Sign in to follow this  
Frankdatank1218

Gun Sound QUALITY is fine, but we need more variety.

All weapons within a category (not even just caliber) sound the same. For instance:

All Battle Rifle/ DMR's sound the same

All Assault Rifles sound the same

Pistols an SMG's sound the same (other than rate of fire differences)

2 reasons this is important

1. This is not just window dressing to sound cooler obviously, being able to distinguish enemy firearm types from friendly types via sound is of great tactical signifigance

2. In this aspect, sound is downgraded from Arma 2, in which two weapons in the same category (AK and M16/M4) sound recognizably different. In Arma 2 they all sound around the same

I also noticed that but never mentioned it, 'cause in my head it seemed like such a basic thing that needed to be changed I never really believed it'd be like that on release.

I also noticed that but never mentioned it, 'cause in my head it seemed like such a basic thing that needed to be changed I never really believed it'd be like that on release.

Whoa my thoughts exactly. All assault rifles do sound pretty much the same but never thought to mention it.

I've fired AUG A1 and M16A1 but I could never actually hear the difference. Maybe there's some variance that I couldn't tell. One thing I can say though, the AUG is louder, probably because the chamber is right beside the firer's ear

Personally I believe if we still had access to some older weapons (M4/AK47 and other well known weapons) itd be much easier to get a better variety of sounds going.

I'm curious why Bohemia acts like there wont be new models of M4/AK47/MP5 etc in 2025. I honestly doubt much has changed as far as firing mechanisms go, so there is no real reason to exclude these weapons.

Lets remember how simple these weapons were when first put into service, example: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-dS-GmJJkzSE/T44RE83-j-I/AAAAAAAAAB8/UnBGoA58xis/s320/Colt+M4+Carbine.jpg and now: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7128/7566577782_7491791deb_z.jpg

Sorry was a bit off topic there. Long story short, if we had common 2013 service weapons along with the newer weapons we'd hear alot more unique sounds. But right now everything seems like a variant of the MXM and its incredibly bland.

i agree, first i tought, it's bcause of alpha, now beta, but i have a feeling, this will stay the same with release. Snipe rifles do sound different, probably MG's too, but all assault rifles the same.

Hmm, very good point I never really thought of either. Unfortunately I can't see them changing this before release so will have to rely on mod makers of course.

I disagree, no two weapons sound the same. The MX sounds very different from the Katiba and the TRG sounds different from the MK20, same goes for the MK200 and the Zafir.

OP is right. I thought the weapon sounds are more or less place holders but with the final release announcement they probably aren't anymore and I don't think the new reverb and echo stuff is going to change it significantly. They do sound too similar.

If it's still in works then good ( HEMTT and Kamaz truck vehicles share the same sample as well ) as the civilian SUV truck and ATV got new sounds too but I hope this is subject to further refinement

The only thing that bothers me is that the MX and the Mk20 sound too similar, considering the MX is 6.5 and the Mk20 is 5.56.

This is now a non-issue. sounds have been tweaked and in some cases replaced and guns sound unique enough to ID by sound.

As my limit experiences with guns, i think most of same caliber weapons have the similar sounds (and depend on the surrounded environment).

BF3(and 4) may record the sound library from the real firing guns, but I think those sounds are be digitized.

Guest Ti0n3r

Are the current sound effects final though? I mean, considering the amount of static noise and cuts at the end of most gunshot sound effects I always assumed them to be nothing more than basic unmixed placeholdes. :confused:

Both of the assault rifles and most of their variants are the same round going down roughly the same length barrel, I'm amazed that they sound as different as they do now. Most guns just sound like pops and bangs in real life anyway, the distinctive differences you hear in video games isn't really all that noticeable in real life.

Both of the assault rifles and most of their variants are the same round going down roughly the same length barrel, I'm amazed that they sound as different as they do now. Most guns just sound like pops and bangs in real life anyway, the distinctive differences you hear in video games isn't really all that noticeable in real life.

IDK I can tell an AK74 and AR (very similar rounds and equal barrel lengths) apart IRL, especially the rare times I've heard them in full auto.

7.62x39 from a 16 barrel and a 13.5 barrel sound vastly different.

Same with 5.56x45 from a 11.5 and 16 barrel. Huge difference in audible tone.

But a 5.56 from a 16 barrel and another 5.56 from a 16 barrel on another weapon should not sound very much different if at all unless there's some things like special flash hiders used.

Not exactly on-topic but the old Sound Thread is extinct.

Was curious why is it so hard to get real directional feel of where gunfire is coming from as well as proper occlusion from inside/outside, buildings in the way etc... I now little (ok nothing) of game sound design but is this something that is reasonable to do and are there any games that pull it off really well?