Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW CIVS: ambient civilians and traffic for Arma 3

Hello all,

NEW TO SCRIPTING NEED HELP

I am looking for some more information as how to call this script.

do I add it to the init of my player? Put down a trigger and call it? I don't think I am doing this right, so any information would be greatly appreciated..

Hello all,

NEW TO SCRIPTING NEED HELP

I am looking for some more information as how to call this script.

do I add it to the init of my player? Put down a trigger and call it? I don't think I am doing this right, so any information would be greatly appreciated..

To use:

1 - Save this script into your mission directory as eg tpw_civ.sqf

2 - Call it with 0 = [200,15,10] execvm "tpw_civ.sqf", where 200 = radius, 5 = number of waypoints, 10 = how many houses per civilian

*/

The part i've highlighted in red would be what you put in the init field of your player, maybe without the comma at the end?

At the end of a line is used a semicolon :)

In your case it will be:

0 = [200,15,10] execVM "tpw_civ.sqf";

Thank you guys very much I will try this out.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

That worked out perfectly, thank you again..

Many thanks for creating this. Can you please make this MP compatible and can you add parked cars near roads like it was in the Ambient Civilian Vehicles module in Arrowhead?

What about an addon version tpw, as these civs should be ubiquitous ! I fancy having this on all the time.

Also getting non-stop spam of undefined variable in expression -errors in both scripts.

Calling them via Init.sqf

nul = [] execvm "civ.sqf";nul = [] execvm "traffic.sqf";

I am calling them via a Game Logic mate.

Also: 0 = [1000,15,4] execvm "tpw_cars.sqf"

The opfor just keep slaughtering the civilians when I use this, anybody else getting that or know why?

Hi everyone. Wow, I didn't expect so much interest in this mod. I put it up last night before I went to bed and woke to all these comments. I will address the various issues in no particular order.

1 - I was hanging off making ann addon unless there was any interest. Well there is interest and so I will do that shortly!

2 - Thanks for error reports, which I will track down. I am a bit mystified, because I tested the bloody thing for 8 hours and didn't see anything!

3 - MP will happen, it's just a challenge making sure that civilians are spawned without overlap, so that if there are 10 player units in a town there aren't 10 times as many civilians.

4 - Re cars disappearing if drivers are shot, I just need to slightly modify the condition so they disappear when the player is distant

5 - @Armasalt3, brilliant idea re the clothes. I'll put that in and credit you. I hate the way the civs all look the same.

6 - @Banky the opfor dislike civilians because

east setFriend [civilian, 0];

civilian setFriend [east, 0];

Change them to 1 and you're golden

Thanks to everyone for their enthusiasm and input, I really appreciate it.

Edited by tpw

Keep it going mate, this adds so much immersion especially flying over the Island and you see cars driving down the roads, loving it.

6 - @Banky the opfor dislike civilians because

east setFriend [civilian, 0];

civilian setFriend [east, 0];

Change them to 1 and you're golden

Ahhh. thank you. I knew I was missing something somewhere.

2 - Thanks for error reports, which I will track down. I am a bit mystified, because I tested the bloody thing for 8 hours and didn't see anything!

Well I wasn't going to post about the Undefined Variable error until I saw someone else post it. Lotta times the error is on my end so don't wanna wild goose chase ya :o

1 - I was hanging off making ann addon unless there was any interest. Well there is interest and so I will do that shortly!

my longtime favorites Nr1 in arma2: Alice, Traffic & sec ops

many thanks again :)

Yeah I'm getting undefined variable on line 62.

_m = 0; while { format ["%1", (_house) buildingPos _m] != "[0,0,0]" } do

No idea.

me and two friends just tried this in MP on local host. worked fine. lots of civs. and they actually run crouched when shots are fired. awesome job!

edit:

it's just a challenge making sure that civilians are spawned without overlap, so that if there are 10 player units in a town there aren't 10 times as many civilians.

not sure but i think the following at the start of the script should fix that:

if (isMultiplayer) then { if (!IsServer) exitwith {} };
Edited by Bad Benson

Now I want to see road rage from civilians !!

You won't have to wait long because they're shit drivers!

---------- Post added at 10:29 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

me and two friends just tried this in MP on local host. worked fine. lots of civs. and they actually run crouched when shots are fired. awesome job!

edit:

not sure but i think the following at the start of the script should fix that:

Thanks BB. If you are using TPW EBS and/or WW AICOVER then any spawned civs should react this way.

Regarding MP, I wish it was as simple as just adding that line :) I have a few things to consider

1 - If there are 2 players in the same town, civs should not spawn for both

2 - What happens to the civs if a player is killed? Don't want them just disappearing

3 - What happens to civs if 2 players are in the same area but one of them leaves the area

4 - How best to implement this system on dedicated server?

etc etc

I'll have to work through these issues so an MP version is not going to appear overnight.

---------- Post added at 10:33 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

Well I wasn't going to post about the Undefined Variable error until I saw someone else post it. Lotta times the error is on my end so don't wanna wild goose chase ya :o

Are you getting these errors in SP or MP? As I stated, these are ostensibly SP scripts for the time being and MP might be causing them to throw errors.

I got that error in single-player.

That said, I've just played again and it didn't happen, I was using game logics to spawn previously. I've now applied it to the init field of the player, but that shouldn't make any difference.

edit: also from Brisbane, Australia here, represent.

I got that error in single-player.

That said, I've just played again and it didn't happen, I was using game logics to spawn previously. I've now applied it to the init field of the player, but that shouldn't make any difference.

edit: also from Brisbane, Australia here, represent.

Hmm, mysterious. Glad it's working error free for you. I run the script from the init.sqf of my mission directory and haven't seen those kind of errors either.

Also, good to know I'm not the only Arma3 nerd in Bris!

I've gotten the error couple/few times now, and I"m playing SP. However, I am using the MP editor to play/preview my missions (just 'cause that's what all the whiz kids said to do back when I started in A2, and I'm a creature of habit).

It looks like this in full color;

Hl4yz3F.gif

I'm using dev build (obviously), 77.109561.

I'm calling your script from a tirgger, condition time > 5

Vanilla, no other scripts or mods.

But I am using the 'Tiger-Altis' fix.

Greater Dayton Oh area, outside temp 86 F, winds out of the NW :)

Just me and my squad, I hop in a Hunter and drive around, and boom goes the dynamite (error window)

Edited by R.Flagg

I've gotten the error couple/few times now, and I"m playing SP. However, I am using the MP editor to play/preview my missions (just 'cause that's what all the whiz kids said to do back when I started in A2, and I'm a creature of habit).

It looks like this in full color;

http://i.imgur.com/Hl4yz3F.gif

I'm using dev build (obviously), 77.109561.

Vanilla, no other scripts or mods.

I'm calling your script from a tirgger, condition time > 5

But I am using the 'Tiger-Altis' fix.

Greater Dayton Oh area, outside temp 86 F, winds out of the NW :)

Just me and my squad, I hop in a Hunter and drive around, and boom goes the dynamite (error window)

Thanks R.Flagg, I will look into once I get home from work. You'd hate Brisbane, in winter sometimes it's so cold it only gets to 20C (68F) during the day.

Would it be possible to get Civilians to do more actions besides driving cars and walking around?

Examples:

-driving motor boats

-using more actions like cleaning or fixing vehicles

-salt water fishing off the coast?

Just some ideas

Using some of the character animations, like the repair one, for civilians would be nice, or ambient animals within the player's radius.

@Kommiekat, @Zorg_DK: I will definitely try to enhance things eventually, at the moment I'm trying to get a solid SP/MP/Dedi implementation working. Should have an MP test release in a few hours