uses a suppressor in the Sniper Support Weapon role.

The old flash hiders are retained mostly because the new ones don't accept the in-service Blank-Firing Adaptor, so weapons coming back to the UK have the Surefire FH removed and the old one screwed back on. Surefire did develop a BFA to go with the new flash hiders but it didn't work to the standard required by the MoD.

As others have said, L129A1 sharpshooter rifle is still a UOR. The MoD didn't buy enough rifles to provide a permanent sharpshooter capability for all infantry rifle sections outside of operations in Afghanistan. The UK's Future Infantry Soldier Technology (FIST) programme is still touting the L86A2 as a standard section-level DMR until the UK considers purchasing a new rifle, but it doesn't change the fact that the LSW is a bit shit and nobody really wants to use it.

As far as I'm aware the real life (non-video game) L85 cant use a suppressor, the barrel is made with the flash suppressor already attached, and therefore cant be separated. The LSW is almost completely out of service now due to the Minimi and Gimpy, no need for it, however it was sometimes used as a marksman rifle (allegedly, no evidence but word of mouth) until the new L129A1 was brought into service.

Yeah, the I think a UGL varient and the RIS are first, as we don't have proper dpm infantry that can use the l86 and even the special forces dont l85s thay much so suppresors even if possible wouldn't be that important.

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Ignore what i wrote earlier, but anyway why no one wants a RIS version? Yes we have some but they are incredibly thong and now no one uses them, so now we have to use these new old styled versions with stalkers units, also while the L86 is used it is not as commonly used as the UGL l85, L85 carbine and more, also who uses a l85 with a silencer? Special forces mainly use C8s + others so i doubt silenced l85s are common even in the realm of silenced weapons. I say RIS and UGL L85s come in next update, there you have all you need for a current and future british infantry (stalkers and arma-verse) next comes L85 carbine as I it isn't needed as much due to the lack of british vehicles, also at the same time the l86, and if you say that weight isn't a issue with it, considering the l85 is 5kg and the l86 much more which is more than it should be (how can you make it weigh so much?) then you haven't seen what a DMR should weigh.

I wouldn't mind seeing a desert camo version of the guns to reduce its signature in desert ops, plus gives more variety too.

royal-marines.jpg

source: http://www.tactical-life.com/magazines/special-weapons/royal-marine-commandos/

and the one the chap crouching on the left's holding:

40626_417185423612_625933612_4808049_2187658_n.jpg

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?111558-L85-camo

nice work!!

would people like StalkerGb and the other british army modders have permission to use these weapons with their mods if they wanted??