mankyle

Big PHYSx compatible ship. LCS 2 technological demonstrator

Aircraft tow tractors, here we come!... I think. Do the US Navy's hangar-equipped, non-carrier surface combatant warships use tow tractors?

Aircraft tow tractors, here we come!... I think. Do the US Navy's hangar-equipped, non-carrier surface combatant warships use tow tractors?
Don't think so. I was on a Spruance DD-963 class and we used the RAST system, which I would bet the Ticos and Burkes would also use. The RAST reels the ship down to the deck, and then the apparatus slides on a track in the deck to pull the helicopter into the hangar.

it depends on the ship class

Spruances, Tycos and the FFGs are all equipped with RAST.

The Burkes Flight II I don't know. But surely not the LCS

Flight II has no reason for a tow tractor, since there's no hangar or any reason to move a helicopter around on the flight deck. I would be they still have a RAST to aid the helicopter land during rough seas.

Flight IIA has the hangars so they have a RAST for the purposes I've explained. You can view this page for a picture of the flight deck on the DDG-81 (a Flight IIA) and you can see the two RAST tracks on the decks heading towards the hangar doors.

Flight II has no reason for a tow tractor, since there's no hangar or any reason to move a helicopter around on the flight deck. I would be they still have a RAST to aid the helicopter land during rough seas.

Flight IIA has the hangars so they have a RAST for the purposes I've explained. You can view this page for a picture of the flight deck on the DDG-81 (a Flight IIA) and you can see the two RAST tracks on the decks heading towards the hangar doors.

Sorry. This is what you get for typing in a hurry. I meant Flight IIA of course. You are right.

Downloaded this and had lots of fun in the editor landing choppers on it when it's moving :)

I couldn't get the option to get out so used the debug box to force myself out (and die immediately complete with watery grave) :D

Hopefully BIS will work on "Man" class to let us walk around while ships are moving. They'll be missing a huge trick if they don't get it to work imo.

Much appreciation of your work on this Mankyle :)

next version will probably have:

- working Countermeasures

- modelled glass in the bridge

- some new details in the bridge (and some PIP screens if I can manage them)

- Some new interior

- reworked GEO LOD

- Some new scripts and animations for deploying/retrieving the gunboats and the RHIB

Probable sometime during next week. Next weekend at the most

Hey mankyle nice work on this ship my question has to do with the artillery system is it just present or fully functional I can't get it to work

Hey mankyle nice work on this ship my question has to do with the artillery system is it just present or fully functional I can't get it to work

In the next version it will be functional. The problem is that right now it needs some scripting to get it working

Ok thanks for quick reply already used it in one of made up missions and love it

hello, thanks for the hard work you made . keep going . I keep eyes on this addons seem to be great ... keep going the good cap

You're right. I have tried using the Buzzard attack plane on the landing pad and it behaves just like the helicopters in the Alpha.

We will see how it ends this in the definitive version

Hi Mankyle, despite the PhysX issue, have you updated the model (added more detail to the bridge, modelled some internal rooms)? Love your ship, just want to use it more =D

Thinking in the worst case scenario: if BIS doesn´t come up with a fix for the PhysX issue, a possible workaround could be an action to "shelter the chopper" (the Littlebird and crew is teleported inside the hangar, as there isn´t an animation to put them in) and the ship can set sail, and once it stops, "deploy chopper" would turn out the chopper and crew, so they can take off or walk on deck, while the ship is static... just my 2cc ;)

For the issue with MAN class walking and the limited size LOD; I understand you cant have multiple ones per object but would it be possible (as a hacky solution with an init script) to have several separate smaller (walkable) objects and add them to the ship using attatchTo?

I'm yet to see big or small moving (walkable) object that allow Man class to stand on it.

Provide me a small object demo, and I'll re-look at a solution.

Gnat;2503028']I'm yet to see big or small moving (walkable) object that allow Man class to stand on it.

Provide me a small object demo' date=' and I'll re-look at a solution.[/quote']

If run into any issues with allowing the Man class to walk on ships, please make a ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/ and message me with the ticket.

If this gets fixed, they can implement an actual Carrier, or LHD, heck, why not both? And place them on Altis somewhere off the coast. Or even have it as a drive-able vehicle. Would bring about more Naval experience to Arma 3. Why have vast ocean with nothing to use it for?

If this gets fixed, they can implement an actual Carrier, or LHD, heck, why not both? And place them on Altis somewhere off the coast. Or even have it as a drive-able vehicle. Would bring about more Naval experience to Arma 3. Why have vast ocean with nothing to use it for?
You can have an actual carrier or LHD now... just not as a moving object unless you do whatever it is that mukcep did with CVN Ulyanovsk (no idea if hcpookie's take on Legacy of Cold War is utilizing that at all).

it crashes for me...get to the 2nd intro when opening game, botton left flickers, then crashes

Danger!

This addon / config BREAKS the A-143/Buzzard (and maybe other? )

The A-143 won't roll, won't move on the ground at all.

Haven't worked out why, but likely related to this CONFIG entry.

class PhysXMaterials {
class DriveOn : PhysXMaterialBase {

Can't verify the config entry's relationship, but I can verify the described behavior... while the flight deck obviously only supports VTOL, in my case I also noticed before that the A 143 Buzzard can't even taxi on the deck.

Yeah, Gnat is quite right, I had this issue since the Buzzard was implemented back in the BETA, and couldn´t pinpoint the cause... thanks a lot man! =)

BTW, is this ship still being developed? I has lotsa pottencial and all ships are welcome to populated Altis/Stratis seas!

Unfortunately mankyle hasn't posted on the BI forums since September 10th (right before launch), although in mid-August mankyle posted some intended changes for the ship, though the one most relevant to the intent described in the OP would have been a reworked GEO LOD; in any case, "If anyone can tackle this ship I give my permission to tinker, modify or do whatever you want with this model." (Back in early July he declared that "THis addon should only be considered as a technology demostrator for getting ideas of how to set a PHYSx compatible, multiturret big ship. it is not completely modelled and not textured.")

I had the same issue with the C-5, Gnat, and the only thing that seemed to fix it was switching from simulation airplaneX back to normal airplane.