Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW CIVS: ambient civilians and traffic for Arma 3

Indeed it does! Please feel free to de-PBO it if you want. (Its the one on Altis)!

thanks, i give it a try!

TPW CIVS v1.00: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_CIVS_100.zip

Changes:

• First addon release
  • SP and (untested) MP client support only at this stage
  • Numerous bug fixes and code improvements from the script version (especially as regards undeclared variables and AI group handling)

Your testing and feedback is and will be greatly appreciated! Complaints about lack of dedi support will not be...

Thanks tpw!

Edited by Hatchet_AS
completely lost this morning..

This is really great, tpw - thanks!

It's too bad there are currently only two vehicles for Civs. Do you think it would be possible to add a config option to add more vehicles if, for example, we have a mod with civ vehicles in it? (I'm not sure how these things actually work so I apologize if that's a dumb request.)

Someone help out a noob please! I got this great script to work in a mission i created in the editor:yay:. How does it work now it's changed to an addon?

Will the same mission i created in the editor still spawn civilians and traffic if i use the @modfolder method:confused:

Someone help out a noob please! I got this great script to work in a mission i created in the editor:yay:. How does it work now it's changed to an addon?

Will the same mission i created in the editor still spawn civilians and traffic if i use the @modfolder method:confused:

The mod will work in any mission. The script will work in any mission that includes it. If you've got the mod, disable the script.

Thanks Dude, copy that.

Hiya mate,

Any chance of doing 2 versions, a script and an addon version please?

I don't use any addons in any of my missions that's all and this piece of work definitely needs to be in missions!

Cheers

Hiya mate,

Any chance of doing 2 versions, a script and an addon version please?

I don't use any addons in any of my missions that's all and this piece of work definitely needs to be in missions!

Cheers

Your wish is my command, I have updated the download to include the scripts.

Thats my friday night sorted.

Now animals!

Hurry!

:)

Thank You

Rgds

LoK

Cool, ty.

Haven't graduated to mods yet, but appreciate the scripts. Just playing around with the original traffic one, and changing a few lines:

_carlist = ["C_Offroad_01_F","C_Offroad_01_F","C_Offroad_01_F","C_Offroad_01_F","C_Quadbike_01_F"]; // more cars than quadbikes 

to

_carlist = ["B_Heli_Light_01_F","B_Heli_Light_01_F","O_Heli_Light_02_unarmed_F"]; // more small than large helicopters 

and

_spawncar = _car createVehicle _spawnpos; 

to

_spawncar = createVehicle [_car, _spawnpos, [], 0, "FLY"];

allows for ambient civilian air, and when adding this line:

_spawncar setObjectTexture [0,'#(argb,8,8,3)color(0.5,0,0,1)'];

immediately after the last change, you can even change the color of the helicopters (in this case, bright red).

Suddenly, Altis International is some busy airspace :D

'...tities [["Car"], tpw_car_radius];

if (|#|_x distance vehicle player < tpw_car_rad...'
Error Undefined variable in expression: _x
File TPW_CIVS\tpw_cars.sqf, line 124

Cyrano, I could comment on the air stuff also, but I'll defer to tpw, as to whether or not he wants this thread to include that discussion.

'...tities [["Car"], tpw_car_radius];

if (|#|_x distance vehicle player < tpw_car_rad...'
Error Undefined variable in expression: _x
File TPW_CIVS\tpw_cars.sqf, line 124

Cyrano, I could comment on the air stuff also, but I'll defer to tpw, as to whether or not he wants this thread to include that discussion.

Nah it's all good! The scripts are there for people to mod to their heart's content.

So were those errors from the script or the addon? SP or MP?

Sorry sir, that is from the new addon version.

It might have something to do with me using the MP editor, because I just fired it up again by starting a new test case in the SP editor, and I'm not seeing the error message yet. However, I'm also not seeing any cars yet either, and I've been roaming around here for several minutes at least, and all I'm seeing so far is walking civs, so.... ? :confused:

I wouldn't have thought simply previewing a mission in the MP editor would qualify as "playing mp", but, again, all I can say is :confused:

Reminder, I am using the 'Tiger-Altis-Fix', where we've renamed the map-altis-data.pbo to pbox. I'd love to test it w/o using that fix for you, but sadly the map is completely unplayable for me if I don't do that.

Sorry sir, that is from the new addon version.

It might have something to do with me using the MP editor, because I just fired it up again by starting a new test case in the SP editor, and I'm not seeing the error message yet. However, I'm also not seeing any cars yet either, and I've been roaming around here for several minutes at least, and all I'm seeing so far is walking civs, so.... ? :confused:

I wouldn't have thought simply previewing a mission in the MP editor would qualify as "playing mp", but, again, all I can say is :confused:

Reminder, I am using the 'Tiger-Altis-Fix', where we've renamed the map-altis-data.pbo to pbox. I'd love to test it w/o using that fix for you, but sadly the map is completely unplayable for me if I don't do that.

Hi R. There is a debug option you can bring up. Hit esc during a mission, and in the window type tpw_car_debug=true. That will tell you how many cars have been spawned. Quite often I'll go many minutes without seeing or hearing one. tpw_car_debug=false will remove the debugging.

As for the error, the only time I ever saw your exact error was when I was experimenting with code and spawning the main loop function. I wonder whether the MP is doing some kind of spawning. I wouldn't have thought renaming the pbo would cause a problem, as the mod is island agnostic (it just needs enterable houses and roads to function.

Well sir,

I typed in your debug option, and it said 'Cars 0 of 3'.

So I exited and fired up Stratis, and right away saw civvy trucks. Hit the debug option again, and it said 'Cars 3 of 3'.

So, now I am thinking it might be related to the Tiger-Altis fix I'm using of renaming the pbo after all. Also because when I use that fix, I get only dirt roads and not paved.

Hope not, since that would sorta mean I've wasted your time posting this stuff.

I guess on the bright side I may have helped establish that you can't use the MP editor-even offline on your own in just preview mode-or the pbo-renaming fix for Altis.

Think I'll just slink over here for a bit and let ya'll sort it out. :o

TPW CIVS v1.01: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_CIVS_101.zip

Changes:

• MP undefined variable errors squashed

Thanks R.Flagg and Kremator, I managed to track down the stupid error to a misplaced { and a missing flag. It's a good thing no bastard is paying me for this!

Please test in MP and let me know if the error persists. As usual, there is nothing untoward in SP.

great work with this. i used this again yesterday and despite that little script error it worked like a charm. i use EOS for enemies and the car script of yours for some ambient cars. i noticed the civs were driving like mad men and through the terrain. is the behavior and speed randomized?

will test the new version today and report back with feedback.

Nice one, thanks for that observation. You are right too. I will add a road segment count check

This got me thinking. How about Civs in boats when you head out to sea? Thanks for the mod version.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================== =

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Noob Alert!:31:

Can someone tell me what this requires me to do "Copy @TPW_CIVS\userconfig\TPW_CIVS\TPW_CIVS.hpp to your userconfig\TPW_CIVS\TPW_CIVS.hpp."

Is this for editing purposes? I am unable to get this addon to work at the moment. I had no problem with the script version.

Thanks.

Nah it's all good! The scripts are there for people to mod to their heart's content.

Thank you, tpw. I was simply trying to comply with the following disclaimer you built into the script in specifically reporting back any modification.

Disclaimer: Feel free to use and modify this code, on the proviso that you post back changes and improvements so that everyone can benefit from them, and acknowledge the original author (tpw) in any derivative works.

I'm sure for a lot of old timers around here the simple changes I posted might be just that -- simple, but speaking as someone new to scripting I appreciate the invitation to learn from other's work and share in the discussion.