mankyle

Big PHYSx compatible ship. LCS 2 technological demonstrator

Unfortunately mankyle hasn't posted on the BI forums since September 10th (right before launch), although in mid-August mankyle posted some intended changes for the ship, though the one most relevant to the intent described in the OP would have been a reworked GEO LOD; in any case, "If anyone can tackle this ship I give my permission to tinker, modify or do whatever you want with this model." (Back in early July he declared that "THis addon should only be considered as a technology demostrator for getting ideas of how to set a PHYSx compatible, multiturret big ship. it is not completely modelled and not textured.")

Hi there. Unfortunately I'm inmersed in BS now (Job issues) and I don`t have time anymore to dedicate to this addon. So if you want to tinker, modify, copy, clone, retexture or basically do whatever you want to this addon you can do it.

Sorry for not having been able to answer your PMs, Chortles!!!

I hope that you wouldn't be averse to Q&A re: your implementation, even if you at this time can't progress on it? For example, JDog remarked that he made his Nimitz to scale with the real-life warship... what about this and Independence in real life? It doesn't seem like it was 1:1, possibly more like sub-60 meters long in-game...

I don't think the intention was ever to bring Independence in-game, it was to demonstrate the new technologies ArmA 3 provides, and to give the community a test-bed for finding the boundaries and pushing them. The hope was that with the lessons learned from his creation, others could create working ships and aircraft carriers.

I get you, but part of my interest was that IRL Independence's length is right up there with destroyers and frigates, hence the interest in if this was somehow a single-model that had been artificially scaled down to under 60 meters, or the infamous multiple-models-stitched-together-yet-moving...

Would it be possible for anyone to help me with this? I have stretched out the back portion of the LCS by 200. I am still falling through in the same holes as before I stretched it out. I am trying to test aircraft and need a floating runway.

The only jet I've had that didn't explode on the ship was the SU-35. The BI physx jet sits on the ship but cannot move. When landing the bottom level of the ship seems to safely catch the jet and I have been able to land safely on the bottom level. (I did not stop in time in the video)

This is the modified ship here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/djen598v3lqvmoh/Gj9Tp-Ggvn

And here are two videos showcasing the problems. Note that damage is set to false because the ship doesn't like the jets most of the time and there is a wall or other structure at the back that damages you no matter what. I tried using Gnats modified version and then stretching it out but the jets seemed to not like that as much as the original version stretched out.

Edited by ProGamer

I am trying to test aircraft and need a floating runway.

could you not just use the A3 nimitz port ?

OMG

I remember that I gave my permission to modify, tweak, edit or basically rape the model I did but this is, this is, this is.... weird!!!!

Everything for reaching where no (class) man has ever been!!!

Now seriously!!!

Weird thing you did to the LCS!!!

could you not just use the A3 nimitz port ?

The Nimitz cannot be driven and is not affected by waves. The Nimitz is also a static structure.

---------- Post added at 01:18 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

OMG

I remember that I gave my permission to modify, tweak, edit or basically rape the model I did but this is, this is, this is.... weird!!!!

Everything for reaching where no (class) man has ever been!!!

Now seriously!!!

Weird thing you did to the LCS!!!

I needed a testing platform for fixed wing aircraft on ships. :D

I tried to make a floating runway with a driver but It didn't work, so I used the LCS to do it instead. I have to agree though it does look really weird but it gets the job done. I hope that it is ok with you so that I can continue work on testing the Physx of moving vehicles on moving vehicles.

Edited by ProGamer

I did write that I clearly gave permission to do whatever you wanted to the model. I think this statement is quite clear. The only thing I wanted to transmit is that it is kind of a mongrel thing you did to the p3d. I mean.... It weird!!!!

As some other have posted unless BIS changes things in the core engine so other classes besides Helicopters can be moved with PHYSx it is pointless to continue with these experiments but it is up to you

No problem with whatever you do with the LCS 2

I did write that I clearly gave permission to do whatever you wanted to the model. I think this statement is quite clear. The only thing I wanted to transmit is that it is kind of a mongrel thing you did to the p3d. I mean.... It weird!!!!

This is groundbreaking. You've invented a new license:

Arma Public Ridicule License (APRL)

With this licence you are free to adapt (i.e. modify, rework or update) and share (i.e. copy, distribute or transmit) the material under the following conditions:

Attribution - You must attribute the material in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the material).
   Noncommercial - You may not use this material for any commercial purposes.
   Arma Only - You may not convert or adapt this material to be used in other games than Arma.
   Author Ridicule - You must accept that author thinks what your are doing with it is terrible and that you should feel bad for doing it.

Author Ridicule - You must accept that author thinks what your are doing with it is amazing and that you should feel great for doing it.

Shadow, fixed it for you.

Arma Public Ridicule License (APRL)

With this licence you are free to adapt (i.e. modify, rework or update) and share (i.e. copy, distribute or transmit) the material under the following conditions:

Attribution - You must attribute the material in the manner specified by the author or licensor (but not in any way that suggests that they endorse you or your use of the material).

Noncommercial - You may not use this material for any commercial purposes.

Arma Only - You may not convert or adapt this material to be used in other games than Arma.

Author Ridicule - You must accept that author thinks what your are doing with it is terrible and that you should feel bad for doing it.

ROFL!!!!!

And this model (which is awful if you ask me) started just as an experiment to see wether I was able to model something in Oxygen. I think that for my first model it wasn't that bad. And regarding my opinion about what you did... I just think that it is weird... Nothing more nothing less... You can do whatever you want with that model. Up to you!!!

As some other have posted unless BIS changes things in the core engine so other classes besides Helicopters can be moved with PHYSx it is pointless to continue with these experiments but it is up to you

Waiting for BI to change things will never get anywhere because there is no pressure to do so. Also scripted solutions are not out the question either...

Hi all,

i'm a little bit confused. I've read three threads all discussing nearly the same.

1) This thread here

2) "The answer you were waiting for: carriers are possible"

3) "AttachToWithMovement: Walkable Vehicle Interriors and Exterirors"

I want to make some huge ships (destroyer ore something in this direction), and submarines. They should be walkable like in BF1942.

I'm a little bit confused about it it's possible with arma 3 atm or not and what'ts the way to do it.

THX

The difference is that this thread was about a specific prototype mod. As "walkable big ships" in general, Gnat's Fast Sea Frame mod is a more recently developed example of what's possible now... unfortunately the TL;DR is that "big ships are walkable only when stationary because currently there isn't appropriate character-and-deck friction applied", and I don't believe that anyone has pulled off a naval craft with an enclosed walkable interior (on both this and FSF the walkable area is basically the helicopter deck, and on FSF there's an open 'bay' for armed speedboats that's reached by a catwalk at the starboard aft) because vehicles don't have walkable enclosed interiors but rather fixed-position seats/stations... unlike buildings.

Just to inform that I have restarted working on this project.

for the moment I have added:

- Improved textures

- added new details to the bridge with animated sticks, buttons and screen.

- Added new details to the Hangar and mission bay

- PIP screens for gunners.

- reworked GEO LOD and Road LOD

- Added two Mk 46 30 mm guns

- edited 57 mm ammo values for better simulating real Mk 110 weapon

- edited SeaRAM weapon values for making it more resistant to countermeasures.

Some new pictures to come. I will post some pictures during the weekend.

mankyle had an idea for making the helocopters stick to the flight deck perhaps it would be possible to do the load cargo function like 15thburnes has on his lcac model i also noticed he has the prepare for loading which makes the ship/lcac/vehicle unmovable which lets people and vehicles walk/move around safely without the lcac/ship possibly moving

Just to inform that I have restarted working on this project.

for the moment I have added:

- Improved textures

- added new details to the bridge with animated sticks, buttons and screen.

- Added new details to the Hangar and mission bay

- PIP screens for gunners.

- reworked GEO LOD and Road LOD

- Added two Mk 46 30 mm guns

- edited 57 mm ammo values for better simulating real Mk 110 weapon

- edited SeaRAM weapon values for making it more resistant to countermeasures.

Some new pictures to come. I will post some pictures during the weekend.

Sweet!

Great, quite anxious to see those improvements! A3 needs more naval stuff! =D (and bigger targets to use Kh-29 or the Harpoon against lol)

Can you dig it?

I can dig it. Another target for the glorious CSAT aviation force.

Good news and bad news

I have continued working on this and the GEO LOD for class Man is MUCH more stable now. It is possible to walk over almost the whole ship. Only an small part on the ship's stern is not walkable.

I have added much more details to the textures, two new turrets, lights and many details.

I have some new pictures of the ship but unfortunately steam cloud isn't working at the moment so I cannot post them now.

This will be Beta version 1.0 and these are the improvements:

- Added new textures

- Added Railings on the flightdeck.

- Reworked hangar interior.

- Reworked GEO LOD and PHYSx LOD. Now GEO LOD is much more stable

- Added two new turrets with 30 mm cannons. (Still WIP)

- Edited weapon values for SeaRAM missile launcher and MK 110 57 mm autocannon

- Edited PHYSx engine values so the ship doesn't list that much when turning. Now when changing direction ship remains much more at level.

TO DO

- Add Doors

- In the LCS 2 there is a ceiling crane inside of the mission bay. This ceiling crane will be used for deploying RHIBs, SDVs and the RMMV.

- Reuse Arma 2 RHIBs and adapt them to Arma 3 so they can be used with the ceiling crane and the stern door.

- Create a RMMV (Remote Multipurpose Minehunting Vehicle) that can be controled from the ship or with a UAV console that can be used to map minefields. I have already created the model. It only lacks textures but I'm having problems setting it as a remote controlled vehicle.

Need help with:

- Creating normal maps and RVMATs: I have absolutely NO idea about that. Anyone could lend a hand?

- Scripting: I have had the idea of setting a fake weapon (ala Car Horn) that when fired an script is called (via onfire eventhandler) that checks for objects in the nearby of the vehicle and creates markers n the ma. Just for the vehicles crew. I don't have much experience on scripting.

BTW. I will release this project fully unbinarized so anyone can play with it or modify as they wish. I hope to be able to upload something during the weekend. I will try to post pictures before that.

good news and bad news

i have continued working on this and the geo lod for class man is much more stable now. It is possible to walk over almost the whole ship. Only an small part on the ship's stern is not walkable.

I have added much more details to the textures, two new turrets, lights and many details.

I have some new pictures of the ship but unfortunately steam cloud isn't working at the moment so i cannot post them now.

This will be beta version 1.0 and these are the improvements:

- added new textures

- added railings on the flightdeck.

- reworked hangar interior.

- reworked geo lod and physx lod. Now geo lod is much more stable

- added two new turrets with 30 mm cannons. (still wip)

- edited weapon values for searam missile launcher and mk 110 57 mm autocannon

- edited physx engine values so the ship doesn't list that much when turning. Now when changing direction ship remains much more at level.

To do

- add doors

- in the lcs 2 there is a ceiling crane inside of the mission bay. This ceiling crane will be used for deploying rhibs, sdvs and the rmmv.

- reuse arma 2 rhibs and adapt them to arma 3 so they can be used with the ceiling crane and the stern door.

- create a rmmv (remote multipurpose minehunting vehicle) that can be controled from the ship or with a uav console that can be used to map minefields. I have already created the model. It only lacks textures but i'm having problems setting it as a remote controlled vehicle.

Need help with:

- creating normal maps and rvmats: I have absolutely no idea about that. Anyone could lend a hand?

- scripting: I have had the idea of setting a fake weapon (ala car horn) that when fired an script is called (via onfire eventhandler) that checks for objects in the nearby of the vehicle and creates markers n the ma. Just for the vehicles crew. I don't have much experience on scripting.

Btw. I will release this project fully unbinarized so anyone can play with it or modify as they wish. I hope to be able to upload something during the weekend. I will try to post pictures before that.

outstanding

Hey mankyle, I don´t know if you recall that but your LCS2 ship had an issue (maybe due to geo lod so it may be already fixed but...) that made airplanes "stuck" to ground, the Buzzard wouldn´t move... modded airplanes like the Superhornet or the cesna had no problem, but vanilla airplane did... I´ve stopped using your futuristic ship due to this issue, hope it is fixed now!

Anxious for the beta! Cheers!