Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW EBS: engine based suppression

Thanks tpw.

Will be away from my PC for a few days but look forward to seeing developments

cheers

TL;DR - Simple and lightweight player and AI suppression for Arma 3 SP using the game engine's built in bullet collision routines.

I am very much a TLDR guy, and you are very much an ingenious guy with practical solutions to problems. :)

Thanks for the mod man - really liking your creative flair.

I am very much a TLDR guy, and you are very much an ingenious guy with practical solutions to problems. :)

Thanks for the mod man - really liking your creative flair.

Thanks mate. I still haven't forgotten that it was you who showed me how to pack things up as addons way back when. If you hadn't I'd probably still be flailing around releasing half arsed scripts.

Now I see your userconfig and understand how to tweak it,but where do I paste it to once it is copied?

Any help would be helpful,

Cheers,

Mick.

"Mick, if you look in your Arma3 game directory in steam (where you should have installed @TPW_EBS) then you should see a directory call userconfig. If not, create it. All you need to do is copy or move the @TPW_EBS\userconfig\twp_ebs directory into the userconfig that you just identified. You should now have userconfig\tpw_ebs\tpw_ebs.hpp in your steam arma3 game directory."

Cheers for the speedy reply TPW,I did try that as I had an userconfig folder there,in my Arma 3 folder in Steam but it was empty,even after placing the config file inside the mod still couldn't load as it says itcan't find the userconfig file.? Strange.

I will try again and make an userconfig folder and follow your instructions,

Again respect for the help,

Mick. :).

PS: Is there meant to be an userconfig file in my arma3 location eg:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\userconfig

That should have some stuff already inside? As mine is empty?

Regards,

Mick. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another edit,sorry. :)

OK I deleted the userconfig folder (as it was empty) from: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

I made a new folder and called it userconfig,so now I have: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\userconfig

Now when I copy your TPW_EBS HPP file and put it into my userconfig folder,the game still won't load as it can't find it?

I know I am messing up somewhere but don't know where.

Any more guidance would be much appreciated,

Regards and thanks,

Edited by 3instein

when u have downloaded the TPW EBS mod

place it in your : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

now in the @TPW EBS folder u see there is another folder called user config,

copy the folder go to : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3

and copy the content there.

that's the easiest way to make it work, when it asks to overwrite click yes to all and u got the wanted functions in game.

your welcome :)

concerning suppression, I always wanted to know, do passing bullets affect a persons vision or hearing in any way in real life? I was under the impression the only effect of suppressing the enemy was making him keep hi head down and not get his head blown off, i.e. test his common sense. and in games people add all kinds of crap like blur, deafness etc. to indicate that the player "is being suppressed". how close to reality is that? any combat veterans here?

This is the topic of many a heated discussion here :) basically if you already don't like it, you probably never will or will accept reasons it exists.

Passing bullets don't affect people's vision like that you're right, you need to think of that affect not as a literal simulation, but rather a gameplay mechanic to encourage you to act in a slightly different way. i.e. if your aim + vision is impaired for a couple of seconds, it might make you think twice about leaning around a corner to plant a perfectly aimed shot into the machine-gunner suppressing your position. Without suppression effects you can easily do this, and the chances of you being hit during your snapshoot are probably small enough to make you do that.

However I don't need to tell you that in "RL" you wouldn't do that. Because you know, you only get one life in RL. I mean - you can still certainly try it, and maybe even your return fire will in turn suppress the suppressor - but it's more of a gamble. Suppression effects promotes a different kind of gameplay, and also promotes more teamwork. Both to effectively suppress and to break out of suppression. IMO it promotes more "realistic" gameplay and gives effective suppression a genuine purpose.

OT - thanks for the release TPW :) I'll be using this for sure.

Well stone the crows, if it ain’t another great TPW masterstroke..

As always thanks for sharing..:)

Thank you everyone for the help,I finally got it working. :)

My mistake was in taking the config file itself and putting it in the userconfig folder,instead of putting the TPW-EBS folder into the userconfig folder,DOH!

Great work TPW,have been looking for a SP suppression mod for a wee while and this looks like it works really well,cheers.

I recorded a suppression test against a squad of OPFOR. The colour of the suppression shells demonstrate how effective suppressive fire is now.

TPW EBS v1.01: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_EBS_101.zip

Changes:

• Suppression shell no longer prevents explosion damage

So a wracked my brain for a way to make units react to nearby explosions. The best I could come up with was to determine the ammo class causing the explosion, work out the distance of nearest occurrence of that class to the unit, and fudge a damage factor based on the ammo's indirect hit range config entry. I have it approximating the damage the unit would take if the shell wasn't there. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing while I search for a proper fix.

@Takoda - thanks for the vid mate!

@3instein - glad you got it sorted, I look forward to your feedback.

@ChrisB - masturstroke more like it!

@DMarkwick, @sorophx, @anyone else debating suppression on this thread - my concept for player suppression effects is that they mimic the adrenaline response invoked when rounds whipcrack by a unit. I've never been shot at in real life, but I skydived for 10 years and know all about how my body reacted to the adrenaline: breathless; racing heart; shaking hands; tunnel vision. All of which the setfatigue command emulates for my player suppression fx. The passing bullets don't cause these effects themselves, the adrenaline response to the bullets does.

So here's the deal: This thread is for feedback so I can continue to improve this optional system for those who share my interest in AI/player suppression. I've (obviously) made up my mind about the merits of AI and player suppression, and would politely encourage those who would prefer to engage in the pointless activity of convincing me and others to change their point of view, via reasoning or otherwise, to head here and knock yourselves out.

Great fix, I will test it right away. Also note that your OP has the wrong link I think. It keeps downloading version 100 for me.

Great fix, I will test it right away. Also note that your OP has the wrong link I think. It keeps downloading version 100 for me.

Thanks WW, switched to the WYSIWYG editor recently and it's caused me some grief with links.

Here's another test showing how much better the AI is now thanks to this mod.

I noticed how the same AI was getting up in exactly the same position - Shame the AI don't know how to shift positions (or is that a bad example in that video of the AI being stationary in the one position?)

I noticed how the same AI was getting up in exactly the same position - Shame the AI don't know how to shift positions (or is that a bad example in that video of the AI being stationary in the one position?)

In terms of movement, suppressed AI do whatever the default AI would do (ie bugger all). I am working on a lightweight find cover system which will hopefully change that.

Thanks WW, switched to the WYSIWYG editor recently and it's caused me some grief with links.

No problem. I am a developer myself and I hate WYSIWYG for their erratic behavior. Keep up the good work :)

Nice work tpw, such a simple idea! Hopefully this method is efficient enough to inspire BI :D

concerning suppression, I always wanted to know, do passing bullets affect a persons vision or hearing in any way in real life? I was under the impression the only effect of suppressing the enemy was making him keep hi head down and not get his head blown off, i.e. test his common sense. and in games people add all kinds of crap like blur, deafness etc. to indicate that the player "is being suppressed". how close to reality is that? any combat veterans here?
This is the topic of many a heated discussion here :) basically if you already don't like it, you probably never will or will accept reasons it exists.

Passing bullets don't affect people's vision like that you're right, you need to think of that affect not as a literal simulation, but rather a gameplay mechanic to encourage you to act in a slightly different way. i.e. if your aim + vision is impaired for a couple of seconds, it might make you think twice about leaning around a corner to plant a perfectly aimed shot into the machine-gunner suppressing your position. Without suppression effects you can easily do this, and the chances of you being hit during your snapshoot are probably small enough to make you do that.

However I don't need to tell you that in "RL" you wouldn't do that. Because you know, you only get one life in RL. I mean - you can still certainly try it, and maybe even your return fire will in turn suppress the suppressor - but it's more of a gamble. Suppression effects promotes a different kind of gameplay, and also promotes more teamwork. Both to effectively suppress and to break out of suppression. IMO it promotes more "realistic" gameplay and gives effective suppression a genuine purpose.

I think it's more to do with one's natural reaction to the passing of any object nearby - think of the last time you were buzzed by a fly/bee/etc and reflexively flinched away from it, while turning your head toward it and swatting at it with your hand. When a bullet passes nearby, you probably won't see it, but there is a very definite sense of its passing - the "crack" or "snap" of the round - that causes you to flinch, pull your head into your shoulders, etc.

While we do get the audio cues in Arma, it just isn't possible to provide the sensory input of a a passing round that would trigger the same reflex, which is where the suppression effect comes in. Whether or not a screen shader/blur is the best way to simulate it is debatable. Would it make sense to instead add a quick head shake or similar action? Maybe, maybe not. Let's discuss!

In terms of movement, suppressed AI do whatever the default AI would do (ie bugger all). I am working on a lightweight find cover system which will hopefully change that.

Pleasing to read - I hope it's a smooth process for you :)

The AI will change position, and they are moving prone and crouched, in fact I'm finding they are more dangerous then ever before because they will often attempt to flank me while keeping low behind cover. This mod is easily the most realistic feeling AI I have played against, it actually feels like I am playing against human opponents.

More TPW gold. Gonna wait for the non-visible bubble version and good luck with FindCover cause that's gonna seal the deal. :)

More TPW gold. Gonna wait for the non-visible bubble version and good luck with FindCover cause that's gonna seal the deal. :)

I think you can disable the bubble in the config.

TPW, you may be the one crusader that saves Arma 3 AI from the abyss, well I’m certainly keeping my finger's crossed.

Would it be inappropriate to supply a shopping list of AI goodies needed..;):p