TeTeT

F/A-18 Super Hornet and Su-35S Flanker E

This will also work for flight sims like DCS and Falcon 4.0, with the Mk-82. You do want the release table with Feet and knots as reference.

PM me if you want it ;)

Edited by 87th_Neptune

I have DCS/Strike Fighters 2 but I stick with the pipper and never been off :D, thanks though.

Saul or John_spartan, I'm either missing something or I can't use the jet E or F weapons in single-player for some odd reason. I may have missed something in this topic but the E version worked fine on multiplayer during testing of a mission. My stick is properly configured but I can't lock targets with the D model Mav.

This is what I see in my HUD single-player wise:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0rq6hwcc3wwx63/arma3%202014-02-18%2023-47-35-29.jpg

After checking with the aircraft again it seems that upon initialization, the default loadout works. However when you rearm that's when the above image appears, no lock circle or no ability to lock targets. And this is repeatable.

Patch level is 1.10

Edited by EricJ

@Neptune, Great work! Nice that you've taken the time to write this manuel. But I'm still sceptical about the accuracy of the physics though. That doesn't mean you're manual is incorrect, because most likely the bombs in Arma behave according to RV laws and measurements which makes sense.

But like you said youreself, bombs dropped at low speeds behave weird. And this is the core of the problem. Because Arma doesn't simulate lifting bodies accurately, this problem resinates through the entire range of speeds and altitudes bombs are dropped at. Eventhough at higher speeds and altitudes that might be harder to confirm, or could even be regarded as abscent: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171179-Bomb-physics/page3

Any news on the PiP? Seems like the Comanche and Wildcat have a every frame updating PiP meaning no flickering in SLI/Xfire AFR mode and looks very smooth.

My main office is sitting in a F/A-18 E so I would love the extra fps gained by using alternate frame rendering and still have the mirrors functioning =)

Addendum to the previous post. It seems that after loading JDAMs for some test bombing eventually on the E version the Mavs started to work, so not sure what the issue was.

And is it possible to add the ATFLIR to the E version as well?

Edited by EricJ

Did some bomb dropping testing and found out that it is possible to get better results with a JDAM

First lock the target:

bomb1.jpg

Select JDAM and dive right at the target:

http://562.50megs.com/Arma3/bomb2.jpg

And when the diamond appears on the target drop a bomb:

http://562.50megs.com/Arma3/bomb3.jpg

Pull up and:

http://562.50megs.com/Arma3/bomb4.jpg

This puts you about 590m above the deck so.... be careful in mountainous regions. And the magic question is can the range for the lock be increased so you don't fly into the ground?

Edited by EricJ

You can be at any altitude you want with the JDAM

- Approach the target and lock it up.

- choose a release altitude

- fly away, atleast 6x your release altitude

- Turn in and fly level...wait for the diamond

- Pickle (release weapon)

Wait out. Im putting this into more detail with my next Combat Fundamentals manual.

Edited by 87th_Neptune

Good, then I highly recommend practical employment rather than "official" manual stuff.

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Tried your technique and no worky, maybe a video showing this?

And in video format. Fortunately (I guess) that the FPS drop actually worked in my favor as it showed the impact on the target.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11221288/parameters_example.jpg (580 kB)

^^ CLICK TO VIEW PICTURE ^^

Flying level won't work in ArmA because of engine limitation. So you are correct on level flight the diamond won't come up. Probably because of some devision by zero or negative number in the physics code.

The highest I could get a level delivery was: 700m from 2.5km Slant range

However a level release as described WILL end in a hit.

I just did a level delivery from 1000m of altitude @ 740km/h.

Release point was 4000m from target and I scored a direct hit.

No diamond was seen though. Likely for the reason as I said above.

In the picture above you see an example of a 20 degree dive. And the diamond comes up EXACTLY when expected. At 1000m altitude, mind you.

Read and practice, using my manual to get within bombing parameters:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24729

P.S.

'official' Airforce manuals ARE written for practical employment. We train as we fight.

Edited by 87th_Neptune

Thanks, but we all have our techniques and that's cool too.

This puts you about 590m above the deck so.... be careful in mountainous regions. And the magic question is can the range for the lock be increased so you don't fly into the ground?

Didnt I have the magic answer? :)

Actually no, I tried to replicate your technique and no joy despite numerous angles and speeds. So I'll work with mine and see if I can't get any better results and besides the point at when you see what's in your screenshot the weapon misses everytime (using the latest version of the mod), but thanks though.

So John_Spartan or Saul if you can tweak the values to maybe triple or quadruple the range it "locks" it would make a standoff weapon more standoffish and not put people in the line of AAA fire or Titan AAs.

Edited by EricJ

Practice by choosing one angle and release altitude at 740km/h. When you get that down right, you can start learning cooping with variations. It takes practice. As I describe in my manual, dont expect to be an expert bombardier in just a dozen of shots.

I can assure you the lock comes up when you are close to release parameters.

As in real life, you need to be relatively close to the parameters otherwise the bomb will miss. Even gps guided.

In real life the pilot is helped by cues giving in the CCRP sub mode.

Compare your video with the table I converted from the mk82 table. You will see it checks out precisely. (Taking 200km/h overspeed into account)

I'll explain:

The low resolution makes is difficult to read your HUD but...

- Your FPM is at the -20 degree ladder

- the target is just above the -25 degree ladder: thus your Aim-off is about 4 degree.

- You speed is somwhere near 900km/h which is little less than 200km/h over speed

1. For a 20 degree dive bombing run with the parameters above (@ 740km/h) the release altitude would be 517 meters.

2. Your speed is about 180km/h to high so expect the bomb to fall 100 meters long.

3. #2 would decrease your aim-off significantly. So you need to release from a higher altitude. See page 6 of my manual: You want to make the bomb release 150m higher to compensate for this.

4. 517 + 150 = 667m

5. Reviewing your video. This checks out. The diamond comes up slightly under this altitude

Conclusion: The diamond comes up in normal dropping parameters.

Video and tutorial mission is comming soon.

Edited by 87th_Neptune

But I hit the target, which matters more than just technical aspects, so thanks for the critique.

But we're talking about a JDAM, not an Mk.82 slick. A JDAM is guided either by GPS or GPS/Laser, not guided via CCIP, which a Mk.82 slick is. Remember the JDAM series have a new tailkit and strap-on inertial guidance system which self-guides (sure there are launch basket procedures, got it) the bomb to the target and employed in the real world differently (Standoff versus barreling in as what happens in-game). You have to remember the larger the diamond with the bomb the more the spread when locked, much like your rifle when moving when you enable the cursor. Which is why I'm hitting 100% when locked on rather than trying to pelt it from the sky without a tighter diamond. The JDAM is a precision munition, NOT something you toss around without CCIP. Now if CCIP was modeled to some degree in the game (and we're using unguided bombs) and we were using Mk. 82s then it'd apply, but then again I'd still hit targets without the manual in the first place anyway after getting used to the error of they physics of Arma 3 or if the CCIP was good enough.

And this is a recommended value for the CfgWeapons section.

minRange=10;

minRangeProbab=0.80000001;

midRange=5000;

midRangeProbab=0.89999998;

maxRange=10000;

Then again it may be hard-coded or a set value, or it may help the situation as unfortunately I can't tweak the files for testing.

So theoretically you'll be able to lock on a target ten klicks out (approximately half the distance of Altis) using these values but given Arma 3...

And also, there is no CCIP modeled so realistically you can bomb in most attitudes, altitudes, and speed, and if your CCIP is good enough, you'll hit the target anyway right?

Edited by EricJ

Yes gbu's are indeed guided munitions. But still need to be released close to parameters. Otherwise the bomb will miss. Regardless of guidance. Thats why we use CCRP to get there. Even then we prefer atleast some dive angle (mostly 10 degrees) since that gives the most stable input for the computer. Jdam and lgb efficiency is over modellen is all games I have seen so far. (Including DCS and BMS)

It makes sense for the diamond to come up slightly late, making the bomb fall long. That gives the bomb slightly extra energy for manouvering. If the diamond would come early, it will fall short regardless.

Too much energy is nog good either though. The bomb is limited in manouverability. That would explain why the diamond disappears.

In arma the code behind the lock-diamond seems odd though. In level flight its not comming up, where it should. When I just pickle, it hits the target unguided but the diamond won't come up.

Edited by 87th_Neptune

Then it'd be a different ballgame and it would give the physics a real test and better applications rather than having to run in as such with either method as either way its still too damn close, but even a five kay diamond would still be preferable as the Titan AA has at least a max range of 4800, even 6000 or 7000 if the diamond came up it would make things easier.

Exactly. IRL dropping from 10 miles at 30.000 ft is very common.

In short. There should be a whole new system to these bombs. Didnt Mando make a script once??

I was planning to get my head into making a decent JDAM script. Without changing the physics.

I know he did it for A2? I had VBS2 back then and remember Mando bombs, etc. but never checked it out honestly as I honestly don't see the point of fixed wing in the Operation Flashpoint>Arma 3 series of games due to small map sizes, etc. Altis is okay as it has some distance to fly in but realistically the bigger the island the happier I'll be.

But yeah even then, as long as I can pickle off farther the better.

We are developing a GPS/ INS system for the F18 and Su35. It wont have a CCRP as it is script heavy and both aircraft are large enough file sizes as is. We are spending time on R&D coming up with a system that is simple and efficient and kinda fits withe arma game platform.

Edited by Saul

I know this probably a long shot but is there some way to turn off mirrors, get a non-mirror version - Something, anything?

With the flashing mirrors bug that flash even when PiP is off, I'm close to having a seizure flying this plane which is a bloody shame.

We are developing a GPS/ INS system for the F18 and Su35. It wont have a CCRP as it is script heavy and both aircraft are large enough file sizes as is. We are spending time on R&D coming up with a system that is simple and efficient and kinda fits withe arma game platform.

Couldn't you make it simpler?

As you may know the player can add his own waypoint by shift-clicking on the map. Why not make a JDAM try to keep it's nose in the direction of that location? (Within certain limits)

I think the Arma physics should do the rest for you.

User friendly. Light scripting.

Edited by 87th_Neptune