TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

@Penguin - I have not seen detailed intel on BI's MFD's on announced planes, but we already have plans to make both jets equipped with nicer MFD's. Saul is slowly updating FA18's cockpit to a HD level, so eventually [not soon] we will get all vanilla + some nice features installed in these bad boys.

@Neptune - as for new features then ATM its a no mate. We have RL, families, work and once in a while we like to play with our toys. So all that has been confirmed so far will eventually make in to the game. As for fixing and updating existing features then yes feedback is appreciated and discussion on how to improve is open. So on this subject please give me more detail on:

- HUD pitch ladders and FPM giving correct info. (Pitch ladders drift and FPM is NOT really pointing into the direction of flight. Its 1-2 degrees too high)

- Lead edge flaps move down when pressing the stick. Should pitch down when PULLING the stick.

The second one was discussed before and we all agreed that lead flaps are animated with angle of attack [at least the way how game engine handles it] so now you want me to change it back?

@Chorltles - steam is not my native environment mate, so bigger chance catching me here on these forums. And as for Tutorial, once it will be fully done I hope it will help someone to begin creating some cool planes we can enjoy as a community in our favourite game.

- Lead edge flaps move down when pressing the stick. Should pitch down when PULLING the stick.

Leading edge flaps IRL move down when your AoA is too high or when you are using flaps. They SHOULDN'T MOVE when PULLING OR PUSHING the stick.

Incorrect Izaiak.

Like with the F-16 (I have been in training for), the leading edge flaps increase the critical Alpha keeping the airfoil from stalling. In Fly by wire fighter jets the system gradually extends the LEF's as AoA increases. Obiously the LEF's will also extend in a Landing configuration.

When does AoA increase? Yes when flying level and slow. AND In any turn. So in hard turns, AoA will increases tremendously. A non-fly by wire aircraft can therefor stall even at high speeds. You can even stall an aircraft by simply pulling the nose up hardenough. Pulling the stick, moves the elevator up, increasing AoA...passing critical AoA will stall the airfoil.

So @Spartan: Yes, the LEF's should be animated with AoA. But it's done wrongly now. How it is done now (atleast last time I checked) as AoA increases the LEF's go up. Again: this is wrong. As AoA increases the LEF's should go down.

Will PM you so we can get in touch.

What you are saying is what i wrote (in a very simple way i guess, sorry for that) .... it is not because you move the stick, it depend of the AoA. :)

I hope there is a way for Spartan and his friend, to improve the flight model by all possible things to do.

Will you release a training version of the FA-18F ? The back seat could see the HUD of the front seat to allow training.

Can't wait your update with JDAM, gps bomb will be nice.

What you are saying is what i wrote (in a very simple way i guess, sorry for that) .... it is not because you move the stick, it depend of the AoA. :)

I hope there is a way for Spartan and his friend, to improve the flight model by all possible things to do.

Will you release a training version of the FA-18F ? The back seat could see the HUD of the front seat to allow training.

Can't wait your update with JDAM, gps bomb will be nice.

Ah then we got that straight. :) I really have no clue what Arma's engine can and cannot do.

Since there is no reply to my PM Ill post the problem with the HUD here.

1. The FPM should point exactly where the aircraft is going. So putting the FPM on the 0-pitchladder should give you a level flight. But it doesnt. The aircraft decents. So noe we have to place the FPM above 0 to maintain level flight.

2. This may be the cause of #1: The pitch ladder doesnt give you a correct visual representation of angles. This is most obvious with the 0-pitchladder; when you pitch up or down you see the 0-ladder moving up and down aswell, thhus not showing where the horizon really is anymore. So it works more like a See-through ADI rather than an actual HUD. This renders the pitch ladder basically useless.

It's more like a See-through ADI now.

P.S. I noticed the LEFs have allready been fixed with the latest update. Excellent.

Acronyms:

HUD - Heads Up Display

FPM - Flight Path Marker

ADI - Attitude Director Indicator

LEF - Leading Edge Flaps

Edited by 87th_Neptune
Added Acronyms

@Neptune- My only comment outside of development, stop speaking like a fighter pilot. If you are going to have acronyms please add a comment as to what they are so we don't look at you like a dog when it's confused. I'm prior military and even I am having trouble keeping up.

Also we will be looking into hud updates in due time. We have noticed that huds in the dev build are working strikingly well with the new aircraft. We will be working on this. Lots of things to do and not a lot of time.

I just installed the mod and I am having an issue whilst I turn the engines on, the plane starts rolling forward with out me doing anything. It speeds up to about 59km per hour and keeps building slowly. When I stop/slow down, it will only slow till about 3km and then it appears to be fighting the breaking of the F-18. I figured it was just my joystick, however, it still does it with mouse and key board.

My problem:

Start mission

Now in aircraft (F-18)

Engines turn on

Speed starts to approximately 59km and builds.

If I attempt to break, I can only SLOW to 4km.

I tried a search on the forums and nothing relevant comes up.

Thanks in advance.

what's wrong with the old one?

nothing,it's great but a little "into the future" thingy wont harm anyone,am i right ,beside the new BUG's look is beautiful

what's wrong with the old one?

Nada, the advanced super hornet is a sort of proposal to the navy for a cheaper solution to the F-35, though it has some nice innovations that I think should be explored on the general airframe such as the conformal fuel tanks.

Instead of mounting weapons on the wings it uses an enclosed weapons bay http://www.journal-aviation.com/actualites/images/ADV_SUPERHORNET_2.jpg, more electronic warfare equipment, better engines and supposedly a "next gen cockpit"

http://www.boeing.com/AeroIndia2011/pdf/Aero_India_Super_Hornet_Briefing.pdf

http://s017.radikal.ru/i435/1111/5c/e560d882f7d1.jpg

http://aviationintel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/F-18-Next_Generation_Cockpit.jpg

It would require a bit of a redesign for the addon, we're talking modelling, unwrapping, redesigning the whole front of the cockpit, mapping and texturing that and then deciding how to handle the giant display.

Edited by NodUnit

Nada, the advanced super hornet is a sort of proposal to the navy for a cheaper solution to the F-35, though it has some nice innovations that I think should be explored on the general airframe such as the conformal fuel tanks.

Instead of mounting weapons on the wings it uses an enclosed weapons bay http://www.journal-aviation.com/actualites/images/ADV_SUPERHORNET_2.jpg, more electronic warfare equipment, better engines and supposedly a "next gen cockpit"

http://www.boeing.com/AeroIndia2011/pdf/Aero_India_Super_Hornet_Briefing.pdf

http://s017.radikal.ru/i435/1111/5c/e560d882f7d1.jpg

http://aviationintel.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/F-18-Next_Generation_Cockpit.jpg

It would require a bit of a redesign for the addon, we're talking modelling, unwrapping, redesigning the whole front of the cockpit, mapping and texturing that and then deciding how to handle the giant display.

I would really love to see that. I think its cool that the other manufactures besides Lockheed are trying to stay up front without resorting to a billion dollar flying brick. McDonnal Douglas is trying to do the same with the F-15 Silent Eagle:

@Neptune- My only comment outside of development, stop speaking like a fighter pilot. If you are going to have acronyms please add a comment as to what they are so we don't look at you like a dog when it's confused. I'm prior military and even I am having trouble keeping up.

Im sorry. I thought, since in the Flightsim community these are very well known parts of the cockpit, you guys would know aswell. Bad assumption from my end.

Edited my post.

I just installed the mod and I am having an issue whilst I turn the engines on, the plane starts rolling forward with out me doing anything. It speeds up to about 59km per hour and keeps building slowly. When I stop/slow down, it will only slow till about 3km and then it appears to be fighting the breaking of the F-18. I figured it was just my joystick, however, it still does it with mouse and key board.

My problem:

Start mission

Now in aircraft (F-18)

Engines turn on

Speed starts to approximately 59km and builds.

If I attempt to break, I can only SLOW to 4km.

I tried a search on the forums and nothing relevant comes up.

Thanks in advance.

Development build or stable? I have only noticed this issue in development build.

Im sorry. I thought, since in the Flightsim community these are very well known parts of the cockpit, you guys would know aswell. Bad assumption from my end.

Edited my post.

No worries, everyone seems to call the same things by different names these days. For example what you called a FPM or Flight Path Marker I know as a Velocity Vector. Anywho, back to modeling amazing things.

Edited by Saul

Women yes, booze, not enough. As John stated, the recent Arma patch and real life events grinded things to a halt. Many bugs to be fixed so if all goes well we will be seeing a release this coming weekend.

Looking forward to the update with the F18, hopefully out today.

VERSION 1.6 RELEASE

Refer to original post and README file for all major information.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

Waiting for ARMAHOLIC

[thank's Foxhound, much appreciated]

Change Log:

v1.6 - Updated 3-17-14

- full pilots manual added

- GPS targeting system implemented

- fixed the possibility of “backwards flyingâ€

- MFD’s should not flicker on some graphics cards as reported earlier

- tweaked missile box [Air-to-Air weapons can lock on air targets only]

- tweaked pilots FOV

- HRP Track IR support added [thanks to Feint]

- whole “service menu†is optimized to A3 standard

- thermal imaging textures added on E and F versions

- pilots hand animations added

- some small RVMAT fixes

- HUD slightly adjusted, should be more accurate

- fixed pilots uniform issue

- afterburner tweaked [less effective on ground, for more realistic take off]

- fixed tail hook animation error landing on USS Nimitz [by Jdog and TeTeT]

Enjoy and Good Hunting!!!

@Fuller - Thanks mate.

@All - GPS targeting system is something we are trailing right now and we will look to improve it in near future. Concept itself is nothing new - might be familiar from A2 when Franze and Feint introduced this tech. What we would like to add with feature updates is a communication between multiple aircraft and JTAC on ground sharing these GPS target coordinates for more interesting gameplay. Also MFD's will receive some polish - looking how nice BI done new aircraft models we have some work to do to catch up. This is definitely not a final version of these bad boys. And thanks for feedback and support.

Spartan out.

Thank You to everyone involved in this staple addon and expertly crafted contribution to our community. These aircraft will continue to be put to good use ;D :pc: :thumb:

Edited by robowilso

No worries, everyone seems to call the same things by different names these days. For example what you called a FPM or Flight Path Marker I know as a Velocity Vector. Anywho, back to modeling amazing things.

I got it. ;) So let's do a mini-course on flight instruments here on the forum:

A flight path marker gives the actual vector of the aircraft's flight path. Which incorperates wind, derived from the INS (Inertial Navigation System).

This is often mistaken for the velocity vector. The velocity vector is a term for the aircrafts direction of velocity through a static air mass. Thus, wind is not incorperated in this since wind is nothing more than movement of the air-mass it's self.

With the INS inoperative, the system will be unable to know it's horizontal and vertical other than what it gets from the pitot-static system and AoA (Angle of Attack) indicator movement, so the FPM will merely be a visual representation of the AoA indicator.

There for Velocity Vector is technically a bad term. ;)

Looking forward to try this update! Great job again!

I'll just PM whatever I find for you guys to do with it whatever you want. I don't want to be a public nitpick. :D

Nice work chaps, will be on holic soon enough!

Many thanks.